Home
I have trouble answering my own question. getting it done right, I guess.
One of the hardest parts for me was telling a son the truth about things and him rejecting it and me. It is a real rush to have someone you have put so much of your life into tell you F**k you Dad. You aren't my dad anymore.
The hardest part of being a dad was being an adult myself.
The hardest part of being a dad?

For me it is letting go and trying not to worry when my girl goes somewhere for a trip or visit...same when my wife goes with her.

Doesn't matter if I die in a car accident, but not them.
Having only boys,I feel I had it somewhat easier than others.
Seems like it's getting harder with everything going on today.
Hearing the derisive tone of rejection when trying to give advice. "Okay, Dad...if you say so."
Putting up with a bitch for 25 years, the egg donor.
It’s time for all the not-narcissists try to humble-brag about how great they were at being a father.

LOL
Originally Posted by papat
One of the hardest parts for me was telling a son the truth about things and him rejecting it and me. It is a real rush to have someone you have put so much of your life into tell you F**k you Dad. You aren't my dad anymore.

That’s why I keep my being their dad a secret.

It’s cheaper too.
Having only one child and one grand child makes me a little over anxious about their
well being and being a good citizen. I give and accept without going over the top.
Turns out they are doing very well.
My son usually listens very close, but that does not mean he is in total agreement
and I do the same. He server in the Army, has a masters in divinity and a PHD and teaches a masters
program and Hays State U. Plus he is a pretty good hunter and fisherman and Dad.
Something worked out well.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

If you’re a good dad, I’m a Chinese jet pilot.

LOL
Originally Posted by deflave

LOL

那麼,你現在是一名中國飛行員?
With the human children, worrying about their safety.

With the K9 children, their short lifespan.
Hardest part
Watching them make mistakes and they're the only ones that can correct/fix the mistake.

LOL
[Linked Image from smartcdn.gprod.postmedia.digital]
Hardest part for me was balancing time. Takes a lot of time to raise kids...takes a lot of time to chase a paycheck to give the family a decent life. I was always torn trying to set time priorities.
Originally Posted by Gibby
With the human children, worrying about their safety.

With the K9 children, their short lifespan.

Oh dear.

LOL
Letting go while wanting to keep at least some control?

Watching them struggle?

Coming to the realization that they think that they know more than you do 'cause they are more tech savvy?

All you can do is try to provide a solid foundation for them to build on and offer guidance, but they have to build their own lives the way they envision them. The old "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" thing.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Hardest part for me was balancing time.

I think it is harder to balance the kids themselves.

You grab one and take off running, tough to keep them from slipping out of your hands and smacking the ground which their mother does not approve of. I have 3 now so really tough and one of them is so small he doesn't really have any good places for grip.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

LOL

那麼,你現在是一名中國飛行員?

LOL
Admitting that your children are grown!
Watching them make the same mistakes I made knowing the consequences that were to follow.
My Dad, for the most part, let me learn by making mistakes.
By the way Travis, don't forget the parachute.
The most challenging part is knowing the balance between helping them out, and letting them learn lessons on their own.

The rest comes natural to me. My father was a good teacher.

I guess the closet leftist took me off ignore this morning.

LOL

LOL

Jaaaaaake…. Cum ficks my puter …. The meen guy iz back!
Originally Posted by hardway

LOL

Jaaaaaake…. Cum ficks my puter …. The meen guy iz back!

“After you finish doing all the work and telling me what a good dad I was!”

LOL
Watching my kids make mistakes that we thought we had taught them not to make.

They both turned out great though.
Originally Posted by EIB0879

"I told you so" is one of my quiet joys.

LOL

Ho Lee Fùk!!
Originally Posted by EIB0879

"I told you so" is one of my quiet joys.
That is golden. Pisses the kid off and sometimes you don't even have to say the words....the smirk says it all
Knowing you could have done better, on the most important job you will ever do.
For those of you that can not read Chinese, here is an exact translation:

那麼,你現在是一名中國飛行員?

So are you currently a Chinese Pilot?

The hardest part of being a dad, is having a child die young as I did, brutal.
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Fella...I cannot even comprehend that, and God forbid that I or any of mine ever do.
Going from being their hero when they were younger, to barely getting a bored hello from them as teenagers when I get home.

Sounds needy, I know, but damn, my life has been practically centered around them for 17 years. It's tough to accept the change.
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Going from being their hero when they were younger, to barely getting a bored hello from them as teenagers when I get home.

Sounds needy, I know, but damn, my life has been practically centered around them for 17 years. It's tough to accept the change.

