Home
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Midway USA says I have been a customer for 26 years.

I had been reloading for a year before I discovered Midway.

I got my RCBS Partner kit for Christmas when I was 12.

My boys will have gotten started well before I did. I was self taught though. My dad wasn't in to it.

When did you guys get started?
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
25 years ago
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Around 16 years ago
Posted By: papat Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Over 35 years now.
Posted By: RMiller2 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
One of my best friends and I self taught at about age 15. My dad had the reloading equipment but had not reloaded for 6-7 years. We took the equipment and set it up and learned how to reload from the first few pages in a Speer reloading manual.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
~38 years. Started with RCBS equipment. Hornady manual was my 1st book.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Originally Posted by papat
Over 35 years now.
This. Pards dad had his bench set up in the kitchen of their 10x50sh trailer house.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Did some reloading back in 19 & 81/82 with who I thought would eventually be my FIL.
haven't touched any reloading equipment since.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Originally Posted by RMiller2
One of my best friends and I self taught at about age 15. My dad had the reloading equipment but had not reloaded for 6-7 years. We took the equipment and set it up and learned how to reload from the first few pages in a Speer reloading manual.
That’s what I did as well
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
1996 in Kodiak AK. I had a 257 Roberts, a 35 Whelen and a 45-70 that I needed stout loads for. That stuff was all but impossible to find on the island and online ordering wasn't a thing then. You had to root through catalogs and call in orders.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
In my early 40's.

Self taught. Started with .38 wadcutters and HP38.

Don't reload nearly as much as I'd like.
Posted By: DocHolliday Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Shotshells-51 years
Metallic-45 years
Posted By: HoosierHawk Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
1991, after I got back from Desert Storm and used the money I'd saved up during that time to buy a Colt Lightweight Commander, Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum, a Rockchucker starter kit, and RCBS dies for both calibers. Bought them all at a small shop in Virginia Beach.

I knew nothing about handloading when I bought the gear. I picked the Rockchucker because it was $20 less than the Lyman, and $40 less than the Redding kits. The owner of the shop threw in a used copy of "The Gun Digest Book of Handgun Reloading" written by Dean Grennell and Wiley Clapp. Those two gents taught me how to load ammo.

Still have that press and those dies, and use them a lot.
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Bout the same as DocHolliday
Shotshells 53 years
Metallic 48 years

Dad taught me to load shotgun shells.
Metallic I figured out on my own by reading a reloading manual.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
I was 14 years old in 1979, when I got my first deer rifle, a Remington 788 in .308. After I blew through a couple boxes of factory 150 grains, I started reloading on my brother’s press.
I loaded for it up until I joined the Army at 19.
After ETS I got into loading more. A fellow I worked with became a mentor, and I started buy stuff from Midway then.
While I was gone, The Old Man fell in love with that 788, so I bought myself an oughtsix, and loaded for those two and my brothers .25-06 too.
Over the years my battery expanded, as did hand loading as my nephews and Bug Hunter started hunting and shooting.
Now 40 some years later I load around 15 different rifle cartridges.
I originally thought I’d save money at it, but I know I spend a helluva lot more ( as two spouses have pointed out grin ).
But I love hearing stuff go bang and I find the process both fun and relaxing.
7mm
Posted By: Lonerider Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Shotshells in 1969
Metallic(22-250) in 1971

Started buying from Midway long before they moved to VanHorn Tavern Road.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Been too long. I can't remember exactly. perhaps 44-45 yrs or so. When I go my reloading room will probably be sold off. Someone is going to get a very good deal. The kid and his kids only use what I load for them. They don't have any interest in learning what I do. Pity that.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
1967 I believe. Self taught after getting a 243 Lyman loading kit from my folks for Christmas. So easy a stupid teenager can do it. 😁
I made my own bench with 2x12s and 4x4s. I still use it.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Started in 1968 so 55 years.

Got a Lee Loader in .38/357 when I was 16 to shoot .38's out of a Ruger Blackhawk. First time I fired a reload I pushed the revolver out in front of me as far as I could and then turned my face away as far as possible so the shrapnel wouldn't blind me. When I squeezed the trigger it went bang instead of kaboom and a lifelong hobby was born.
Mideway used to have those newspaper type material catalogs. Thinking Nanchez did too.
Posted By: jimone Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Casting 38 bullets for my dad 50 years ago.
Reloading my 257 Roberts 47 yers ago.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Started reloading in 1978.

