Home
Posted By: hanco Changing trailer boards - 07/01/23
I hate doing this, but afraid tractor will fall through. The non treated boards lasted 20 years. If I put treated, keep them soaked with oil, they should take me out. I closed it in with 1/4” plate when I first bought it. I cleaned up and hauled trash from newly built house for 400.00 a pop for Jim Walter homes for about 6 yrs. If I could get two in one day, wasn’t bad money. I’m gonna take spares off top, make place to mount them on side.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]free picture hosting
Replaced the boards on my 16’ several years back.

The heavy duty torx metal screws are the ticket…

Soak it good with diesel once a year…
Posted By: hanco Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Exactly what I’m gonna use, did my 16’ a couple of years ago too
The self tapping screws?
Posted By: smarquez Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/01/23
Put up a thread showing you progress as you go by steps. There's always something to learn watching others projects.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
The self tapping screws?

Yes, have carriage bolts, but screws are way faster, don’t have to get under it.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/01/23
I'm waiting on wood to be milled for two of my trailers. Holes in back where I left the chains laying on the deck as I drove the machinery off the trailer. Whoops. Now that it's 100 degrees I'm really looking forward to working on them both in the hot sun.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/01/23
I changed them out on my 16’ utility trailer several years ago. Used pressure treated boards. All you did on it was cut the boards to length, take out the metal lip on the front, lay the boards in place, and reweld the lip in place.
Keep it under a roof and it’ll last in perpetuity.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/01/23
Ever oil one side of the boards prior to flip them over and installing and oiling again?
Originally Posted by ironbender
Ever oil one side of the boards prior to flip them over and installing and oiling again?

That’s what I’m gonna do, should outlast me for sure.
Got the old 2x8’s out, so rotten, came out easy

Posted By: earlybrd Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/01/23
$400 trailer go all out with trex
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'm waiting on wood to be milled for two of my trailers. Holes in back where I left the chains laying on the deck as I drove the machinery off the trailer. Whoops. Now that it's 100 degrees I'm really looking forward to working on them both in the hot sun.

98 right now
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Exactly what I’m gonna use, did my 16’ a couple of years ago too

I soak mine in diesel, and hydraulic oil mix. Slather it on with a mop.

I still need to replace wood on one that's about 10 years old.
Treated 2x8’sx 20’ are 26.00 at McCoys in Tomball, need 11 of them. Plus Tax
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/01/23
I have a 2x6 floor on my utility trailer. They're 16 years old now and in excellent shape. I originally painted them on all sides with a top quality deck paint. The paint's long gone from the top surface but the wood is still in very good shape. It could easily go another 16 years. I might repaint it to add some years.
Posted By: deflave Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/01/23
When I get old I'm gonna do this crazy thing called not own a tractor.

Or trailer.

Wish me luck.
Posted By: acy Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by deflave

Or trailer.

Wish me luck.

Good luck! No tractor and no trailer. That'll be a pretty bold move.🤣
Posted By: hanco Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/02/23

Or trailer.

Wish me luck.

Not too far from being too old to use all the crap I have.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/02/23
Well when I get old I want to get a real tractor. Something diesel and over 40HP. Tired of half vast substitutes.

Although the grands sure like getting towed around in the John Deere painted trailer on the back of the JD lawn mower. LOL
I replaced mine during covid on my 12'

Because of the retards, couldn't find 2x8, so had to use 2x10, which I could get then.

Soak it with used oil once a year.
Posted By: hanco Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/02/23
Gonna have to use needle scaler to get some of the rust off the 4x6 frame angle iron before I wire wheel and paint, then boards go on. Wire wheeling is a nasty job.
Posted By: hanco Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/14/23
Got the inside painted, used wire wheel and needle scaler to get old paint and rust off. I’ll go get boards Monday. Glad that part is done

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]screen shot windows 7
Posted By: JeffA Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/14/23
You do nice work, it tells a lot about a man.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/14/23
When I built my last 5 x 8 utility trailer my brother was a head of sales at a large lumber supply around here and he got me some 1 1/8" plywood subfloor to put on the deck. Man, that stuff was heavy but it is incredibly strong and has held up amazingly well for many years. I just soaked both sides with a sealing oil and let it go. Looks like you have a lot bigger job than my small trailer but the work looks good.

For my spare tire I found a mount at Harbor Freight that I mounted on the side of the trailer to get it out of the bed of the trailer. Works great and is easy to access if I never need it- knock on wood I never will...
Originally Posted by JeffA
You do nice work, it tells a lot about a man.

