Home
Posted By: wabigoon Cigarette Vending Machines? - 03/23/23
I haven't seen one in over sixty years.[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com][email][/email]
I used to fill those machines back in the ‘80s.

P
Posted By: krp Re: Cigarette Vending Machines? - 03/23/23
Easiest way to get cigs when a kid.

Kent
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Cigarette Vending Machines? - 03/23/23
Always expensive, but worth it for a kid that wasn't old enough to drive.
Posted By: poboy Re: Cigarette Vending Machines? - 03/23/23
A pack of Winstons and a book of matches 35cents.
Very collectible now.
Always at the front door of the Shoney’s…
I remember 50 cents...
Gas station had one back in early 70s
Does Texasbatman lose his shît over another mindless, inane thread??

Only the bat will tell.

Oh…but he sucks wabigoon’s ass, they pray together.
Originally Posted by Westman
I remember 50 cents...

I remember my Uncle, who was 10 years older than me, giving me a dollar for riding my Schwinn Stingray Bicycle down to the corner Fina Gas Station to pick him up two packs of Marlboros from the machine.

They were .35 cents a pack. I would have enough change left over for a Dr Pepper, a Hersey Bar, and a pack or 2 of Planter’s Salted Peanuts from the other vending machines.

This would have been in 1968, the year he joined the Marines and headed off to Vietnam. I was 8 at the time.
This could be a Friday Night Music Thread

The local Red lobster had one until around 1990 or so lol.
A place we used to drink when we were underage had one of these in the entry way between the restaurant and bar side of the building. Early/Mid 90s.
A local Italian restaurant a few blocks down from my high school had one of those in the mid 90’s. $3 a pack at that time. We’d stop in after school. They probably did more business selling cigarettes than food. They were fairly common at that time but the one in the restaurant near our school sold a lot.

My buddies dad used to give us a note with permission to buy him cigarettes and let us keep the change for pops. Ten year old kids riding our bikes down to the party store a mile or so away with a hand written note to buy Marlboro’s😂

I remember a Disney cartoon where Donald Duck catches his nephews smoking cigars so he forces them to smoke the whole box until they’re sick in order to teach them a lesson. Definitely a different world at that time.
I bought smokes out of a vending machine in Germany about five years ago.
Posted By: hanco Re: Cigarette Vending Machines? - 03/23/23
Dey be one at de danzehall
my favorite local bar that happens to make the best hamburgers in town has one in the arctic entryway still.
Posted By: MD521 Re: Cigarette Vending Machines? - 03/23/23
I remember buying Marvels for $0.20 per pack at the local theater. That's a long time ago.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I haven't seen one in over sixty years.[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com][email][/email]
From what I hear it takes a lot of quarters to buy a pack these days.... the only people who could pull it off are the guys who used to carry rolls of quarters in their pockets for bar fights....
60 years? WTF? They were in restaurants and bars and clubs and pool halls everywhere until indoor smoking was banned.
The last time I checked, a pack of Camel straights cost $10.09 a pack at Walmart. Jezzzuz. That's an expensive way to kill yourself.
There's one at Adair's Saloon in Deep Ellum. Great burgers and beer there:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Last time I ate at a restaurant in Deep Ellum, a Mexican Food Joint for a buddy’s Wedding Rehersal, all the waiters were F.ags and the owner was a damn transvestite.
Several of us got food poisoning that night.
Probably because we were laughing at and making fun of all the f.ags. 😬

Haven’t been back to that section of Dallas since and won’t ever go back again.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I remember 50 cents...

I remember my Uncle, who was 10 years older than me, giving me a dollar for riding my Schwinn Stingray Bicycle down to the corner Fina Gas Station to pick him up two packs of Marlboros from the machine.

They were .35 cents a pack. I would have enough change left over for a Dr Pepper, a Hersey Bar, and a pack or 2 of Planter’s Salted Peanuts from the other vending machines.

This would have been in 1968, the year he joined the Marines and headed off to Vietnam. I was 8 at the time.

I hope he made it back home and continues to enjoy health and happiness.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I remember 50 cents...

I hope he made it back home and continues to enjoy health and happiness.

