Home
Are they all being bought up by the feds for ammo for Ukraine? Seems minimal shortage on the other size primers but Large rifle and large rifle magnum are nowhere to be found.
Hunting season is coming on. If someone finds some, they'll buy several bricks even if they already have 20 bricks on hand.
Folks spending their money I guess.
Seasonal change-over - hurricanes in the gulf - government not allowing new factories - China buying them all up. All the usual BS, different product, same excuses.
Belt-feds eat LR primers.
in the past 3 1/2 yrs iv'e only stumbled onto LR primers twice at my LGS's... managed to score a brick ea. of GM215M's & F210's... did a lot of checking to find them...
Miwall corp. seems to have some, Remington and CCI, either case of 5,000 or by the thousand. May not be the flavor your hunting for, but hey, they go bang?
I haven’t seen many but Target Sports had CCI #250’s in stock a couple of weeks ago.
Probably the Jews.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Probably the Jews.

Definitely the Rothschilds
How many times have you read right here on the Fire where somebody posts, "They had primers at XYZ, and I bought all they had."

Well...
My guess is that all have been put into the Ukraine pipeline
Remington LRP are at a local shop for 100/1000. Others are 85.
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
Are they all being bought up by the feds for ammo for Ukraine?
Well, that and outfitting the 87,000 IRS agents.
They don’t want us to have them
I kinda doubt Uke war is a big factor... if you can accept the arbitrary number, that each side has about a million men, using old Vietnam stats, that is about 1 in 7 in combat roles or 150,000 each, I'd say those numbers are not consuming world production of primers.
I'm with Rocket Raab, hoarding...remember the great toilet paper buyout at the start of the covid panic?
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
How many times have you read right here on the Fire where somebody posts, "They had primers at XYZ, and I bought all they had."

Well...

Got to make sure that the great grand-kid's great-grand kids have enough to start building their own supply; screw everybody else.
Gee, it's not like there's never been a primer shortage before, and the prices didn't double afterwards.

I can understand why nobody could see this coming....
I know it sucks but have a hard time feeling sorry for folks that didn’t heed the multiple warnings over the years. I have good friends and neighbors who still want to buy primers a 100 at a time with no thoughts for the future.

With planning, I have not been forced to change my shooting habits. I have offered primers to fire members with the understanding that the replace them when they once again become available. I see them available from time to time, at a greatly increased price but available.
Everbody wants to blame the Ukraine war why there isn't any primers, the war consumes 1% of the ammo that gets sent over there. Does anybody realize Vista owns 90% of the primers being made. We had the Iraq and Afghanistan war both going on for years and no shortages.
Why should Vista buy more equipment and hire more employees couldn't get them anyway to pump out more primers when the can just triple the price and do nothing different its not rocket science.
We are our own worst enemy for opening up your wallet almost 3 years ago and paying the ridiculous prices, gunbroker is a perfect example, its fear and gouging at its finest just like above was stated, toilet paper Def fluid etc.
Are they all being bought up by the feds for ammo for Ukraine? Seems minimal shortage on the other size primers but Large rifle and large rifle magnum are nowhere to be found.
I've got 600 Winchester Large Rifle, and 100 Federal Magnum Large Rifle, primers, and would gladly sell them to you, then ship them to you, but it seems that the regulations nowadays are so complicated that I don't think I'd want to get involved in it.
I have sold a few bricks to friends over the past two-three years, at current Midway listed pricing. Not gouging, but not going to sell at below replacement cost either.

I learned my lesson in '93, during the first shortage when Clinton came into office. Even at today's prices, primers are still the cheapest component to stock up on, and will store for decades without degradation.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Hunting season is coming on. If someone finds some, they'll buy several bricks even if they already have 20 bricks on hand.

Here's a good example of why there isn't any. How many primers do you need to get through a hunting season???
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've got 600 Winchester Large Rifle, and 100 Federal Magnum Large Rifle, primers, and would gladly sell them to you

Wow!
Go back to sleep, it will all be over with when you wake up.
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Everbody wants to blame the Ukraine war why there isn't any primers, the war consumes 1% of the ammo that gets sent over there. Does anybody realize Vista owns 90% of the primers being made.

