Home
Posted By: stxhunter R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/27/23
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: R.I.P. - 08/27/23
My condolences.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: R.I.P. - 08/27/23
Wow, can't believe it's been that long....I have all his stuff, one of the greatest ever.
On his tombstone "Thank you,,,,for all the love you passed our way"......lyrics he wrote for a tribute to his mentor, another great song. "Life without you"

Posted By: poboy Re: R.I.P. - 08/27/23
I always liked that song. S.R.V .R.I.P.
Just say no to CFT....and helicopters.
Posted By: Riverc Re: R.I.P. - 08/27/23
Time flies, You hear people say Jimi Hendrix was the best guitar player, Imo Stevie Ray was better.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: R.I.P. - 08/27/23
I sometimes find myself wondering why any musician would strap into an aircraft seat. You'd think aircraft are conscious and have something against music makers.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: R.I.P. - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by Riverc
Time flies, You hear people say Jimi Hendrix was the best guitar player, Imo Stevie Ray was better.

I don't agree.

I don't think you can compare the two.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: R.I.P. - 08/27/23
There's no doubt, Stevie was better and more innovative in style.....Jimi just played a right handed guitar upside down Lefty, did lots of heroine, and lit the guitar on fire after the show.... lol
For his wife Lenny

Want to compare Stevie and Jimi ?,,,,,Jimi wrote the song, no comparison in the skill level of playing the rendition.

Posted By: Riverc Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/27/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I don't agree.

I don't think you can compare the two.
That's ok your opinion watch Stevie play Voodoo Child.

Who's song is that?
There would be no SRV without there being a Hendrix first.
Posted By: Riverc Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/27/23

You have zero idea what you're talking about, their song writing styles were completely different....as was their playing styles.

Just because you may have came first, doesn't mean you were the best.....without Albert King, there would have been no Jimi Hendrix.
Well fine then.

Chet Atkins is arguably better then both.

Sheesh.
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

You have zero idea what you're talking about, their song writing styles were completely different....as was their playing styles.

Just because you may have came first, doesn't mean you were the best.....without Albert King, there would have been no Jimi Hendrix.

Right.

That's why everyone posts Hendrix covers to prove their point.

Right.
Well fine then.

Sheesh.

Let me explain a fact to your simple azz, this was a TRIBUTE THREAD to Stevie on the anniversary of his DEATH....not a debate on who YOU think was better.

Can you understand that ?
Well fine then.

Sheesh.

Let me explain a fact to your simple azz, this was a TRIBUTE THREAD to Stevie on the anniversary of his DEATH....not a debate on who YOU think was better.

Hahaha!

I guess that's why I commented on the post before mine that I didn't think one was better than the other...in response to a post about SRV being better than Hendrix.

Obviously you were confused by your grief.
Well fine then.

Sheesh.

Hahaha!

I guess that's why I commented on the post before mine that I didn't think one was better than the other...in response to a post about SRV being better than Hendrix.

Obviously you were confused by your grief.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I will chalk that up to you being so grief stricken that you resort to personal attacks.

Pears sent.
Posted By: EdM Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/27/23
We walked out of his show. Agonizingly long drawn out repetitive solos.
Originally Posted by EdM
Vaughn was Exceptional but there was another that was Very Unique Artist was Jeff Healey ..

Interesting Style of Blues Guitar..
Posted By: Teal Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/28/23
Stevie was amazing and I lament I never got to see him live.

There would be no Stevie without Albert King, in fact, there's so much Albert in Stevie's playing that IIRC Nile Rodgers commented to David Bowie (cuz Stevie played guitar on the studio cuts for his "Let's Dance" album) that if he wanted Albert King on the record, he could have gotten Albert King as he's still alive.

For me, what I noticed is people tend to prefer SRV's version of Hendrix songs - ATW, Little Wing etc - Stevie's version is the one that's played not Jimi's.
Posted By: gunzo Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/28/23
Hendrix get's mentioned a lot cause so many have covered his songs & usually come up just a bit, or a lot short. Then SRV comes along & covers better than most, & maybe doing it just a bit better. And that's when the discussions start. But what ever.

