Home
Posted By: jaguartx Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/11/23
Lol the qtard listens to spomer too? Lol double down on stupid
I didnt even watch the video but from the title it seems that a boomer is saying the 6.5 Creedmoor is falling out of favor or popularity. Why does the boomer generation hate change? And that's an honest question, not trolling or trying to start shìt. My parents are boomers (dads dead now) but I witnessed it with them too.
Posted By: ERK Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/11/23
Well for one reason . Change brought us Obummer and Bidet. Case closed..Edk
Jag, just eat a dick
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Jag, just eat a dick

AOD, I'm just not interest in your favorite activities.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
I thought it was a some what interesting breakdown of all the cartridges similar and compared them quickly, I've seen a lot worse videos and it covered a lot of info.

And I don't own a 6.5.
Originally Posted by ERK
Well for one reason . Change brought us Obummer and Bidet. Case closed..Edk
Change brought us combustion engines, refrigeration, penicillin, and the internet too.

You take the good with bad.

I can’t think of a cartridge that I dislike. I like some better than others. The 6.5 CM is slightly underpowered with heavy for caliber bullets but it was designed for maximum inherent accuracy and velocity it a short action rifle and does pretty well. Nothing to hate even if you’re Swede kills deer just as dead.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
7mm-08 in control. Trust the plan.
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
I thought it was a some what interesting breakdown of all the cartridges similar and compared them quickly, I've seen a lot worse videos and it covered a lot of info.

And I don't own a 6.5.
But you stuck a cartridge in your throat just for giggles.
Posted By: deflave Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Originally Posted by chesterwy

LOL
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
I didnt even watch the video but from the title it seems that a boomer is saying the 6.5 Creedmoor is falling out of favor or popularity. Why does the boomer generation hate change? And that's an honest question, not trolling or trying to start shìt. My parents are boomers (dads dead now) but I witnessed it with them too.
I think we can agree that everybody resists change, we have all seen it in the workplace, or maybe a consumer product advertised as new and improved and seldom is. True, us old guys hate change...but we got some history to back us up. F'rinstance, when I was a young man starting a work career in the 60's, just shortly after the entry level job, if you had some enthusiasm and could learn, you could afford to get married, own a home, afford some kids, and have at least one late model car in the driveway, afford to go to the doctor when needed...anyway, you get it, the old middle class dream. That is all gone, too many reasons why, but it changed. Maybe we should have resisted change much more strongly in hindsight. Resisted the endless wars which gained nothing, resisted a space program which almost bankrupted us (for which we got...teflon), resisted millions of people riding social security that put nothing into it, feeding millions who could work but wouldn't, sending boatloads of money to countries we couldn't even find on a map....on and on. You can blame your problems on boomers, but I lived it, knew it was happening, and I'll be [bleep] if I knew how to stop it. Now I guess my take away from this would be, if you are doing OK, resist change for changes sake. And I sure hope the Creed doesn't die, because a customer stuck me with one, and right now I can't give it away at cost.
Posted By: SKane Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Ron is always well-spoken, pragmatic, reasoned and without a lot hype.

Would love to have a drink or six with him.
Posted By: deflave Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
I always liked Spomer’s articles.
Most of us don't hate change - we just see no practical, real advantage, of the recent changes.
I prefer getting closer to my prey. It's more fun and reduces the chance of things going haywire.
Posted By: tdoyka Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
i had the 6.5 CM in a TC Encore with 15", 16 1/4" and 23" MGM barrels. i fed the 6.5CM alot of 120gr and 140 gr Nosler BT and Hornady SST bullets and Superformance powder. i couldn't find load that goes over 1" at 100 yards. i killed a few deer with it and they are not special, just a boom, flop, dead deer.

i built for my youngest son a '16 Spanish Mauser in 6.5x55 (Numrich sporter barrel) and it will go 3/4 - 1 1/4"group at 100 yards (5 shots/bench) with 120gr Nosler BT and IMR-i forgot the powder.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

i'm one of those guys who don't care about celebrities, Spomer included.

i believe it was 2008 or 09 when MGM barrels came with the 6.5CM and i bought an TC Encore in 15" barrel. i thought at the time, that the 6.5CM would be a flash in the pan. boy was i wrong.
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Well the 30-06 has been around for 3-4 generations and is still good to kill anything in North America. The 308 came out in the mid-50's and it became a great cartridge. Now 60-100 years later the 6.5 is supposed to be better. Every backwoods store in North America will have these in stock for anyone that hunts, along with 22lr and 12 gauge shells. What does the Creedmore do, give you maybe 50 more yards of effective range. 99% of hunting is under 250 yards. Over than you need braces to hold steady enough to shoot something or shoot prone.
Posted By: Teal Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Well the 30-06 has been around for 3-4 generations and is still good to kill anything in North America. The 308 came out in the mid-50's and it became a great cartridge. Now 60-100 years later the 6.5 is supposed to be better. Every backwoods store in North America will have these in stock for anyone that hunts, along with 22lr and 12 gauge shells. What does the Creedmore do, give you maybe 50 more yards of effective range. 99% of hunting is under 250 yards. Over than you need braces to hold steady enough to shoot something or shoot prone.

