Home
Like the real cowboys in the western movies I sit on my dead ass all day and watch???

Must be really somethin, gettin to sing to the stars at night.

Might get a snake your boot tho
Did you put out the rope?
Snug as a bug in a rug. Gee whizz a guy could feel like Jo3sey Wales in the morning. Get some black cowboy cawfee.

Then take a juicy cowboy dump in the weeds. Be rrady fir a day of hootin and hollerin with them little dogies

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]imagehosting
It's called a soogan or sugan .
Yup, I have a Dave Ellis canvas bedroll with a 2" dual foam pad. The pad is made of (2) 1" foam pads that are laminated together. The bottom layer is fairly stiff to block out rocks and twigs poking you and the top one is squishier. It doesn't roll up very compact, but it's incredibly comfortable. With the flap, you could weather a downpour if you needed to.

Dave Ellis Canvas Products
I slept in a rental house once. One night it rained when I was camping so two of us slept in the front of a 64 Datsun pickup. Made a lean-to out of pine boughs and slept in that when it snowed. Slept on the concrete floor in the shop. Slept on a cot. Slept in a hammock once. Back hurt. Slept in a bunk at Camp Melawkwa in Boy Scouts. Slept in a 2" rain puddle spring bear hunting a few years ago. Sleep in the back of my truck whenever I want.
Yes. Bulky but podaciously decadent. The pack horses got to carry them, and I'm glad, glad, I say!
Oh yeah, many a night.

Canvas manti tarp laid out on the ground, half covered by saddle blankets for padding, my riding saddle for a pillow (keeps quill pigs and rodents from chewing the leather), lay out sleeping bag onto of saddle blankets, fold remaining half of manti tarp over sleeping bag and walla, set for the night, water proof/wind proof/snow proof. (Sleeping bag is optional)
Big but with my nice pad it’s a great bed.
No
Many stary nights. A bag and a 6 x 8 ft tarp. A buddy put one together that is huge. Takes up a third of the space in my drift boat on river trips..When rain threatens though, he breaks out a tent.
Bought a green bedroll at a Newcastle, WY thrift store, many years ago. A solo cow elk hunt.

Put my regular sleeping bag under the bedroll, more padding…..in the barely single person tent.

Propped a log up close to the campfire to hang my ‘hangered’ survival coffee can, full of water.

After the boil, added my dehydrated soup mix…..right before all the bugs jumped from the log end into the coffee can.

Hate when that happens.
Dirt and pine?fur?

Yes. Slept good.
You?
I rather do that than sleep n a tent.
Wake up, stand up, piss on your buddies tent.
Go lay down
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Bought a green bedroll at a Newcastle, WY thrift store, many years ago. A solo cow elk hunt.

Put my regular sleeping bag under the bedroll, more padding…..in the barely single person tent.

Propped a log up close to the campfire to hang my ‘hangered’ survival coffee can, full of water.

After the boil, added my dehydrated soup mix…..right before all the bugs jumped from the log end into the coffee can.

Hate when that happens.
Pffft…..

You didn’t help the bugs in?

I crept my kids out when I ate bugs out in the woods. Grubs, beetles, ants…. I leave forest frogs alone.
Yes I have many times over the last 50 years or better. Minnesota, Canada, Territories, Montana and so on.

Osky
So on the movies and stuff, they could use a rock for a pillow and wake up fresh as a daisy after a 25 degree night in the desert with a golf ball size rock in your back.

🤠

That was totally believable
This aint about your cabelas $379 cushion this about the cowboy movies me and 7mmCowboy watch 12 hours a day
Nope.

I used to do a lot of hiking and remote backwoods camping but always slept in a tent. I liked hiking in the cooler months but there would have been way to many squitoes during the warmer months and to many mice and chipmunks scurrying around year around.
More just a strip of canvas and a blanket or two.

We called them a "hot roll".
Yes,most of my youth,rain or shine. It was my granddad's ,,handsewn canvas, an old sheet ,two wool blankets and a quilt from grandma. Now,I mostly use it in my bunk at deer camp. I would be very content to die in it under an oak tree in the back pasture.
Yep, many nights when I was a young buck. Then went to my mom's house in Idaho to sell the house in October. Friggin consolidators sold my bed after two days and I had to stay there for ten days. My buddy loaned me his, wasn't bad after a day or two.
There's reasons men died young back then...🤣
I slept in game bags in Alaska in 2011 while moose hunting after my sleeping bag turned up missing. Turns out the 5 year old of the family we were staying while getting ready with took my bag for his and hid it.
Originally Posted by slumlord
So on the movies and stuff, they could use a rock for a pillow and wake up fresh as a daisy after a 25 degree night in the desert with a golf ball size rock in your back.

