Home
Posted By: 10gaugemag Front bumper spare tire?? - 02/28/23
Anybodys pa ever have a 3/4 ton Jimmy with the spare tire mounted above the front bumper?

The compass on the front glass got me thinking about pa's red 3/4 ton GMC.

Even had a steering knobber on the steering wheel along with that coompass mounted on the center of the dash.
Not many places a man couldn’t venture with one of those, a slide in camper and a couple cartons of Camels.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Not many places a man couldn’t venture with one of those, a slide in camper and a couple cartons of Camels.
He had the camper too. Wasn't always in the truck.

We hauled pallets to Coke in the bed a few times when we weren't hauling logs to the sawmill.

Come to think of it I don't know if there was a spare on the front of the 65 C-70 or not.

No filters on the Camels. Uncle still smokes em.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Front bumper spare tire?? - 02/28/23
Yes, on a yellow 1967 3/4 ton Ford.
Posted By: bcp Re: Front bumper spare tire?? - 02/28/23

smile

Bruce
I need to get one mounted on here.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Had one bolted on the roof of the 1 ton international
Back in the 80s the old guys had them. I think they died out.

Now the old guys have caps (toppers). If you see one on a pickup, you can be right more than not, that the owner collects social security.
Can't forget the front bumper trailer hitch either.

Made it easier to put your boat in when the overhead camper was in the bed.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Front bumper spare tire?? - 02/28/23
That’s where I hang my canvas water bags off of when Im reenacting the grapes of wrath
The tire or the trailer hitch?
Forgot gramps had one of them donkey hood ornaments with red red or orange eyes on the GMC.

Think the donkey was sitting on his ass.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Front bumper spare tire?? - 02/28/23
My farmer boss in the 90s had a late 70s 1 ton GMC flatbed single rear wheel. Had the white flat iron grill guard with the tire mounted to it. We washed and waxed every truck and tractor and combine he owned twice a year, pickups probably 4 times a year. That GMC he had bought new and then he had an 89 and then a 97. So it was 3rd in line but he still kept it up meticulously. If I wasn’t a poor college kid when he had his farm auction I’d have loved to bought any of the 3.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Can't forget the front bumper trailer hitch either.

Made it easier to put your boat in when the overhead camper was in the bed.
Like this?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Beagler410
Back in the 80s the old guys had them. I think they died out.

Now the old guys have caps (toppers). If you see one on a pickup, you can be right more than not, that the owner collects social security.

Daughters 19 year old boyfriend just bought a pickup with a nice cap.
He loves it. Secure, dry place for gear. Keeps the clean clean, and the dirt out.
She hates it.
And it's not on anymore.

Poor Boy.
Not getting married for a year, and she done got them in her purse!
Posted By: norm99 Re: Front bumper spare tire?? - 02/28/23
had a 1 ton ford with the spare on the front, 10 year old girl could not stop her bike she hit the tire , not really hard , nothing broken both of us shaken up.

norm
Posted By: CCCC Re: Front bumper spare tire?? - 02/28/23
Front spare mount on the one ton 1970 GMC (3500)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: hanco Re: Front bumper spare tire?? - 02/28/23
Never had one
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
He had the camper too. Wasn't always in the truck.

We hauled pallets to Coke in the bed a few times when we weren't hauling logs to the sawmill.

Come to think of it I don't know if there was a spare on the front of the 65 C-70 or not.

No filters on the Camels. Uncle still smokes em.
Camel straights are $10.09 a pack at Walmart.
i knew a lot of old men that did the front bumper spare tire .back in the 60's thru 80's
Posted By: Distridr Re: Front bumper spare tire?? - 02/28/23
Hmm, I need to build a bumper...
Posted By: las Re: Front bumper spare tire?? - 02/28/23
I once saw a huge moose rack mounted on someone's front grill. Said someone and his buddy had the hood up and were furiously fanning steam.... smile

Best not to restrict radinator air flow.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Front bumper spare tire?? - 03/02/23
A bumper mount can bring some problems. The rack for the spare on that GMC is not on the bumper, it is frame mounted so that the wheel/tire would sit somewhat further forward to allow better air inlet flow from the sides.
© 24hourcampfire