Home
Posted By: 12344mag Mekong Delta. - 09/05/23
The Historic Battles thread got me to thinking about my BIL and his time he spent on the Mekong Delta sweeping out the bad guys. I don't remember is he was on a PBR or a Swift Boat.

I was just wondering if any other members on here were involved in the Mekong Delta.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Mekong Delta. - 09/05/23
To young but Vietnam is on my travel itinerary
Posted By: MOGC Re: Mekong Delta. - 09/05/23
I had an uncle who was in the Brown Water Navy. He did two tours then started a third tour and got shot up pretty badly. Badly enough he was medically discharged. The few times I was around him he never talked about it that I can remember. Dad was a Korean War Navy man who served on a destroyer and was also wounded in action and I guess my uncle had shared some with him. Uncle Jim wasn't around much, evidently, he had a bad drinking problem and never really held a job. Uncle Jim seemed to make dad sad and pop was always taking up for him when he came up in conversations at family events.
Posted By: nmitchell Re: Mekong Delta. - 09/05/23
I spent my last 5 months with the 9th Inf. division in the Mekong Delta.
The thought of the "Plain of Reeds" still makes my hair stand up.

Neil
Posted By: memtb Re: Mekong Delta. - 09/05/23
M6 wife’s older brother was working the rivers on a boat! He passed away abou5 10 years ago from various heath issues……including cancer! He saw firsthand “Agent Orange” at work! 🤬 memtb
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Mekong Delta. - 09/05/23
My old man was in khe sang during the bombing campaigns. He never talked about it and took it to his grave. At his funeral, my mom produced half a dozen photos of him there I'd never seen.
Posted By: pal Re: Mekong Delta. - 09/05/23
Originally Posted by nmitchell
I spent my last 5 months with the 9th Inf. division in the Mekong Delta...

So was I. Jan/'67-Feb/'68 air-mobile 105 howitzers.
Posted By: Craigster Re: Mekong Delta. - 09/05/23
Never got that far south, my time was spent in I Corps.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Mekong Delta. - 09/05/23
I'd have to talk to my mom's brother ( uncle) to get the exact dates but he graduated high school 1967 and immediately was in the army. army Air corps dust off units plus some other special assignments I think. still living and we'll talk about it some..
Posted By: ronwethington Re: Mekong Delta. - 09/05/23
Reading a book right now...Steel My Soldiers’ Hearts...by Col. David Hackworth. The ninth saw some [bleep]!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Mekong Delta. - 09/05/23
I saw plenty of the Mekong, but much farther north than the delta. The top half of Cambodia. Plus some other major rivers that fed into it like the Tonle Sap and Tonle Kong. All were major highways for the NVA. Or were barriers and chokepoints for the Ho Chi Minh Highway for trucks. Rivers always meant business for us.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Mekong Delta. - 09/05/23
A very good friend of mine who worked for the town of Grand Lake was on a swift boat in the region. He used to tell some freaky stories. Both his brothers were also serving at the same time. The Mcginn brothers! That was a helluva war you guys did!
© 24hourcampfire