Home
In before ABQ.

Boham always had the heaviest foot. This young lady Sarah Tomek has my attention. She plays like Animal from the muppets and is easy on the eye. Kinda fell in love with her whilst pressed up against the stage at a Samantha Fish show last fall.

What's up Higgz? Starting the Labor Day weekend early?
Yeah man. Enjoying the nice cool down. Working on paper work this am and stirring schidt on the 24hcf for a few minutes.

Dove spot went bye bye so no big plans Monday unfortunately.

Breaking in a new drummer Sunday for a few gigs we have coming up.

How about you man?
I can smell that fish from here. (In a good way!)
Bonham is the best, but my favorite is Moonie.
It's gonna be a quiet weekend and hopefully not have to go into town dodging burners coming off the playa. Got my fun in last weekend in Healdsburg seeing my favorite band Larkin Poe for the ninth time.
Huge Bonham fan, but got to give props to the 1 armed drummer from Def Leppard...Rick Allen

I like anything with Dave Grohl on percussion.
No love for Karen Carpenter?
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Huge Bonham fan, but got to give props to the 1 armed drummer from Def Leppard...Rick Allen

Yep.

Interestingly enough, the story I always heard was that he was in a Ferrari.

Turns out - it was a vet.
Originally Posted by Morewood
No love for Karen Carpenter?

Bit thin on the bass for my taste.
Thats a great vid, listen too a few times a year. But according to Carmen Appice, Bohnam ripped him and off and copied him.
This is getting it done too
I like Bill Ward better.
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

Safest band to airdrum to while driving, can keep one hand on the steering wheel
Danny Carey. Worth the watch. When you figure out the timing, let me know....

Posted By: 79S Re: John Bonham vs. Everybody else - 09/01/23

Joey Castillo
Or if you want speed and brutality....

[video:yahoo]
[/video]
Never understood the bonham hype. I think it’s because he died. I like Vinny appice when he played with Dio. I also think he was better than bill ward as well.
Neil Peart no doubt but several mentioned here are way up there.
Bonham could play a tune with drums instead of just making noise.
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Never understood the bonham hype. I think it’s because he died. I like Vinny appice when he played with Dio. I also think he was better than bill ward as well.

If you played drums you would "get" the Bonham hype.
^^^^^ this. Bonham has the best fills EVER.

I am not into GOAT as far as musicians Used to be. Played for decades and loved Moon because banging to the Who was fun and made Friends think you were good. You learn differently at how difficult it is to develop a personal style that isn't calculated. Don't think I ever did in reality . So my take now now is that all offer something. Some more unique than others but I can appreciate them all for who they are and what they bring.

By the way, "Vinnie" Appice? ??
He Died in the fire at The Station nightclub in Rhoad Island along with 100 other souls.

I think Carl Palmer of Emerson Lake & Palmer could hold his own against any rock drummer of that era. Listen to his solo from Karn Evil 9 starting at about the 2:43 mark.

Originally Posted by Upperplainsman
Bonham could play a tune with drums instead of just making noise.

Awesome post and more to my point.

If you watch the clip I posted, you can hear the melody!

There are scads of great drummers, doing flashy tricks, copying TOOL or putting on a clinic for other drummers all over Youtube.

Big yawn.
Posted By: EdM Re: John Bonham vs. Everybody else - 09/01/23
Originally Posted by jpr9954
I think Carl Palmer of Emerson Lake & Palmer could hold his own against any rock drummer of that era. Listen to his solo from Karn Evil 9 starting at about the 2:43 mark.

Beat me to it.
Playing w/ Miles and the boys you have to be good. Tony Williams and Jack de Johnette led the way for true percussionists.

mike r
Peart all day.
No love for Ginger?
Originally Posted by hillestadj
No love for Ginger?

Ginger, Moon, Mitchell were all monsters.
When Beck died I did a dive back into his seminal stuff.

Narada Michael Walden is a sick pup on Led Boots, also one of my favorite Beck guitar solo’s @ 1:25:

The best drummer I ever recorded in my studio is Jason Mcgerr, now with Death Cab. His level of control was amazing. One song , I used a minimalist mic setup (3 mics, 2 of them in omni) on his kit, for the amazing sound, but you lose some control that way. But no worries; I could just ask him to go a bit easier on the cymbals but put a little more edge on his tom hits and it was like I was sliding faders on the board.
His son Jason can play exactly like his old man.
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

BS.
I could say Phil Rudd and most people wouldnt know who I was talking about.
My Point being if you are considered a top 50 rock band, you had a great drummer.
There might be differences in technique, but make no mistake, you had a bad ass drummer.
There is no covering up a decent drummer..
Originally Posted by Higginez
No love for Ginger?

Ginger, Moon, Mitchell were all monsters.

^^^^^
Butch and Jaimo were bad azz together.
Originally Posted by kenjs1

By the way, "Vinnie" Appice? ??

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
When Beck died I did a dive back into his seminal stuff.

Narada Michael Walden is a sick pup on Led Boots, also one of my favorite Beck guitar solo’s @ 1:25:

The best drummer I ever recorded in my studio is Jason Mcgerr, now with Death Cab. His level of control was amazing. One song , I used a minimalist mic setup (3 mics, 2 of them in omni) on his kit, for the amazing sound, but you lose some control that way. But no worries; I could just ask him to go a bit easier on the cymbals but put a little more edge on his tom hits and it was like I was sliding faders on the board.

Badass!

Marco Minnemann makes John Bonham look like a beginner
There was a reason Mike Lee was drumming and Jason Bonham wasn't on this one.