I'm calling bullchit on this.

"Sent over there" - Where is "there"? Ukraine? If that is the case, then why not cut shipments back 99% if it isn't being used? Your statement makes no sense.

Vista 90%? What, Wiinchester and Remington quit making primers? Plus a number of lesser know imports? What orifice did you pull that percentage from?

As far as Iraq and Afghanistan, we didn't fight using prolonged trench warfare tactics like these clowns in Ukraine, who seem to be burning-out barrels all day long.
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I've got 600 Winchester Large Rifle, and 100 Federal Magnum Large Rifle, primers, and would gladly sell them to you

Wow!
Because I have so few or because I have so many?
I actually found 1,400 CCI200's at a local shop yesterday. $9.99/box, so they were not cheap but I got them. I was down to about 400 left, so while not a big stockpile it should keep me shooting for the next season to two. First Large Rifle Primers I have seen in close to 3 years.
Originally Posted by hanco
This most definitely.
The “shortage” started long before the first Russian troop stepped over the border.
Government contracts to Ammo manufacturers are much more lucrative than selling Joe Reloader.
The government sets the quota, telling them how many they want, and I know this sounds like a conspiracy theory, and how many to make available for private sales.
Controlling ammo is a way for gun control by other means. The government has been at war with patriots for a long time. They definitely DO NOT want you able to fight back.
Change my mind!
7mm
Glad I don’t reload and fool with all of that tiddly worry. Box of 32 winchester special last me 15 years.
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Everbody wants to blame the Ukraine war why there isn't any primers, the war consumes 1% of the ammo that gets sent over there. Does anybody realize Vista owns 90% of the primers being made.

I'm calling bullchit on this.

"Sent over there" - Where is "there"? Ukraine? If that is the case, then why not cut shipments back 99% if it isn't being used? Your statement makes no sense.

Vista 90%? What, Wiinchester and Remington quit making primers? Plus a number of lesser know imports? What orifice did you pull that percentage from?

As far as Iraq and Afghanistan, we didn't fight using prolonged trench warfare tactics like these clowns in Ukraine, who seem to be burning-out barrels all day long.
Call B.S if you want could careless. Vista owns Remington, CCI and Federal so that leaves win. In the U.S and a few foreign primers. Did you see the letter Vistas CEO put out? they have no plans on changing a thing.
I learned 20 + years ago about when the same [bleep] start first time primers were being made that would only last couple years on the shelf and panic set in. Price conditioning at its finest.
Keep buying those " sales"
I'd gladly trade a bunch of primers for some good hunting permits/trips.
Does record profits ring a Bell for Vista when this started or 700% profits for Cal- Maine last year U.S biggest egg producer? I know it was all the Bird flu.
Did you see the letter Vistas CEO put out? they have no plans on changing a thing.

Why don't you post a copy of it? Or at least a link?

I would prefer to see what he said, in his words, not somebody else's interpretation.
Originally Posted by ModelT
Glad I don’t reload and fool with all of that tiddly worry. Box of 32 winchester special last me 15 years.

Slummy, 'dat you?
If Vista is price gouging, it won’t last long.

Too many other brands are being imported now, and people are getting used to these brands. Eventually, many handloaders will view these brands no differently than they view the “traditional” primer brands (i.e. Win, CCI, Rem, Fed).

If retailers can buy imported primers from Wolf, S&B, Fiocchi, Aguila, Ginex, ZSR, etc… and sell them for less than a domestic brand, they will, and people will buy them.
You must shoot as often as you post. wink
Did you see the letter Vistas CEO put out? they have no plans on changing a thing.

I would prefer to see what he said, in his words, not somebody else's interpretation.
Google is your friend I never have figured out how to post any links on this sight
I began reloading in 2020 (good timing). Walmart had a pile of CCI 200 primers at the time and I bought a bunch. I haven't seen any anywhere since then and the shops that I frequent laugh when I ask. Maybe I'm not part of the "in" crowd.