They come back.
It’s time for all the not-narcissists try to humble-brag about how great they were at being a father.

LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by goalie

LOL

Had to steal that one
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Had to steal that one

😁

Breaking the news to the boys that these 2 are actually my favorite sons...blush

To be fair, they'd already figured it out. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by KillerBee
For those of you that can not read Chinese, here is an exact translation:

那麼,你現在是一名中國飛行員?

So are you currently a Chinese Pilot?

Damn that must be rough sorry to hear
It’s hard not to worry about them, hardest part for me
The mom.
Originally Posted by skeen

Breaking the news to the boys that these 2 are actually my favorite sons...blush

I hear you. Wife and both kids. The adopted one is great.

Doesn'ttalk back....too much.

Originally Posted by bruinruin

This mostly. I told my wife I haven't had a good idea with my boys in 20 years. I miss when they were 8-10 years old and could do no wrong. I will say my only son with his first son is looking at life differently.
Letting go, and stepping back and watching them take on life!
Originally Posted by Heym06
Letting go, and stepping back and watching them take on life!

Yep.
Hardest part of being a dad for me is not really having a "whole dad". My great dad was stricken with a sudden, massive stroke at age 41 on Christmas Day (I was 12). He was left permanently mentally and physically disabled for 26 years. My mom was an angel taking care of him. I grew up pretty quickly helping mom and mentoring my younger sister.

Now, as I have two great adopted sons of my own, I try to live each day to the fullest. Our sons have made their own mistakes and I'll worry about them until the day I die, but they've grown up to be good dads themselves.

Happy Dad's day to all!

For me it is letting go and trying not to worry when my girl goes somewhere for a trip or visit...same when my wife goes with her.

Doesn't matter if I die in a car accident, but not them.

That goes for my daughter and my son.

+100
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

LOL

We think it's fun to make jokes about Chinese names, but they do the same with us, and it's easy because of the tonal nature of Chinese.

My name transliterated, but with a change of tones, means Chicken Taking a Dump. Another guy's name was Dead Dog Fart. They just smile when they say our names. Inside joke to them.
Slowing down enough to enjoy it.
Teenagers
Originally Posted by PPosey
Teenagers
Yes this
How many stories of pit bulls attacking some one and the owners can't believe it. They are great family dogs yea right when they go off they are so dangerous and you don't even know why they do its a matter of time. They should be totally outlawed.
Originally Posted by ehunter
How many stories of pit bulls attacking some one and the owners can't believe it. They are great family dogs yea right when they go off they are so dangerous and you don't even know why they do its a matter of time. They should be totally outlawed.

Are you from Oregon?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Are you implying that outlawing them would make being a dad easier?
Wh9t
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Wh9t
🤣🤣🤣
Thanks for all the kind replies.
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

LOL

We think it's fun to make jokes about Chinese names, but they do the same with us, and it's easy because of the tonal nature of Chinese.

My name transliterated, but with a change of tones, means Chicken Taking a Dump. Another guy's name was Dead Dog Fart. They just smile when they say our names. Inside joke to them.

Bet they really raff out roud. Maybe hard enough that the boiled alive dog they’re eating comes out their nose.
Thanks for all the kind replies.

Fugk you.

Worse than that is your boys disappointment with a dad that thinks 2 dogs are better than his boys...
Being told what to do and how to do it by everyone else, when its none of their friggin business.

The hardest part is not Busting them in their mouth, knocking them on their asses, and put a gun to their head, telling them you're going to pull the trigger if they don't STFU, and get out of your face.

Walking away is the hardest part for me...

Like the Gay Community that wanted to destroy Boy Scouts. I knew people who were gay and had kids in scouting. No one hated the Gay Community for doing that, more than Gay Parents who had kids in the program. As they pointed out, the only ones who were doing so, where those that had no kids in the program, and really no kids at all.

Perfect example of how the liberal left operates in this nation....the ones that have no skin in the game, yet tell everyone else what to do, so they can rewrite society....

What this nation needs is a daily "knock a liberal on their ass day", your choice on what day. Put it in the Constitution, as the 28th Amendment.

Good God.
Originally Posted by Seafire
Being told what to do and how to do it by everyone else, when its none of their friggin business.

The hardest part is not Busting them in their mouth, knocking them on their asses, and put a gun to their head, telling them you're going to pull the trigger if they don't STFU, and get out of your face.

Like the Gay Community that wanted to destroy Boy Scouts. I knew people who were gay and had kids in scouting. No one hated the Gay Community for doing that, more than Gay Parents who had kids in the program. As they pointed out, the only ones who were doing so, where those that had no kids in the program, and really no kids at all.

