Home
Posted By: KRAKMT Atv gun - 04/09/23
Exploring a new gun purchase.

Sorta like a truck gun but for a quad.

I usually carry a pistol or revolver while atv trail riding.
But yesterday the grounds squirrels were out and I was dreaming of some other option.

Something short packable in a fender bag but with a little more velocity.

Was considering a Thompson encore pistol but...

Anyone carry the perfect shooting iron cartridge?
Posted By: JeffA Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
[Linked Image from gulfcoastgunforum.com]
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
I have a Savage Rascal, weight is a bit over 2 pounds, I use the factory peep sights but a small 4x would be great for squirrels.
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
I’m a fan of 22mags as they’re very versatile and can be shot without ear protection. These days, my favorites are a 10/22M with a vari-X-III 1.5x5 or a peep sighted lever.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
+1 on 22 mag
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
Look at the Ruger American in 17 hmr it's a good shooting little gun.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
my 74 year old man has one of those over under thingies in .410 & 22 on his 4 wheeler steering wheel rack, the grouse & ptarmigan don't like him ..
at all.. his barn is "tailed" with trail bird butt feathers
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I have a Savage Rascal, weight is a bit over 2 pounds, I use the factory peep sights but a small 4x would be great for squirrels.

An excellent pickup or atv gun.
Posted By: Stray Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
Well, thanks JeffA, just when I thought I didn't need anymore ATV's or guns...
Posted By: JHM Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
I usually carry a 20ga that folds up and can be put in a backpack. I have a sleeve that holds 5rounds on the stock. It stays strapped to the front rack. I then carry a Bond Arms Century 2000 in 45 colt/.410. I use Marlin 444 brass to reload my .410 rounds.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
My UTV and general woods-dinking gun is a Ruger PC Carbine loaded with 9mm +P hard cast.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
My truck, atv, sxs gun for the next couple months.

Weatherby Vanguard in 223. Overkill for gophers but coyotes are the main target.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
I wish I'd have been able to get a Thompson Contender G2 carbine with a folding stock before they all disappeared.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
Savage 24V 30-30 over 20 gauge
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]something new poem
Cz527 during turkey season
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
My UTV and general woods-dinking gun is a Ruger PC Carbine loaded with 9mm +P hard cast.

Are the ballistics worth a darn on that rig? Max MOA distance?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

Ruger PC9 would be my suggestion too

Ruger 17 rd mags...or swap the magazine adapter to Glock mags if you want

Have 800+ rds outta mine since February....I've added some internal after market mods

Along with a recent Streamlight rail light

Even a 10-22 take down may be an option ?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: vferguson3006 Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
I carry a Ruger Mini-14, put a Hogue stock on it,
so I don't care if the stock gets scratched.
Put a Nikon 3-9x40 with duplex, so only 100 bucks there.
You can carry plenty of .223 to shoot anywhere, at anything.
Posted By: JGray Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
Friend of mine bought a 10/22 takedown for his SxS. I've been contemplating the same thing...
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
AR-15 Carbine for me. Most likely to encounter hogs & coyotes. But plenty of extra mags for 2-legged invaders too.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Atv gun - 04/09/23
Originally Posted by JGray
Friend of mine bought a 10/22 takedown for his SxS. I've been contemplating the same thing...

G/kids ran close to 900 rds outta mine last week

Comes with a nice take down soft case....luv it !

Don't see the SS in stock here

https://gunzonedeals.com/product/ru...synthetic-black-stk-black#product_detail

Posted By: JGray Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23
Perfect - I'm thinking red dot also. My friend scoped his...
Posted By: JGray Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23
Perfect - I'm thinking red dot also - my friend scoped his.

How does it shoot, accuracy wise? Thinking it may need to dispatch charging ground squirrels...
Posted By: drover Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Exploring a new gun purchase.

Sorta like a truck gun but for a quad.

I usually carry a pistol or revolver while atv trail riding.
But yesterday the grounds squirrels were out and I was dreaming of some other option.

Something short packable in a fender bag but with a little more velocity.