RIP Stevie. You are definitely missed.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/28/23

The 24 Hour Campfire Bus going to Heaven, on Judgement Day.

~ All Aboard!
Originally Posted by Teal

There would be no Stevie without Albert King, in fact, there's so much Albert in Stevie's playing that IIRC Nile Rodgers commented to David Bowie (cuz Stevie played guitar on the studio cuts for his "Let's Dance" album) that if he wanted Albert King on the record, he could have gotten Albert King as he's still alive.

For me, what I noticed is people tend to prefer SRV's version of Hendrix songs - ATW, Little Wing etc - Stevie's version is the one that's played not Jimi's.

Albert King was the biggest influence on SRV’s guitar “styling”. He said so many times in interviews.

And for those that think Hendrix was a better guitarist than SRV, they are either completely tone deaf or have never played a guitar.

Clapton and many others admitted SRV was the best and had no equal.

Sad thing about STV’s passing was that he’d finally gotten sober and left all of the drug & alcohol days behind him, and was finally healthy again.

There are several great documentaries on SRV available on Amazon Prime.
The newest one, featuring Jimmy Vaughan, and rare footage of he and SRV is called “Brothers in Blues”.
It also features interviews with Clapton & others about their final performance, the night SRV died.
I think it was a $3 rental on Prime, but well worth the money if you’re a SRV fan.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt22409096/
Originally Posted by P_Weed

~ All Aboard!

LOL !
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Albert King was the biggest influence on SRV’s guitar “styling”. He said so many times in interviews.

And for those that think Hendrix was a better guitarist than SRV, they are either completely tone deaf or have never played a guitar.

Clapton and many others admitted SRV was the best and had no equal.

Sad thing about STV’s passing was that he’d finally gotten sober and left all of the drug & alcohol days behind him, and was finally healthy again.

There are several great documentaries on SRV available on Amazon Prime.
The newest one, featuring Jimmy Vaughan, and rare footage of he and SRV is called “Brothers in Blues”.
It also features interviews with Clapton & others about their final performance, the night SRV died.
I think it was a $3 rental on Prime, but well worth the money if you’re a SRV fan.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt22409096/

Hahaha!

Clapton? That's your yardstick? Hahaha!

Sheesh.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

~ All Aboard!

LOL !
It's funny because it's true.
sorry for your loss

While i think he had his moments and I enjoy some of his songs, he is a B leaguer in the guitar world.
Posted By: Teal Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/28/23
Originally Posted by killerv
sorry for your loss

While i think he had his moments and I enjoy some of his songs, he is a B leaguer in the guitar world.

Lol - who's in your "A" league and what do THEY think of SRV?
Posted By: Riverc Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/28/23
sorry for your loss

Ok, name a few A leaguers so I can compare.
Well fine then.

Sheesh.

LOL ..... Carlos Santana is better than all of them. (hook baited)
Originally Posted by EdM

I'm guilty of walking out of a Allman Bros show at the Fox theater of all places in Atlanta, Trucks is good but shows no emotion and is so repetitive, does nothing for me. Just stands there like hes asleep.
sorry for your loss

I dont have that amount of time....plus I already need carpel tunnel surgery, been putting it off.

Take all that back, he's the greatest adult guitar player under 5'6'' tall.
Posted By: Riverc Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/28/23
sorry for your loss

I dont have that amount of time....plus I already need carpel tunnel surgery, been putting it off.

laugh ok whatever
Well fine then.

Sheesh.

Let me be clear this is the 24hr Campfire forum, your delusions noted.

~ All Aboard!

Exactly, but you will need more and larger busses.....
whistle
Originally Posted by rickt300
Well fine then.

Sheesh.

Let me be clear this is the 24hr Campfire forum, your delusions noted.

True lol
Posted By: hanco Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/28/23
Can’t believe it’s been that long
Posted By: hanco Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/28/23
Stevie and his father died on the same day, four years apart
I like SRV’s music quite a bit. One of my favorites from that genre.