Perfect example of how the liberal left operates in this nation....the ones that have no skin in the game, yet tell everyone else what to do, so they can rewrite society....

What this nation needs is a daily "knock a liberal on their ass day", your choice on what day. Put it in the Constitution, as the 28th Amendment.

Sweet Christ.
There is a certain amount of sarcasm in their Trav... but you're one of the smarter ones that can see that... smile
Saying “NO” and sticking to it! MTG

All I got out of that is you have liberal children.

Might be wrong...

Ymmv

Sounds like a healthy relationship.
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Maybe even get a couple dogs and send the kids a note on who inherits the trailer house…
Keepin' all dem babyMamas straight.

GR

LOL, give Shefire a break - its Father's Day and he's had a rough 70 years. Mostly his wife's (wives) fault.

...and the states he's resided in.

....and democrats

.....nothing to do with Shefire's sparkly self.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Worse than that is your boys disappointment with a dad that thinks 2 dogs are better than his boys...

Humor, rhetoric and hyperbole just a bridge too far for ya', eh?

LOL

I'm guessing most misread this post?
I took it as Seafire being an example by walking away from strangers, not his kids?

But, I may be wrong, I don't have a good track record with Oregonians.
Sarcasm is hard...

Yes, it broke the sound barrier going past you…

Yes, it broke the sound barrier going past you…

Fair 'nuff.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Our FUR BABIES think I'm the greatest dog dad evah....
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Off to ignore for you mister
Hardest part IMO is to really learn to put the kids’ wellbeing and happiness above your own. The true acceptance that it’s really not “all about you” comes hard sometimes. At least if did for me. I think I’ve been a pretty good dad, but I could have been better, especially early on. We did quite a bit of stuff together, but a few more trips camping and doing family stuff would have been time well spent.

Edited to add: I should have said “most challenging” part when describing the above. “Hardest” would have to be to watch helplessly while a child endures illness. Or maybe losing a custody battle after a breakup. Those would be hard.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Off to ignore for you mister

Okay, I may have been trolling with stinkbait with that post...lol
Sam, sometimes a childless aunt, or uncle will sort of "adopt", and niece, nephew.
Any like that for you?

Humor, Rhetoric, and Hyperbole, aren't those the names of the Washiington brothers?

You know, LaTanya's boys. She's the English teacher ar the high school.
Well, it ain't grill'n

My daughter will be 28 years old this November, but I swear it was only a couple of years ago I was carrying her around on my shoulder........
Sam, sometimes a childless aunt, or uncle will sort of "adopt", and niece, nephew.
Any like that for you?

Shut.

The fugk.

Up.
Like someone else said, worrying about their safety.

Also having to break it to them that their mom was dead.
Held my great grandaughter for the second time today. Hardest part is sleeping with great grandma😁
She snores?
The hardest part for me (single parent) was telling my sons (ages 16, 12, 10) their mother had been killed in a car wreck. Still can see them on the couch crying their eyes out.
Is feeling that I have failed .
Originally Posted by Jcubed

All I got out of that is you have liberal children.

Might be wrong...

Ymmv

Uhhhh you'd be wrong...and they've learned to be that way, by being allowed to make their own decisions in life.
Show them the right way and to use their own mind, its amazing the results that can yield.
My Dad told me this was my song.[video:youtube]
If you’re a good dad, I’m a Chinese jet pilot. LOL

- You must do a lot of Pecking Duck hunting.
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson

I'm guessing most misread this post?
I took it as Seafire being an example by walking away from strangers, not his kids?

But, I may be wrong, I don't have a good track record with Oregonians.

Well your reading comprehension is better than the others...so you're correct there....

but I'm not an Oregonian, I just live here...

My thoughts and mannerism, I'm from Virginia...the state where we use to fly the Confederate Flag in front of our schools thru out the state, and played Dixie as soon as the National Anthem ended, while everyone on both sides of the bleachers
stood up and cheered! I'm from that generation.
Wishing you a happy sober Father's Day Hillschidt... and your male partner also...

You mothers have a great day....

you writing a Biography of Me? Seems like you're keeping score on posts.

I've been putting one together about your life also...

its about a leftist retard college professor from Madison, who weight is 500 pounds of lard who lives in Sweat Pants and a Sweat Shirt, he washes once a month... and peruses the internet from his home in Mom's basement, looking for naïve Junior High School male nerds to "play with".

it tentative title is "Wisconsin's Biggest DipSchidt." Kinda catchy ain't it...

Was going to send the royalties to you and your BoyFriend.