Was considering a Thompson encore pistol but...

Anyone carry the perfect shooting iron cartridge?

For ground squirrels I would go with a pawn shop 10/22 or Ruger American rimfire and just carry it on a set of the handlebar holders. Carrying it on the handlebar holder makes it handier. By the time you see the ground squirrels and get the gun out of a fender bag they will likely be down, whereas the handlebar holder is a lot faster to access the rifle and honestly who cares if they beat up a 10/22 or RAR by using the holder.

drover
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23
I usually carry either my Mossberg chuckster .22mag or
T/C Compass in . 223.
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23
Does anyone’s answer change if riding in Grizzly territory.

I don’t think I can make a single caliber work…
I need one of those combination guns in 22lr 221 fireball, 12 gauge and 45-70.
Ground squirrels to coons to dusky grouse to bear.
Posted By: JPro Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
AR-15 Carbine for me. Most likely to encounter hogs & coyotes. But plenty of extra mags for 2-legged invaders too.

Yep. Can reach out for crows and such also. The AR is also a fairly closed-off action with the dust cover closed. Not hard to keep the guts fairly clean.

Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by JPro

Yep. Can reach out for crows and such also. The AR is also a fairly closed-off action with the dust cover closed. Not hard to keep the guts fairly clean.

I'm working on a lightweight build right now myself. What buttstock is that?
Posted By: JPro Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23
That's the MagPul STR. Basically a CTR with battery storage sleeves for a wider cheek weld. I like how they lock up pretty solid with the extra locking lever.
Posted By: hanco Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23
I have a Ruger American. I bought it from someone on here. I think it was chlinstructor, but not sure. It’s perfect for that.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a Ruger American. I bought it from someone on here. I think it was chlinstructor, but not sure. It’s perfect for that.

Yep. It was an Ruger American Ranch model in .223
Posted By: sandhiller78 Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23

Love mine. 16” barrel, short, handy, even with a suppressor.
Posted By: hanco Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23

I can shoot a knat off a June bug at a hundred yards with it loaded with 62 grain Bear claws. Thank you again!!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23
On the ranch Kawasaki mule we have a plastic stock Ruger 10/22 and a single shot Stevens 20 ga. Sometimes I ride with a 1894 Win rifle 30 WCF in my lap or my Armalite AR. Just depends on my mood.

I use the 20 gauge single shot the most.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
On the ranch Kawasaki mule we have a plastic stock Ruger 10/22 and a single shot Stevens 20 ga. Sometimes I ride with a 1894 Win rifle 30 WCF in my lap or my Armalite AR. Just depends on my mood.

I use the 20 gauge single shot the most.

Almost any carbine of the caliber or double that you want.

Norm
Posted By: ring3 Re: Atv gun - 04/10/23
Savage 93 22WMR. Very accurate rifle. not pretty, but reliable and perfect for my needs.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Atv gun - 04/11/23
All new to me just got my Rancher on Saturday and picked up a set of Kolpin rack mounted forks. Need to find a 36 tactical gun case for the ar with 16" barrel and collapsible butt. Should tell a guy how good his scope is or isn't?.mb
Posted By: blairvt Re: Atv gun - 04/11/23
Originally Posted by 700LH

mine was a 222
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Atv gun - 04/11/23
Recently decided to explore multi-use applications for a few rifles I like to carry. Rather than figure out which *one* gun I most want to carry, knowing that it will be wrong in some applications I may run across on a given day, make a single gun do more than one job with ammunition tailored to a specific job.

We've been "trained" by the manufacturers and gun rags to need another bright shiny gun every time we have a whim. In reality, all that is necessary is to start with a cartridge large enough too hunt the biggest animal on the menu that day, and develop two or more sub-velocity loads for the smaller game or closer shots. In that way, one gun can really be tailored nicely to two or more levels of performance for whatever runs across in front of you. Just use a sharpie to mark the cartridges so you can identify the different loads if the bullets don't differentiate the loads.

