Home
Posted By: hanco What power tools do you use? - 04/11/23
I have DeWalt, had good luck with them. Battery and electric.
I have a couple Hitachi air nailers that I've had very good luck with. However, they've changed their name to Metabo. Does anyone know if they dropped any quality with the name change? I could use a new sliding miter saw and I see some good prices on Metabo but I don't know if they've changed quality. They're made in both Germany and China.
All of them. Milwaukee, Festool and DeWalt. Phasing out DeWalt for Milwaukee currently.
I use Milwaukee at work, but at home I have Ridgid, Milwaukee and DeWalt.
Vast majority for vehicles is Milwaukee except a couple random Ryobi tools for the yard.
Milwaukee…….
An older Makita drill motor and impact driver from back in my trades days. The battery life isn’t great anymore but is good enough for what I use them for now.

Corded Makita circular saw. A hodgepodge of corded angle grinders, and jigsaws. DeWalt sawzall.
DeWalt and Snap On here.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Teal Re: What power tools do you use? - 04/12/23
Milwaukee
Another one of those VERY personal questions that gets posited now and again on this site.

Oh, snap.............................you didn't mean THOSE power type tools.

blush
Dewalt. I started with a 20 V drill and drives etc then stayed with them to use the same batteries.
Everything battery is Milwaukee, gas is stihl
Battery powered is all DeWalt, even the radio, weed eater & chainsaw.
Electric are a mix:
Chop saws are DeWalt.
Roofing nailers are DeWalt
Air compressor is DeWalt
Framing nailers are Bostitch
Still using a 40yo craftsman table saw, lathe & bandsaw
Portable table saw is Ridgid
Posted By: EdM Re: What power tools do you use? - 04/12/23
Milwaukee here and Harbor Freight in Idaho.
Porter cable
I've got a couple Black and Decker corded drills, and an "assortment" of Dewalt 20 volt tools.
1/2" drill
sawsall
grinder
flashlight
and a impact.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Another one of those VERY personal questions that gets posited now and again on this site.

I know, right?

Next thing ya know someone'll wanna know whether we put beans in our chili (for fugg's sakes!).
Went with DeWalt. Had to replace drill transmission after moderate use. Wasn't end of the world but not something I was expecting.
Mainly Dewalt and makita. Makita is battery powered and the Dewalts are corded. Air tools and others are different manufacturers
I've had 2 Milwaukee drills that failed, both under warranty. They sent me prepaid labels, I shipped them off, and 2 weeks later I got them back repaired. Good warranty service.
Posted By: gunzo Re: What power tools do you use? - 04/12/23
Mergers are meant to confuse the buyer IMO. Metabo was once a very highend & expensive tool. Now Hatachi? or vis versa, who knows.

Before Dewalt bought B&D, Dewalt was the bargain brand of the 2, now the opposite.

All this was some time ago, now? Skill used to be great stuff, now? Hilty, wonderful & expensive tools my last days rigging 10 years ago. Now?

If I had a crystal ball I would have bought Milwaukee battery tools instead of the DeWalt I have that so many stores were carrying at the time. Now, many DeWalt DC products are scarce here.

Long story short, Milwaukee still seems a safe bet, but they might be bought by the Sumtingwong Corp. next week.
Originally Posted by MPat70
Electric are a mix:
Chop saws are DeWalt.
Air compressor is DeWalt

