Home
Posted By: simonkenton7 No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/04/23
Netflix just announced that they no longer will rent movies, as DVDs, by mail. The program will shut down Sept. 10
After that, if you have a Netflix DVD that you rented, you can keep it.

THE DVD by mail is what got Netflix started, 25 years ago, and it is what put Blockbuster out of business. Blockbuster was sticking with videotapes rented from brick and mortar stores, and Blockbuster went down with the ship with their videotapes.

Remember videotapes? As extinct as the dinosaur.
And now, the DVD is also extinct.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/04/23
I thought they quit that years ago.
Posted By: deflave Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/04/23
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Just announced as in 18 months ago. They stopped adding new release movies around May of this year. That's when I canceled mine.
Yeah, I still got DVDs as they have every new release and that's not something you can easily find to stream without renting. Service hasn't been great the last couple of years since they consolidated all the fill centers.
Posted By: tzone Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/04/23
I didn’t even know they did that anymore
Posted By: Jericho Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/04/23
tons of DVDs in the pawn shops here and they are priced cheap
Posted By: Kenneth Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/04/23
I had to check the date of this thread,

DVDs from Netflix, thought that went out a decade ago.
I don't know many people that still have DVD players. I know the pawn shops around here sells them for around $1 each and they run special sells on them all the time.
Stressing about no dvds has boomer written all over it.
Posted By: deflave Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/04/23
Originally Posted by losttrail60

Why are you afraid of BillyGoatGruff?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/04/23
Originally Posted by deflave

Well, he has half a lick of sense.
"Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos wrote in a news release that the DVD mailing was ending because it "continues to shrink" now that streaming has overtaken DVD players. The service peaked at 40 million subscribers, according to the company.
Aug 18, 2023"
Dang, first Blockbuster goes out of business, now this.

If only there was a way to watch movies without DVDs or VHS tapes.
Be kind.
Please rewind.
Pretty easy to spot the people who never go anywhere without any type of internet service.
Posted By: Teal Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/05/23
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Pretty easy to spot the people who never go anywhere without any type of internet service.

When I go places without internet, I don't go to watch movies.

"Why do you like camp so much and how is it you come back in a good mood?"

No phone, no electricity, no internet and nothing but woods to screw around in. That's why I love it.
I haven't played a DVD in over a decade.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/05/23
Originally Posted by smokepole

Yup the Davos syndrome, you will own nothing and like it.
Still have my DVD player and VCR, just never bothered to throw them away. Got one video cassette and one DVD left to play on them.

Speaking of, does anybody know how to stop the VCR clock from flashing 12:00?
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/05/23
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
. . Speaking of, does anybody know how to stop the VCR clock from flashing 12:00?

Piece of black electrical tape covers it nicely
Originally Posted by Swifty52

LOL, we still have a VHS, DVD player, and a metric shìtload of tapes and disks. And like Teal said, when I'm off the grid I'm not watching movies.

But you can't expect Netflix to keep mailing disks when there's no market for it, which is the subject of the OP.
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
. . Speaking of, does anybody know how to stop the VCR clock from flashing 12:00?

Piece of black electrical tape covers it nicely

Yup, so does setting the clock to 12:01
What will Netflix do with their inventory?
Posted By: deflave Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/05/23
Originally Posted by ironbender
What will Netflix do with their inventory?

Have a yard sale in Oregon.

LOL

LOL, we still have a VHS, DVD player, and a metric shìtload of tapes and disks. And like Teal said, when I'm off the grid I'm not watching movies.

But you can't expect Netflix to keep mailing disks when there's no market for it, which is the subject of the OP.

I wasn’t dissing you bud.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/05/23
What's a Netflix?

Never heard of it.
Originally Posted by deflave

She also appears very askeered of Boomers.

I wasn’t dissing you bud.

What?? You must be new here.

You busted me for stressing. Where did you get your Phd in Psychology? By God you are sharp as a tack.

No, I have never rented a single movie from Netflix. Whether Netflix is billionaires, which they are, or if they are bankrupt makes little difference to me.

No, I am a student of history, I remember renting videotapes from Blockbuster, really enjoyed that, a Blockbuster store was a movie library with 5,000 movies on the shelf. Then, brick and mortar Blockbuster was annihilated by mail order DVDs from Netflix. Interesting to me how the new technology supplants the old.

We still have a couple dozen DVDs but haven't watched in a while.

Yeah, the WEF is phasing out physical media as a distribution method for the revolting Jewish propaganda many of you consume in great quantities. Makes sense.
Posted By: deflave Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/05/23
The cool thing about the DVD part of a subscription was that the titles were borderline limitless.

