Home

Fun walk thru of an repro old time sail boat.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: If you like sailing boats - 08/23/23
Pretty Cool opcricker, thanks for posting.
Amazing how much work goes into building and maintaining a ship like that.
Like old boats, truly. They are however, not prone to long life down here in the tropic. We have a marine boring worm that just LOVES old wooden boats.
Tag
All the coordinated logistics way back when required to pay for, assemble the materials, build, pay the labor, assemble a crew, contract for cargo and destination, offload, collect payment etc etc etc…..

All accomplished where the only communication was pen and ink on paper send by unreliable and inconsistent mail networks.

I don’t know how they pulled it off.
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

Fun walk thru of an repro old time sail boat.

What a feast for the eye. Absolutely spectacular!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: If you like sailing boats - 08/23/23
Neat video. I went aboard HMS Victory at Portsmouth, UK and it was incredible to see how they lived at sea. No wasted space as you see in this video. The gun decks are amazing.
Posted By: Sheister Re: If you like sailing boats - 08/23/23
I've been following a video series on youtube about a sailing ship that is being resurrected and it has been fascinating to watch. If you are really into incredible woodworking, learning something about how and why things are done when building these ships, and other interesting facets of boat building this series will hook you.

The series and name of the boat is called Tally Ho. Start from the beginning of the series and watch this young man put together a crew to rebuild this famous, but neglected, ship...
Wonder if there are any vids of the ships designed by the darkies.
Posted By: DMc Re: If you like sailing boats - 08/23/23
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Like old boats, truly. They are however, not prone to long life down here in the tropic. We have a marine boring worm that just LOVES old wooden boats.
Guess I better hold off on getting my wood & canvas canoe.
I carried the kids to see the replica of the Santa Maria, Columbus’ ship built in the late 70,? or early 80’s in Brazil. It was all wood and small. All the navigational stuff was hidden beneath the deck. The sons especially enjoyed learning about the “poop deck”. We all marveled at how small it was and primitive. It was sailed from Brazil to various ports in the USA. We saw it at Vicksburg, Mississippi. It was featured in National Geographic if I remember correctly.
The use of pinetar on wood and the coatings on that Manila and hemp rope is an interesting dive to go down. In this video some of the hatches the fella crawls down have rope supplies and there was a full wood shop. In the days back when these ships were actually used I'd reckon the amount of ropes was even greater. Still this gives a glimpse of the past and the dude repairing those sails was impressive.
Get back to me when it goes on sail. whistle whistle whistle
Posted By: WildWest Re: If you like sailing boats - 08/24/23
Wow, how many miles of rope is used on this ship? Amazing.
Beautiful!
© 24hourcampfire