Home
Posted By: Verylargeboots Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
I am shopping for new needlenose pliers, I need several of various lengths, and I'm phasing out my older junk ones. I own several sets of Channel Lock pliers and fencing tools, as well as some Klein wire strippers and cutters.

I was curious if anyone had any positives or negatives on either, both brands seem to have what I need available.

Thank you in advance.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
I like channellock.

Buy em at fleas markets, pawn shops.

Also look at Knipex
Posted By: miguel Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
I had a pair of Klein side cutters for a very long time, cut everything with them. Someone snagged them out of my toolbox so I needed a replacement. Thought I would try the channel locks. Within a week the tip on one side broke off. Definitely not Klein quality.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
If your going to actually use them Klein are the better brand, and you will appreciate the durability!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
The only Kleindls, or Snap on tools I have are bargain pickups.
Posted By: papat Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Klein
Posted By: JeffA Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
For a good heavy duty pair on needle nose pliers I'd go with these,

Pliers, Needle Nose Side-Cutters, Stripping, 8-Inch #J203-8N

[Linked Image from bateselectric.com]

Lots of specialty tools when it comes to mid and light weight sized needle nose pliers, many good brands to choose from.

I prefer the Knipex Cobra series for Water Pump pliers over the Channel Locks but both perform well and seem to hold up well but you do get what you pay for with Knipex tools.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com][Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Knipex is always the correct answer.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Thanks for these examples - food for thought. Owning a few very high quality tools - mostly older versions that were Dad's - the rest of the array is a mixed bag ranging from decent to rough. Probably a good thing that type of labor is pastime and that I did not try to make a living with such tools.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Ifyou need to cut any sort of heavy gauge wire klein
Posted By: JeffA Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by miguel
I had a pair of Klein side cutters for a very long time, cut everything with them. Someone snagged them out of my toolbox so I needed a replacement. Thought I would try the channel locks. Within a week the tip on one side broke off. Definitely not Klein quality.

You should give the Knipex 10" High Leverage Diagonal Cutters #74 01 250 a try.
The extra length makes a world of difference at the end of the day.

[Linked Image from knipex-tools.com]

The extra leverage makes for considerably easier cutting.
[Linked Image]
Knipex.......................vs......... Standard Klien Pro Series
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
I have a few pairs of dykes that look like wire steippers
Posted By: hanco Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
I like Douglas Channel lock pliers, could care less about needle nose. I done use them much. This is Wifeys pair. They have her name stamped on them. I’m not allowed to touch her tool box, but she had to drive in to work today.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Sheister Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
As an electrician for 40+ years, I liked Klein tools best for most things but their "lifetime warranty" wasn't what it was cracked up to be. Several electricians and myself found out that their "lifetime" was what they considered the lifetime of the tool and wouldn't warranty their tools that broke that they felt had been used for the lifetime of the tool. This was directly from the Klein representative we used to do business with at the supply house. I had a Klein adjustable pump pliers the broke the sliding adjustments teeth once while using it and they wouldn't warranty it. It was practically new. IME, it's a mixed bag- most of their tools are great and I've got lots of Klein tools in my tool bag still, but I watch for deals on good tools now and find their are some great tools around for much less money than the ransom Klein wants. The Kobalt tools at Lowes are excellent and much cheaper . In tools like needle nose pliers shop around . It is hard to make a bad pair of needle nose pliers IMO....
Thank you all for the responses and opinions.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
I own some of both and used them for work.
Never preferred over over the other.
I did like the heavy slip om grips that Klein had
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Double post----sorry
knipex, hands down
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
There may be better, but I'm content with my Channellock tools. I have over 20 years of daily M-F work on my 440's, 430's and 420's and they're still going strong.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
I too was an electrician for 40+ years here in the Chicagoland area. I did mainly commercial and industrial, nothing residential. I preferred Klein tools for everything but the adjustable pliers and carried only Channel-Lock 420', 430's and 440's with me. Anything bigger was contractor supplied. That being said, I never put much thought into long nose/needle nose pliers and just got Klein along with all the rest of my tools.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Also look at Knipex
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Crescent. I bought a pair of these a couple of years ago. My Klein’s sit in the toolbox.

https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-PS6...;hvtargid=pla-4584482468477615&psc=1
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
I have a toolbox full of Snap on but my go-to dykes are Klein. Needlenose are snappy and Channel
Posted By: Stammster Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Can’t go wrong with Channellocks. Made is the good old USA, in Meadville, PA. Right across from the highway from the sewage treatment plant.
Posted By: coobie Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
I was a electric lineman for 38 years Klein all the way,,
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
I am shopping for new needlenose pliers, I need several of various lengths, and I'm phasing out my older junk ones. I own several sets of Channel Lock pliers and fencing tools, as well as some Klein wire strippers and cutters.

I was curious if anyone had any positives or negatives on either, both brands seem to have what I need available.

Thank you in advance.
Do a Google IMAGE search on "needle nose plier set"
There you will see what the world has to offer.
You might have to mix and match brands to get the sizes you want.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I have a few pairs of dykes that look like wire steippers

Posted By: sparkman10mm Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
If your going to actually use them Klein are the better brand, and you will appreciate the durability!
This...

3rd Gen Master Electrician...
Posted By: Lonny Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
knipex, hands down

Plus one! Klein is good too.
Posted By: sparkman10mm Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
This...

3rd Gen Master Electrician...
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
48 years as a JW Klein all day every day
Posted By: Dess Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
Klein.

Although Knipex makes a quality product too.
Posted By: 9point3 Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/10/23
I really like Klein screw drivers
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: Klein VS Channel Lock - 04/11/23
I carried a pair of 440 Channel Locks in my back pocket for many years at work but Klein makes some fine hand tools as well.
© 24hourcampfire