Google is your friend I never have figured out how to post any links on this sight
Copy the web page's address and paste it in your post.
Waaa! Waaa! Waaa! - "People keep buying primers - they have too many." "Stop buying and the price will go down and supply up"

I love that crowd.

Tells me all I need to know about you....
Nobody wants to be “that guy” who is forced to pay 250 for a 1000 when they really need them from gunbroker….. I have about 4000 on hand and for my needs that’s good for a few years….. if I see a deal, I may grab another brick here or there….. it’s the guys buying everything in stock to resell or hoard that are the problem.

Wow!! You really get after it.
Not much of a shortage that will last. I bought them all a few days ago.

You can find them, they are just expensive!!! Actually they have been in very short supply for over a year now, but are just now hitting the shelves at very high costs. You've been hiding under a rock for the last 2 years?
I've got 600 Winchester Large Rifle, and 100 Federal Magnum Large Rifle, primers, and would gladly sell them to you, then ship them to you, but it seems that the regulations nowadays are so complicated that I don't think I'd want to get involved in it.
Primers and powder are not hard to ship. Just assemble it into loaded rounds and put a "limited quantity" sticker on the box.
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
Waaa! Waaa! Waaa! - "People keep buying primers - they have too many." "Stop buying and the price will go down and supply up"

I love that crowd.

Tells me all I need to know about you....

As your post tells us all we need to know about you.
Why bother with the reloader peons when you can sell hunting calibers at a buck a pop and north? The industry has really abandoned its base.
The real question is WGAF about a dick who doesn't enjoy shooting and then acts like everyone should feel the same?
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Why bother with the reloader peons when you can sell hunting calibers at a buck a pop and north? The industry has really abandoned its base.

^ That's the real answer, it takes a while to catch up when Demorats take charge and there is an ammo vacuum. I'm sure loaded ammo has a higher profit margin than selling primers, so those get priority. Things will mellow a bit in 18 months if we can avoid a civil war.
Originally Posted by tzone

But….on the bright side, when SHTF and it’s TEOTWAWKI there won’t be any bandits and highwaymen raiding his home. 😀

I don’t think I’ve owned just 1 box of ammo ever since I 8…back then I’d do some work and then ride my bike a couple miles to the Ted’s fishing shop who also sold ammo back then and buy a box of 50 .22lr.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by tzone

But….on the bright side, when SHTF and it’s TEOTWAWKI there won’t be any bandits and highwaymen raiding his home. 😀

I don’t think I’ve owned just 1 box of ammo ever since I 8…back then I’d do some work and then ride my bike a couple miles to the Ted’s fishing shop who also sold ammo back then and buy a box of 50 .22lr.
He'll be surprised years from now when he tries to find his next box of .32 Special
Wont say what I got, but way more than I'd need if things were normal. Things have obviously turned out not normal and I'm not sorry I'm sitting on what I am.
I started years ago trying to keep 2 election cycles worth of components on hand. I feel sorry for the new shooter/reloader that have never experienced these shortages.
Originally Posted by lightman
I started years ago trying to keep 2 election cycles worth of components on hand. I feel sorry for the new shooter/reloader that have never experienced these shortages.

That's where I'm at. I can't say that about a particular powder depending how many different rifles I end up using that same powder for, but I can say that about primers. Actually well beyond that on the primer front. A hoarder is someone who accumulates way more than they will ever use. My primer stash will have an end date, but it will get me way down the road.
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Originally Posted by hanco
This most definitely.
The “shortage” started long before the first Russian troop stepped over the border.
Government contracts to Ammo manufacturers are much more lucrative than selling Joe Reloader. ...
This ^^^^^^

... Why should Vista buy more equipment and hire more employees couldn't get them anyway to pump out more primers when they can just triple the price and do nothing different its not rocket science.
And This ^^^^^^^

