Home
Posted By: tikkanut Iffin your $900K house...... - 04/23/23
Slid down the mountain............??

Utah is slidin' away

Shoulda/coulda thought before ya bought that scenic mtn lot

https://www.ksl.com/article/50627265/2-homes-slide-in-draper-nearby-trails-closed
Posted By: Dutch Re: Iffin your $900K house...... - 04/23/23
Let the finger pointing begin…
That's a tough deal.
Posted By: Steve Re: Iffin your $900K house...... - 04/23/23
Only a year old. Wonder if a case could be made against an engineering firm that approved the geology report and foundation plans and/or the builder.

Probably all are rushing to file chapter 11 or 7.
That video was pretty wild.
Posted By: EdM Re: Iffin your $900K house...... - 04/23/23
My wife has always been firm with our buys. No mountain edge and no waterfront. We agree.
Originally Posted by Steve
Only a year old. Wonder if a case could be made against an engineering firm that approved the geology report and foundation plans and/or the builder.

If you’d read the stories, it says the builder has bought one house already.
First question , where did all the foundation drains and roof , driveway water drain to , i have seen to many places where the storm drainage goes out to the side hill , add a septic field in the same area and you have a recipe for soil failure.

norm
Some friends in California bought a house in coastal California. Their front door is about 50 yards from a 40' cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Of course, I knew that the Pacific Coast eroded. All you have to do is look at the boulders that make up the beach to realize that it erodes.

But I didn't know how abruptly it eroded or how much eroded at a time.

The last time we visited was about 10 years ago. About 20 yards in front of their house the land has slumped about three feet. It just dropped. The road that passes in front of their house was split right down the middle and is now unusable.

They've since moved to Washington State but they still own the house. I'd hate to be a Realtor trying to sell it.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
That video was pretty wild.
Looks like just the back fell off.
Posted By: Steve Re: Iffin your $900K house...... - 04/23/23
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

If you’d read the stories, it says the builder has bought one house already.

Didn't read it all the way. Went back and read it all.

Thanks!
Posted By: Osky Re: Iffin your $900K house...... - 04/23/23

Great question however anybody being sued will probably oh not the extreme weather and bring out the old “act of god” clause and that will be that.

Osky
As Paul Simon would say Slip Sliding Away.
I wonder if they did a geotechnical study of the area. I will bet they didn’t. Let the finger pointing and lawsuits begin as the developer, and city and homeowners play the blame game. And the guy across the street? He better get his bug out bag ready. Having done geotech myself, these slides tend to keep back breaking until they toe out against something on the other side. Looking at the escarpment, there’s a good chance he’s going for a ride too.
Originally Posted by EdM
My wife has always been firm with our buys. No mountain edge and no waterfront. We agree.

Anyone with brains would agree..
At least it didn't "Roll Away"
Adieu.
Originally Posted by EdM

Better throw in flood plain in there. I see new houses being built in “500” year flood plain around here. The 500 year flood plain that flooded in 64 and might really be a 50 or 100 year flood plain.
Posted By: RicG Re: Iffin your $900K house...... - 04/23/23
Must be Trump's fault.
Look out Rocky!
Who issued the Building Permit?
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed, you are likely right. I have a cabin that sits 125 yds away from a river called S. Fork Flambeau River in NW WIs. It is 125 yds from the water and it sliding toward the river. In 34 yrs it has moved about 16" toward the river. It is on pilasters however , and not a basement , but still, you would think they would know better than build on that soft dirt.
Originally Posted by EdM

Hmm, explain all the homes that are on steep hillsides around the mediterranean that have never slid down a hill. Some of these homes have been there for centuries.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by EdM

Hmm, explain all the homes that are on steep hillsides around the mediterranean that have never slid down a hill. Some of these homes have been there for centuries.

The houses are likely on rock. Like I said, I have a cabin 125 yds from the water and it is still sliding to the river . It slid about 12" , maybe more in 25 yrs. It is very loamy soil though .
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by EdM

The houses are likely on rock. Like I said, I have a cabin 125 yds from the water and it is still sliding to the river . It slid about 12" , maybe more in 25 yrs. It is very loamy soil though .

Exactly. No one in their right mind puts it on dirt unless of course they spend a ton on underpinnings which would really jack up the price.
Years ago, I lived in Boise. I had a co-worker who owned a house on a steep hillside. When they excavated for the house, they put the dirt on the downhill side and made a lawn on it. After a few years, we had a very wet winter. The ground soaked up and come spring, the entire lawn just slide down the hill. It left the house undamaged but right on the edge of a steep dropoff.

Simple fact: gravity will win.
Tikkanut: YIKES!
Poor decision making/planning there.
Hate to see anyones homes harmed - even not so smart folks.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Utah is slidin' away

https://www.ksl.com/article/50627265/2-homes-slide-in-draper-nearby-trails-closed

they developed/built on a known existing landslide....
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Utah is slidin' away

they developed/built on a known existing landslide....
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s69g653t

always indoors, are you still wettin' the bed, or chittin' it now?
Oh a failed link? You showed me
https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s69g653t

always indoors, are you still wettin' the bed, or chittin' it now?
Insurance don’t cover that. Sometimes I see these places and think good hell how did you think the side of a hill was a great building lot.
The builder "Edge Homes" also has several other homes that are sinking, in other parts of Utah, on flat ground lots. Coincidence? You be the judge...
Much more snow to melt yet......

https://www.ksl.com/article/5062526...100-landslide-locations-across-the-state
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Oh a failed link? You showed me

have your mom show you how to cut and paste into a browser, you'll get there, just behind everyone else, per usual
Geomorphic and hazard vulnerability assessment of recent residential developments on landslide-prone terrain: the case of the Traverse Mountains, Utah, USA
Geomorphic and hazard vulnerability assessment of recent residential developments on landslide-prone terrain: the case of the Traverse Mountains, Utah, USA

Lotta peeps in the SL Valley are gonna get wet feet this late spring
This........too bad this isn't the same ole Draper Utah as in the early 80's

Fat cat developers screwed the cat.......

Posted By: EdM Re: Iffin your $900K house...... - 04/24/23
Originally Posted by EdM

Rocket science...
Bring back Widowmaker

After all the homes slide down the mountain

I looked at a house locally built on a creek bank about 20' above the creek and was trying to slide into the creek. The back of the house was splitting off and the foundation was broken. I couldn't see any reasonable way of fixing it, by the time you drove pilings into the back of the house it would have exceeded the value of the already broken house. Someone lost there a$$ on that one, and it was old enough it wasn't the builder.
Bring back Widowmaker

After all the homes slide down the mountain

any 'Utahan's remember Widow maker ?
The Tower in SF that is sinking due to a shortcut the builders took . That one takes the cake.
They built that house at the HEAD of a gully, a valley formed by erosion? Are they blind?

No geologist or geological engineer was consulted, that's for sure. If they were they need to be sued.

It amazes me when people build homes on the edges of unconglomerated sediment cliffs next to the ocean, or on the outside bend of a meandering river, or right down to the lakeshore again on unconsolidated structure.
This

'nother one ready to slide off the mountain

Hope they clean up all that debris

https://www.ksl.com/article/5062826...-is-at-risk-of-sliding-off-man-made-lots
Builder must be awful
© 24hourcampfire