Home
Primers have been finally coming down and becoming available. At what price will you buy them these days. I don't know if we'll ever see $25-$40/1000 with Biden dollars.

I found some today at a local shop for $59/1000. They had cci and Federal in small rifle, small rifle mag, large pistol, small pistol, and small pistol mag. They let me buy 6000 so I did. I'd been thinking if I find them under $60 I'd buy again. If the hit $40 I'll back up the truck.

What's your buy price and back up the truck price these days?

Bb
I’ve got enough but I think I’m still averaging about $10/1000.

If I see them under $50 or thereabouts I’ll pick up some more.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Primers have been finally coming down and becoming available. At what price will you buy them these days. I don't know if we'll ever see $25-$40/1000 with Biden dollars.

I found some today at a local shop for $59/1000. They had cci and Federal in small rifle, small rifle mag, large pistol, small pistol, and small pistol mag. They let me buy 6000 so I did. I'd been thinking if I find them under $60 I'd buy again. If the hit $40 I'll back up the truck.

Bb

I was in your part of Idaho week and half ago went to several lgs in Idaho falls and rexburg and I didn’t see any primers for less than 90 bucks a 1k. Varget 60 bucks a lb. One shop had h4831 $520 for a 8lber.
Bb, you did pretty good all the primers you mentioned around here been availible for about 6 months.75 to 85/ brick. The real trick is large rifle size std or Magnum any brand. Last Sept I lucked into a sleave of RP 9 1/2 LR for 350 or 70/1000. Couple of weeks ago the local Scheels had about 10 sleaves of cci-34 they lasted less than 2 days at 125 / 1000. Last Saturday I found some cci-34's at a gunshow for 90. I don't think we will ever see them less than 50/1000 again unless a guy finds a scalper bailing on his stash. I shoot more than most people I have all sizes and types but not in every brand. When they get to 50 /1000 again I'll restock..mb
Lowest online price seems to be $69./1000, at last weekend's gunshow CCI were $80./1000.
I was in a shop this past weekend and the had Winchester WLR primers for $5.99/100. Limit was 5. I picked up 5. First time I have seen large rifle primers in a long time
I have all I need. Stocked up about 10 years ago. I won’t be buying any more, ever.
I’m a campfire newshound, a 20 round box Core-Lokts lasts me 47 years.
Saw one brick of CCI LR BR primers at Bass Pro Sunday. Just one. $159

It looked like it had been there a while. People had picked that brick up, pondered….and put it right back down apparently many times.

I didn’t bother to even pick it up…
I recently got Remington large rifle for 85/1000. Now the gun-shop has them for 80/1000. I’ll guess they never go to 60.00 retail. My Dillon burns them up quick, so I am just glad to have a supply.
I really don't "need" any primers right now, but I will buy if the price isn't to far above $60/1000
Still burning through stuff I bought before the halfrican.

Ill find out soon what my buy number will be.
In my neck of the woods large rifle primers are scarce in the local shops. I would love to find some for $60/1000.
I can't even remember when I bought primers the last time....think it was at least 6-8 years ago I know they were cheep.....I'am starting to get down to 50'000 or so....hope when i start to get real low prices are below $40-$50 a brick....

Bb

Same for me at those prices
I need some LR. Havent seen any in some time. I would pay up to $70 per 1000. I have over 5000 LR Magnums on hand that I can use but would have to revamp my loads which I dont want to do.
$40 per brick seems steep to me.

But, copper wire was invented when two Dutchmen found a penny....
Noticed a big stack of Federal Gold Match 210's at Fleet Farm recently for $10.50/100. Grabbed 1000. The way I look at it is I've paid more. All of a sudden, $10.50 seems pretty good. No such thing as deflation so I don't ever expect to find them for half of this.

Bb

IF you NEED them, the time to buy them is when you see them.
Originally Posted by Dutch
$40 per brick seems steep to me.

But, copper wire was invented when two Dutchmen found a penny....

My MIL frequently called my FIL a square headed Dutchman.
For as much as I load I have enough for quite a while. I mostly load small rifle. But $50, I'm buying no matter what I need.
I'll buy more at $30/thou or under.
Large rifle primers for sale here in the classifieds.
Black Sheep in CDA had a pretty good selection, all at $79/brick.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’m a campfire newshound, a 20 round box Core-Lokts lasts me 47 years.

So, you’re on your third box of Corr-lokts now?
I'm tempted to go buy more today. If the price is ok I think primers are better than money in the bank. The only thing I don't like about Federal is they come in larger boxes and take up more room in storage. I have a decent supply because I don't shoot as much as I used to but they are a hard asset that can be traded in tough times.

I still have some 1000 count boxes that I paid $3.99 for about 20 years ago when sportsmans clearanced all cci's in aps straps. My favorite hand primer uses aps straps so that works well for me. Just used a few strips of cci 400s today loading some 6 arc with 108 eldms for the ar. I finally found a 1/2 moa load for my aero 6 arc so I'll be burning more primers through it.

Bb
I think I have enough to take me out
Well, my "will buy" price has went up the last few years. The most I think I've gave for any is $12.00 a hundred. Yeah, I know.......... But, I saw some for $19,99 a hundred once.
Originally Posted by hanco
I think I have enough to take me out

Yep. I found another 7000 small and large pistol primers (standard and magnums) in a bin under a bed up here. I haven't handloader here for a number of years.
I stocked up after the first time.
I won't live long enough to use them up. There will plenty left for my son.
Listen guys, we're all still friends. Just be happy they let us have BB guns.