Thank you, should have taken the spares off before I took the boards out.🤓
Originally Posted by Sheister
When I built my last 5 x 8 utility trailer my brother was a head of sales at a large lumber supply around here and he got me some 1 1/8" plywood subfloor to put on the deck. Man, that stuff was heavy but it is incredibly strong and has held up amazingly well for many years. I just soaked both sides with a sealing oil and let it go. Looks like you have a lot bigger job than my small trailer but the work looks good.

For my spare tire I found a mount at Harbor Freight that I mounted on the side of the trailer to get it out of the bed of the trailer. Works great and is easy to access if I never need it- knock on wood I never will...

I’ll make a mount like this for the spares

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]share images
Posted By: hanco Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/25/23
I’m getting there, making a career out of this it seems. Went with carriage bolts

Posted By: CashisKing Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/25/23
Looks good... I am doing a couple of trailers here myself.

Paint and walnut tumbling media on dry cured wood...

I used threw bolts at the front (left long to add eyes/cleats).
Gonna have to use needle scaler to get some of the rust off the 4x6 frame angle iron before I wire wheel and paint, then boards go on. Wire wheeling is a nasty job.
DeWalt wire wheels and used flap disks will take that rust and scale and crud off far better than a needle gun in most instances.

The DeWalt wire wheels seem to last a good long bit compared to the others I've used. Another alternative is just open air sandblasting.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Changing trailer boards - 07/25/23
I’m getting there, making a career out of this it seems. Went with carriage bolts

A little Dairy Farmin' it don't hurt.

All in due time, life don't always gotta be a horse race.
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
DeWalt wire wheels and used flap disks will take that rust and scale and crud off far better than a needle gun in most instances.

The DeWalt wire wheels seem to last a good long bit compared to the others I've used. Another alternative is just open air sandblasting.

Needle scaler is for the corners and places a wire wheel can’t get to, thankful that part is over. Yes, DeWalt wheels are the best. I seem to end up with less stuck in me using theirs.
Looking good. Nice trailer.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Looking good. Nice trailer.

Thank you, won’t have another trailer that isn’t closed in. You can haul a lot without strapping every little piece, mulch, dirt, etc
Posted By: hanco Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/07/23
Finally finished the damn thing, couple other projects and a deer lease trip slowed me down some.

Coated boards with used hydraulic oil.

Made spare mount on top. I was going to put them on the sides, but they stuck out too far. I had spares held down with a piece of 5/8 all thread, but I’ve been worried about that.

Posted By: BMT Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/07/23

Nice.

BMT
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/07/23
Hard work in Texas heat David! I have three that need it right now and I'm not doing it!
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/07/23
What's amazing is you found that many straight boards.I had to go to McCoy's to find lumber that straight when I changed out trailer boards.Looks great hanco!
Hard work in Texas heat David! I have three that need it right now and I'm not doing it!

It does suck, but the hunting lease I’m on could go to hell any time. The family is suing each other, hopefully get to hunt this season, go get stands, feeders, feeder pens, pig traps, tripods when it’s cool. I had to get it usable in case I have to go get my things now.
Posted By: Setterman Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/07/23
Great job Hanco. I enjoy your projects. You are one very skilled dude.

Bob
Originally Posted by baldhunter
What's amazing is you found that many straight boards.I had to go to McCoy's to find lumber that straight when I changed out trailer boards.Looks great hanco!

That where I got them, weren’t that straight, had to jack them around to get them in place. There were no gaps two weeks ago. They have shrunk that much.
Originally Posted by Setterman
Great job Hanco. I enjoy your projects. You are one very skilled dude.

Bob

I appreciate that, working on another feeder. Gonna bring 1000lb protein-corn feeder home next time I go. It is a trailer full by itself. The tripod kind break down, take up much less room when I have to get off soon.

It does suck, but the hunting lease I’m on could go to hell any time. The family is suing each other, hopefully get to hunt this season, go get stands, feeders, feeder pens, pig traps, tripods when it’s cool. I had to get it usable in case I have to go get my things now.

I'm not retired yet so my excuse is work, but honestly, I just can't stomach the thought of being out in the heat one minute more than I have to. Remeber when the trailer deck is falling through you can always screw some plywood to it an get another couple years out of it. LOL
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/07/23
Remeber when the trailer deck is falling through you can always screw some plywood to it an get another couple years out of it. LOL

Plywood?

Or T1-11?

Which is better Roy?

