Home
Posted By: CBB Reuben? - 03/16/23
Wife had corned beef/kraut in the crock pot all day. Dayum good sammiches….

I never ate one til she made me try it about 9 years ago. First I told her no kraut… then I tried the kraut….

Turns out I love the stuff…
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Reuben? - 03/16/23
Good for you! Enjoy!
A Reuben is my favorite sandwich.
Posted By: COLORADO_LUCKYDOG Re: Reuben? - 03/16/23
I love me some kraut!
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Reuben? - 03/16/23
There's a sandwich shop close by that has a prize-winner of a Reuben. Big ol' thing, just the sandwich makes a meal.

They're expensive, or relatively so, but this is one of those times where you get what you pay for in both quantity and quality.

One of my favorite sandwiches is a Reuben, and a damn good one is just a sheer joy.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Reuben? - 03/16/23
Enjoy!

Sometimes trying new things results in great results.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Reuben? - 03/16/23
Originally Posted by CBB

I never ate one til she made me try it about 9 years ago. First I told her no kraut… then I tried the kraut….

Best sammich eva!!

Second best sammich is Pastrami.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Reuben? - 03/16/23
I've had a corned beef in the crock pot all day too. I've got my whole family liking Reubens now. We have a panini grill for the sandwiches.

Bb
Posted By: efw Re: Reuben? - 03/16/23
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by CBB

Best sammich eva!!

Second best sammich is Pastrami.

+1
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Reuben? - 03/16/23
I was in Lancaster pa last weekend. Supposed to be Amish country. Went to a Amish country restaurant. Ordered a Reuben. F'ers we're out of kraut. Got a stupid turkey bacon wrap instead. I got gyped. Now the roof of my mouth is sore from hard bacon. 1st world problems...
Posted By: EdM Re: Reuben? - 03/16/23
I had my first a couple of summers ago at a brewery and I liked a lot but not even close to a proper Italiano. I had mortadella on a baguette for lunch today.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Reuben? - 03/16/23
I hate sour kraut, but love a good Rueben sandwich. Arby’s serves a passable version.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Reuben? - 03/16/23
Reubens are a favorite although we cook it a little different way. Two slices of rye bread with a little butter spread on one side, thin sliced corn beef (pastrami sometimes for a change), a slice of Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and some Russian dressing. Make a sandwich butter side of the bread on the outside and brown the bread on both sides in a Griswold pan until the Swiss melts. Served with chips and Vlassic dill spears, it’s hard to beat.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Reuben? - 03/16/23
Wine sourcrout if you can find it,
Posted By: 160user Re: Reuben? - 03/16/23
I love them but they sure give me world record farts. I eat them anyway.
Posted By: rong Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Love a good Reuben
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Originally Posted by rong
Love a good Reuben

Especially with homemade kraut
Posted By: Virginian2 Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Have enough to share?????
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
I ordered one the other day and they put like 3 strands of SK on it for 12.00 farking dollars!! RIP OFF ! ( Arby's)
Posted By: viking Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Thousand island or not?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
I asked for a Rubin while giving blood, the nice lady with the Ledgen Axillary laughed, and said next time. laugh
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Plain old French's yellow mustard- - - - -thousand island sucks donkey balls! On the menu for tomorrow- - - -buttered and grilled rye bread, home made corned beef, provolone cheese, and premium quality sauerkraut from a glass jar- - - -not that canned crap!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Don't forget corned beef hash!
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
local place here slices and sears the corned beef prior to putting it on butter grilled Rye bread, thats my favorite by far
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
It's corn beef season. Will smoke one this weekend. Then go shopping for one's that are half price to freeze.
Posted By: Otter Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Went to a local sandwich shop for lunch with some folks from work almost 20 years ago. I ordered a Rueben . . . from the menu.
The guy asked me - What kind of bread ya want? Uhhh - rye.
What kind of meat ya want? Uhhh - corned beef.
What kind of cheese ya want? Uhhh - Swiss.
Anything else? Uhh - sauerkraut would be nice.
Any mustard or other condiment? Yeah, thousand island dressing.
Anything else? Yes, grill it on both sides.
I did get it as I directed and it was actually pretty good.
OTOH - I don't recall going back there again. They closed down a year or so later. They did have good home made tater chips, though.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
A little Thousand Island dressing and a little kraut but too much makes it pretty messy.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I've had a corned beef in the crock pot all day too. I've got my whole family liking Reubens now. We have a panini grill for the sandwiches.

