Home
Posted By: Griffon Stihl blower help - 02/23/23
I’ll start by saying I have limited mechanical abilities. I have a stihl blower that I use in the winter to clear sidewalks after a light snowfall and in the warmer months to clear the deck of leaves and other debris. It starts, runs and idles good but after the engine has warmed up it hesitates when I hit the throttle and wants to die out unless I feather the throttle. If it does die out it starts again with one pull. It does this in both cold and warm weather. I don’t mind taking it to a small engine mechanic but I am hoping to get an idea of the problem so I’m not paying for parts or work I don’t need. I use ethanol free gas a synthetic oil and also add a little sea foam.
Thanks, Paul
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Stihl blower help - 02/23/23
Stihl usually has some pretty good sales once or twice a year, you'd probably be able to get a new one for about what it would cost to service the old one. But if you decide to try repairs yourself, this is where I get all my chainsaw parts and they've always been pretty good.

Link

Phil
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Stihl blower help - 02/23/23
Get a Milwaukee one and thank me later
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Stihl blower help - 02/23/23
I have a bunch of stihl stuff collecting dust with the exception of my big chainsaws because the battery stuff is just as good and more convenient
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Stihl blower help - 02/23/23
Make sure air filter is clean. H-High throttle adjustment screw clockwise increases fuel mix, counterclockwise decreases. Youtube for more details.
Posted By: hanco Re: Stihl blower help - 02/23/23
It’s the spark arrestor, get new one or use torch to burn oil out, brush it, put back in. Google this, several videos on u tube. That will be a 25.00 charge for this info. Dial BR 5409 to get my address!
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Stihl blower help - 02/23/23
Originally Posted by hanco
It’s the spark arrestor, get new one or use torch to burn oil out, brush it, put back in. Google this, several videos on u tube. That will be a 25.00 charge for this info. Dial BR 5409 to get my address!

Yeah that one too.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Stihl blower help - 02/23/23
I have the bigger backpack blower and have had the same problems, but its nearly 20 years old. Couple things: Use good gas - 50:1 premix red can fuel from the hardware or big box store. Second, take off the muffler screen and burn the gunk off with a torch. If you can get it started, let it run all the old fuel out or dump what's in there. After that, you might need a deeper dive into it. Clean out the carb and air filter. Carb cleaner and I would buy a air filter, their not very expensive. All else fails, buy a carb kit off flea bay for $20. Plenty of Youtube vids to show how to install and tune it. Mustie1 has a good channel as does donyboy73, just google foo them.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Stihl blower help - 02/23/23
As they said. Spark arrestor filter. Also lean your mixture out.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Stihl blower help - 02/23/23
I actually took my spark arrestor off 10 years ago.
© 24hourcampfire