Home
I sold my Front Tine Tiller and ordered a Rear Tine Tiller it shipped today can't wait to give it a workout when it gets here.
Been using a Troy Bilt "Horse" rear tine for yrs... It's heavy & cumbersome in tight areas and Breaking sod is a PIA... Best make a couple shallow passes first before tilling deeper... Mine is a 7 hp briggs and is underpowered in the deep stuff... I've used them with 8 HP Kohlers and they work much better... As i get older i realize it's just about time for a tractor mounted tiller...
What did you end up buying?
Over thirty years on a Snapper 5 HP rear tine. I have loved it. I run it between the rows all summer instead of a hoe. My son had absconded with it now. That's okay. He can do the search for replacement tines.

I used.the tractor, plow, and disc for soil prep. The tiller was just for cultivation.
I bought a cheap Poulan 15 years ago or so that outwardly looked identical to the Husqvarna’s except the Poulans tines only rotate one direction where as the Husky could go either direction.

I basically live in a rock pile and it beats itself to death and just keeps on going. I had to replace the carb once after leaving gas in ut over winter. $15 chinesium carb on Amazon has been good for 3 years.

Growing up dad had a front tine. Even with my cheapy Poulan, I’d never use a front tube again.

As mentioned above, breaking sod or a ton of “residue” doesn’t work well. But several shallow passes break it down well.
I've had a bcs tiller for 20 some years. It has a lifetime warranty and is a real machine .
Had rear tine since the 1980s

Owned about 5
Yes, I really like my rear tine tiller.

[Linked Image from machinefinder.com]

The tractor in the picture is not mine but I have one just like it.
I’ve been useing a Troybilt horse for several years. It operates with one hand on it except for the turn around. I’m getting ready to pick up a small front tine tiller to work around the mater plants with.
I got a Troybilt pony luv it only problem is tine rotation direction.Hold on tight and hold back is the key😉I’ve seen it hurt 2 300 pd men no schit
Bought an older Troybilt Horse with a smaller engine and snapped a rod running it too hard. Replaced it with a Briggs Stratton 1450 series and it tears [bleep] up. It's built like a tank and you can still get parts.
I have a Troybilt horse. Love it.
I also have a Craftsman front tine. I use it sometimes for certain tasks.
That thing will dig to China.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

That's a cool setup may have to do that if I live old enough.
Originally Posted by MarkWV
What did you end up buying?

The one I sold and bought both Champion 212cc 7hp the front tine was strong and did good been wanting to upgrade Home Depot had a sale. The front tine sold less than 24 hrs. So now the 62 yr. old kid has a new toy on the way to play with.
Only if it’s attached to a 3 point hitch of a tractor.
I've got a 1991 5hp Troybilt "Pony".
Started out with a B&S, now it has a Kohler.
Replaced the seals in the drive unit a couple of years back.
A true rear tine takes a bit of getting used to. Mine beat me to death until I figured it out. It's a bit wearisome in fenced corners and new ground until you get the hang of it.
I center row with rear tine and follow with front tine
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
A true rear tine takes a bit of getting used to. Mine beat me to death until I figured it out. It's a bit wearisome in fenced corners and new ground until you get the hang of it.
It don’t buck on you does it🤣?
I have a Troy Bilt Horse that I have had for a long time. Its a good machine. Only knock I have on it is the tine seals leak if you till any residue or weeds in. I need to change mine now but I've just been topping off the trans oil.
I have a Troy bilt horse. As soon as i can im gonna get a 5’ to 6’ three point tiller for my tractor.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

damn, that's the shizz right there
I have front tiller

I mostly use it to break up ground when I am digging, for what I use it for, I don't think a rear tiller would work
Only if it's a heavy SOB.
I use the ttotal fugg out of my tiller. How the hell yall make one last 35 years??

That somebitch be bucking like a bronco, squealing, handle brackets have be rewelded a couple times. Tines worn down, rounded off

Get about 6 years on average

Troy built at first was a big piece of crap. Over priced, sheared all the teeth off of that big bronze internal gear. 😳🤠🤯😱

Put them mfkers thru hell when I garden. And I’ve posted pics. I’m running it on a weekly rotation all summer
I bought an Ariens rear tine in 1984. IT was still running when I sold it in 2000 when I moved.

From 1980 to 1984 I had a front tines Merry Tiller.

Rear tines are best.

I am now in suburbia, tining with a shovel.

Shovels are worst.
Those old tiller commercials where it shows the 75 year old fart walking with one hand on his tiller, running it thru some fluffy soil that looks like brown wet sawdust.

Wanna punch that old man in the face

With blue old fart coverhalls on and 5 strap galoshes
Originally Posted by slumlord
Those old tiller commercials where it shows the 75 year old fart walking with one hand on his tiller, running it thru some fluffy soil that looks like brown wet sawdust.

