Home
I haven't officially declared war on moles until this week. They have really tore up my lawn. I am not a lawn elitist. Just want to keep the dirt down. I do love my vegetable garden and flower beds though.

Used one of those spike traps. The "trick" is to get on a fresh tunnel and step on it to block the passage way. Set the trap on the depressed dirt with the trigger plate flat on the depression. If I were to design one, I think the spikes should be closer together.

I have chickens and a dog so I didn't want to mess with poison. Trapping is more fun anyway.

[Linked Image]
Mole are a pain to me as my dogs will dig them up for tidbits. The resulting holes are then in need of filling and seeding. They have dug some canyons chasing them dang moles.
2-3 a year get killed in my backyard that I know of. Russell Terriers are their worst nightmare.
Not enough luck with the traps. I've already gone through a box of poison worms trying to control them.
https://www.sacnaturecenter.net/vis...r-way-around-if-they-have-poor-eyesight/

They eat a ton of worms!
I have killed 4 in my yard this past week. Three were killed in traps, and the other one I saw pushing up a big mound of dirt, and I put a water hose down the hole and let the water run until the mole came out of the ground. They make a mess out of a yard.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Not enough luck with the traps. I've already gone through a box of poison worms trying to control them.

Grubs work better, but you got to bait their tunnel in different spots. Had a war with some for a couple years, put down lots of insect and grub killer. Also heard that dog poo works also.
Look at the diggers on that beast...
They nearly ruined Bill Mahers life.

Found one dead on the patio last week. First one I have ever seen in my neck of the woods. Had no idea they were even in these parts.
We have pocket gophers and voles but no moles.
Moles and coons must die!
Are you a cat person
I carry birdshot in my G19 when I mow. By doing that I guarantee that that I won’t see moles. If I leave my pistol in the house the moles come out and taunt me. 😀
None here, but have experienced those blind little excavators elsewhere - what a mess. Fortunately, a king snake chose our place for residence and the mole problem vanished.
I had a case of moles at my last house about 25 years ago. It turned out that I had a bad case of grubs also. Everybody said to kill the grubs and the moles will go away. Turns out that the schit you need to kill the grubs is an arm and a leg. Can't remember what it was, some kind of a spore I think.

Had a vole here at the office several years ago. The SOB killed a whole bunch of bushes. He ate the roots. I poisoned him.
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I had a case of moles at my last house about 25 years ago. It turned out that I had a bad case of grubs also. Everybody said to kill the grubs and the moles will go away. Turns out that the schit you need to kill the grubs is an arm and a leg. Can't remember what it was, some kind of a spore I think.

Had a vole here at the office several years ago. The SOB killed a whole bunch of bushes. He ate the roots. I poisoned him.

MilkySpore maybe? I think you are on to something with the grubs. Had my yard sprayed for them a few weeks back and have seen no Japanese beetles yet.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

MilkySpore maybe? I think you are on to something with the grubs. Had my yard sprayed for them a few weeks back and have seen no Japanese beetles yet.

Yes, milky spore. It came to me right when you responded. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Yes, milky spore. It came to me right when you responded. Thanks.

It was more money then spraying my lawn.
I thought moles are the meat eaters and voles eat vegetation?

Could be wrong about that.
No problem here with moles but the dang voles burrowed under my green onions and ate a bunch. I literally saw a green onion start shaking and slowly disappear going down into ground! Kind of like a bugs bunny cartoon when the carrot disappears under the ground.
Moles are a perpetual problem in my yard. We're bordered by forested areas and they keep coming in, even after I've trapped a few.
I was talking to someone that claimed he ran the exhaust from a small engine through a tube and into the tunnels. Said the carbon monoxide killed them, but you had to run it for at least 45 minutes. Anyone ever try that?

Jerry
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Yeah, I think you're right about that.

