Home
Posted By: JGRaider Vintage Coleman Lantern Find - 04/09/23
Was up at the whitetail place a week ago, and went shed hunting up and down the creeks on the property. I've done this many times over the past 24 years but stumbled into something I'd been missing all these years. It is very, very dry with little grass, so maybe that made it more visible, not sure........I'm sure the rest of this wagon is underground right there.......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I love stuff like this, so I looked around the site a little, and found this old coleman lantern, Model 242A, half buried......

Here's up close view of the engraved ring......appears that this is from about 1936...

Wow, it really is dry! What county is that?

RS
Lipscomb
Cool find ! I have one of the same, only mine is pretty much pristine. My Granddad said they used it quite often when he was a little kid when they lived on a ranch.
Very cool find JG.

There’s part of an old Model T buried in the creek at the Ranch, that I dig around every once in a while during dry weather.
Raider, your just across border, know around there well.
Great find!

I really like them old lanterns.

Converted this one to run a bulb.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Really neat
Very nice !
Date of mfr is stamped in bottom of fount.
Cool!
Too rusted in this case.
Cool find!
Posted By: sse Re: Vintage Coleman Lantern Find - 04/09/23
Originally Posted by Higginez
Great find!

screwed the pooch on that one. It's a burg which were only produced a few months, late 1961 to early 1962. In good, original condition they're worth several hundred dollars.
JGR, TY for sharing. A friend of mine inherited his GFs property and his work shop/man cave is like a small antique store. I believe he has two of those lanterns sitting on a work bench
Originally Posted by sse
[quote=Higginez]
screwed the pooch on that one. It's a burg which were only produced a few months, late 1961 to early 1962. In good, original condition they're worth several hundred dollars.

Kept all the parts and didn't drill any holes.
Place over in the industrial park 4 or 5 yrs ago went out of business.
Coleman stuff maker IIRC.
Probably outsourced to Mexico or buckethead Central....
I have my grandfather's 242B from 1939.
I'll probably attempt to restore it and get it working. Why not?
Cool find. get a metal detector and I bet you'll find a lot of neat stuff.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'll probably attempt to restore it and get it working. Why not?

Not with that cracked fount. But it still might be worth something to a collector for parts.
If I found something like that my wife would be saying it is junk and I need to throw it out. I would keep it and every time the subject came up she would roll her eyes. Good find.
Great find!

Very cool idea. Now I gotta start searching the flea markets.....
Originally Posted by MPat70
Great find!

Only bummer is it doesn't hiss.
Great find!

Looks like your mantle has a hole in it
Originally Posted by blanket
Great find!

Looks like your mantle has a hole in it
Neat conversion, still use several
Originally Posted by sse
[quote=Higginez]

Kept all the parts and didn't drill any holes.

Thank goodness, I did a lantern search and came across this thread, scrolling and saw that and was like "what in the world", its worth a couple. I did the same though with an old common 220 double mantle, ran the wires through the intake tube and out each burner for two candlelights, rigged the valve wheel to be the on/off dimmer switch.

These lanterns and stoves are addictive, been getting into them the past year or so.
Buddy picked me up an old big hat, it was rougher in hand than the pics he initially sent me. I went crazy with it.

Back when we canned garden produce every summer, my gasoline Coleman camp stove would process pressure canners almost twice as fast as the one my wife was running on the Propane kitchen stove. I guess the gasoline burned hotter than Propane.
Originally Posted by MPat70
Great find!

We had one like that from the 60s. Don’t know where it went.
I’ve picked up 1/2 dozen of the older green ones at estate sales. Never pay more that 10-15$ for them. That’s my cut off.

Going to borrow Higgz idea and hang them in my sunroom if I can round up a few more
https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/
Cool
Posted By: las Re: Vintage Coleman Lantern Find - 10/05/23
I have a red single burner out in the garage, original, not being used (it has been, for power outages, and once to dress out a buddy's moose in the night.)

I have at least 3 green double mantles that came with the remote cabin I bought in 1975. They are still in use there.
Posted By: Steve Re: Vintage Coleman Lantern Find - 10/05/23
Wish I could get some of the old mantles with thorium.
I got a red one for Christmas when I was 10 or 11, used that thing countless hours camping. Whenever my sons calls and ask for help blood trailing a deer after dark I always bring the old girl along
I have a big hat from the days when I was a YMCA camp counselor. Two electrified models provide lighting in my gun room.
Originally Posted by Steve

I think the India-made green top mantles that are sold by that Coleman parts site listed above contain thorium but I can't say for sure. I bought some India manufactured thorium ones about 10 years ago but I don't remember the vendor. They make great check sources.
Johnny

Cool find!!
Posted By: Steve Re: Vintage Coleman Lantern Find - 10/05/23
Originally Posted by atomchaser
Originally Posted by Steve

I think the India-made green top mantles that are sold by that Coleman parts site listed above contain thorium but I can't say for sure. I bought some India manufactured thorium ones about 10 years ago but I don't remember the vendor. They make great check sources.

Got me looking. These guys have them

https://justmantles.co.nz/shop/single-tie-mantles/
I have a single mantle kerosene model
Years ago, I caught one while fishing a plastic of some sort on the bottom. I'm assuming it fell out of the boat while someone was night fishing. The globe was gone (probably shattered when it hit the water), the tank was rusted out and full of mud. All the steel parts were rusted to practically nothing. The only parts remaining were the brass ones, which I kept.
Originally Posted by longarm
Nice people and helpful.
© 24hourcampfire