PS-Fishing is fun.
Using my current inventory

Paid $165/case of 5K shipped in the good ole days 8-9 yrs ago

Prob the same time I bought Trailboss powder
Originally Posted by dale06
I have all I need. Stocked up about 10 years ago. I won’t be buying any more, ever.

I’m in the same boat! I stocked up many years ago. I’m still shooting Winchester primers in all sizes in white boxes!!
Haven't bought primers in a store in 30 years. Used to wait for gun shows but they are no better now so it's mail order.
Really don't need any for a while.
Topic is primers and the resident morons are talking about bullets and BB guns !
Burleyboy: I have a "lifetime supply" of all the types of primers I use!
BUT.... I would drive down to Idaho to buy Federal Small Rifle "Match" primers if they have them at $59.00 per 1,000!
Let me know.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by deflave
Listen guys, we're all still friends. Just be happy they let us have BB guns.

PS-Fishing is fun.
Fish CAmp
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Burleyboy: I have a "lifetime supply" of all the types of primers I use!
BUT.... I would drive down to Idaho to buy Federal Small Rifle "Match" primers if they have them at $59.00 per 1,000!
Let me know.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The match primers and some of the other brands were more money. I didn't look close enough at what they were but the others ranged from $7.99 to maybe 11.99. I'm guessing the match if they had them were the more money ones. If you guys have Cal Ranch stores up there that's were I got them. There were at least 6 different Federal and cci at $5.99/100 because I bought 1000 of each that were that price.

I believe I have a new brick if Federal gold metal match small rifle in the basement but I wouldn't sell them much under current replacement cost anymore. I sold a lot to friends the last few years at $40/1000 and regret it now. It's a newer brick bought in about 2019 from sportsmans.

If you need them bad I'll work something reasonable out for you but it would be more than $59. We were just I'm montana at Fairmont for 3 days but might go back up in a month. Most of my loads use cci41s or cci 400s. The only Federal I normally run is the 215 match in my 28 nosler.

Bb
SW had CCI 400's for $5.49/100. Bought a brick. Another Local shop had CCI 200's $9.99/100 Bought a brick of those also. Somewhere between those 2 I suppose is what I'll pay.
$45/1k
When they drop below $45-$50 per 1K. More than that I don't need them, probably wouldn't ether way. I did pay as much as $65 before they got unobtainable just to pad what I had.
Primers are like diesel fuel...if I need it I will pay what the market is asking!!!!Plain and simple.
Okay, time to lay this to rest.

You only think you are desperate...sold on USED GUNS today (not by me, if they were mine I would have kept them).

[Linked Image]
I have been shooting and reloading for over sixty years. I have been gunsmithing and shooting competitively for fifty years. I will stop shooting centerfire competitions if I have to pay 150 bucks for a brick of primers. I keep a thousand or so for a potential SHTF scenario, but apart from that, I'll use what I have, then I'm done. I have enough ammunition to hunt for the rest of my life. I have an aversion to getting ripped off and we are getting ripped off. By the way, it isn't Bush's fault, Obama's fault, Trump's fault or even Biden's fault. They aren't profiting from the sale of primers, but some are. GD
If you can't find standard primers, take a look at your load data. With a slight decrease in powder you can often use magnums, especially in the larger calibers. They tend to be more available. If your loads are on the mild side, you likely won't need to adjust the powder load at all.
I think those of you waiting on primers to go back to "Normal" prices are in for a long long weight.
As long as there are people willing to pay high prices, we are in for a long wait. GD
I guess I'll pay the best price I have to pay when I finally run out of the stash I bought right after Sandy Hook happened. Until then, all y'all can fight over these price gouged nearly extinct primers these days.
I have enough primers to last a while.

Meanwhile, I bought a Brown Bess. 75 cal/11 Gauge bore. It fires ball, shot, pea gravel, whatever. I can dig flint from a local road cut and I bought a lifetime's worth of sulphur and potassium nitrate. When that latter peters out, I know how to make it from grass clippings and urine.

I'm about to do the burn for my first batch of charcoal. I also have a cache of lead that's good well into the next generation.

My finished product will be Revolutionary War-level black powder-- perfect for the 'Bess. Once it's made, it will store for 100 years or more. They improved the process after 1800 and what you know now as BP is about 25% more powerful. If I take what I'm making and run it through a hydraulic press, dry it, and regrind it, I can probably match Goex or Swiss.
I bought a case of 5000 small pistol primers this spring to feed my Lee 6000.

Them boys like shooting 38's.

You got a break on the case....shipping or hazmat...can't remember.

I think it was 90 bucks a thousand to my door.

Watching them boys smile is worth the money.
Oh and by the way....I saw the shortage coming so I stashed away all the beef and lamb I would need to last me a life time.

You would be stupid not to.
Originally Posted by pyscodog
I think those of you waiting on primers to go back to "Normal" prices are in for a long long weight.

That's why I made sure I had enough that I can wait. If they get cheap enough I'd likely add some more for a just in case. If they never do, I'm good.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Oh and by the way....I saw the shortage coming so I stashed away all the beef and lamb I would need to last me a life time.

You would be stupid not to.

Hoarder!
© 24hourcampfire