Been an addict ever since... blush

Ed
Posted By: mathman Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
About 46 years ago.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
1970, between visits to Vietnam.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
I learned the ropes in 1972 and assembled a few rounds now and then under my uncle's supervision. I wasn't interested enough to pursue it and actually load anything up on my own until 1981 when I bought my first centerfire handgun. I began to pursue it more seriously around 1991.

I don't think there's a cure.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Started shotshells in 1974/75
Started metallic cartridges in 1997
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
'79 started hand loading. There was a time when reloading components could not be shipped.

Know nothing about handloading or bore cleaning.....been a walking zombie since then.

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
1970, between visits to Vietnam.
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Time doesn't always equate to intelligence.....

Originally Posted by mathman
About 46 years ago.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Mideway used to have those newspaper type material catalogs. Thinking Nanchez did too.

Yeah. And then Midway came out with a Master catalog.

That was cool.
Posted By: Army_PSG Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
30 years (Metallic)

I started reloading in the early 90's when I was stationed near one of my Dad's friends who taught me. I bought the Lee Anniversary kit and that's what I learned on (I've massively upgraded but I still have some of that stuff and use it today). He had me order it from one of the paper Midway catalogs (Pre-Internet days). I used and still use Midway quite a bit.

A funny story is that in 1996 I was transferred to FT Drum, NY. About that time, Midway starting "issuing" customer numbers and they were based on ZIP codes (this was before they just used usernames/email addresses). The first 5 digits were your ZIP code and the next 3 were which number you were in that ZIP code. I was living on base so my mailing address used the base ZIP code of 13603. My customer number was 13603001. Go figure how many people were ordering from Midway on Ft Drum at that time LOL.
Posted By: Army_PSG Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Jim,

I still have several of those old catalogs
Posted By: Imissedm Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
1966 I could not find any factory ammo for deer hunting because of Vietnam. A friend loaded me a couple of boxes and I started acquiring my loading equipment and supplies and have been a reloading hoarder since
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Right after I bought my first 300wby rifle and saw what they were wanting for that ammo.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Started in 1968 so 55 years.

Got a Lee Loader in .38/357 when I was 16 to shoot .38's out of a Ruger Blackhawk. First time I fired a reload I pushed the revolver out in front of me as far as I could and then turned my face away as far as possible so the shrapnel wouldn't blind me. When I squeezed the trigger it went bang instead of kaboom and a lifelong hobby was born.
Jim, similar story here. I was 14 when I bought a Lee Loader in .308, box of 150 grain Hornady spire points, CCI 200s, can of 4064. Opened the loader to read the chart and see what powder to buy. Dad made me a wooden mallet out of a piece of pitchfork handle. Loaded some up and fired the first one with a bit of trepidation, but that scoop measured mild load worked fine. Bought a Rockchucker four years later in 1978. I bought a Lee Classic Loader last year, just for the memories. Gonna get back to my roots for a box or two.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Originally Posted by Army_PSG
Jim,

I still have several of those old catalogs

I have a couple yet too!
I don't do as well with the internet.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Started in 1964. .308, 30-06, 357 mag
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Reloaded in Australia (.220 swift & .222), for about 20 years.

Used to shoot a lot of kangaroos & pigs.

Factory, since arriving here, as we don't shoot anywhere near as many head of game.

More calibers (5) here, too.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

In the mid-late 1970s. I was 12-15. I had loaded before that but with close supervision.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Shotgun shells 1966
Rifle and handgun 1974.
Posted By: EdM Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
When I was 16 I bought a new S&W M29-2. I quickly learned I could not afford to shoot it. I bought an RCBS JR kit and off I went. First loads used the Speer 225 gr half jackets. I still have some. My middle son is now using that press. I am a bit over 61.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
80's when single with more time than money then dropped it when I got married, kids, career by 91'

Big time for birds and trap mostly. Steel only laws fugged it up and wasn't worth time or cost savings anymore when I had more money than time going into 90's.

Didn't need mail order back then everyone was stocking deep and cheap components at least here in the Central Valley Pacific Flyway of Kommiefornia.