Yes he did. And Thanks! Only uncle I have left, now.
My other uncle on Dad’s side that was there with Marine Recon in 70 died of a brain tumor about 10 years ago.
Another damn Agent Orange victim / casualty. 😡
Pretty sure I remember when they were 28 cents. Put 30 cents in change in the machine and there was 2 shiny new pennys as your change under the cellophane on the side of the pack.
I have not seen any in the US, but they were all over the place last I was in Germany.
There is one still at this Golf Course I play sometimes in Waterford Michigan.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Cigarette Vending Machines? - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
A local Italian restaurant a few blocks down from my high school had one of those in the mid 90’s. $3 a pack at that time. We’d stop in after school. They probably did more business selling cigarettes than food. They were fairly common at that time but the one in the restaurant near our school sold a lot.

My buddies dad used to give us a note with permission to buy him cigarettes and let us keep the change for pops. Ten year old kids riding our bikes down to the party store a mile or so away with a hand written note to buy Marlboro’s😂

I remember a Disney cartoon where Donald Duck catches his nephews smoking cigars so he forces them to smoke the whole box until they’re sick in order to teach them a lesson. Definitely a different world at that time.
Your buddy Bill Clinton ended the cigarette machines during his war on tobacco. For the very reason you mentioned above.

kwg
The gas station I worked at back in 1975 and 76, had a real old one, don't remember the price as iv never smoked.
Posted By: krp Re: Cigarette Vending Machines? - 03/24/23
I haven't had a cig since march of 2009. Other people smoking doesn't bother me. I wouldn't mind a cigar now and then, but if I took one puff it'd be on like donkey kong, I'd be back to smoking.

I'd have hunters and we'd be going straight up, I'd be smoking a cig and we'd get to the top, they'd collapse out of breath... look at me standing there saying... WTF...

I would laugh at someone saying smoking screwed up hunting. Archery elk hunting I'd hunt the same area day to day. Seen cows stop in the path to smell a butt I left the day before, just kept on walking, didn't panic and runt off.

Anyway I enjoyed smoking, grandkids are a good reason to have quit, if I'm ever given months to live I may take it up again.

Kent
Cigarette vending machines at 0:42.

video posted to YouTube on Mar 12, 2023
YouTube channel: Recollection Road
Originally Posted by BFaucett
Cigarette vending machines at 0:42.

video posted to YouTube on Mar 12, 2023
YouTube channel: Recollection Road

Tomorrow…..

“Hey fellas…anyone still get a Sunday paper the box just to read Peanuts” ??
Originally Posted by slumlord
Tomorrow…..

“Hey fellas…anyone still get a Sunday paper the box just to read Peanuts” ??

Or Beetle Bailey. Or ANDY CAPP.

Last time I ate at a restaurant in Deep Ellum, a Mexican Food Joint for a buddy’s Wedding Rehersal, all the waiters were F.ags and the owner was a damn transvestite.

Yeah, you probably went to Monica's messikan. Owned by a she-male. Never went there, I think it's closed now. You're missing out, one of the best BBQ joints in Dallas is in Deep Ellum - Terry Blacks and Adair's is the same as it ever was. Also a great beignet place down there and a really amazing candy/soda store down there that has every kind of candy and soda you could imagine - even stuff from days of yore. My daughter likes that place. No problems during the day, but I'd not take her down there at night. chunowatImeanmahn?
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
my favorite local bar that happens to make the best hamburgers in town has one in the arctic entryway still.

Would that be the Long Branch Saloon by chance?

Yeah, you probably went to Monica's messikan. Owned by a she-male. Never went there, I think it's closed now. You're missing out, one of the best BBQ joints in Dallas is in Deep Ellum - Terry Blacks and Adair's is the same as it ever was. Also a great beignet place down there and a really amazing candy/soda store down there that has every kind of candy and soda you could imagine - even stuff from days of yore. My daughter likes that place. No problems during the day, but I'd not take her down there at night. chunowatImeanmahn?

Monica’s. Yep that was it. Couldn’t think of the name of that damned place to save my life. 🤪🤪🤪
I think a lot of states ended up outlawing them to keep kids from buy cigs. I know Idaho did. Tobacco can only be sold face to face.
Yep!

There was one at the gas station I worked at when I was in high school.

1970, and cigarettes were 25 cents a pack.

Virgil B.
One local cafe had it locked, it was turned on behind the counter.
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

Would that be the Long Branch Saloon by chance?

Yes
I'll tell you, the Coke machine at the reception center at Fort Leonard Wood emptied fast giving free Coke. laugh
© 24hourcampfire