same here, but my tablesaw is also DeWalt.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
I sort of accidentally got invested in Ryobi when I bought a bunch of 18Volt Ryobi tools and batteries at a estate sale very cheap. Even though they are the target of hate from tool purists, they have always given me good service. I even expanded my collection because I had the batteries that fit everything. I have no complaints, especially with their newer tools. Not all of their offering are the best, but most are close enough for my needs. I also like the price!
I'm a tool slut. Have 14 different brands from grizzly, to Bosch, to makita, to Milwaukee, to Hitachi, to Dewalt, to Chicago (harbor freight), to everything else.
Milwaukee, I've had the others. Only other I would consider is Makita.
Dewalt, Makita and Ryobi 18V assorted tools.
My grizzly 13.5" planer and 2 hp dust collection are now stars. I Will likely replace my Dewalt table saw with a grizzly as I move towards retirement.
Posted By: Dre Re: What power tools do you use? - 04/12/23
I’ve got bunch of ridgid tools. When I first got into construction I had little of everything. Dewalt, hitachi, Bosch. Dewalt batteries were stupid expensive .
Ended up with ridgid more and more. Mainly because the life time warranty as the local HD had a repair center. And so many tools option.
Unfortunately repairs could take weeks or months and now you have to send the tools in. Kind of useless for guys in the trade when they need things back in days or a week, not months.
If I were to do it again, Milwaukee hands down. Makita is solid as well, but tool selection isn’t there like some of the others.
My power tools plug into the wall- - - - -the batteries never run down. Some of them are 3 phase, like my crankshaft grinder, a couple of lathes, a milling machine, and a valve seat and guide machine. Single phase equipment includes a Sunnen hone, a cylinder boring machine, three welders, a couple of drill presses, and a cabinet full of corded hand tools.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
My grizzly 13.5" planer and 2 hp dust collection are now stars. I Will likely replace my Dewalt table saw with a grizzly as I move towards retirement.

If you're considering a cabinet saw be sure to check out the General 350 cabinet saw.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Electric are a mix:
Chop saws are DeWalt.
Air compressor is DeWalt

same here, but my tablesaw is also DeWalt.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
How do you like it? This 40yo craftsman table saw is going to get retired this year (I'm already looking) it's been a great saw, paid $40 for it at a garage moving sale in California 30years ago. But I feel it's time to upgrade. DeWalt is for sure my first choice (and probably the only choice).
Masterforce drill and 1/2" impact have treated me well through a lot of work and many years around the house / farm.

Milwaukee gets it at work
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have a couple Hitachi air nailers that I've had very good luck with. However, they've changed their name to Metabo. Does anyone know if they dropped any quality with the name change? I could use a new sliding miter saw and I see some good prices on Metabo but I don't know if they've changed quality. They're made in both Germany and China.

Metabo has always made quality tools so I doubt the quality went downhill with the name change!

They were always marketed to comercial construction!
How do you like it? .

Great hybrid saw, but it's been discontinued for years......
Mostly makita
I started with an 18v dewalt drill. Was going to upgrade to new Milwaukee stuff, but wife came home with a big set of 20v dewalt. So that’s what I have.

Was going to buy a trim nailer, but the Dewalt was expensive for the small job I was doing. Ended up buying a Ryobi and 2 big batteries for cheaper than the Dewalt bare tool. It worked great. Have sense bought a few more specialty Ryobi tools and have no complaints for the low amount of use they get.
Milwaukee is what i have these days and love them.

From 1/2 in.drill to the impacts 1/4,3/8 and 1/2 in. they are workhorses.

The only thing i have from them is a blower but it has low output.

Maybe just a smaller type.
I currently have more Makita than anything else but also have Milwaukee, DeWalt, Rigid, Ryobi, and Bosch.
Even have a few of the disposable Horrible Freight tools for less important tasks,
Cordless stuff is all Bosch for sake of only having one type of battery.

Corded is a hodge lodge of stuff…Powermatic, Delta, Jet and Hitachi make up my big woodworking stuff. Have some porter cable, dewalt, and craftsman corded hand tools.
Milwaukee cordless stuff, mix of Milwaukee, Skil, Rigid and Makita electric stuff....went battery powered for a weedeater a while back and that's DeWalt
Milwaukee though I do have a couple Makitas knocking around until the batteries give up.
For battery operated I’ve had DeWalt for many years, recently bought a Milwaukee set and like them.

Got a couple of Mikita power tools, been happy with them.

I have a 40 year Delta table saw and a 15 year old Delta miter saw. Love em both.

