Home
I live in Springfield Missouri.
The mosquitoes are never good here, but damn! They are terrible this year. They are so bad this year that my dog wanted to go in the house. Damn mosquitoes are out all day. It used to just suck in the morning and the evening for a few hours.

I know I sound like a little bitch because a lot of live in notorious mosquitoe country.

What is a good remedy?

Thank you
50% DEET is your friend!
Over 50% doesn't do any better, or last any longer.
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com][Linked Image from is2.ecplaza.com]

INSECT FOGGER_________BIG ASS FAN
The propane traps work pretty well especially if it’s away from the area one want lower skeeter population.
https://spartanmosquito.com
Broadly applying fumigants will kill a lot of nontarget species, many are beneficial. Find areas that have stagnant water and treat those with mosquito specific insecticides, usually in pellet form. Use bug spray as needed, deet works awesome as said.
Mitigate areas they reproduce such as old tires, stock tanks etc, pretty much anything that holds water that is stagnant.
Or move somewhere that mosquitoes aren't a problem
Tag for later.

It's been a bad year so far.
Originally Posted by Jahrs
Tag for later.

It's been a bad year so far.

What do you guys expect with all the rain we've had this winter and spring...

15 years in Minnesota taught me wet means skeeters. Hell the Skeeter is the Minnesota State Bird.

as Mark said above... Deet... or any other bug juice...

Shoot it on your hands, scrub face and arms, neck or any other exposed skin.. Wash hands off and don't rub your eyes until ya do...

I've had plenty of skeeters bite me right thru my t Shirt back there.. as I said, they are the state bird.
I've felt a bite on my hand more than once and wack it with my other hand, and see that I just killed half a dozen or more mosquitoes...
Diesel fuel poured on the surface of the water where the larva are at..

Captain Planet weeps....
πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€£πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ
Originally Posted by renegade50

Or cooking oil
Originally Posted by Stammster

Or cooking oil
Yeah, with fewer repercussions
2sticks,

move to the desert???
I wear baggy oversized Columbia PFG clothing for bug protection. Has worked well for me.
Look into a DYNATRAP.
Do you have mosquito Joe's around there? If you do their treatment works fantastic been using them for the last couple years.
Take vitamin B. Take two a day. It takes 7-10 days to get it built up enough to work. I take two B complex every morning. They don't bite me now.

Captain Planet weeps....
πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€£πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ
Local mosquito control for the county hires a company that uses crop dusters to fly over the woods and drop what looks like ground up corn husks treated with larvae killer over any standing water they find. They'll also spray neighborhoods at night during the summer with a fogger. Mosquitos are almost non-existent around here...
Malathion.
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
Take vitamin B. Take two a day. It takes 7-10 days to get it built up enough to work. I take two B complex every morning. They don't bite me now.
THIS ^^^^^
Originally Posted by DaveinWV

I've been taking 1 b-complex daily for several years (start of Covid)

They bit the hell out of me this morning.

wife started using Thermocell for us a couple years back, and it does keep mosquitos at bay for yards around.
If you are more or less stationary, say sitting on the deck with a sundowner, or BBQ, try thermocell . I think there may be similar products with other brand names.

It works..
I quit using deet on myself when around my own property.
It's just nasty to have on all the time.

We have a large variety of mosquitos along with no-seeums, often in large abundance.

Life in the Everglades taught me a lot about insect control.
The south is pretty comparable to Alaska when it comes to nasty airborne insects that seem like nothing but teeth with wings.

The fans are the ticket for your personal outdoor space.

You gotta use HVLS fans (high volume low speed), they are a common sight in outdoor dining areas at restaurants where the mosquitos dwell.

[Linked Image from fsrmagazine.com]
[Linked Image from static.wixstatic.com]

Often they go unnoticed but they are there primarily for flying insect control.

The concept works just dandy for your personal areas around your home.

[Linked Image from azenco-outdoor.com]

I have large box fans I setup for outdoor project work, a good one can cover a large area.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

The insect fogging control works well too.
You don't need to use a insecticide that kills anything.
In fact they're less effective than a good repellent.

I have to fog about 3 times a week due to our high humidity offering damp wet mornings.

I mix vegetable oil with the repellent so its more effective in my environment.

I use this and other like products.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com][Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

To each his own.
old trick, ( I forgot who told me this but it was in Boy Scouts) and it worked out fine...
pin a drier sheet on your t shirt, up near your neck will keep mosquitoes away from ya also..

something about the smell of it, mosquitoes don't like much evidently.

or maybe it just the combination of my B.O. and the drier sheet? ya never know for sure... smile
Thanks for the above tip Jeff A..

What caught my eye, living in southern Oregon ( we don't have a real mosquito problem in my opinion)
but I read on the label, that with most of that spray being garlic, it also keeps away geese and deer...

I'm sure that would probably include elk... Now those 3 animals ARE a problem..

What kind of store carries that Mosquito Barrier Product?

Gotta try that out...
Double 00 buckshot.....cuz they can stand flat-footed and screw a turkey!!
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Malathion.

This, get the mixer that goes on the end of the water hose, read the instructions for spraying your lawn, and spray your whole yard, it Works for about 3-5 days then re-apply
Originally Posted by Seafire
Thanks for the above tip Jeff A..

What caught my eye, living in southern Oregon ( we don't have a real mosquito problem in my opinion)
but I read on the label, that with most of that spray being garlic, it also keeps away geese and deer...

I'm sure that would probably include elk... Now those 3 animals ARE a problem..

What kind of store carries that Mosquito Barrier Product?

Gotta try that out...

Mosquito Barrier $23.00

Compare labels for ingredients and these two appear the same BUT one is a concentrate that makes gallons, the other is pre-mixed ready to use..
Don't get fooled by a lesser price.

Garlic Barrier $15.11
Got tired of hauling brogans around on my feet. So I bought some low quarter work shoes. NICE!
THEN....they put me on a little Ford tractor with a sickle mower to mow ditches.
It was in south Louisiana, so a heavy dew EVERY morning! But I noticed the mower was kicking up dust.
Hmmm?
Suddenly, the mower snagged a piece of steel cable and stopped.
I bailed off the tractor to remove the cable and immediately jumped right back on the tractor! 🀯
What I "thought" was dust was a cloud of mosquitoes!!!!!
My ankles itched the rest of the day.
The next day, brogans became the common footwear!
Originally Posted by Stickfight

this!
las, one a day doesn't do it. I got the tip from a co-worker that was stationed in AK setting up navaids for aircraft in the late 40's.
Thank you for the information.
Thanks Jeff for the garlic stuff info.
© 24hourcampfire