Home
Does anyone know an easier way than paint stripper and a 3800 psi power washer?
Gray paint
Steam cleaner.
Sand blast.

Osky
I think if the pavement is asphalt maybe try a hot chemical like gasoline...

On concrete?

Maybe the same?

Lacquer Thinner is pretty hot also... but expensive
Originally Posted by JOG
Steam cleaner.
The Power washer has heat and doesn't seem to help much, don't think they would go with sandblasting.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

On concrete?

Maybe the same?

The jell paint stripper is 65 a gallon plus tax, probably going to use over 5 gallons.
A sand blaster will work, but it can change the finish on the concrete and be almost as visible as the parking stripes. I would only use a sand blaster if I just wanted the stipes gone and the rest didn't matter.
The parking lot is at a mosque, Builder I do a lot of work for asked me to remove them so it could be restriped, the builder is a Muslim. He's paying me well for it, but I'm doing it more as a favor since it's not something I normally do.
I once used a sandblasting contractor who used dry ice pellets. Knocked off the coatings and the medium simply disappears.
Originally Posted by JOG
A sand blaster will work, but it can change the finish on the concrete and be almost as visible as the parking stripes. I would only use a sand blaster if I just wanted the stipes gone and the rest didn't matter.

What JOG said is correct
On roads we usually use a small asphalt grinder on a bobcat.... at the airports FAA doesn't allow that method so they use a special sand blaster that's mounted on a truck. It's a PIA no matter what method and will leave evidence of the stripe no matter what in my experience.
Crews that paint the highway lines have walk behind grinders. They work great. No idea where you could rent one.

Wear a damn good mask!
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by JOG
Steam cleaner.
The Power washer has heat and doesn't seem to help much, don't think they would go with sandblasting.

Try one of the “whirly” tips.

Not sure the name, but it spins.
Originally Posted by JOG

True but they use a lot of product for sand blasting these days that isn’t sand, but hard enough to remove paint. I saw one site where the guy said he was using hulls. I didn’t ask any more, and it seemed to be working well however I haven’t been back to see the finished job.

Osky
Sand blaster, blasted area will darken in time
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Crews that paint the highway lines have walk behind grinders. They work great. No idea where you could rent one.

Wear a damn good mask!
Sandblast maybe
In the past we have used a propane weed burner,to heat up and scorch paint or tape, then use a sand baster,with a showerbalster head,not a fine focal point tip, go fast and dont let it rest,,
The parking lot is at a mosque, Builder I do a lot of work for asked me to remove them so it could be restriped, the builder is a Muslim. He's paying me well for it, but I'm doing it more as a favor since it's not something I normally do.

A MOAB would remove the stripes... wink
It can alter the concrete's finish and be almost as noticeable as the parking stripes, but a sand blaster will still function.
Paint over existing stripes is by far the easiest and least expensive. Sand blasting is will get rid of stripes but leave scarred concrete where the stripes were and is expensive and messy.
Spinning tires work pretty good.
just pour some muriatic acid on it...
Anything that takes the.paint off is going to leave the.not weathered concrete visible. The whole parking lot will have to be blasted with sand water or whatever to clean concrete. Otherwise there will be stripes visible.
Maybe oops paint remover or Zip Strip. Try in an inconspicuous spot. M
Muriatic acid will turn the concrete yellow.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

On concrete?

Maybe the same?

The jell paint stripper is 65 a gallon plus tax, probably going to use over 5 gallons.
This might be my first attempt. Particularly if the strips are the thicker adhesive type. Maybe try acetone applied with a roller to stay one the painted areas. Then hit them with a steam cleaner at the edges.
Does anyone know an easier way than paint stripper and a 3800 psi power washer?
Dry ice pellet blaster...
Environmental safe, doesn't leave any residue.
Check into soda blasting. We have used it to remove striping and emulsion oil from concrete.

Not as aggressive a using sand for your abrasive.

Just like it sounds it's a soda of some sort. Can actually taste it, tastes like baking soda.

No pics as I have gotten out of that line of work.
© 24hourcampfire