This was the HS Pard on the right that got me into it as Dad a longtime hunter but was never into rolling his own. We both were married by this time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: jlink280 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
started in 05 after picking up a 257 Roberts and 280 remington. Remember thinking I'd never pay 27.99 for a box of 257 rounds. My grandpa's Lyman Spartan press and Redding powder measure was left behind. I picked up all I needed to get started reloading from Midway if I remember right.
Posted By: HoosierHawk Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
This is a very enjoyable thread. Please keep it going if you haven't posted in it yet.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
50 to 60 years ago, along side my dad.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Started loading at age 12 in 1970 right after my father’s welcomed death. Been at it since.

My loading was very rudimentary & basic. Started losing interest due to cheap loading tools. I picked up a Precision Reloading DVD by John Barsness and it was the impetus I seriously needed. Now I am ever fascinated with the accuracy obtained due to precision load tools. It was some extra $$, but it surely made all the difference.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
80's when single with more time than money then dropped it when I got married, kids, career by 91'

Big time for birds and trap mostly. Steel only laws fugged it up and wasn't worth time or cost savings anymore when I had more money than time going into 90's.

Didn't need mail order back then everyone was stocking deep and cheap components at least here in the Central Valley Pacific Flyway of Kommiefornia.

This was the HS Pard on the right that got me into it as Dad a longtime hunter but was never into rolling his own. We both were married by this time.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Details on the old Ford?
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
I bought my first LEE shotshell loader when I was 15 or thereabouts, from a K-Mart in Olathe KS. I puttered around with Lee stuff for about four more years, until I bought a used RCBS Jr. press and started loading pistol ammo for my new-found addiction to handguns. Speer's #9 manual provided all my instruction, I'd c-clamp that press to my barracks room desk and load away for shooting on the weekends. After a few years of that, I bought a Dillon Square Deal, and later, a 550B. That was a long time ago, maybe around 1974 or thereabouts. That makes it 49 years, I guess.
Midway says I've been a customer for 17 years, but I was buying their stuff at gunshows locally long before then. Along with all the other purveyors of gun stuff.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Just before my second daughter was born in 1965. A friend and I went in partnership to load 38-357 shells. We bought a RCBS jr press and dies. Hasbeen
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23

My boys will have gotten started well before I did. I was self taught though. My dad wasn't in to it.

Started right close to 1973.......ole fugger here

S&W M27 in 357.......44 mag in M29

Still loading away....not sure when I started buying from Larry
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Started reloading ~1967, been a Midway customer since 1992.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23

I started about age 12 too and started with a partner kit as well. I still have the partner press stored somewhere but my 502 scale was stolen when our house was robbed.

My dad wasn't into it either so I taught myself. I started loading shotshells on a lee load all at age 11. I now have a large room full of loading equipment. I have several presses, multiple scales, and 5 or 6 powder measures, timer and everything else. I got into loading to save money but I've spent tens of thousands on loading over the years. I just got back into casting as well.

Bb
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
I started around 18-19 with a Lee loader sitting on the concrete floor in the basement. How I never blew anything up while pounding on those things I'll never know.

I had a hundred 357 mags loaded a week before I bought the Security-Six the day I turned twenty one.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Unsure of the exact year. Around '82 or 83. Bought a rifle from a guy I worked next to for most of the '80s. It was a 6.5 Jap rechambered to 6.5x257, so I had to start reloading if I wanted to shoot it. Was just starting pistol shooting around then too so did 9mm, 38/357, & 45ACP. He kind of mentored me in the beginning & we started shooting every Sunday... for years... decades... Plinking, developing loads, Hi-power, 22 silhouette, indoor NRA 22 pistol in the basement of the police station Friday nights, got into benchrest a little after that car wreck when I couldn't do the hi-power positions comfortably anymore. All this was way pre-internet so met & talked with a lot of outstanding shooters & great people over the years; a few curmudgeons (not always a bad thing), & some bleeding idiots too.