My Father's Day Gift to you.... You're welcome.
She snores?

She snores on the sea shores.

(Say that 10 times real fast.)
You really wanna know the hardest part of being a Dad is?
It never ends! If you’ve done your job, that kid, male or female, is gonna call you Dad until the end of their life. Not yours, theirs .
Any male can fertilize an egg. But I can tell you, because I’ve tried my best at it, It takes some effort to be Dad.
I think I’ve done pretty good. I’ll always be Dad to Ben. I’m proud of that.
What I’m gunning for, is to be Pap, or better yet, The Old Man.
In my family, it was an earned title. Every one, Ben, my brothers, my nieces and nephews, and my grand nieces and nephews know who The Old Man was!
I pray to God that I can earn that title!
7mm
Wishing you a happy sober Father's Day Hillschidt... and your male partner also...

You mothers have a great day....

you writing a Biography of Me? Seems like you're keeping score on posts.

I've been putting one together about your life also...

its about a leftist retard college professor from Madison, who weight is 500 pounds of lard who lives in Sweat Pants and a Sweat Shirt, he washes once a month... and peruses the internet from his home in Mom's basement, looking for naïve Junior High School male nerds to "play with".

it tentative title is "Wisconsin's Biggest DipSchidt." Kinda catchy ain't it...

Was going to send the royalties to you and your BoyFriend.

My Father's Day Gift to you.... You're welcome.

OOOOF, right in the feels.
My Dad told me this was my song.[video:youtube]

And you chose the "dunce" cap.
Thanks for all the kind words.
Thanks for all the kind words.

Eat schit and choke you leftist fugk.
Time for another unplanned vacation. Don't forget your straight-jacket.
It’s hard to walk your girls down the isle, give them away
Originally Posted by Deans
The hardest part for me (single parent) was telling my sons (ages 16, 12, 10) their mother had been killed in a car wreck. Still can see them on the couch crying their eyes out.

That has got to be a terrible thing.
If you have daughters, you will soon have sons in law.
Merle Haggard, "The Farmer's Daughter."

I can’t even fathom how terrible that was for you all!

It sure puts things into perspective.
Any like that for you?

Shut.

The fugk.

Up.

Pour it on, Wabi!
Nothing says we all have to just alike.

Fugk you, you leftist POS.
Watching them make mistakes and paying for it when payment comes do. Knowing they have to figure things out on their own for the most part while at the same time k owing it does t have to be so damn hard. Watching them get ready to leave and knowing there will be an empty room in the house soon.
All of it is worth it, I don't know what else I could do that has as much meaning as being their dad, even as crappy as I'm muddling my way through it.
Them not being able to see how great they are or their actual potential.
Didn't know how important my faith was till some of the hard stuff with my kids, would have been easy to give up without it.

MM
Richard, nothing says we all have to be alike. As far as being a dad were you there?
Originally Posted by blanket
Richard, nothing says we all have to be alike. As far as being a dad were you there?
Is he your father?
No
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Is he your father?
You post a Bible quote with no intention
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Is he your father?
You post a Bible quote with no intention
Don’t dodge the question
Lay down with dogs as your mother did
If you have daughters, you will soon have sons in law.
Merle Haggard, "The Farmer's Daughter."

Lucky to have two good ones, both married over 20 years
Trying to compensate for a psychotic mother.

Man that's tough. My condolences to you and your boys.

Of course my wife and I were the meanest parents of all time. Rules and repercussions weren't popular but we stuck to them.

Makes me smile now watching my kids raise their kids just as "tough" as they once cried and complained about.
Convincing the boy, I was only joking when I told him.
"If a bear comes out of the bushes, I only have to outrun you."
My comments must be fuggin shadow banned or something.
Dropping of my oldest at college this past August sure wasn’t any fun.

I miss children’s time at church, art projects coming home from school, school/church plays, coaching their ball teams, trick or treating, hiding Easter eggs, playing hide & seek, catching crawdads in the creek, the excitement of Christmas Eve, playing silly games with my daughter, and watching my boy dress up as a Patriot to kill Red Coats in the woods behind the house. They are mostly grown now, and it is killing me. The fun activities have changed, which is ok. I just wish their childhood would have lasted longer. I would start it all over again tomorrow if I could.
When mom and pop both have the flu, and the kids are healthy and need to be exercised.
Originally Posted by hanco
It’s hard to walk your girls down the isle, give them away
Not so bad if you think of it as the guy taking over payments.
I've thought, Merle Haggard could have done a follow up to, The Farmer's daughter. Baptizing his grandchild.
© 24hourcampfire