Home
Posted By: TimberRunner USAA insurance - 06/28/23
I've been with USAA for 29 years. Have always been impressed with their claims dept on home and auto. Very efficient. Easy to work with.

My middle daughter had a fender bender. It was her fault. The collision shop, one of their preferred shops, uploaded the estimate 9 days ago. Usaa hasn't done anything with the estimate and tells me they don't know when they will get to it.

The shop tells me they are now one of their worst insurance companies to deal with.

When this claim is over, I'm moving on. Witnessing the slide from greatness.

Curious if anyone else has noticed? Also, any recommendations for auto, home, etc?
Posted By: badger Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
USAA and Snake Farm have gone down the tubes with regard to their service and their tenacious efforts to not repair cars properly. 2 of the major body shops in our area will no longer deal with them.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
I am getting conflicting reports , too, and I just went with them a year ago!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
Been with them for 55 years. At my last body work, the repair shop said USAA was the best and easiest to deal with. That was about three years ago. My claim was handled immediately and without a quibble.
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
I've never had a bad experience with USAA.
Posted By: AdventureBound Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
With State Farm, I think it is all about the agent you have. My previous agent went to bat for successfully fighting home office when I needed them a couple of times. Tthat agent retired and some new guy took over the agency; the new young “buck” doesn’t give service worth a [bleep] and he fired all of the good agency staff.

My elderly mother has USAA. I deal with them now that I manage her affairs. Not impressed. They are definitely more expensive than State Farm.

Many years ago, I switched from State Farm to an independent agent representing a smaller insurance company. I had a significant claim that year, a home burglary; I felt like I got robbed a second time dealing with the insurance company (Miller’s Mutual in Ft Worth); the agent was absolutely worthless - he did nothing to fight my cause.
Posted By: sactoller Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
I have had USAA for 35 years, never an issue with auto claims, but I have only had three. I also, have them for home owners and my last claim, was started in March. Got my estimate for work needed, (hail damage), got my insurance estimate and the first check. I had to jump through some hoops, had to have endorsed by my mortgage company....ok. Got through that hurdle and had the work completed. Contractor sent the completion paperwork and they issued me a final check for payment. Again, it was written as if I need the mortgage company to endorse, so I went through the hoop again. The mortgage company wants the check to be deposited into their escrow account, until the work is completed....

To shorten this story, I finally, got someone at USAA and explained what was going on...She said she would re issue the check.

So there is frustration which comes with any insurance company, but at least they are willing to work things out, when stupid issues arise.
Posted By: BwanaCat Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
I have never had a bad claims experience with USAA Insurance Co. Two auto (one was my fault due to faulty/frozen garage door) and two home claims (severe hail damage). Their claims people all did a great job for us.

However, USAA is not 100% perfect. I did tell them to dump Progressive Insurance (total rip-off) as their RV and boat insurance carrier. State Farm was 65% cheaper than Progressive for much better coverage. Also, the best thing that USAA ever did was sell their financial investments division to Charles Schwab.
Posted By: Hastings Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
Originally Posted by BwanaCat
I have never had a bad claims experience with USAA Insurance Co. Two auto (one was my fault due to faulty/frozen garage door) and two home claims (severe hail damage). Their claims people all did a great job for us.

However, USAA is not 100% perfect. I did tell them to dump Progressive Insurance (total rip-off) as their RV and boat insurance carrier. State Farm was 65% cheaper than Progressive for much better coverage. Also, the best thing that USAA ever did was sell their financial investments division to Charles Schwab.
I had my IRA at USAA and was shifted over to Schwab. This and some things I've heard about claims makes me wonder if there is financial trouble. Anybody know? I've been insured by them since I was a kid.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
USAA has gone woke and downhill fast ! I haven’t had a claim in many years so it hasn’t been a problem for me yet. My friend just had a bunch of hail damage and USAA has been really bad. Tried to lowball him on his totaled cars and damaged boat. He did his homework and held onto the cars until they paid fair value.
From my limited experience there seems to be a rather varying difference in customer service from state to state and not just with insurance companies .
Posted By: navlav8r Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
Two years ago a guy backed into my car in the parking lot at the base. I called them up and the shop they recommended was new and I said I’d like to take it to xxxxxxx that I had used before and they ok’d it. No problems.