The "arsenal" has been updated a few times over the years, but still have a few of the oldies. The loading equipment started out being whatever was around used & cheap, mostly RCBS & Lyman, with a little Redding thrown in. The 1st press was either an RCBS Partner or a Junior. The world got a whole lot easier when I discovered compound linkage & the pursuit of gadgetry was on growing to ridiculous amounts of "stuff" due to experimenting before being downsized to a more reasonable amount about 20 years ago.

The hobby also morphed into a part-time small, but steadily growing, mail order & local business for a few FFL cycles before the gub'mint started passing way too many regs & jacked the FFL fee too much during the Klintoon years.

Oh, I never bothered much with Midway. Still dont. There are better options.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
I started reloading around 30 years ago. I wanted to get started and always saved my brass. Then became friends with someone that reloaded and started reloading with him.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Off and on for about 43 years. Me and a buddy went together and bought a fellows entire reloading set up and a whole bunch of odds and ends. I'm still using them.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
I started reloading in 1973 with RCBS equipment that I bought from a co-worker, I now use Ponsness Warren and Hornady Loc-N-Load presses for my rifle and handgun loading. When I was loading a high volume of handgun ammo I built a motorized press from plans in an old American Rifleman magazine. Every head of big game that I've harvested has been taken with a handload. I've used loading manuals from most of the major manufacturers but rely on Ken Waters' Pet Loads for much of my loading info.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Back when Shotgun News was my internet.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
I learned from the BJ Bill episode to always stock primers and powder. Favorite bullets too, though I do cast for some handguns and a couple rifle cartridges.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
My dad was always interested in hunting, shooting, firearms, gun smithing and reloading as long as I remember. I started reloading with him about 1960. Don’t remember much about Midway but there was a company called Herters.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
1976-77. RCBS jr press, the guys running the shop I hung around let me copy load data out of their books until I could afford one. 30-30, 44mag, .308 and 30-06. A few years later I started in IPSC and bought a Lee 1000 in .45acp. Then about 1992 I got interested in High Power rifle. Bought 2 used Hornady Projectors, use one to prep rifle brass and the other to load. Tried other stuff, had a early Lee loadmaster, it went away quick. Tried a RCBS ammomaster, it worked but not well. I give most stuff that don't work for me to someone just starting out. Got several guys at work hooked over the years.

Now I have a RCBS RC (yard sale find), 1 Dillon Super 1050, 1 Hornady LnL, 1 Hornady Projector, and a Ponsness Warren Metallic II.

Thinking about another Dillon 1050 or 1100 and gifting the 2 Hornady's to my nephews.

I pretty much learned on my own. Some of the guys at the LGS back then helped me a bit. Believe it or not the public library was a great help until I could afford to buy books.

Jim, I love the pics of you and your boys loading!
Posted By: gunzo Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Shotshell in '73 on a Pacific DL105 machine. Metallic in '74 with an RCBS Jr., Ohaus 505 scales, & a Speer #9 manual. 1st was 22-250 & 45 Colt was next.

It's all grown into a monster but never regretted starting it.
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
I started with a Lee Loader in 243 after the ice age. It was recommended in the Last Whole Earth Catalog along with some other timely advice. I got into high power too with service rifle first. Blind Shooter, I think you might have shown me the game at Butner back in the day. Down to a Hornady Lock n Load powder measure for 223 and Rockchuker press but don't do much anymore.
Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
I don't remember how long, but back then shipping was free ..........
Posted By: Papag Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
With Midway, 1994. Reloading, 1955.
Posted By: Szumi Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Just logged in, 25 years on the banner for me. Likely my time as an internet customer. I bet I've been a customer longer than that but I don't have any records handy.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
I started with a Lee Loader in 243 after the ice age. It was recommended in the Last Whole Earth Catalog along with some other timely advice. I got into high power too with service rifle first. Blind Shooter, I think you might have shown me the game at Butner back in the day. Down to a Hornady Lock n Load powder measure for 223 and Rockchuker press but don't do much anymore.

Ha! Had a coworker using one a them whack a mole lee jobs, he was setting off a primer all along! He told me this at lunch one day, the next day I gifted him the RCBS jr I started with and dies for whatever he was loading.

I absolutely loved Camp Butner back in the day! Spent some great days there and on Camp Lejeune KD ranges.
Posted By: ipopum Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
I started reloading the year my oldest daughter started the 1st grade. She signed up for Medicare last year at 65 years old..