My kids bought me a DeWalt planer for Christmas last year, haven’t used it but a couple times. Liking it.
lots of ryobi new 1/2 impact and grease gun from Milwalkie.

norm
Posted By: ewc Re: What power tools do you use? - 04/12/23
I use everything. I set steel and build commercial buildings.

My favorites are Gehl and Link-Belt or Grove
Most of my battery tools are Ryobi. They work far better than they should given the price. I haven't really worn one out yet, including several so old they are blue not green. One of my favorites is a chain saw on a pole. Ryobi batteries are so cheap compared to everything else. I think I have 12 or so.

My wood working tools are DeWalt (planer), Jet (jointer and 14" band saw), and an older Delta table saw.
Posted By: pal Re: What power tools do you use? - 04/12/23
No one company makes the best tools across every category. But nearly 50 years of professional use has led me to prefer the following:

Best drill motors: Milwaukee/Sioux

Best reciprocating saws and angle grinders: Milwaukee

Best sabre saws, belt sanders and electric die grinders: Bosch

Best routers: Rockwell, Porter-Cable, Bosch

Best builders saws: Skil

Best oscillating multi tools: Fein (commercial)

Best track saws: Festool

Best power planes: Ryobi (with mods)

Biscuit joiners: Lamello

blush

Not your chainsaw powered strap on buddy..
I use Ironbender's...they come with free beer😉
Been using Milwaukee for the last 12 years. Before that it was Makita.
Posted By: JeffA Re: What power tools do you use? - 04/12/23
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
I use Ironbender's...they come with free beer😉

So I'm not the only one with such neighbors....
Good to know.....I guess.
I have a Kobalt 80V chain saw that works pretty well. It uses a standard Oregon chain and bar and most of you know how well they cut. When I bought the saw, I needed a saw TODAY. It was close to Christmas and that was the only battery saw available in town. Some friends have a Dewalt 60V saw. They run and cut about the same. The Kobalt does have an advantage in that it has a quick charger. I will charge a dead battery in 1/2 the time of the Dewalt.
Supposedly the Kobalt batteries are rebranded Green Works.
Festool, DeWalt and Milwaukee. 3hp Unisaw does the heavy lifting.
Mostly DeWalt and Milwaukee, but I have some old Craftsman and some cheap Harbor Freight too.
Mostly Milwaukee, then Ridgid, DeWalt, Makita, Porter Cable and Delta
I just bought a Kobalt 80v chainsaw. I cranked it up yesterday for the first time and sawed up some 12 inch diameter yellow pine for kindling wood. Pretty good little chain saw.
Nice to run a chain saw and not wear the ear muffs.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

blush

Not your chainsaw powered strap on buddy..

The three ways were so much fun back then.

Hookers and blow.
Toothbrush.
Posted By: johnw Re: What power tools do you use? - 04/12/23
DoAll saw, CRS crane, Various Miller and Lincoln welders, Scotchman Ironworker, Rigid pipe threaders, Kalamazoo trucks...
Posted By: richj Re: What power tools do you use? - 04/12/23
replaced my Sears drill (second battery) with Milwaukee. vacuum and drill.

Porter Cable ( I had no idea they were for all purposes out of business)

2 biscuit joiners
D handle router

Old Skil saw , Bosch jigsaw

oh the stationary stuff is Delta (also out of business) Unisaw and contractors slide/compound saw
Posted By: Ella Re: What power tools do you use? - 04/12/23
I've got a little of everything. Skil and Craftsman, a radial arm saw from the 80s. Ryobi, Bosch, Mateba, Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt...I think that's it. Dremel!
Posted By: bjc68 Re: What power tools do you use? - 04/13/23
Cordless tools are Milwaukee M18 and M12. Wood shop is pretty split between Grizzly, Jet and Dewalt. Portable power tools are split between what was rated best at the time of purchase so a smattering of Bosch, Porter Cable ( when they were Porter Cable), Dewalt, Milwaukee, Fein, Roto-Zip but not one Makita.
I have Dewalt Bosch, and a Skil saw. At work all Milwaukee.
© 24hourcampfire