Home
Posted By: JoeBob Electric bill high card draw - 08/28/23
I just got mine…$699. Anybody beat that?

Oh, and phuque Joe Biden.
372 but it was two months at once.
Damn bro, ours rarely gets over $90

I figure even with the cost of wood for the stove in winter added in our utility bill would not top $300 ever.
Two ACs, a pool, and a month straight of triple digits will do it. Come on Texas baws, I know someone can beat it.
We're playing Hi-Lo, right?

Negative $42 for the last one.
Originally Posted by JoeBob

What is the rest of the story? What do you have plugged in?
Originally Posted by StumpDodger

What is the rest of the story? What do you have plugged in?

Nada.
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Fugger!

(has the system paid for itself yet? )

LOL... just wait...

A $700 electric bill in a few years... will be like $0.99 gas was in the past.
Posted By: 007FJ Re: Electric bill high card draw - 08/28/23
2770 sq ft. Run the AC at 75. 20k gallon Pool with new variable speed pump. House built in 2002, had spray foam added to the attic, I believe my plan is 12.2 KW Hour, gas dryer, gas stove.

Slightly over $400.00 the last three in a row so you are definitely winning so far!

404 to be precise.
Ours was $400 last month. That's with an extraordinarily hot, humid summer, boys home. When we lived up north and had a solar array on our garage roof, it was usually just the monthly (less than) $20.00 for being hooked up to the grid.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Electric bill high card draw - 08/28/23
I'd be in a pretty foul mood if I saw a $700 utility bill. Mine is bad enough as it is well below that.
Originally Posted by 007FJ
2770 sq ft. Run the AC at 75. 20k gallon Pool with new variable speed pump. House built in 2002, had spray foam added to the attic, I believe my plan is 12.2 KW Hour, gas dryer, gas stove.

Slightly over $400.00 the last three in a row so you are definitely winning so far!

404 to be precise.
Doing the spray foam deal. 3" in walls and 2" on roof of the new house. Full encapsulation.

A buddy just built one and only did walls with blown in insulation in ceilings. No spray on roof. He said he was at $120 last month.

The spray foam is expensive on the front side for sure but if I can stay under $150 a month I will be happy.
Posted By: Teal Re: Electric bill high card draw - 08/28/23
AC runs all the time in the summer, set at 66-68. I average 105 a month in the summer - electric/gas combined. When daily highs are the 60's and HVAC isn't running at all - I'm around 40 for that month or so.

My largest bill in any 1 month over the last 8 years I've been here was 117.00 - gas/electric.
Posted By: 007FJ Re: Electric bill high card draw - 08/28/23
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

404 to be precise.
Doing the spray foam deal. 3" in walls and 2" on roof of the new house. Full encapsulation.

A buddy just built one and only did walls with blown in insulation in ceilings. No spray on roof. He said he was at $120 last month.

The spray foam is expensive on the front side for sure but if I can stay under $150 a month I will be happy.

Just watch going too encapsulated if you have humidity of any significance. I had to keep my ridge vent and soffit vents open because I live in a swamp pretty much.

404 to be precise.

Just watch going too encapsulated if you have humidity of any significance. I had to keep my ridge vent and soffit vents open because I live in a swamp pretty much.
Full encapsulation. No soffit, ridge or gable vents. Putting in an air exchanger.

50-90% humidity around here.
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'd be in a pretty foul mood if I saw a $700 utility bill. Mine is bad enough as it is well below that.

Shoot, my buddy just got a 1100 dollar water bill, his single neighbor a 900 water bill, mine was 250. They installed some new meters called Master Meters, everyone is getting hammered. My water bill had never been over 40 bucks before.
I've got 2 two ton units and one 5 ton. Run them at 78 during the day and cut it down to 72 at night. About 350 a month right now.
Originally Posted by killerv

Shoot, my buddy just got a 1100 dollar water bill, his single neighbor a 900 water bill, mine was 250. They installed some new meters called Master Meters, everyone is getting hammered. My water bill had never been over 40 bucks before.
Old meters let a lot of water slip by.

Around here the water isn't the bad part. It's the sanitary sewer fee that we pay for the treatment plant.
$1202.00 last month for my shop. 10 000sq/ft with A/C set to 78 degrees during business hours only. Converting from florescent lighting to LED cut about $300.00 off our monthly bill, so that would have been about $1500.00. Still not bad considering the shop door opens and closes probably 50 times a day, or more.

House, I have no idea. That's the wife's department.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Fugger!

(has the system paid for itself yet? )

The system came with the place, and I got in under net metering last year. So a best case scenario in that I bought a depreciated asset, plus PG&E needs to pay me for power generation.

Without solar, I'd be averaging probably $200-$250 a month, as the place is all electric with an inconveniently located wood stove for the winter. I can only take so much whining from the kids about cold or heat as well. I figured the system was worth $5k towards price of home. That's unreasonably low, and maybe $10k would be a better estimate? So payoff in 2-4 years? Of course, I'm contemplating some battery backup, and that's going to cost...
Ours is consistently around $800. Fairly large house and we like it cold.

What temp do you all keep your house?
My wife pays all my bills.
Posted By: Teal Re: Electric bill high card draw - 08/28/23
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Ours is consistently around $800. Fairly large house and we like it cold.

What temp do you all keep your house?

68 basically year round.
Posted By: 79S Re: Electric bill high card draw - 08/28/23
Originally Posted by deflave

Pard same here..