As to the best, I know less than Fugk all about playing guitar, but that Buckethead fella is pretty amazing to listen to.
Originally Posted by EdM

I'm guilty of walking out of a Allman Bros show at the Fox theater of all places in Atlanta, Trucks is good but shows no emotion and is so repetitive, does nothing for me. Just stands there like hes asleep.

Derek Trucks always looks like he has something better to do.
sorry for your loss

laugh ok whatever
Obligatory reference to....................................

Joe Bonermaser

coming soon
Posted By: msalm Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/28/23
I was at SRV’s last concert thanks to a friend that was into music and invited me along. It was damnded good with the jam session at the end with Clapton and Vaughn on stage a memorable experience. Think I still have the T-shirts of the event I bought on my way out for 1/2 price.
RIP SRV.

Time flies - Musicians should not....... frown
SRV sound check...

Originally Posted by billtrev
SRV sound check...

A lot of artist couldn't do that on purpose….

Part 2 starts with his comments re: Jimi

Posted By: Teeder Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/29/23
One of the greats!
That was a sad day when he died. I was a huge fan when he was alive, lucky enough to have seen him twice, but haven't listened much since.
Posted By: Huntz Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/29/23
Unless you are a Blues Freak,I would say 95% of SRV fans never heard of him before he died .
Posted By: gunzo Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/29/23
He was pretty well known on rock stations around here. Starting with what I called his rockabilly stuff. But when Couldn't Stand the Weather came out he was on the radio and MTV quite a bit. 84-85.
Posted By: Teal Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/29/23
Originally Posted by Huntz
Unless you are a Blues Freak,I would say 95% of SRV fans never heard of him before he died .

4 top 40 albums before he died, 9 top 30 singles including #1 for Crossfire in '89 - he was well known prior to death as he was on MTV quite a bit, including being a big enough of a draw to be on Unplugged. MTV wasn't exactly catering to blues freaks in 1990. Hell they still played music and SRV was only the 6th guy to be on Unplugged.

You don't share the stage with Clapton in 1990 because you only have a blues freak fanbase. Clapton was still primarily a pop guy at the time. Clapton hadn't released an album in 2 years before SRV died and that album was pop/rock. Pilgrim.

4 top 40 albums before he died, 9 top 30 singles including #1 for Crossfire in '89 - he was well known prior to death as he was on MTV quite a bit, including being a big enough of a draw to be on Unplugged. MTV wasn't exactly catering to blues freaks in 1990. Hell they still played music and SRV was only the 6th guy to be on Unplugged.

You don't share the stage with Clapton in 1990 because you only have a blues freak fanbase. Clapton was still primarily a pop guy at the time. Clapton hadn't released an album in 2 years before SRV died and that album was pop/rock. Pilgrim.
You there.

Stop trying to make sense to Huntz.

And playing on a David Bowie album wasn't exactly Blues.
I don't know if I'd consider that a true Unplugged show, most dont know it existed and If I'm not mistaken he only played 3 songs.

He sort of owed it to Bowie, Bowie did give him his big break.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: R.I.P., 33 years ago today. - 08/29/23
Saw him live in ABQ in the early 80’s. He got sloppy drunk by the end of the show, but it was still pretty epic. I guess he quit drinking later… for all the good it did him.

Better technician than Hendrix, for sure, but Jimi had something nobody has corralled prior or since and Jimi was pioneering tones and hardware that guys like SRV just took for granted.

My all-time favorite song to roll in my earbuds when I was standing on the top of a certain long steep black diamond run with boards strapped to my feet was Voodoo Chile, the Hendrix version. SRV’s is “better”, but cannot compare to Jimi’s in terms of raw emotion and soul.

My 2nd fave song in that scenario was “More Human Than Human”… go figure. Something about the brutality of the drum sound. The run I’m picturing had rocks you’d slide into and hurt yourself if you fell on the upper part- which I did once- and it was a literal leap of faith to jump off that mountain at that spot. But brother Jimi sure did help.
© 24hourcampfire