Over the last several years, the ONLY ammo I consistently saw on the shelf was 6.5 Creed with the "normals" being missing. Smallest store I was in was about 15x20 tho in a town of 382.

Put a 100 rounds through the 30.06 in an afternoon, then the 6.5 Creed and get back to us on your newfound appreciation for the Creed. 😀
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Most of us don't hate change - we just see no practical, real advantage, of the recent changes.
I prefer getting closer to my prey. It's more fun and reduces the chance of things going haywire.
You’re missing the point.

I love old cartridges too. Not everything is about hunting or hunting inside of 300 yards.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Originally Posted by SKane

Originally Posted by deflave
I always liked Spomer’s articles.

+1 .......
Posted By: Sako Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
I bought a 6.5 in sako s20 because I got a great deal on it... very nice gun to shoot... incredibly accurate... the only 6.5 I have but I will still hunt with my 30-06 90% of the time... I do not know why so many people get butt hurt about change. FWIW, Ron only make videos to make money and the more controversial they are, the more views he gets and the more money he makes.
I've harvested a few truckloads of deer with a 6.5-06- - - - -never had one refuse to fall down because I wasn't using the latest fad cartridge. Most were bang/flop, no tracking kills.
Originally Posted by Houston 2
I hope that maingy, stray dog shows up tonite. I gotta new jar of Skippy
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Originally Posted by Teal

Over the last several years, the ONLY ammo I consistently saw on the shelf was 6.5 Creed with the "normals" being missing. Smallest store I was in was about 15x20 tho in a town of 382.

I noticed the same thing. I’ve never had a man-bun, but am thinking I need to invest in one for that reason alone. Obviously the gun makers and ammo makers know the drill. Come out with new cartridge and focus on that, leaving gaps in availability for old standbys leading to the sale of more new rifles and ammo.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by mark shubert
You’re missing the point.

I love old cartridges too. Not everything is about hunting or hunting inside of 300 yards.

I haven’t watched the video yet, but don’t just about all of Spomer’s videos relate to hunting with the various cartridges? And usually his comparisons are based off of manufacturer velocity/bc claims and some ballistic charts he created with some basic ballistics app.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23

I have hunted with him quite a bit in various places--and have also had a few drinks with him. Though he rarely drank much at all until a few years ago, when he started having some red wine at the end of the day. Our last "session" was just over a year ago in South Texas, where I had a few beers and he had maybe a standard bottle of red over 2-3 hours.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
It's a general over view of the strengths of the 6.5, but he does rate others high also...it's a fair assessment.

I have a 7mm-08 and a 260 Rem. which are essentially the same, and larger bore if I need them....so 6.5 won't be in my safe. My daughter shoots a .243, and is happy with it...so no need replacing it for her. She's hunted 2 years with me, killed 2 buck and 1 doe no problem.
It's a general over view of the strengths of the 6.5, but he does rate others high also...it's a fair assessment.

I have a 7mm-08 and a 260 Rem. which are essentially the same, and larger bore if I need them....so 6.5 won't be in my safe. My daughter shoots a .243, and is happy with it...so no need replacing it for her. She's hunted 2 years with me, killed 2 buck and 1 doe no problem.
Thanks, pard
Posted By: Puddle Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
The only reason I bought a 6.5 CM (well, actually 2 of them) was I had hunted a whole lotta NA animals with a 6.5 Swede over a span of more than 10 years. Then I gave away the Swede.

When the CM came out and I looked into it a bit, it was easy to see that the CM was simply a new-and-improved Swede, and that there was factory ammo everywhere.

Easy Button.

Based on my experience with the Swede, and if I didn't already have the CM's, I'd probably pick up a 6.5 PRC instead. But there's not enough difference between the CM & PRC in practical hunting terms for me to have both.
Originally Posted by Puddle
The only reason I bought a 6.5 CM (well, actually 2 of them) was I had hunted a whole lotta NA animals with a 6.5 Swede over a span of more than 10 years. Then I gave away the Swede.

When the CM came out and I looked into it a bit, it was easy to see that the CM was simply a new-and-improved Swede, and that there was factory ammo everywhere.