Uncle Sugar can spend YOUR tax dollars to suck up the supply of primer so that YOU cannot resist when the brown shirts start coming around. Meanwhile, Vista is in a position where they are running full production, fully sold out, making 2x or 3x more profit than they were making previously. Why incur the additional cost (risk) to expand production when in 16 months, Donald Trump may be re-elected, and all of the panic buying comes to a screeching halt? Vista is sitting golden right now with Government contracts. Same as Barret. Why sell a lower cost, lower profit Barret Field Craft to picky individual rifle snobs? When you can sell a higher cost, MUCH higher profit military arm to Uncle Sugar who will in all likelihood will tell the grunts to STFU if they dare to complain about the rifle?
The Jews don't want you to have them.

That way they can kill you all off and pump their own septic tanks.
They all went to Ukraine.
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

That's where I'm at. I can't say that about a particular powder depending how many different rifles I end up using that same powder for, but I can say that about primers. Actually well beyond that on the primer front. A hoarder is someone who accumulates way more than they will ever use. My primer stash will have an end date, but it will get me way down the road.

F that. My grandkids are going to need primers and powder after I am gone. It is time to start looking for scrap lead again. I am down to 150 lb of alloy ingots and 100 lb of bullets cast.

I ain't no hoarder!
Wise people, who prepare in advance for hard times, are always condemned as hoarders by the less wise.
Ammoseek

Other places as well...
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

F that. My grandkids are going to need primers and powder after I am gone. It is time to start looking for scrap lead again. I am down to 150 lb of alloy ingots and 100 lb of bullets cast.

I ain't no hoarder!

I'm 52. 20 yrs worth of primers I'm okay with. Far as I know, I'll use them. 35 or 40 might be a bit excessive. But then again maybe not. grin
I set myself up on everything a couple of shortages ago.
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
I set myself up on everything a couple of shortages ago.

This.
Got enough for my use but I feel for the younger people who have to put up with this type of "new normal". They didn't live thru past shortages and really know what to do.

My nephew us putting together an 338Edge. Uncle, ends up throwing primers, H-1000, couple bags of 300 Ultra parent cases, and an Nightforce with some rings his way. Thanks Uncle.
Seems folks want to talk about a primer shortage. I have large rifle primers listed in the classifieds here for two weeks. No interest. I dont think folks are needing them a bad as they are saying...
I just saw this thread.

I have 5-1000 rd bricks I can part with.

CCI #250 large rifle magnum.
I can't imagine needing more than I have. Fool me once....
Originally Posted by pyscodog
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Here's a good example of why there isn't any. How many primers do you need to get through a hunting season???
Hunting season?????????

If it was about hunting season, there would not be 10,000 home built rounds of CF ammo stored on-site.
Right. They want us unarmed without primers when the stormtroopers come.

Wake up dude. There are huge piles of bulk 5.56 everywhere. Lol so if they wanted us unarmed thru lack of components...

Also no one is in Ukraine hunched over their RCBS press trying to keep up with belt feds lol

If you're an ammo manufacturer and could just tool up for 5.56 and never have to slow down...why would you stop the profit machine to change over to 35 Remington or to make primers that will be bought at a much slower pace?

It's hoarding as usual, mixed a bit with government contracts and companies not expanding because they don't know which way political winds might drift on a day's notice.
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Government contracts to Ammo manufacturers are much more lucrative than selling Joe Reloader.

Let's throw Sierra Bullets in the mix. I conversed not too long ago with a Sierra line worker. He seemed legit and didn't want his name repeated. I was wondering why there are zero Sierra bullets anywhere to buy. He stated Sierra had been running around the clock producing 7 million bullets a month for over a year and had just dropped that production to 5 million per month. Not a single bullet for the domestic reloading market. That production was to satisfy government contracts.
What's the difference between "hoarding" and "preparation"?

Those who aren't prepared view those who are as "hoarders".

Those who are prepared view those who aren't as fools.
Make that 4-1000 rd bricks of primers lol smile
© 24hourcampfire