Home
Posted By: Dutch I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
Movies were a bit better, back then....

Posted By: SCGunNut Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
Don't you know he was a racist? I'd love to hear his response to woke....
Posted By: Dutch Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

The Bee could probably do something with that thought, lol!
Posted By: duke61 Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
I miss him too, he said what though regardless of politics or correctness.
Posted By: Knarley_Bob Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

Fill yer hands you sons of bitches!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
"The next person who says that I'm gonna shoot, so help me."
Posted By: Morewood Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
When men were men. This woke schidt today has to go.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
Not Hardly
Posted By: Lslite Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
Not enough John Wayne and way too much Ru Paul these days.
Posted By: reivertom Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
Back when Hollywood didn't hate America and the stars were mostly patriots, and the ones that weren't, the movie companies forced them to act like it..
Posted By: wabigoon Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
Not even any TV Westerns.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
Those were better days, but no, I don't miss his one toned acting or the stamped out characters he played.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Those were better days, but no, I don't miss his one toned acting or the stamped out characters he played.

Are you saying you didn't like John Wayne as "Singin' Sandy?" Can't get better than that! grin

L.W.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Are you saying you didn't like John Wayne as "Singin' Sandy?" Can't get better than that! grin

L.W.

I have always been a huge Wayne fan, and consider him one of Hollywood's best. The Searchers is probably my favorite movie, and I believe his role in it was very underrated. But, there were better actors, and he was somewhat plagued with the same type of character in almost every movie he made.
I watched Liberty Vallance last night. Lee Marvin, James Stewart, and the Duke.
[Linked Image from content.internetvideoarchive.com]
Posted By: jdunham Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
You could do much, much worse than a John Wayne movie. Most of Hollywood today are pole smokers and their movies are based on a storyline glorifying it. Yea, I miss him.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
His politics, his belief in America is what I miss even more than the movies!
John Wayne And Johnny Cash. Both of them loved this country, and the ideals she was founded on.
I grew up believing I hit the birth jackpot, just by being born here! I still believe it!
Sometimes I feel like I’m one of the last Americans left. It sucks being a dinosaur.
I wish to God there were more of me left.
7mm
Posted By: saddlering Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/25/23
We are a dieing Breed!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/26/23
The Duke’s political views were spot on
Posted By: Dutch Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/26/23

Lol, the Duke played John Wayne. And still pulled it off. Like Sean Connery playing a Russian captain with a Scottish brogue. And pulled it off……

There’s not enough men left, I’ll put up with some acting deficiencies to see a real man, and a real woman, on a movie screen again.

Hey, look, Tom Cruise has another mission impossible movie out! He can ACT! (Gag).
Posted By: BFaucett Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/26/23
'
I miss Elsa Martinelli. grin

"Baby Elephant Walk" by Henry Mancini
from the movie Hatari! - Howard Hawks 1962

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Elsa Martinelli walking a cheetah on the Paramount lot during production of Hatari! (1962).

Posted By: PJGunner Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/26/23
"Hey, look, Tom Cruise has another mission impossible movie out! He can ACT! (Gag)."

While I tend to agree with the (GAG!) he did do a movie titled, "COLLATERAL} that really wasn't half bad.

He played a serious hit man with a shopping list of people to whack.
Paul B.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/26/23
Don't get me wrong, grew up with the Duke on TV every weekend. Still will watch if I run across one thats on. Guy played the same role in just about every movie he made.

Off screen - talked a big game. What branch did he serve in during WWII?...
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Don't get me wrong, grew up with the Duke on TV every weekend. Still will watch if I run across one thats on. Guy played the same role in just about every movie he made.

NONE.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/26/23
Now you can enjoy the essence of The Duke just about any time.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: super T Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/26/23
A quick internet search shows John Wayne was 34 years old at the time of Pearl Harbor and thus was not eligible for the draft. he requested a reclassification and got it changed to 1A. However, his employer, Republic Pictures, threatened to sue him if he tried to get out of his contract. He made repeated attempts to join anyway. So, it's not like he tried to avoid serving.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/26/23
Born in Iowa.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/26/23
Originally Posted by super T
A quick internet search shows John Wayne was 34 years old at the time of Pearl Harbor and thus was not eligible for the draft. he requested a reclassification and got it changed to 1A. However, his employer, Republic Pictures, threatened to sue him if he tried to get out of his contract. He made repeated attempts to join anyway. So, it's not like he tried to avoid serving.

Wayne did WAY MORE as an actor in helping our armed forces than he would have done by wearing a uniform. But leave it to the fire and the usual suspects to f uck up a free lunch. And as far as his one trick pony acting, that too is bullshit. His performance in the Searchers was superb and in stark contrast to his part in say, The Quiet Man.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

NONE.

Please regale us with your military service (HINT: unless you're like Audy Murphy, Dale Robertson etc. don't bother). That said, Wayne did WAY MORE as an actor in helping our armed forces than he would have done by wearing a uniform. But leave it to the fire ankle biterss to f uck up a free lunch. And as far as his one trick pony acting, that too is bullshit. His performance in the Searchers was superb and in stark contrast to his part in say, The Quiet Man.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: I miss John Wayne.... - 06/26/23
He did not need to "play", any other character.He was what he was.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by super T

Wayne did WAY MORE as an actor in helping our armed forces than he would have done by wearing a uniform. But leave it to the fire and the usual suspects to f uck up a free lunch. And as far as his one trick pony acting, that too is bullshit. His performance in the Searchers was superb and in stark contrast to his part in say, The Quiet Man.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

NONE.

Please regale us with your military service (HINT: unless you're like Audy Murphy, Dale Robertson etc. don't bother). That said, Wayne did WAY MORE as an actor in helping our armed forces than he would have done by wearing a uniform. But leave it to the fire ankle biterss to f uck up a free lunch. And as far as his one trick pony acting, that too is bullshit. His performance in the Searchers was superb and in stark contrast to his part in say, The Quiet Man.

You sure get touchy about the Nobles Horhay. First the Queen. Now the Duke.

I'm sorry I cast aspersions upon your hero.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
He did not need to "play", any other character.He was what he was.

And that folks, is what ACTING is all about. No need to play a character, lol.
© 24hourcampfire