Which made Netflix an insane bargain.
If all movies/shows are streaming, they can eliminate the ones they don't like and you'll never get them back. Just like a virtual currency.
When Carol left, and I was on my own, I joined Netflix.
At the time they had a pile of those old Westerns that I grew up on.
I’d have 2 or 3 every weekend. The Searchers, Red River, Once Upon a Time, 3:10 To Yuma.
I ain’t gonna sugar coat it. For a while there I didn’t care if The Sun come up tomorrow. But those old Westerns kept me getting up in the morning, going to work, going hunting.
After while, I got my Schit back together, and as I did, those old Westerns started drying up. The Shootist and Winchester 73 were a available thru streaming, but the DVDs you couldn’t get!
I got to watching them Walmart bins, ordered quite a few from B&N.
It took a week to get them, but you can’t beat The Cheyenne Social Club and The Westerner, Hanging Tree for $5 clip!
I’ve built up quite a collection of Duke, Jimmy Stewart, Fonda, Glenn Ford, Bronson, Marvin, Eastwood. Hell, I even got Paint Your Wagon! grin
When I die, Ben’s gonna have a lotta crap he won’t know what to do with! grin
They’ll probably go to goodwill or the Salvation Army, And He’ll Never know the treasure he had and gave away! I wish I could get him to watch them.
Maybe if our kids had watched them Westerns, they’d know that if you stick it out, The Good Guys are gonna win! cool
7mm
The thing about videotapes, and I have watched a thousand of them, sometimes while rewinding the tape got spooled up and the thing was ruined. Then you had to duke it out with Blockbuster as to who was at fault. Also, you had to have a "cleaner" video to put in your deck once a month to "clean the heads" to assure good video quality.
If you left a videotape in your car for a couple days in the hot summer sun, in Georgia, it was fried and was destroyed. Take that up with Blockbuster.
Still the video and audio quality of video tapes was pretty good.

The DVD came out, largely via Netflix in 1998, none of those problems. The DVD was impervious to heat and the sound and video quality were superb. I thought DVDs were great! By sending these movies out via US Mail, Netflix destroyed Blockbuster, and Blockbuster was a billion dollar company.

Now the DVD is in the dustbin of history.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
If all movies/shows are streaming, they can eliminate the ones they don't like

No they can't.
If all movies/shows are streaming, they can eliminate the ones they don't like and you'll never get them back. Just like a virtual currency.

You could always start your own business, mailing out DVDs. And go bankrupt.

You could always start your own business, mailing out DVDs. And go bankrupt.

So you’re in favor of a digital currency and doing away with physical cash.
Netflix could never deliver Shogun Assassin, even though it was found on search.

Did I say that? Did I even reference digital currency in passing? Are you a corn farmer? You're really keen on straw men.

Tell me something, who is "they?"

This is about a business that's discontinuing an unprofitable business line because people have gone away from it in droves. Hell, the OP called it extinct." They" decided to cut their losses. If "they" could continue to make money mailing disks they'd do it.

Anyone who thinks it's a good business model can take over where they left off, the field is wide open.

They won't.
Originally Posted by Stickfight

No they can't.

Why not? Netflix chooses what content they carry.

Unless you mean they cannot unilaterally eliminate the shows from history. That obviously, is correct.
Posted By: DMc Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/06/23
I still see Redbox's. Guess they'll be the next dinosaur to go.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/06/23
Originally Posted by DMc
I still see Redbox's. Guess they'll be the next dinosaur to go.
The one in front of the Dollar General in town seems to get a lot of use.
Posted By: Teal Re: No More DVDs from Netflix - 09/06/23
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by Stickfight

No they can't.

Unless you mean they cannot unilaterally eliminate the shows from history. That obviously, is correct.

Netflix can also choose which DVD to carry as well. Streaming doesn't change that. To the original 2 quotes. Streaming doesn't suddenly give Netflix new control over content they didn't already have.

Did I say that? Did I even reference digital currency in passing? Are you a corn farmer? You're really keen on straw men.

Tell me something, who is "they?"

This is about a business that's discontinuing an unprofitable business line because people have gone away from it in droves. Hell, the OP called it extinct." They" decided to cut their losses. If "they" could continue to make money mailing disks they'd do it.

Anyone who thinks it's a good business model can take over where they left off, the field is wide open.

They won't.

You took my post and ran to left field with it, so I reciprocated.

Guess the pedal biking thread had you wound up lol
What pedal biking thread? The one I haven't been posting on?

Ran to the left, LOL that's just another bullsh*t strawman. What I did was point out that Netflix dropping an unprofitable service was capitalism in action, nothing else.

And that anyone who thinks there's still a market there is free to jump in and fill the void, again capitalism in action.
What pedal biking thread? The one I haven't been posting on?

Ran to the left, LOL that's just another bullsh*t strawman. What I did was point out that Netflix dropping an unprofitable service was capitalism in action, nothing else.

And that anyone who thinks there's still a market there is free to jump in and fill the void, again capitalism in action.

The expression is out of left field. I don’t believe it has political connotations. You are determined to have an argument where there is none.
My mistake. Maybe the pedal biking thread has you wound up?
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots

Netflix can't erase content from decentralized file shares.
I have around a thousand DVDs. I can live the rest of my life without streaming anything and still watch most of the best shows or movies ever filmed.
My mistake. Maybe the pedal biking thread has you wound up?

Lol. Maybe?
© 24hourcampfire