None of that is too hard, once you wrap your head around the unconventional idea. What might be perhaps more challenging is developing different loads of vastly different velocities that shoot to the same point of aim, or, some sort of pattern that makes sense. For example, I have a Sako 22-250 that shoots full power loads, 222/223 level loads, and 22 magnum level loads. The full power loads are sighted in at 300 yards. That was my #1 priority. The mid-level loads I ended up using shoot a little high at 100, should be about right at 200 yards, same windage. The mid-level load is good for anything from calling coyotes into your lap to whatever is practical for the 222/223 class of cartridges.

Lastly, the 22 magnum level load is designed for shooting small critters at about 30 yards. A good "truck gun", walkabout load. When the velocity got that low, it wouldn't stabilize the same 55 grain Nosler ballistic tip as the mid and upper level loads, so I dropped down to a 40 grain ballistic tip and got it shooting great. When I finally settled on a load I like it didn't shoot exactly the same windage, hitting slightly left and slightly low of the crosshairs at 30 yards. I may work on it some more and see if I can tune the light load to hit closer to the crosshairs in the future. For now, it's close and is very workable.

This was all new thinking to me, having been of the school of thought that more guns is always a good thing. But have you noticed when you get a few different rifles in the safe(s), you start to forget which ones are sighted in and how? Remember back when all you had was one gun for coyotes, and one for big game? It was easy to remember.
Posted By: hitman Re: Atv gun - 04/11/23
3 guns for me. Allday everyday. Truck,tractors,buggy etc.
Nula mod 20 in 260 for all critters that need killin
Single shot 410 for cottonmouth moccasin etc
kimber micro 9mm on my hip w/spare mag

Ive bounced around tryin this an that for long time. These fit my situation the best……

PS…

A Charlie May Malibu in my pocket too
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: Atv gun - 04/11/23

This in 6mm X 221 FB has always worked well.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Atv gun - 04/11/23
Originally Posted by Fireball2
. But have you noticed when you get a few different rifles in the safe(s), you start to forget which ones are sighted in and how? Remember back when all you had was one gun for coyotes, and one for big game? It was easy to remember.
Yep, 100%. I'm going to have to start making data cards and tape them to the stock of each rifle.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Atv gun - 04/11/23
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

what da....?
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Atv gun - 04/12/23
I'll be on my atv tomorrow looking for sheds and reconnoitering some deer haunts.
Aboard will be my heavy barreled Ruger in .17HMR with a SWFA 6X MQ.

Is role is ground squirrel eradicator - skunks, jack rabbits and just plain fun plinking.
It shoots flat and kills much better than any .22rf. I can dial elevation and it's pretty comfortable out to 200 anyway. The quad makes for a handy rolling bench rest.

If I have a damage elk permit and/or deer season is open - then the 6.5CM and 140's cover all the bases.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]take a screenshot
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Atv gun - 04/12/23
Originally Posted by SamOlson
My truck, atv, sxs gun for the next couple months.

Weatherby Vanguard in 223. Overkill for gophers but coyotes are the main target.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I've got one of those stainless 223 vanguard still nib. It's a 9 twist but I've not shot it yet to see if it will stabilize Hornady 75g bthps. I've thought about just selling it and building a 7 twist remage.

Bb
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Atv gun - 04/12/23
Originally Posted by 700LH

Great Choice, IMO.

I use my Valmet 12/222Rem.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Atv gun - 04/12/23
.17HMR if its mostly gophers. .223 if it is mostly coyotes.

Cheap plastic savage, mossberg, etc.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Atv gun - 04/12/23
If you reload, it's hard to beat an older Marlin 336 in 30-30 for a truck/RV gun. I have one with a 17" barrel that is really handy. You can load it for varmints or bear. Around here shots are seldom over 125 yards.
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Atv gun - 05/01/23
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

Details?
A repeater 6mmx221?
I was considering a 6mm arc but what action and chassis?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Atv gun - 05/01/23
Ruger PC9

any buddy knows that

Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Atv gun - 05/01/23
I’ve got a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56 with a Leupold 4X12.
Mine is the flush mag version which I prefer.
Good beater rifle.
© 24hourcampfire