Home
Posted By: MPat70 Gun storage - 03/18/23
When storing your shotguns or rifles, do you cap the barrel to keep out dust & such? Especially in dusty environments like farms.....

I've heard that you should never close off a barrel because it will not allow air to circulate therefore causing a corrosive humid atmosphere.

I've also seen old-timers using cigarette butts to plug the end of a rifle barrel.

For that matter, should you store rifles with the bolt open to allow for more air flow?

Just things to ponder on a Friday night sipping Captain & Coke
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Gun storage - 03/18/23
I don’t get all that creative.

I keep mine right side up and actions closed with barrels clear. I wouldn’t want anything that could hold moisture placed in the bore.

My safe with mostly wood stocked rifles are all in gun socks to avoid scratching the stocks. My mostly synthetic stocked “modern type” guns safe aren’t in any socks just wiped down after handling and kept with a golden rod and cheap humidity gage. The humidity usually hovers right around 50%.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Gun storage - 03/18/23
Where do you keep them, in the barn? Nothing wrong with that but I guess mine in a dry basement or in the vault with a goldenrod has spoiled me.

Remember seeing little tinfoil caps over the muzzles of guns, especially rifles in a glassdoor gun case in the den.. But that was a long time ago. Folks mostly living in tighter hoses these days & securing guns a bit better as well. No worry of mud daubers & such.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Gun storage - 03/18/23
Nope because it might get used real quick.
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Gun storage - 03/18/23
Be careful of some gun cases. Plano aluminum ones have a very caustic adhesive holding the foam in place. It will horribly rust your guns. Rebluing required.
Posted By: sidewinder72 Re: Gun storage - 03/18/23
I store mine in a gun safe with a big Golden Rod. Works great and never had a problem for over 20 years. Try it and feel comfortable about your guns not getting stolen or used without your say so.
Posted By: Jayhawker Re: Gun storage - 03/18/23
I do fold a cloth over the muzzles on a couple of rimfires I keep in the tool shed to keep the mud daubers from building nests in the barrels. Actions obviously are closed and magazines inserted.

Would not consider doing that in the house.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Gun storage - 03/18/23
I keep some in a 6 gun wall rack. These are the guns I grab should I see a coyote out the window of my home, or need an accurate 22 for an armadillo or coon at night. My big game rifles are each stored in several closets or under beds. Each in its own plastic/foam Plano type plastic gun case. Been doing this for over 40 years. Never had a gun rust. I keep a 40-45 year old ruger 10/22 in my main farm pickup truck. 24/7. I try to remember to wipe it down with a oiled rag every so often. Never heard of plugging a barrel prior to storage.
Posted By: Dfm13 Re: Gun storage - 03/18/23
I have never personally covered the barrel. Any firearm that is stored long enough for dust accumulation to be a concern needs a good cleaning and inspection before firing anyway.
© 24hourcampfire