How do you think I heard about it?
WTF?
My electric bill has never been over $180.00 ever and if my water bill was over 25$ I’d be looking for a leak. We’ve been triple digits everyday since July 1st.
What possible benefit is there to living in a place that butt rapes you every month for the basic services? Just like the $1000 a month or more property taxes? My yearly ,YEARLY property tax is $135 dollars and I have 40 acres a house , shop etc. I can’t imagine what in the f#%^ is going on that’s so great where you are that it costs couple thousand dollars a month for the privilege of living there and having lights and water.
Posted By: TimZ Re: Electric bill high card draw - 08/28/23
I can’t beat the $699, but it was uncomfortably close to that…..
Mine runs $17 a month this time of year (the service connection fee). Original owners of my house put in rooftop solar.

Hmmmm

Just got my power bill......on equal payment

They bumped it up from $95 to $114/month (coal fired power plant)

Been running the big 220 air......along with the 110 mini split system

House temp stays around 71-73*

No kids in the house to leave stuff on when not being used

Hottest it's been in July was 98*

Ready for September & 45* nights------75* days
Originally Posted by Bay1975
WTF?
My electric bill has never been over $180.00 ever and if my water bill was over 25$ I’d be looking for a leak. We’ve been triple digits everyday since July 1st.
What possible benefit is there to living in a place that butt rapes you every month for the basic services? Just like the $1000 a month or more property taxes? My yearly ,YEARLY property tax is $135 dollars and I have 40 acres a house , shop etc. I can’t imagine what in the f#%^ is going on that’s so great where you are that it costs couple thousand dollars a month for the privilege of living there and having lights and water.
State??

It all depends where in the country you live, some states rape you others don't
$451.06 which wasn't too bad considering how hot it has been in N. Texas. 5,400 square feet under air on main house, 1,200 square feet of shop (also air conditioned), 36,000 gallon pool. House is almost 25 years old, but I was in the insulation business a few years before we built the house and went with the best we had at the time. Glued cellulose in the walls, cellulose in the attic, reflective decking on the roof and outside walls facing South and West, and Anderson windows/doors.
~$750.00

EDIT: Just checked. Last bill was $770.00.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
~$750.00

There he is.
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Man

you guys are taking it in the shorts

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Too many variables to compare.

You’re a nerd that looks at his electric bill every month?

You’re a nerd that looks at his electric bill every month?

No, I’m the nerd that has to listen to his wife bitch about it.
Big house 2 heat pumps 331.00 in NC Mountains. We have been very lucky with unusually low temperatures this Summer.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Electric bill high card draw - 08/28/23
Originally Posted by killerv

Old meters let a lot of water slip by.

Around here the water isn't the bad part. It's the sanitary sewer fee that we pay for the treatment plant.

same here, we were mandated to switch over to city sewer over our septic - back in 2008, it was $24,000 plus another $2800 to connect
Posted By: gunzo Re: Electric bill high card draw - 08/28/23
Extreme temps aside.

5000 square feet of living space just about always comes at a price. Utilities, taxes, ins., upkeep, yada yada yada

BIL just cancelled his home owners ins. policy on a big home on a lake in Florida. $8000 a year. He might get wiped out this week, but at those annual prices a gamble presents itself.
My last electric bill was $220. 2000 SF house with everything electric. Thermostat set on 74 degrees for A/C, 71 degrees for heat. Never touch it.
$158 at the ranch house, including water for a bunch of cows.
$1868 at home, including the small RV park.
Ours was $127 for last months heat wave and I have a 7.6kwatt solar system. But we have a 2 horse well pump running half the day watering stuff, we keep our ac running so Temps are 71, and we have a plug in hybrid vehicle and a large hot tub kept at 102. Our house is 5200' so I feel like $127 isn't bad at all.

I used upgraded windows and insulation when I built it so it's pretty efficient for the size. I did an inch of spray foam before cellulose and foamed the joist ends and the raised heel energy trusses ends.

Bb
I just paid the power/gas bill for our rez shanty. That and the city water are the only bills that I actually pay with a check.

Combined power/gas was $171, it ranges from $140-340. Water/sewer bill is around $100-120. Taxes about $200 month.

And this is coming from the cheapest place in the lower 48 to live.
Last month was $460

3200 sq ft
2 meters
2- workshops

2 heat pumps
2 water heaters
Viking hot tub
7 freezers
4 in the household

Frozen pizza coming out of the oven couple times a day, canning in the house, mrs slumlord making homemade bread, dozens of cookies on weekends

Winter bills are 1/2 that with hydronic wood heat
Posted By: DHN Re: Electric bill high card draw - 08/29/23
Got home from AZ this spring to busted water pipes and wet floors. After floors and sheetrock onlower parts of walls was ripped out I had to run dehumidifiers and high volumn fans for nearly 2 weeks. Electric was less than $350. I think that was the first time it exceeded $90. Winter makes up for it; propane for house and shop heat, each around 1800 sq.ft. Shop kept at 40 when not using it. Once got a propane bill of >$800 for 5 weeks.
Posted By: EdM Re: Electric bill high card draw - 08/29/23
Originally Posted by 79S

Pard same here..

Ditto. I manage what comes in and she manages what goes out.
Originally Posted by DHN
Got home from AZ this spring to busted water pipes and wet floors. After floors and sheetrock onlower parts of walls was ripped out I had to run dehumidifiers and high volumn fans for nearly 2 weeks. Electric was less than $350. I think that was the first time it exceeded $90. Winter makes up for it; propane for house and shop heat, each around 1800 sq.ft. Shop kept at 40 when not using it. Once got a propane bill of >$800 for 5 weeks.

I had 1200 for a month once.
88 dollars here in Wyoming , I have one window unit ac that runs 24-7 at full giddy up. My bedroom is cold enough that Texans would need long johns and wool blankets....
Okay Mr. McMansion.....

Should add that we budget $40 per month for BGE charcoal!
© 24hourcampfire