Years ago my daughter was at a stop sign at the entrance to her apartment 90 miles away and a guy was gawking at her and cut his turn into the lot a little short and hit her in the left front. I called them and she took it to the recommended shop and worked out with np problems.

I’ve been with them since ‘72 and never had a problem with them.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
I've been with USAA for insurance since sometime in the 80s, have made maybe half dozen auto claims, most recently last year. No issues, fast service, no arguments over body shops or reimbursments. They don't designate preferred shops in my area.

Had a case a few yrs ago where another driver hit a car I owned that one of my cousins was driving. Other driver didn't want to make a claim and tried to get out of it. USAA paid my repairs up front, then went after her insurance company, recovered payment from them, and then reimbursed my deductable. No complaints - good communications from USAA and any delays were the other drivers company - they finally paid up when USAA threatened them with going to arbitration.
Posted By: MTGunner Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
I am the executor for my aunts estate. She had investments with USAA and it took me some time to get them to at least talk to me. This was after I sent death certificates, copy of the will, attorney letter that named me as executor and more. They required that I give them my SS # also. To this I said emphatically NO! Then the run around started once again. Had to have my aunts attorney contact USAA for the information I required. FINALLY got all resolved after nearly a year of correspondence and wrangling. USAA then began to call to sell me insurance. To this I told USAA “PISS OFF”! I will not do business with them. Yes, I am a veteran. I could do business with them. I WILL NOT! MTG
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
One other thing: I've been with them long enough that I get almost $500 a year back from them in loyalty rewards. That's for auto and home.
USAA got hit with a multi-million dollar claim resulting from damage to a home owned by Paul and Sylvia Minor on the Mississippi gulf coast. Seems USAA did not want to admit the wind did the damage before the water got to it. This was Hurricane Katrina but the case has been working its way through the courts for years. Mr. Minor is himself an attorney and held USAAs feet to the fire. There were 90 windows in the house that blew out ahead of the flood from the storm surge.

No telling how many claims USAA has had to pay between the hurricanes and the California fires.
Posted By: ingwe Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
I just tried to get a quote from them on their website , after filling in 3 pages of info, I hit " continue"...nothing.

Nothing at all, site wasn't working.
I worked Katrina, out of Gulfport, MS. I am sure more than one insurance company took it in the shorts on that one!
Posted By: skeen Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
Over 30 years with USAA; cars, house, boat, Harleys, never a problem.

Last summer I smacked a deer with my F150. Over $10k worth of damage. Dropped it off at my local Ford dealer, the dealer and USAA worked everything out.

Take all the griping, complaining, and bitchin' with a grain of salt.

Like an old 1st Sergeant I knew would say, "If the troops ain't bitchin, they ain't happy." smile
Originally Posted by troublesome82
I worked Katrina, out of Gulfport, MS. I am sure more than one insurance company took it in the shorts on that one!
Yes but. In the case of Paul and Sylvia Minor's house on the gulf coast USAA had inspected the house twice in the years before Katrina. They knew it had 90 windows and lots of valuable stuff. If they would have admitted the wind got the place and blew out all the windows ahead of the flood they could have gotten by without paying all the punitive damages. Even though USAAs own investigator (Teri Bergstrom) found the damage to be wind caused ahead of the storm surge USSA did not want to pay full coverage and got their asses sued successfully so far.