🤠

A game bag or t shirt rolled up with poached grass inside works better than you thing as well as dry ground moss in the far north. A clean meat bag over your head works in a pinch to keep skeeters and no seeums off.

Osky
Originally Posted by Salmonella

That’s what I was thinking! Everyone waxing nostalgic on what I would consider torture.
Never with a cowboy roll. Napped in the dirt one day under a Huey. Woke up as it took off.

If you ain’t Cav, you ain’t chitt.
Nope. I've had a sleeping bag since I was 8.
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by Salmonella

That’s what I was thinking! Everyone waxing nostalgic on what I would consider torture.
Exactly

It weren’t the fairy tale experience that Wabitard and 7mmCowboy romanticize about.
I spent 2.5 months a year in one during elk and sheep season up the Gros Ventre back in the late 70's and early 80's. I don't remember where I got it, but it was pretty good sleeping as far as I am concerned. Of course getting up at 04:30 and hunting for 12 hours for days on end, will make sleeping on anything pretty easy.
Originally Posted by fester
Dirt and pine?fur?

Yes. Slept good.
You?
I rather do that than sleep n a tent.
Go lay down

Or say "Goddam it Badger, get the hell out of camp!"

Badger was a big old yellow horse who came back into camp, carefully checking every spot we had poured grain on the ground when we had arrived right at dark, just in case there was a kernel left.

We had just spread the bedrolls out right there after the horses finished. Except for Badger, who in pitch black, was making the rounds, carefully stepping over the bodies on the ground (8 of us, 16 horses and mules who were supposed to be out on their own hillside).

That grain feed could have been thought out better.

Those bedrolls were sure better than half-inch closed foam pad and lightweight sleeping bags I used on back-packing hunts!
Yes.
No, but I once fell asleep on bare concrete during a lull in the action while helping someone pull an engine from a Corvette. The other guys thought it was pretty funny…..

If I spent a night on a cowboy bedroll now, I’d likely need to be hospitalized.
tarp and a bag, slept under tree boughs, wrapped up in canvas tarp, and blankets when lucky.

🤠

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it!
Originally Posted by Valsdad

🤠

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it!

There's some wisdom here.
No does not look comfortable
Gents
Never in a cowboy roll. BUT I did sleep on a flak jacket in a poncho liner for bout a year!!
Semper Fidelis
Soup
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Never with a cowboy roll. Napped in the dirt one day under a Huey. Woke up as it took off.

If you ain’t Cav, you ain’t chitt.

Should we wake Dan and get him outta there?

Nah. He’ll move.
Also slept on concrete runway of AF bases as their damn birds broke and left us stranded, but going to be fixed any minute (while maintenance went home)
https://www.bornoutdoor.com/store
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Yup, I have a Dave Ellis canvas bedroll with a 2" dual foam pad. The pad is made of (2) 1" foam pads that are laminated together. The bottom layer is fairly stiff to block out rocks and twigs poking you and the top one is squishier. It doesn't roll up very compact, but it's incredibly comfortable. With the flap, you could weather a downpour if you needed to.

Dave Ellis Canvas Products

That is a swag...just about everyone in this country has one, even townies.

Added, I currently use a Burke and Wills Ute Beaut swag...but just drag the top flap over like a blanket instead of stringing it up. Works well when pulled up next to a river whilst out fishing for the night.

[Linked Image from wildearth.com.au]

Burke and Wills swags

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Niwot
I love my Born Outdoor Badger Bed! It's a bedroll, but with updated materials and is crazy comfortable and warm. You can add or remove quilts so you can completely customize it for your trip. It's a bit pricy, but you the quality is really burly and it's built to last. www.bornoutdoor.com. I'll never use another sleeping bag unless I'm backpacking in a couple of miles. It only weighs 15 lbs and can roll up to 34 inches wide and 12 inches deep which isn't any bigger than my current sleeping bag and mattress.

I bought Doris and myself a pair of them, it changed our lives, bought them for all the kids & grandkids & neighbors. bornoutdoors made all of my wildest dreams come true
Originally Posted by fester
Go lay down

Funniest sleep out stunt I’ve heard of was when two friends back in college were sleeping out in the woods no tent while collecting forestry samples, a thing that involved chain saws.

One guy woke up first, removed the chain from a saw, cranked it up and pressed it into his just then awakening companion’s belly. grin

If you try it, double check you removed the chain first.

Chain saw guy graduated then headed out on bicycles with his girlfriend to ride from Upstate NY to Oregon, which led to me cycling cross country myself 33 years later.
© 24hourcampfire