Bb

Had a Panini for lunch today and was thinking a Reuben Panini would be pretty dang good.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Reubens are one of the good sandwiches.
Posted By: ring3 Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
A favorite of mine. Really like trying them at local establishments here and when traveling. Lots of interesting twists and interpretations of what a Rueben can be. I have my favorites. Never been disappointed except when one isn’t served with a dill pickle on the side.
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Originally Posted by Edwin264
Originally Posted by rong
Love a good Reuben

Especially with homemade kraut

I agree, a good Reuben is wonderful, especially with my homemade kraut!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
A New York deli is the only real place to get one.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
A reuben on rye with russian dressing. It doesn't get much better.
Posted By: blanket Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Originally Posted by navlav8r
A little Thousand Island dressing and a little kraut but too much makes it pretty messy.
This it came apart tonight had to eat with a fork. Corned beef was spot on
Posted By: Sheister Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
I love corned beef, but a Reuben is a step above if done right. I've had some killer Reubens at places I would never have guessed. And I've had some really horrible ones at places that should be able to make a decent one... you just never know sometimes...

Arbys does make a passable one if you're not too picky though...
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Pumpernickel bread, homemade corned beef, homemade kraut, Swiss cheese and 1000 island dressing... Lightly buttered & grilled in a cast iron skillet...
Posted By: blanket Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Anytime you need to eat with fork because it's falling apart is a failure.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

That just ain’t so…

We’ve got a German deli here in town and Miss Rita is a one woman Rueben making machine.

Damn they are good
Posted By: Farming Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Originally Posted by Certifiable

That just ain’t so…

We’ve got a German deli here in town and Miss Rita is a one woman Rueben making machine.

Damn they are good
Agree that it just ain’t so. First of all Wikipedia says, origin is Omaha Nebraska. Second, it’s a sandwich. Granted they are not all created equal, but it’s not rocket science. Done right, they are damn good. I don’t care where they are made.
Posted By: LBP Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
If you’re ever near Hamilton Texas stop by the Dutchman’s Hidden Valley store they make a great Rueben sandwich!
Posted By: old_willys Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
Good for you! Enjoy!
A Reuben is my favorite sandwich.
+1
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23

That just ain’t so…

Damn they are good

That just ain’t so…

Damn they are good
Dittmers deli On El Camino Real?
Posted By: CBB Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
The boy and I ended up having 2 each lmao. Plenty of leftovers in the fridge for dinner today also!
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
I have never had a Ruben. Just never sounded appealing. After reading the comments I will try one the next time I have lunch out.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
I have a corned beef in the crock pot now. Reuben’s will be on the menu for tomorrow.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Another hard one to beat is a good smoked meat sandwich.

For those of you that make your own bread, this is the Rye Bread I make at home for Rueben's. As good as anything you will get at the best Delis in New York City. It is excellent.

KB

Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Rueben's are great!
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Got a pizza parlor here that makes Rueben sandwiches.
I haven’t tried theirs yet. I did ask if they would make a Rueben pizza. They will.. I may have to try one of those.
Posted By: Steve Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Just made some pastrami last weekend (See the food forum). Froze most of it but made a couple Reubens this week. They were so good I picked up a few more corned beef flats to make some more. Will be going in the smoker today.
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Originally Posted by viking
Thousand island or not?

Had this Q&A the other day. Thousand is what I remembered but Russian is correct. Except nobody ever had Russian so they used Thousand! I loved all the NY Delis back in the 70's. Enough meat for a month. A far cry from one slice of olive loaf, fake mayo, and white bread we grew up on. Hear they're a thing of the past nowadays. Everything is too expensive. Sad.
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
Reuben sandwiches are fantastic! I like my corned beef or pastrami sliced kinda thick though.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Reuben? - 03/17/23
I was pleasantly surprised that Arby's served a decent Rueben & ate them for a few years. Then last year they let me down bad. Then a local restaurant serves them & it was so bad I barely ate half of it. Time to control the situation.

Off to Wally World. Decent corned beef from the deli, & all the other components available. I make a decent Rueben with plenty of meat to suit me for less than 5 bucks.
© 24hourcampfire