Home
Posted By: Rooster7 Cool mount! - 03/23/23
This is badass!

Saw this on FB. Says it's from Safari Studios Taxidermy in San Angelo, TX.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Raeford Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
Like^^^^
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
Hell of a buck!

Wouldn’t be my first choice for him.
Posted By: RupertBear Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
Unfortunately, the biology is wrong. Deer and other ungulates fight predators with their hooves. Antlers are reserved for fighting each other.
RB
Posted By: slumlord Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
They need a corn feeder as part of the mount.

Ya know….cause I’m going for authenticity
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
Originally Posted by RupertBear
Unfortunately, the biology is wrong. Deer and other ungulates fight predators with their hooves. Antlers are reserved for fighting each other.
RB

I bet you're a blast at party's!

LOL
Posted By: las Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
Not all ungulates have have antlers, but those that do, yes, mostly. Sheep, goats, musk ox are ungulates. All fight - at least sometimes- with their horns. Horns, not antlers, so the above is technically correct, but only applied to "antlered" beasties. Still, pretty cool mount even if it as fake as DJT AI picture being arrested.

Years ago I heard of a local guy who shot a big bull moose with a .243, but not well, and got tossed by the bull's antlers. Dunno if it was true or not. It's at least a commentary on shot placement, and perhaps bullet selection.

I saw two cow moose in the fog one morning having a dispute, leading into the rut - hooves were involved. Pretty impressive! One of my favorite hunting memories: them reared up on hind legs and batting at each other in shadowy fog conditions. Surreal, if I'm using the word correctly.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
Let me just toss out a scenario here.

Coyote in front of buck, accidentally got hooked by an antler, when the buck reared his head back after getting bit in the ass by coyote in back of buck.

LOL

Works for me!
Posted By: JeffA Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
RB

Really?

Posted By: las Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
Well, there is that.... smile
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
RB

Really? Who told you that BS? Some state DWR biologist?

I used to work at a mine with a 9' high game fence. I saw a nice four point muley get ran into an inside corner by a mountain lion one morning. It turned about, lowered it's head, then charged and rolled the mountain lion with it's horns. A buddies dad, an old cowboy, roped a muley one morning. As it ran off, as the cowboy secured the lasso to the saddle horn. The deer hit the end of the rope, turned around and charged the horse and rider! The horse reared up and threw my friend's dad. The rope came loose and the deer ran off afterwards. He later found the lasso several hundred yards away.

Apparently someone needs to tell the deer: (Looks like I got scooped by JeffA)

Posted By: GAGoober Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
Originally Posted by Rooster7
RB

LOL
Winner, winner chicken dinner. This wins 1st prize for “reply of the month”. Well done! LOL Hilarious.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
Let me just toss out a scenario here.

Coyote in front of buck, accidentally got hooked by an antler, when the buck reared his head back after getting bit in the ass by coyote in back of buck.

LOL

Works for me!

Sure is plausible.

Thanks for posting - lots of labor with the custom forms, etc. Pretty cool.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
RB

LOL

Haha

Still one hell of a nice buck!
Posted By: pete53 Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
some people are just stupid and that lady screaming needs to be slap side the head.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
RB
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Posted By: saddlering Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
Helping a buddy that shot a very large whitetail buck blood trail it. He's not a great tracker. We followed it into a dry marsh, catails ect. Buck stood up about 10-12 feet from me, lowered his rack, and shook it, stepping towards me. Buddy was right behind me, I was backing away, and hitting Chris with me elbows to get him to move, he still hadn't seen the buck! We got 20yrds or so and the buck bedded,but still watched us. No doubt in my mind that he would have used that big rack on me. He got another arrow at that point, he stood up, and fell over dead.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
Originally Posted by JeffA
RB
Really?

Good grief. I was hoping the buck would shut that woman up!
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
This is badass!

AWESOME!

KB
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
I like it. I've never seen a mount like that
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
This is badass!

Lol. The coyote in the back is like screw this, hey look a rabbit!
Posted By: roverboy Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
Originally Posted by pete53
some people are just stupid and that lady screaming needs to be slap side the head.

Yeah, she's totally useless in a emergency situation.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
RB

Uh yeah. Like the video with the buck taking on and whipping that ram that made the rounds.

Where’d you mine that little tidbit of bullshît from lol?
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
Rooster that IS a cool mount. Would be a neat part of a diarama
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Cool mount! - 03/23/23
RB

LOL

I have a pic of a buck skull with the antlers poked through the skull of a coyote.

I had an elkdeerduckdovequail hunting patient from imperial, Texas who works for Chevron and has property with cattle on the Pecos south of here 50 miles.

He spent $3000 on surgery for his beloved black lab retriever. After it was well he took it to check the watering and windmills.

Drove up, let her out of the truck and she jumped and chased a big muley buck into the mesquite. He heard her yelp and went to check and found her dead - hooked through and through.

Sad day.

And thats why I kill the hell out of big muley bucks. shocked
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Cool mount! - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by jaguartx
RB

LOL

I have a pic of a buck skull with the antlers poked through the skull of a coyote.

I had an elkdeerduckdovequail hunting patient from imperial, Texas who works for Chevron and has property with cattle on the Pecos south of here 50 miles.

He spent $3000 on surgery for his beloved black lab retriever. After it was well he took it to check the watering and windmills.

Drove up, let her out of the truck and she jumped and chased a big muley buck into the mesquite. He heard her yelp and went to check and found her dead - hooked through and through.

Sad day.

That would be a bad day. That just sucks.

Don't know why but it reminds me of my favorite beagle when I was 11-12yrs old. We were hunting and he was far ahead of me baying. Had something treed. I heard a shot and when I found my dog he was laying near a tree that had a hollow in it. He had been shot dead and who ever did it was nowhere to be seen.

Never did find out who shot my dog but I had my guesses.
Everytime I see a beagle I think of that sad day.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Cool mount! - 03/24/23
RB

Fulla shìt

P
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Cool mount! - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Mf'er making me go to dictionary.com again...
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Gruff, that would be neat!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Cool mount! - 03/24/23
Been in that taxidermy studio.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Cool!

I'm curious how much this mount cost.

I'm thinking $5 - $6k.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
RB

LOL

Sad day.

I think you have posted that pic before, Jag. See if you can find it again.
Originally Posted by MPat70
This is badass!

Lol. The coyote in the back is like screw this, hey look a rabbit!

LOL

Looks like it but I think it could have just got smacked by that right rear hoof.

(If we're going to imagine a scenario)
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Cool!

I'm curious how much this mount cost.

I'm thinking $5 - $6k.

Better yet, Roger.

Ask if they can relay the story behind the mount.

I'm kind of thinking this was witnessed by the hunter.
© 24hourcampfire