Home
Posted By: Whelenman Air friers - 08/31/23
What type do you guys have and do you like it. We’re thinking about getting one.
Posted By: bjc68 Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
My son bought us one a few years ago, we ended up using it alot. We replaced it with a large toaster size unit that also has a convection feature. We use this alot! It is another thing to keep clean, but having it as an oven/ convection oven, toaster and air fryer makes it convenient. The toaster feature is actually very consistent, and doesn't turn bread into charcoal like our last toaster oven did. It's probably 2 years old, but it’s a Cuisinart. Good luck!
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Emeril Lagasse. It's a convection oven that does it all. Toasts, bakes, broils, fries, dehydrates, even has a rotisserie.
Posted By: deflave Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Get that one.
Posted By: Knarley_Bob Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Wife has a Farberware. Works great, even does hard boiled eggs in it.
Posted By: Hardwoodmaterials Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
I'm not sure what brand we have but I know it gets used a lot. The kids are 7 and 8 and they use it to make their own lunch and snacks. Most things need a little spray of oil if you want it to come out crispy.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Ninja here. We use it a fair amount. Does fried chicken, fries, etc. they turn out great and less mess than the deep fryer. Healthier too.
Posted By: JPro Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Ours is a NuWave 15.5qt front-load air fryer. We've only had it a few months, but I like the removable trays and the large capacity.
Posted By: ModelT Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Well jumping Jehoshaphat! How does such a contraption work?
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Ninja Foodi
Posted By: country_20boy Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Emeril Lagasse. It's a convection oven that does it all. Toasts, bakes, broils, fries, dehydrates, even has a rotisserie.

We have the same and we use it multiple times per day, every day. We replaced our traditional toaster with the Emeril and it probably gets used more than the oven, stove, and microwave combined.....
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

We have the same and we use it multiple times per day, every day. We replaced our traditional toaster with the Emeril and it probably gets used more than the oven, stove, and microwave combined.....

Same
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
We've been using a Walmart black Friday cheapo for several years, at least 5 years. I'm not sure I've eaten a single thing cooked in it but my wife and daughters have. They mostly cook chicken strips, fries and wedges which are things I don't typically eat. It gets used 3 days a week probably so I'm surprised it's still working, it was probably $29 or something. Or possibly $19
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
I don't care for them. They don't really hold enough and it's just something to clog up a shelf. If you really want one, get an oven with that feature.
Posted By: aalf Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
I bought this one from Wally World. Use it for burgers, brats, frys, warming pizza, etc. I'll buy another when this one dies.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gourmia-Digital-4-Qt-Air-Fryer/192126637?fulfillmentIntent=Shipping
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
They rock for chicken. Whole chickens and wings are about the only use ours see.

It’s a ninja unit of some sort. Has worked fine for the last 4or 5 years.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Ninja here. We use it a fair amount. Does fried chicken, fries, etc. they turn out great and less mess than the deep fryer. Healthier too.

Finally got tired of the "Minister of Finance" looking at the dang things everytime we went to Walmart! 😖
She picked out the Ninja one.
Must say, it took a bit of experimenting to get it right, but she worked it out!
We both like fried foods!
This thing:
A) doesn't heat up the kitchen so badly
B) uses a LOT less oil than a skillet or deep fryer
C) makes some of the best french fries I think I've ever eaten! 😋
D) doesn't take up a lot of space

One of my favorite breakfasts, especially in cooler weather, is tater tots fried up crispy with a big old fat over medium egg with a runny yellow over the top!
That and a cup of hot, black coffee! 😜

The Ninja does a fantastic job of "frying"!
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: joken2 Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Air fryer - Convection oven --- Basically the same thing.

Many kitchen ranges manufactured over the past decade or so already have a convection cooking feature built-in.

Basically both are just cooking same as always but with a fan blowing inside oven / air fryer to circulate heat.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
I don't know, but it is not shaped like a toaster oven, it's round. We don't use it much, just reheating some things.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by joken2
Air fryer - Convection oven --- Basically the same thing.

Many kitchen ranges manufactured over the past decade or so already have a convection cooking feature built-in.

Basically both are just cooking same as always but with a fan blowing inside oven / air fryer to circulate heat.

Exactly. "Air fryer" is such a stupid, stupid name for them. They think people are too stupid to handle the truth, lol, like calling a chicken tender a "boneless wing".
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
We use ours very little. Our air frier is built into the stove, oven does ,bake, air fry, and convection. Chicken is the only real thing I like air fried, so far. We have only had the stove a few months. Time will tell how much it gets used.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
We have a Ninja but just about any brand would do. It does a good job on frozen fries and chicken strips. Stuff like that. Nobody could ever beat my grandmother for fried chicken.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
I think they would be handy for a retired couple or something.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
They are so simple for whole chickens.

Season it up and breast down for at about 360 for 40 minutes, flip it over and go another 20.
Perfect crispy roast chicken.