Ha Ha fuqqing A right! I hate tillers. I just pay a guy to do it. Sit there drinking beer thinking how smart I am.
😀😀

Let old fart hit a head sized boulder or yet undiscovered tree root see if he holds on with one hand in his prize cabbage patch
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I’ve been useing a Troybilt horse for several years. It operates with one hand on it except for the turn around. I’m getting ready to pick up a small front tine tiller to work around the mater plants with.

Several years ago, I bought one of these for my new house. Definitely one-handed use. Absolutely tore up this north Texas hard black clay soil and broke it up into fine small pieces. I was everyone’s favorite neighbor for a couple of years. I can’t speak highly enough for this tool - especially the Kohler engine.
The entire shield fell off my pony flap n all from use
Originally Posted by RJY66
I have a Troy Bilt Horse that I have had for a long time. Its a good machine. Only knock I have on it is the tine seals leak if you till any residue or weeds in. I need to change mine now but I've just been topping off the trans oil.

Mine does the same cshit, gonna fire that MFer up tomorrow, till it up.
Last year I searched all over for a forward/reverse tine rear tiller, ended up with a Yardmax. After using that I went and bought the Yardmax front tine version too, very lightweight and just using the two tines is perfect going between rows, you can remove the side covers so it doesn’t hit any of the plants as you till. Second year using them and they took care of the garden on Thursday.
Ashamed to say after 20 yrs my Briggs gave up the ghost.Harbor had a sale and $79 brought it back 🤷‍♂️
Originally Posted by RJY66
Same here one day I’ll get to it
Yep love mine. Although I don't think this is what you're referring to.
1980 Isekai tx1500f with 4' rotary tiller.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I can run my Troybilt like that.
I have nice, soft, not rocky ground.

Dad has a Troybilt Horse he bought in the early 80s.

Has wore out numerous sets of tines, including their wear resistant ones.
Now, he welds them up to original size and puts a hard layer on the face and side.
They live in a narrow hollow, the field was crick bottom at one time.
After a rainy period, you see more rocks than dirt. Despite the fact that we picked
truckloads of stones for years. Even with the manure spreaders of manure, rotten sawdust, and mulch added over the years, the garden is sunken from the stones removed.

No. You aren't one handing a tiller there very well.
That tiller used to drag my skinny teen aged ass all over that garden.

Troybilt should make a video on what happens when the tines hook a solid rock.
How the wheels come up in the air and the time speed is suddenly ground speed.
Now, I can pretty much out muscle it and keep it digging.
No one under 130# or fairly strong is going to.

Hillandholleragriculture#itaintforpussies
Back in the early 90’s I had a big Honda rear tine that was a Cadillac! I think it had a 12 hp electric start, two forward and one reverse gear box. The handles rotated to a full 90 degrees and you could till in reverse to get the corners along the fence. With the handles slightly offset you could walk beside it and two hand it if needed. Usually if was a one hand operation. Brother in law was using it when I went thru my divorce and I guess it’s still in their barn. Sure would like to find another one like it someday. I currently have a Troy Built super bronco that does OK until I can find an upgrade.
Rear time is the way to go
I use the ttotal fugg out of my tiller. How the hell yall make one last 35 years??

That somebitch be bucking like a bronco, squealing, handle brackets have be rewelded a couple times. Tines worn down, rounded off

Get about 6 years on average

Troy built at first was a big piece of crap. Over priced, sheared all the teeth off of that big bronze internal gear. 😳🤠🤯😱

Put them mfkers thru hell when I garden. And I’ve posted pics. I’m running it on a weekly rotation all summer

Does John Deere make one of these things?
Cause if they did yuppies would buy it.
Love my 6ft tiller behind my 2640 jd. Use my troy built to cultivate
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
It don’t buck on you does it🤣?

Buck and jump just like a bronco! LOL!

Get out from behind the thing.
Don't try tilling to garden loam depth on the first pass. THAT will take several passes.
Don't till hard, dry soil. That's what beats the oil seals out.
Don't press down on the handles. Lift up slightly.
Yeppers! I've hit rocks, roots and buried junk.
When it jumps and bucks, turn the damned thing loose! You can't hold it anyway! LOL!
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I've had a bcs tiller for 20 some years. It has a lifetime warranty and is a real machine .
The BCS tillers are in a class by themselves.
I bought my Troy Bilt Horse tiller about 25-30 yrs ago from the estate of an old man that tried to use it once and realized it was too much for him... it was like new with most of the paint still on the tines and the tits still on the tires... Paid $350... Although i maintain it well, i beat the piss outta' that thing... Bustin' sod on an ever expanding garden... Tilling deep until the weak kneed 7 hp briggs snubs... sometimes hook a nylon strap on the front bumper and have a helper pull to keep it from tipping over in a furrow... One handed, My Ass... That machine beats the piss outta' me!... Last yr the reversing disc broke (had to finish up with no reverse) and it was pissing gearbox lube on the garage floor, this thread reminds me it's time for repairs... Older brother has a "New" in the box 8 hp Kohler that he bought cheap yrs ago... Ya think i can pry it outta' him, Fugg No!, he wants to sell it on fee bay for $$$$... Guess who eats my Vegetables...
Originally Posted by thumbcocker