I'm not retired yet so my excuse is work, but honestly, I just can't stomach the thought of being out in the heat one minute more than I have to. Remeber when the trailer deck is falling through you can always screw some plywood to it a get another couple years out of it. LOL

I did that, but need to haul my tractor, was nervous about that. I’ve lived all my life in the Texas heat, worked outside in the crap for 50 plus years. I stayed in a lot last summer since it was the first year I didn’t have to be in it, but I was bored. I’ve been out in it most all summer working on something. I work a couple hours, go in for 30 minutes or so.

I can tell you out in the sun is bad, but have worked in boiler rooms and tunnels that were 130 degrees. That’s way worse, welded lots of pipe in mechanical rooms. You are in there a little while, it feels good to go outside on a 100 degree day.
Posted By: deflave Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/07/23
I'm not retired yet so my excuse is work, but honestly, I just can't stomach the thought of being out in the heat one minute more than I have to. Remeber when the trailer deck is falling through you can always screw some plywood to it an get another couple years out of it. LOL

This is gold Jerry, gold.

LOL
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/07/23
Got the inside painted, used wire wheel and needle scaler to get old paint and rust off. I’ll go get boards Monday. Glad that part is done

Memory trigger....

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😡🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Needle gunning rust...
Not fun...
But no other way to get nooks and crannies...
What are we doing today on the 36 day trip across the Alantic...
Let me geuss..
Bead blasting the deck and needle gunning so the 2 part epoxy crew can paint tommorow.
Ad nauseum...

BTDT....
We still on for tonight Dave? I promise I'll be more gentle this time. Do you want me to pull your hair like last time?

LOL
We still on for tonight Dave? I promise I'll be more gentle this time. Do you want me to pull your hair like last time?

LOL

It’s kinda warm outside so maybe you should just stay home.

LOL

Fugking f a g g o t.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Remeber when the trailer deck is falling through you can always screw some plywood to it an get another couple years out of it. LOL

Plywood?

Or T1-11?

Which is better Roy?

Remember when his wife said he was a lazy sack of schit?

LOL
I really like it when you act out. Maybe kick around a bit.

I enjoy when your wife punks you for the bitch that you are.

LOL
Originally Posted by renegade50

Memory trigger....

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😡🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Needle gunning rust...
Not fun...
Let me geuss..
Bead blasting the deck and needle gunning so the 2 part epoxy crew can paint tommorow.
Ad nauseum...

BTDT....

My boy was in the navy, that went on every day he said. He was a Corpsman, didn’t have to do that, but had to listen to it.

LOL

Knowing I get under your skin like I do makes it all worthwhile.

LOL
Ballz thread hijacks... ARE THE BEST!

LOL

Knowing I get under your skin like I do makes it all worthwhile.

LOL

Yeah I’m just all broken up.

LOL
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Ballz thread hijacks... ARE THE BEST!

What else does he have?

His wife and kids hate him.

LOL
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/07/23
Originally Posted by renegade50

Memory trigger....

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😡🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Needle gunning rust...
Not fun...
Let me geuss..
Ad nauseum...

BTDT....

My boy was in the navy, that went on every day he said. He was a Corpsman, didn’t have to do that, but had to listen to it.
Needle gunning sucks...

🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🤦‍♂️
Posted By: Morewood Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/07/23
Now saving used oil to swab on the deck of my new (used) 10 footer. Thanks for the tips!
Posted By: Morewood Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/07/23
Trailer looks great, Hanco. Nice job.
Originally Posted by Morewood
Now saving used oil to swab on the deck of my new (used) 10 footer. Thanks for the tips!

If you are in an area of frost or freezing... you might want to ponder aggregate instead.
I wish I'd have taken some before and after pics of my dump trailer. I bought it from a fella in Seeley lake, Mt that probably frequents a place like this based on his house.

I replaced all the backing plates, hubs, bearings, wheels and added 19.5 tires. I had to strip and paint it after welding up some of the oopsies.

It's a nice rig now.

Posted By: hanco Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/08/23
A dump trailer would be handy!
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/08/23
ive done 25-30 trailer floors in the last 20 years. by bolting the boards down you buy cull crooked lumber at a lumber yard and with the right tools straighten them out when bolting them down. i bought a few thousand 3" wood to metal screws that were made to screw 1 1/2 wood to steel a few years back. very easy to install.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Changing trailer boards - 08/08/23
Last time we did my 12ft double axle trailer, we hung it up in the air with my buddies forklift, removed the old rotted boards, sandblasted it, painted it with black Imeron, and put the new boards on.
© 24hourcampfire