Bought most of the supplies at a local sporting goods store. They had 55 gallon drums of powder in the center isle.

Put your powder in a brown paper bag and go to someone to ring it up. Probably was war surplus 4831;
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23

I was 12, 63 years ago, and my dad and I were getting ready for a woodland caribou hunt in northern BC. I had just gotten a 7mm Wby for the hunt, and my dad was using his circa 1950 Mdl 70 30-06. His secretary's brother owned a small sporting goods store and specialized in the new trend toward reloading.

We used mil-surp 4831 from giant cardboard barrels at $0.90/pound and Sierra 180gr Sptz bullets for the '06, and Hornady 154gr 7mm for the Wby.

I got my RCBS Jr press (set up in my man-cave, my only press), a rudimentary Pacific scale that uses weights in the pan, and a Belding & Mull powder measure with two different drop tubes (Extremely Accurate!) like these in the photos. I trimmed with a deburring tool and gauged case length with the "horseshoe" gauge. I still have these three tools around somewhere but used photos found online for this post.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Me too. Great guys, so generous with all their knowledge. Went there a few years ago. Pete LaBerge and Norm Crawford still at it. Mostly F class junk though. Whack a mole for sure! I got my share of primer freckles.
Posted By: Bry Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
I started acquiring tools and components in October 2020, had been wanting to for years but just never got around to it. Actually started loading in January 2021. Was able to put together a decent (for me) inventory just before things got sideways, better late than never.
Posted By: Railman Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
In 1979 when I bought my first T/C Contender in 41 Magnum, which I still have. Started out with the Lee hand loader. Couple of years I up graded to a standard press and have been reloading ever since loaded many a round in scads of calibers.
Posted By: old70 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
Mailed in my first Midway order in 1987.

Old70
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23
1969, Lee Loader, 270.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/06/23

I bought a bunch of reloading stuff when I was in the Army in 1975. I didn't get to use it until 1976 when I got home. I have never had a mentor, I had to learn it on my own as well. I'm still learning.

kwg
Posted By: Craigster Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/07/23
I started 56 years ago with a Lee Loader in 32 Special . Still have the loader and the rifle and still use both.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/07/23
Might try these for plinking fun.

https://thebluebullets.com/product-category/38-357-358/

Or Matt's

https://www.mattsbullets.com/38-Smith-Wesson_c_10.html
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/07/23
I got started at 12 Jim, 48 years ago.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/07/23
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Me too. Great guys, so generous with all their knowledge. Went there a few years ago. Pete LaBerge and Norm Crawford still at it. Mostly F class junk though. Whack a mole for sure! I got my share of primer freckles.

I was match director and calling the line for a 600yd weekend match, Norm C was well on the way to cleaning the whole thing when it started raining. Most just wrapped up their stuff but a few were holding on, Norm wasn't about to quit. I was afraid for my life when the targets started falling out of the frames and I had to call it. I figured Crawford would kill me on the spot for taking a possible range record away but he took it pretty good and I'm still breathing!
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/07/23
Back in the 60's when I started hunting. Dad said if I'm going to shoot it, I need to know how to load for it. Guy that started Gander Mountain had a house/store in Wilmot, WI and we would go there for supplies. Still using the RCBS press and Baer case trimmer.
Started loading shotgun in 72, pistol in 75 & rifle about 81. Can't recall when I opened my Midway account, it was a while after that. A lot of guys here gripe about Larry but I haven't had issues. Shop around, compare prices, make sure to add in shipping; sometimes you'll buy from him, sometimes you'll buy from Graf's or someone else.
Posted By: Slope77 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/07/23
Probably been at it 25 years or so. Self-taught reading reloading manuals.
Posted By: 79S Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/07/23
4 years for me according to midway. Probably when I created the account with them. For years I just checked out as a visitor.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23
Originally Posted by 79S
4 years for me according to midway. Probably when I created the account with them. For years I just checked out as a visitor.

I mailed in my first orders!
Posted By: Garandimal Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23
Lee hand loader w/ scoops, .270Win and .357Mag.

Late '70's.

Analog.

Put a lot of food on the table as a kid.

MidwayUSA is internet computer age.

GR
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23

About 1970, I swapped a Ruger .45 LC for a Ruger w/scope in .41 Rem Mag.
Love the caliber...and still have a .41.