Holy schidt, what a bad ass!

love the Bonham shuffle. His ability to add ghost notes is way underrated.
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
Danny Carey. Worth the watch. When you figure out the timing, let me know....

I’m not a drummer but it seems like it would be even harder to play like he does being as big as he is. I heard a recent interview where he was saying he didn’t want to wait too long to make another album because he didn’t know how long he would be able to continue drumming at that level.
Originally Posted by ribka

love the Bonham shuffle. His ability to add ghost notes is way underrated.

Love Bonham. Ginger Baker, Carl Palmer and Neil Peart are right up there
Originally Posted by LeeC
My Point being if you are considered a top 50 rock band, you had a great drummer.
There might be differences in technique, but make no mistake, you had a bad ass drummer.

Phil Rudd was a stone cold machine
Ritchie Albright and Levon Helm
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Ritchie Albright and Levon Helm

Now you've done it.
No love for Ginger?

Bonham took lessons from Ginger

“If you have a great band with a mediocre drummer, you have a mediocre band. If you have a mediocre band with a great drummer, you have a great band!”

— Duke Ellington
Originally Posted by Chisos
No love for Ginger?

Interesting doc out there about Ginger called Beware Mr. Baker - worth a watch on a lazy day.
little competition for Bonham ...
Originally Posted by Chisos
No love for Ginger?

Interesting doc out there about Ginger called Beware Mr. Baker - worth a watch on a lazy day.

It was interesting.
Interesting thing about Cream was that Clapton was by far the least talented musician in the bunch.
Many who knew him say Baker was certifiably crazy.
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

BS.

Whatever.
http://rockandrollgarage.com/sammy-hagar-says-jason-bonham-is-as-good-as-his-father-john/

Ask Jimmy Page while you're at it.
Uh, no.
Originally Posted by granitestate1
Many who knew him say Baker was certifiably crazy.
Many who DIDN'T know him said the same thing.
Ginger Baker, Levon Helm and Dino Danelli.
I think there’s a difference between what an audience wants from a drummer vs. what bandmates want. I played in, I dunno, less than a dozen bands back in the day and a few had good drummers. From the perspective of a guitar player, what matters is that they own the beat, without being overbearing about it. Everything else is fluff.

There’s also some some subtle stuff non-musicians might not realize are happening, but can certainly “feel”. Good drummers are not metronomes. They push, and pull, the tempo based on the needs of the song.

And then there’s locking in with the bass player.

For whatever reason I always stood with the drummer to my left… so now my left ear goes “eeeeeeeeeeee” 24/7/365. That damn crash cymbal, haha.
Here’s a song with some really slippery and cool percussive elements… but most of them aren’t coming from the drummer. He’s laying back, pulling the beat ever so slightly, and letting the song breathe. That’s a good drummer.

Then there’s just laying down a flat BRUTAL drum groove and having the balls to hold that line:

Posted By: TBS Re: John Bonham vs. Everybody else - 09/02/23
Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Dennis Chambers, Billie Cobham, Steve Gadd are light years ahead of Bonham as are a dozen little japanese girls that make the boys look bad.
Check out a youtube of Senri Kawaguchi and see what real drumming is!

Real drumming?

You mean playing to a backing track on Youtube?

LOL

This Star Search/Americas Got Talent bullschidt is so lame, but old guys sure dig it.

Bonham hasn't made any new music for dang near 45 years and we're still talking about what a badass he was.
The fire’s music aficionados level of sophistication never fails to disappoint

Someone will be along soon to claim Charlie Watts was the greatest drummer in the world

😂😆🤣
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
In before ABQ.

I'm a huge fan of zep and bonham. Grew up on Gonzo.

That said, Neil Peart > every other rock drummer, and its not even close.

Lots of great drummers. Lots of emotional favorites. Peart was on a different level.
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
The fire’s music aficionados level of sophistication never fails to disappoint

Someone will be along soon to claim Charlie Watts was the greatest drummer in the world

😂😆🤣

My vote is for Pete Best "GOAT"
Originally Posted by goalie

I'm a bass player for 40 years. We sort of lock in with drummers. I get it.

Peart . A big gap. And then the Greats. And then everyone else.
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
I'm a huge fan of zep and bonham. Grew up on Gonzo.

So, you're a huge Muppets fan are ya? LOL
Wow! That little girl is second to nobody on drums!
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Phil Rudd was a stone cold machine
Yep! The human Metronome.
Terry Bozzio was pretty ok too.
Posted By: TBS Re: John Bonham vs. Everybody else - 09/03/23
LOL^^^
What some miss about Bonham, Page and John Paul Jones is their combined musicality. They played music so seamlessly that you they weren't constrained by notes,tempo and time signatures, they let the music flow. And as a listener, you were captivated by the music.

There are countless talented musicians he can play notes at whatever time signature and tempo you demand, but only the few greats reach the point where the music flows from them and all the instruments are playing together as one in service to the song. There are music students, teachers or theorists that will take shots about them being sloppy, but they miss the point, or rather they have lost the ability to hear music as opposed to breaking it down into it's components and structure.
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by goalie

I'm a bass player for 40 years. We sort of lock in with drummers. I get it.

Peart . A big gap. And then the Greats. And then everyone else.

Yeah I get that. I love watching Jeff Beck when Vinnie and Tal played for him. I'm glad I got to see him last fall even with that insufferable Johnny Depp before he passed.
Originally Posted by TBS

LOL^^^

Only a completely ignorant moron would laugh at that video

Thanks for the confirmation

👍🏼
LOL^^^
Posted By: TBS Re: John Bonham vs. Everybody else - 09/03/23
Just to prove Bohnam was nothing really special.

LMAO!!!! ^^^^^
© 24hourcampfire