Around here, Moles are small about the size of a mouse and they eat worms and grubs. Voles are bigger. The one we had was about as big as a mink and they eat roots. I'd have several good sized shrubs just up and die. You could grab it with one hand and pull it out of the ground and the roots would be gone.
Originally Posted by Jerryv
I was talking to someone that claimed he ran the exhaust from a small engine through a tube and into the tunnels. Said the carbon monoxide killed them, but you had to run it for at least 45 minutes. Anyone ever try that?

Jerry

Nah just cherry bombs when they were semi-legal on ground hogs.
This method seems to get rid of them.

Originally Posted by Jerryv

Jerry
I've tried smoke bombs made for that. Didn't seem very effective. But, that doesn't mean a mower run for 45 minutes wouldn't.
We had moles once, backed the Chevy with 200K on it to where I had opened a tunnel and stuck a length of sump pump drain hose in it. Taped it to the exhaust and put dirt around the hose/tunnel end. Let it idle for half hour and never saw moles again.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Get a Beagle like Daisy and you won't have any more moles, or voles.
Build on permafrost and you won't have that problem.
Large scale pocket gopher killer.

Makes a tunnel underground and deposits poisonous seeds every few feet.

I've seen it kill gophers for months after creating a grid at 25' spacing. Gophers find the tunnel, and follow it, eating the bait.

Looking backward at the created tunnel.

Originally Posted by GAGoober
No problem here with moles but the dang voles burrowed under my green onions and ate a bunch. I literally saw a green onion start shaking and slowly disappear going down into ground! Kind of like a bugs bunny cartoon when the carrot disappears under the ground.
Voles are hell on cantaloup. They’ll chew a hole in the bottom and hollow it out. You can’t tell its gone until you pick it
They tear the crap out of my lawn too. Looking for grubs and nightcrawlers.

Ton
I read that a mole needs 50 to 100% of it's weight in bugs per day. They'll dig as much as 150' of new tunnels a day to get them.
Where do the rich moles live?

In Beverly Holes.
nice fur. I always thought a real mole union suit would be a dandy addition to my winter warddrobe.
Neighbor's cat takes care of them in our yard. No more fighting them!
So it turns out that moles are solitary and there are usually only a couple per acre.

Because I saw multiple places where the dirt was pushed up, I thought that meant multiple moles. Some places were 30 yards apart.

They have deep tunnels and travel to those spots where their activity can be spotted.

After killing the 1 Mole, I have yet to see any fresh sign.

I am amazed that one small critter left that much sign (damage).

Karen next door will probably keep the area well populated, so I will just set a trap when fresh sign is spotted.
I’ve taken out four last year and five this spring using scissor traps. Here’s a couple from this spring.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by GAGoober

Lolol….that would be worth seeing ONCE and then I’d unload on the little varmint. 😀
Would you post a picture showing the damage? I would like to see what kind of destruction the moles cause.
My yard as well. I think the mole rut is hot and heavy right now.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Yeah, I think you're right about that.

Around here, Moles are small about the size of a mouse and they eat worms and grubs. Voles are bigger. The one we had was about as big as a mink and they eat roots. I'd have several good sized shrubs just up and die. You could grab it with one hand and pull it out of the ground and the roots would be gone.

Good luck telling someone they have voles.
The first thing they do is correct you.

If you see them above ground, it's likely voles.
If you see them often, definitely voles.
I've tried mouse and rat traps for voles, poor results.
Caught mice, birds, some little critter something else ate.....
Finally resorted to Tomcat bait stations, went through a bunch of bait but
finally got rid of the bastiges.
Originally Posted by DaveR
This method seems to get rid of them.

Looks like a quick way to Till a field.

Funny stuff right here
He could have won the Darwin Award on this one.
Originally Posted by AdventureBound
Would you post a picture showing the damage? I would like to see what kind of destruction the moles cause.

Taint pretty Magee.

They can have tunnels 30-40 feet from each mound. The tunnels are raised which kills the grass roots making them easy to follow.
Some years ago we had quite a population boom and they were even "tearing up jack" out in the woods.
© 24hourcampfire