Went to a local gun shop. He didn't have any .41 ammo, but ordered me a box.
Remember, it was 1970! That 50 round box of .41 Mag ammo was $18! 🤯
So the gun shop owner told me about a "Lee Loader"!
Can't even imagine just how many hundreds of rounds I pounded out with that rig! LOL!
Few years later (1974), same guy got me started with a RCBS "Jr" press.
Several years later, another gun shop owner that couldn't keep his pants zipped up offered me his RCBS "Rock Chucker" press and setup for $100......and it only cost me $50 (1978)!
It's 2023 and I've still got the same setup and it works just fine! That's about 45 years!
Unfortunately, loading components are outta sight!
When I started loading, a flat of primers was .99 cents.
A box of Speer bullets contained "101 bullets" per box....and cost from $3 to $5 a box.
Powder was +/- $4/pound.
But then a box of .270 Win ammo was less than $5/box!
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23
Martin, I used Lee Loaders in .308 and .30 Carbine. Took a lot of pounding with the. 30 Carbine. I started using Dad's shop vise, with a couple pieces of hardwood over the jaws. Worked great.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23
With a Lee Loader for the .44 mag, about 1979 or 1980. Followed up with a couple of their Target models in 7x57 and .223. Balance beam of course. Pretty slow going!
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23

Growing up I dont recall factory ammo other than .22lr
The old man and an uncle bought a 5 gallon keg of IMR4064 so pretty much everything we loaded was with that. Pistol ammo was normally unique. I was reloading with supervision on Dad’s RCBS Jr at probably 6-7yo.
Other than .223, 9mm, .45ACp and 7.62x39 I bet I could count on 2 hands the boxes of factory centerfire ammo I’ve bought.
You guys had sporting goods stores around I guess.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23
I started when I got back from SEA in 72. During the years I was doing my tool and die apprenticeship it seemed like half the guys in the tool room were handloaders and gunsmiths on the side. Added shotshell loading in the ‘80’s when I got into the clay target games a lot.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23
Started about 35 years ago when I was about 15 helping Dad. Got away from it as I moved from home. Dad liked loading more than shooting and kept me well stocked. Dad passed just over a year ago, have to "re-learn" the whole process.
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
Started about 35 years ago when I was about 15 helping Dad. Got away from it as I moved from home. Dad liked loading more than shooting and kept me well stocked. Dad passed just over a year ago, have to "re-learn" the whole process.

I kinda get that way too.

Like shooting them so I can load them up.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23
1985 bought myself a Hornady reloading kit as a graduation present...
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23
I started reloading in 1977 in Germany. Started buying from Midway 1981. Larry had just started the business.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23
I’m self taught except for a crash course from my grandpa. Started at 13 years olds. Been at it 24 years.
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23

1978 when I got my Winchester 70 in 7mm Rem Mag.

I now load for 43 cartridges, all the way up to the .470 Nitro Express.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23
45 years ago. Damn your a young whipper snapper. 😉
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23
I started 57 years ago with a Lee Loader to hunt deer with my 8 mm Mauser next year bought a RCBS press and a MEC 12 ga. press to load shotgun shells to hunt with ....couple years later picked up a Poness-Waren 12 ga. loader and sold the MEC....
Been buying presses, dies for loading all my life....slowed down some with my age....
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts

I kinda get that way too.

Like shooting them so I can load them up.

My wife asked me once "do you shoot just to reload?".

This last Covid cold shortage sorta opened her eyes. I'm still loading with primers bought at .02 cost.

When I was going to the nationals every year I would bulk buy to save on on Haz and shipping costs. Did phone orders with Grafs, Midway, Bruno's, Champion's Choice and others before the internet.
Posted By: mjs3240 Re: Midway USA Customer - 06/08/23
After I graduated High School in 1963 I took out a loan from Household Finance Corp. to purchase a Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag. I also bought a Pacific press and dies to load for the 300. Later when I was in college I bought a RCBS Rockchucker press. Back then you could not buy powder or bullets mail order unless you had an FFL. I remember going thru the Herters catalog and wishing I lived closer to them so I could take advantage of their deals.
© 24hourcampfire