Home
Posted By: JMUPT Little Butchering this Weekend - 02/05/23
I got together with my brother, dad, and future brother in law to butcher 2 steers from our farm on Friday and Saturday. 2 weeks ago we hauled them in to a slaughter house to have them killed, cleaned, and hung for 2 weeks. Steers ended up being 400lbs a half. Picked them up and got to work Friday morning. It took us 7 hrs to cut and package everything but the hamburger, then took us an additional 5 hours to do the hamburger.
Here they are in our cooler.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here are some ribeyes, filets, strips, flat irons, and brisket.

Slicing so top round for steak and cheese.

Finally the hamburger, ended up with a little over 300lbs.
Strong work.

What did you finish them on? Fat looks nice and white.
Grain mixture of oats, corn, hay and I can't remember what else. Dad and brother work the farm.
You have a very nice set up. Looks like they were fed properly, looks good.
Thank you, it has taken a long time to get itbtobwhere it is. The steers weighed about 1350 lbs live weight.
Awesome. Looks great
That's looking good! I'm not buying any beef until the venison runs out. Enjoy!
Nice beef....Nice equipment.
Lookin’ good. That’s slightly different than when i’m looking at butchering a deer. 😁
Y'all look like some real pros. I want a pic of the meat grinder.
Here is the grinder. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-commercial-grade-1-3-4hp-carnivore-meat-grinder.
It has done 10 steers, 30 hogs and about 100 deer in the last 5 years. This will be the last year for it as it's leaking a little grease and doesn't want to start up if it's below 65 degrees. We are going to try and find a used commercial grinder. We can't complain about the grinder though. It has probably ran through 15k lbs of meat counting 1st and 2nd grinds. Not bad for a $800 dollar investment.
That's a lot of work,but very rewarding.
What grade would they classify as?

P
Originally Posted by JMUPT
Here is the grinder. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-commercial-grade-1-3-4hp-carnivore-meat-grinder.
It has done 10 steers, 30 hogs and about 100 deer in the last 5 years. This will be the last year for it as it's leaking a little grease and doesn't want to start up if it's below 65 degrees. We are going to try and find a used commercial grinder. We can't complain about the grinder though. It has probably ran through 15k lbs of meat counting 1st and 2nd grinds. Not bad for a $800 dollar investment.

I have a large Montgomery Wards grinder my Grandparents bought in the 1940's after WW II....its a Beast weighing about 40 pounds it has been used for grinding and making sausage from cows, pigs , wild game and any thing that's needed to be ground every year....we only buy chickens and turkeys processed but end up grinding some of them....
Other than cleaning after ever use is every 5 years change the oil in the gear box with 75W-90 and new gaskets....there a Local shop that sharpens knives that I have sharpen the knives and heads every other year....
Originally Posted by cisco1
Nice beef....Nice equipment.
My thoughts exactly. That's a lot of beef.
I have a little $95 grinder that I bought for making venison sausage and burger. It says "Two Pounds Per Minute." But it means, Two Pounds Per Ten Minutes.
I have ground up hundreds of pounds of venison. Slow. Plus, the sausage, I have to grind twice. I always wanted one of those expensive Cabelas grinders.
Absolute garbage.

I only eat rutted up elk and deer.
Holy cry, there are two reasons why I no longer shoot mule deer bucks in the rut.

1. Guilt

2. They taste like chit!

Looks like a very nice setup J!

We sold our steer calves last Thursday, they weren't as big as yours!
Looks awesome. What kind of fee and wait time for the slaughterhouse.

I got a chamber vaccuum sealer and decent grinder this year, along with a burger press, a good stainless table, and some good knives. Makes a huge difference. The chamber sealer is a complete game changer IMO. Easy to use and does a great job.
We booked the slaughter house a year in advance. It been that way the last 2 years. My brother is buddies with the manager of the slaughter house, he charged us $75 to kill clean and hang. I couldn't agree more on the chamber sealer. We had a process + sealer that was making an awful noise and would blow oil out with heavy use. So we decided to get a new one for this year. Then we found a guy who works on them in PA and he put a new motor and went through it, works great now.
That was a lot of work. Guessing you have a back up generator for the freezers?
Great looking beef! Shop too.

👍
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
That was a lot of work. Guessing you have a back up generator for the freezers?

My dad's house does, mine unfortunately does not. If we were to lose power I would be buying one quickly.
© 24hourcampfire