Sometimes it's better to cut your losses.
Posted By: armchair Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
Been with them since 1964. Never a problem BUT
They are not the company they were back then.
Once they expanded the market beyond commissioned officers, they went downhill.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23

Don't get me started on the scams insurance companies were trying to pull during Katrina. State Farm was the ringleader, Allstate jumped in quickly afterwards and it looks like USAA tried to get in on it. What they were doing was trying to claim that the homes were damaged by a "flood" instead of the hurricane and since they excluded floods from their policies they didn't have to pay. They were going to stiff most of the people on the gulf coast who had their homes destroyed and leave them with nothing. What they didn't take into account is that there are many areas that were destroyed that had majority black populations and there are a bunch of Johnnie Cochran types salivating to sue insurance companies there. Mississippi's judicial system has a reputation for jackpot justice and these cases would be guaranteed to be heard in front of an all black jury. An insurance company being sued (rightfully) for defrauding a black customer by a Johnnie Cochran type lawyer in front of an all black jury will result in them just adding zero's to the end of the award until they're tired of writing.

It would have cost them WAY more than they would have saved from trying to scam people in the end. They backed down, but it wasn't for lack of trying.
Posted By: Garandimal Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
When they started sponsorin' football games... started to wonder.

Been w/em for ever... and the rate for all my vehicles and kids is dirt cheap.

GR
Posted By: MrWilson Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
Originally Posted by armchair

exactly right
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
I had a truck claim with them 6 years ago or so. Guy side swiped my truck in parking lot. $14K in damages. The claim was efficient and seamless.

This current claim has been a disaster. USAA claims the new computer isn't allowing them to see estimate.

It's been 2.5 weeks, the Collison center wants to start but can't because usaa is so slow.

I've already called an agent to go find me something better. When this is over, in dropping em.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
Originally Posted by armchair

Yeah I believe that. I still have gotten good service from them but I think they treat Officers differently also.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
About 40 years with USAA. Home and auto. Never had a problem, always easy to work with. Got a new roof out of them from hail damage about 10 years ago. Last claim was for vehicle damage in a parking lot - other driver's fault - no problem getting it fixed. The best shop in town made no complaints to me about them.
Posted By: Dinny Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
I am not pleased with the way they're managing my current claim. After many attempts to contact a live claims agent I decided to call the supervisor number they offered on their automated system. They still haven't called me either. Tomorrow will be a week since I left them a voicemail.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Been with them for 55 years. At my last body work, the repair shop said USAA was the best and easiest to deal with. That was about three years ago. My claim was handled immediately and without a quibble.

Rocky, I hope you never have to find out their loyalty does not equal yours.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
We have had USAA for 48 years, they have always been outstanding.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: USAA insurance - 06/28/23
They have lost a 29 year customer this week. Trainwreck doesn't begin to describe it.
Posted By: Hastings Re: USAA insurance - 06/29/23
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
They have lost a 29 year customer this week. Trainwreck doesn't begin to describe it.
Big successful companies and their bean counters can sure screw things up. Think about Ford tractors and Remington rifles. At one time I would have counted Ford tractors right up there with John Deere and Kubota. Then they became New Holland.

I am still with USAA but my hand is on the ejection lever.
Posted By: Dinny Re: USAA insurance - 06/29/23
Originally Posted by Hastings
I am still with USAA but my hand is on the ejection lever.

Same here. I'll be your wingman.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: USAA insurance - 06/29/23
Other than the insurance getting expensive, I’ve always had good experience with them.