It’s not like turning on the oven is a chore, but I swear AF chicken is better. IMO at least.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin

Ninja is what we have. It's not a basket or round, it's like a toaster oven. The kids use it constantly to heat up food. We got rid of toaster because it's also a toaster.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
been thinkin' about gettin' one of those thins'... but don't they become a greasy black hole of stinky goo with alot of use?...
Posted By: Terryk Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Wife bought me a pretty expensive one for Christmas about 5 years ago. Still in the box.
We just picked 5 buckets of potatoes, so she said she will break it open and try French fries.
I like no clutter, so I hate new/more stuff.
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Ninja Foodi
This. I went through three of the cheaper ones (they all lasted about two years) then bit the bullet on the Ninja Foodi. Bought it on black Friday from Boscov's on sale for $150 then they gave me a 50 dollar credit. It's normally 199.99, I think it's a Foodi 3, but not sure.

I use mine all the time.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
I have an instapot vortex air fryer. Does similar functions as Emerils air fryer. Emerils looks better.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by High_Noon
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

hahaha that is funny!

We bought a NINJA Foodi Compact, Foodi 9-in-1 Pressure, Slow Cooker air Air Fryer. Model #OP101C

It is fantastic, everything we have cooked in it has been cooked to perfection. The Fries are fantastic, no more deep frying and all the oil and cleanup that goes with it, have you seen the price of Canola Oil these days?

Some people say to cook your fries and to coat them lightly in Oil, I do not use any oil at all, completely unnecessary, even the ones you buy frozen at the store are great!

It has a timer so you can set it and forget it. I wish I had bought one years ago!

A couple of weeks ago I made a Chicken Cacciatore diner, winner-winner Chicken Diner.

Two Thumbs Up smile
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Yes, the Foodi 9 in 1.

Tater Tots
French Fries
Onion Rings
Pot Roast
Pulled Pork
Vegetable Beef Soup
Stews
Pintos w/ ham
Chile

It is amazing what 10 to 15 minutes at pressure will do for a roast or dry beans.
Posted By: doubleDs55 Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
We use ours a lot for chicken thighs, wings, fries, tots, it will crisp up everything. Also good on frozen burgers, brats. crazy fast & good.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Initial excitement. Tried a few things. Messier than other options. Other options just as good or better. Lots of recipes for things we don't care to try. Very little help on just plain cooking things. Tired of dragging it out. Now residing on storage shelf more or less as a permanent guest.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Initial excitement. Tried a few things. Messier than other options. Other options just as good or better. Lots of recipes for things we don't care to try. Very little help on just plain cooking things. Tired of dragging it out. Now residing on storage shelf more or less as a permanent guest.

Complete 180 of my experience.

Guess that’s something else to argue about in future threads lol
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Ninja Foodi

Looks like we're gonna be invited over for a Nugget feast!!

No offense to nugget......
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by rainshot
We have a Ninja but just about any brand would do. It does a good job on frozen fries and chicken strips. Stuff like that. Nobody could ever beat my grandmother for fried chicken.

LOL! My grampa was born in 1893.
When he signed up for military service in 1918, his teeth were bad and the Army pulled them and gave him dentures. From the time I remember him in the 1950's, he NEVER wore his dentures. The man could eat Fritos!

My grandmother would fry her chicken in a skillet just like everybody else.
THEN......she put it in a pressure cooker so it would be tender for grampa! Her "breading" was always mushy!
My mom could fry chicken that would have made Col. Sanders cry! LOL!
Well, I thought anyway!
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Another vote for the Ninja Foodi.

Air fry some foods, slow cook others, pressure cook my beans. I too was able to find mine on sale - just over a C-note IIRC. My electric range went tits up a couple months ago. Had the foodi and never really skipped a beat while waiting for the replacement.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Ninja Foodi. Everything from leftover pizza to baked potatoes come out great. I've cooked great steaks in it. Doesn't heat your whole damn house up like an oven does and doesn't make chit soggy like a microwave. Ours gets used enough it stays on the counter. Clean up is a simple matter of wiping down the unit and washing the basket and pot. Takes all of about two minutes.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Air fryer is the only way she cooks bacon now
Posted By: Torqued Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
They're the best way possible to reheat leftover pizza
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Air friers - 08/31/23
Originally Posted by Whelenman
What type do you guys have and do you like it. We’re thinking about getting one.

Bezos store has 'em

$65 will get ya a small one but works well

Left over pork spare ribs & baked 'taters in an air fryer

Are better than the day before

French fries oh yea

Fish filets oh yea

Cinnamon rolls oh yea
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Air friers - 09/01/23
This is the best thing I've cooked so far in the air fryer. 15 minutes and toss them around a couple of times during the cook to get them browned evenly.

https://www.costcuisine.com/post/costco-kirkland-signature-breaded-panko-shrimp-review

Remove the skrimps and dump in a pile of Rally Fries. 8-9 minutes and toss them around a couple of times as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Checkers-Rally-s-Famous-Seasoned-Fries-28-oz-Frozen/10824304
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Air friers - 09/01/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I think they would be handy for a retired couple or something.
Must be why my wife likes ours so much.

Cooked some tasty chicken breasts in it tonight. Mostly what it gets used for as she's been on a chicken kick since a Dr appt a few months back. I get to cook my own real meat stuff.

Gormia brand, large size, maybe 8 qt?

She loves the dang thing...............happy wife, happy life and alla that jazz.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Air friers - 09/01/23
We eat a lot of chicken. My wife loves her air fryer. When I cook it, I use the small table top gas grill that sits on the deck just outside the kitchen door.
© 24hourcampfire