Easy Button.
Are you Pards with Jud? He got ran off, but should some back.
I have creedmoor it is somewhere in that bucket in they 338 Edge post, I never found there was enough difference from a 260 Remington which I have two of a sammi and an AI version. By far the best 6.5 I have found to be is the 6.5 X 55 Swede it has been around for ever and up until a few years ago you could by 100 pcs of Lapua brass for $69 Bucks. I also have a sami and an AI version in that chamber they Ai version holds almost 60gr of powder that is ought 6 "not a typo" territory.
I hope the 6.5 CM doesn't go the way of the "WSSM' .
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23

Put a 100 rounds through the 30.06 in an afternoon, then the 6.5 Creed and get back to us on your newfound appreciation for the Creed. 😀
I was at the range today with a 6.5 CM and a .338 Win Mag. Shooting the .338 back to back with the 6.5 CM really makes me appreciate how easy it is to shoot the Creedmoor!

On the other hand I like to use a variety of rifles, most of which have more recoil the the 6.5 CM, and I won't be getting rid of any of them.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Remember that the two engineers from Hornady set out to design a long range cartridge with less wind drift and recoil than the .308 Win.. There was no design for it to be a hunting round. But as a result, with some higher quality bullets, the hunting crowd took over and found it to be a very easy round to shoot, hand load and notch tags with. It appeared Spomer was trying to provoke a fictitious controversy where non exists. Too many writers like to "stir the pot" with these red herring podcasts or writing. Further, what's with his hype and snicker over some dislike for the 6.5CM? Jeez, shoot what the hell you like and what works for you. While I usually like his podcasts, this one was a loser.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
I bought a 6.5 CM because I like 6.5s. It is a Ruger American Predator. It has been the easiest rifle I have ever loaded for. It has put everything I have loaded for it in a 1 1/4 inch group or less. I don't know if it is the rifle or because it's a 6.5 CM. That certainly means a lot in these days of fewer primers and less powder.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
All of the calibers anyone needs are like a hundred years old and still performing better than they ever did.

I don’t give a rat’s ass what calibers folk gravitate to, test, detest, or wanna play with.

I’d take a 270 Win over the 6.5 CM. I also prefer a low SD flat based round, I think they have better take down.
Spomer has some good points.

Remember the Remington SAUMs of several flavors? The answer to every shooter's dreams.

Remember the Winchester WSMs? How about the WSSMs?

How about the Federal compact mags?

The 6.5-284 that every factory was chambering a few years ago?

How many others have come and gone in the last fifty years?

The 6.5 Creedmoor has a bunch of competition, faster, slower, newer, older. Someday the 6.5 Creed will join the ranks of the 30-30 as a perfectly fine and useable cartridge which has been displaced by the next "flavor of the week".

Who knows, it might even join the ranks of the 284 Win as a mother of several great wildcats.
Now they just keep wasting valuable primers on stupid shìt like the 350 and 400 legend.
Posted By: Stammster Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
I put the 6.5 Creedmoor in the same category as the 243 Win. A great round for women and kids.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
There is one thing I've found with the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5 PRC that I don't like compared to other cartridges I've used including 6.5s. It takes a lot more effort on the "out stroke" when sizing brass. Didn't happen with the .264. Doesn't happen with others .. .243, .308,etc. It's those two. Same procedures, same neck brushing, same lube, etc. All I can figure is it's a result of very much thicker brass in the case neck area.
"I’d take a 270 Win over the 6.5 CM. I also prefer a low SD flat based round, I think they have better take down."

I concur whole heartedly.
Originally Posted by T_O_M
There is one thing I've found with the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5 PRC that I don't like compared to other cartridges I've used including 6.5s. It takes a lot more effort on the "out stroke" when sizing brass. Didn't happen with the .264. Doesn't happen with others .. .243, .308,etc. It's those two. Same procedures, same neck brushing, same lube, etc. All I can figure is it's a result of very much thicker brass in the case neck area.
Thanks pard
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Originally Posted by Stammster
I put the 6.5 Creedmoor in the same category as the 243 Win. A great round for women and kids.

True, and laughable at the same time.
Posted By: devnull Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
It's not going anywhere. It offers much in the accuracy department and is mild mannered.
Anyone knocking the QueerMoor is afraid of their sexuality.

If you wanna know, PM Muglia .
Posted By: mathman Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Simple test: Size a piece of brass without the expander ball in place. Size one with the expander ball in place. Measure the outside diameter of the necks. The difference in the measurement will tell you how much the die over sizes the necks for that batch of brass.
Posted By: ipopum Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
I have come to like the 6.5 Creed. The 1 time fired brass makes very good 250 Sav. brass with just a little trimming the length after sizing.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23

And I don't own a 6.5.
This ^^

kwg
Posted By: EdM Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Scope and rings await install on my recently acquired Goen’s 6.5x55. First rifle in that diameter for me. On the topic, shoot whatever the hell you want.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
More BULLS HIT!!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23

LOL.
I own a couple 6.5 Cm's and while it's not my favorite I carry it a lot since my 7 and 9 year olds can shoot it well and it does a fine job on whitetail here. The boys can't handle the recoil of bigger rounds and it pokes a bigger hole than the 223 and 243.