I will NEVER give up my USAA credit cards. They don’t really have due dates for payment and minimum payments unless you get to a certain percentage of your limit. As such they don’t have all those ridiculous late fees and everything else. I just usually go online once a month or so and pay. But if I don’t remember it, I don’t sweat it. There won’t be any late charges, just maybe some extra interest. As opposed to some other cards, particularly store cards its a night and day difference. I just about quit shopping at Academy because the bank they used charged me a late fee because they got the payment at 2:07 p.m. eastern time instead of the 2:00 p.m. deadline and they would not remove it.
Posted By: blairvt Re: USAA insurance - 06/29/23
Was with them for 20 years until I started checking around for home/car insurance rates. Others blew USAA away. Then they moved a ROTH IRA I had with them to another company without even telling me. That's was it for me. Dropped them. They seemed to start going down hill when they started advertising so much. Why do they need to advertise so much? Everyone in the military knows about them.
Posted By: deltakid Re: USAA insurance - 06/29/23
Plus, getting into everything beyond being an insurance company; adding the banking, investment services, purchasing, and everything else just stretched them beyond their ability to handle their service.
Posted By: Hudge Re: USAA insurance - 06/29/23
USAA just had their first down year financially in 100 years. I did have to argue with them on a property claim last year for wind damage to our privacy fence, if they ended up paying out 15 minutes after they claimed they denied it. I have a good friend that is a claims adjuster and started at USAA, he now works for another company, but keeps his I insurance through USAA, as he said no one compares in price to it. My rates did go up on auto last month, but what hasn’t increased in price. Hell, a new version of my truck 3 years later is over $15K more than what I paid for it new
Posted By: Dinny Re: USAA insurance - 06/29/23
Originally Posted by Hudge
USAA just had their first down year financially in 100 years.

I applaud them for the effort, but why would they donate $10M to fight veteran suicide if they had their first down year in 100 years?

Seems they could use some of that money to better their systems, hire more employees, and provide better service to their customers.
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: USAA insurance - 06/30/23
I am getting conflicting reports , too, and I just went with them a year ago!

Same
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: USAA insurance - 06/30/23
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
I've never had a bad experience with USAA.

Same
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: USAA insurance - 06/30/23
I had a couple of issues with them and figured a way to solve it. I went to a zero dollar deductible and rental car coverage. We both pay through the nose now but I come out ahead.

Oh, and when they thought they taught me a lesson for not going through their preferred repair shop, I taught them one back. Since the truck was financed by them I told them to deal with it or I’d do a voluntary repo.

I know how to be a fiscally responsible person and I know how to live like the other 3/4 of the population, I don’t give a fugg !
Posted By: sandcritter Re: USAA insurance - 06/30/23
For what it’s worth….
WAS in past contacts with usaa left pleased in not also impressed. Since 2006.

Had a water pipe freeze, break in the -38F snap over last Christmas and was away that week. First floor essentially destroyed. They have lied, dragged feet, low-balled, been utterly worthless to me. Water damage guy is flummoxed that usaa sucks so bad. It’s June - i’m still piecing estimates together to show ussa they are FOS. Granted, am working away from home so it does take some doing.

Anyway… the usaa am dealing with today, is nothing like the usaa i once knew in terms of customer service. Never had to use the insurance specifically before, to be fair.
Posted By: Muddinmetal Re: USAA insurance - 06/30/23
Automobile claims wise, USAA & Allstate are the absolute worse.

Alfa and County Financial are the best.
Posted By: Lorin Re: USAA insurance - 07/07/23
My usaa home insurance just renewed and went up by 30%. when I called, they said it was due to inflation? 30 percent!
Posted By: badger Re: USAA insurance - 07/07/23
Amica, Chubb and Pure are top of the line, according to the body shops in my area. Not sure about their rates, but the body shops love dealing with them. They don't haggle and try to force cheap Chinese parts.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: USAA insurance - 07/07/23
Over the last 20 years or so we've had multiple collision and hail claims with USAA and have all been great experience. The last being May 2023. Immediate response and quick money. My wife's Genesis was in the shop for more than two months waiting on parts. USAA paid for her to drive a Tahoe during that time. No limit on how long she needed it. Easy peasy, as always.

Replaced the roof a few years ago and the homeowners paid what it said it would. Another easy experience.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: USAA insurance - 07/07/23
This car claim has been a disaster. Luckily the collision center has outstripped USAA's heel dragging and frank incompetence and has started ordering parts and begun work. Its been a month since accident.
© 24hourcampfire