I've had one for 10+ years. It is the bomb! No lifetime warranty with mine, though.
yes , but only if you get one with reversible tines many tines can run either forward or backward of direction.
I've had one for several years. They work great, like everyone said, except for turning around. Yeah, you can reverse and turn, but for large gardens, great. Small ones, a small mini tiller is fine, or just a shovel, rake, and hoe is all you need.
Troy Built Horse for 35 years..
I don’t dick with a tiller if I don’t have to.

Don’t need it for cultivation either.

Do what I need with a 6ft disc and cover with Tyvek housewrap

Originally Posted by Riverc
I sold my Front Tine Tiller and ordered a Rear Tine Tiller it shipped today can't wait to give it a workout when it gets here.
As to the header, why - YES I DO!!
I have to have a fence, too many damn deer here.
In depth tutorial seen here.

Here is my old thang, had to put new carb on it

Originally Posted by hanco
Here is my old thang, had to put new carb on it

It's old looking but hey if it runs and gets the job done I wouldn't care what it looks like.
Yes, my experience is with Troy-Built, but someone has done it better. A BCS 739 is on my shopping list. I grew up around the old Graveleys in deepest, darkest Appalachia. Swapping implements is about as easy as swapping barrels on a light or medium machine gun.

I’ve been using a Troy Bilt Horse for over 20 years…….rear tine is the “only” way to go! memtb
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Let old fart hit a head sized boulder or yet undiscovered tree root see if he holds on with one hand in his prize cabbage patch

That won't happen if you pull a plow about ten inches deep through the garden first. The 8N takes the abuse, and the tiller gets the gravy. That is until I let someone borrow it, who thinks it should turn rock piles into vegetable beds.
Those BCS machines look great. I have never seen one in person.

Forty years ago, Troy Built was a great product. Their "Horse" tillers in six hp and eight hp were nearly indestructible. Before I had a tiller, or a tractor, I needed to get the garden spot ready on our newly acquired property, purchased from my parents. The spot was our old family garden, left fallow for twenty years.

The local rental business had several of the Troy built 8 HP. I picked one up on a 24 hr rental. And I ran it a full 12 hrs that day with just breaks to piss, drink another glass of water, and refill the gas tank. The ground was not really that hard. The patch was just that big.

It is a shame to see the product they are selling today under the Troy Built name. Just another MTD.

MTD acquired Ryobi Limited's North America outdoor products business, giving them the capacity to produce 1.5 million engines and related hand-held garden products. In 2001, MTD acquired Garden Way including the Troy-Bilt and Bolens brands.

The Snapper is no longer made. The BCS is out of most people's reach financially. In today's market, I like the Husqvarna.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The BCS is out of most people's reach financially.

I looked at them on their website just for the heck of it.

You can get an entry level BCS machine and a 20 inch tiller attachment for about the same cost as a new MTD Troy-bilt horse......around $3500 and get a better machine with a better engine. You can't pull all the attachments they sell with the lower end machine but we are talking just tillers. If I were going new I would get it over the TB.

An old Troy-bilt probably makes the most sense for a home gardener......just don't buy it from Slumlord! laugh They are pretty easy to fix up with a Harbor Freight engine and parts for the rest of it are available far as I know.
It is a shame to see the product they are selling today under the Troy Built name. Just another MTD.
[/quote]

Seen that myself at my local Tractor Supply a couple of years ago when I was shopping for a front tine tiller. Did a side-by-side comparison Troy Bilt & Champion I honestly didn't see any difference in quality, but the Troy Bilt was a couple of hundred dollars more expensive. It's like you paying $200 dollars more for the Name Brand.
I've used both and definitely prefer a front tine tiller.

I bought a new Troy Bilt Bronco riding mower in 2006 and it mowed three big rocky rural yards for 7 years, with occasional replacement of spindles and belts. But a lot of power equipment has been cheapened since then. I replaced it with a 52" Hustler ZTR, which has had the shidt worked out of it too. It's been an excellent machine.
I posted earlier I ordered a Champion rear tine tiller. I decided this morning I don't want that tiller so will be returning without even opening the crate to Home Depot.
Got to looking at the Pro- XLDRT rear tine tiller and like it more it has dual rotation for tilling and a few other things I like better The Champion tiller only has counter rotation for tilling. they say delivery will be about 8 days can't wait to play with it.
© 24hourcampfire