Home
Posted By: Sakoluvr Wood ducks on the boxes! - 02/05/23
Just put up 2 new wood duck boxes. Have 2 different pairs checking things out. Here are a couple of drakes on top while the hens popped in.

Zoom in if you can. Cell phone picture

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: asheepdog Re: Wood ducks on the boxes! - 02/05/23
That’s awesome, woodies are some beautiful birds.
Posted By: rong Re: Wood ducks on the boxes! - 02/05/23
Always liked wood ducks,spring is in the air.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Wood ducks on the boxes! - 02/05/23
You need some snake guards.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Wood ducks on the boxes! - 02/05/23
I agree! Luckily we don't have many varmints. Since it's my yard, we keep things in check year round. I am in the suburbs.
Posted By: longarm Re: Wood ducks on the boxes! - 02/05/23
Very cool!
Have you had success before with the boxes so close to the ground/water? I've never seen them that low.
Posted By: readonly Re: Wood ducks on the boxes! - 02/05/23
congrats. I put up three around my 2 acre pond 6 years ago. Never have had any ducks in them. Did find an owl napping in one once.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Wood ducks on the boxes! - 02/05/23
The low one is out in the water. The ducks don’t care. Had a hen in there today. We rarely see any snakes or raccoons, but they are kept in check. As soon as the bird suet cake disappears or something messes with the bird feeder, out comes the live trap. The other box is about 6 feet above the water

Just put out the box in the water back in December. The other box was used last year.
Posted By: longarm Re: Wood ducks on the boxes! - 02/05/23
Sako,
I was just now reading up on placement of wood duck boxes and sure enough you are spot on. Hope you get clutches of wood ducklings!
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Wood ducks on the boxes! - 02/05/23
That's great Sakoluvr wood ducks are so beautiful. Good Work!

I live on a lake and have all kinds of ducks on my property, pelicans too, it's wonderful isn't it?

KB
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Wood ducks on the boxes! - 02/05/23
Originally Posted by navlav8r
You need some snake guards.

God bless you. Thanks

Coon guards too?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Wood ducks on the boxes! - 02/05/23
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
The low one is out in the water. The ducks don’t care. Had a hen in there today. We rarely see any snakes or raccoons, but they are kept in check. As soon as the bird suet cake disappears or something messes with the bird feeder, out comes the live trap. The other box is about 6 feet above the water

Just put out the box in the water back in December. The other box was used last year.

Good deal.

Dad always had about 9 boxes out on 3 ponds on his 400 acres in E Texas.
Ooooeeek! Ooooeeeek!

Wood ducks are cool.
© 24hourcampfire