Posted By: moosemike Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
I always liked Spomer. I subscribe to his channel. His titles are commonly just click bait
We don't hate change, but we do access it critically, and we don't buy the latest and greatest until we think it's better than what we already have. I suspect the 6.5 is slowing down because the magazine writers and the gun makers have convinced people that the newest is the best.
I"m 62, I love the easy button......the 6.5CM is the "its so freaking easy button" JeffO can even do it and he can barely open a box of bullets.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Originally Posted by EdM
Scope and rings await install on my recently acquired Goen’s 6.5x55. First rifle in that diameter for me. On the topic, shoot whatever the hell you want.
What scope and rings/bases have you decided to mount?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
I like rifles and I have an inquiring mind, so I like to try new rifles and cartridges even if they are redundant to rifles and cartridges that I already have experience with. I had a couple dozen rifles chambered in 256 Newton, 260, 6.5x55, and 6.5-284 before I bought my first 6.5 CM in 02/14, but I was curious to try it, so now I find myself with 18 of them.

My experience with the 6.5 CM on whitetails and coyotes has been the same as with all of the other cartridges that I shoot, put an expanding bullet into the lungs and the animals dies. IMO, the 6.5 CM's primary advantages over the other 6.5mm bore cartridges is the abundance of quality factory ammo, a particularly important consideration for the majority of hunters who aren't handloaders, and lots of relatively inexpensive and potentially accurate rifles chambered for it.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I like rifles and I have an inquiring mind, so I like to try new rifles and cartridges even if they are redundant to rifles and cartridges that I already have experience with. I had a couple dozen rifles chambered in 256 Newton, 260, 6.5x55, and 6.5-284 before I bought my first 6.5 CM in 02/14, but I was curious to try it, so now I find myself with 18 of them.

My experience with the 6.5 CM on whitetails and coyotes has been the same as with all of the other cartridges that I shoot, put an expanding bullet into the lungs and the animals dies. IMO, the 6.5 CM's primary advantages over the other 6.5mm bore cartridges is the abundance of quality factory ammo, a particularly important consideration for the majority of hunters who aren't handloaders, and lots of relatively inexpensive and potentially accurate rifles chambered for it.

If you spent more time learning how to vote in a presidential election as you do screwing around with 6.5's we'd all be better off.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Originally Posted by JGRaider

If you spent more time learning how to vote in a presidential election as you do screwing around with 6.5's we'd all be better off.

If DJT and JRB, Jr. are the candidates for POTUS in 2024 neither one of them will get my vote, just like they didn't in 2020.
Posted By: OGB Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
aaaaaand, the thread is dead.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
I have no objection to change,
I have used a 6.5 x 55 swede for years. and have no interest in the 6.5 whatever.
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
Originally Posted by EdM
What scope and rings/bases have you decided to mount?

I am going to try and see if a Zeiss Diatal-C 6x32 will work. Mounts are Talley single screw QD's.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23

If DJT and JRB, Jr. are the candidates for POTUS in 2024 neither one of them will get my vote, just like they didn't in 2020.
And you will therefor be helping the "other" party get elected.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Counting on a fair election?
Originally Posted by EdM

Counting on a fair election?

Not necessarily,

But overwhelming numbers are harder to overwhelm.

And should there be a repeat of the last election, blinders will come off more and more people.

Voting for a third party, or not voting, is just playing into their hand.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23

Even a dumbass can collect rifles!!
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Even a dumbass can collect rifles!!

Until the other party (D) has been elected too many times in row.

And I'm not so sure about the R party anymore, not since before Reagan. He and Brady getting shot didn't help anything either. Bush and his Patriot Act, and a few others make me wish there was an alternative. Until this country can get changed from a 2 party system, there will be no alternative than to hold my nose and vote for the least objectionable.
Posted By: Dre Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Back onto 6.5.
It will stick around. Popularity might slow down a bit but it’s staying.
Simply Too many benefits to it.
My best friend just got a tikka T3x SS for his 12 year old son for deer and elk. He wanted a rifle that doesn’t kick a lot but can accomplish both.
Here are the options I gave him.
- 243 smallest caliber for elk alowed in OR, least recoil, best deer cartridge out there. Can be used on varmint
- 6.5 CM every thing Ron said in the video.
- 7-08 better elk cartridge . More Expensive unless you reload. Which he doesn’t.
- 308. Proven, Cheap surplus ammo, more recoil.
I actually don't think the 6.5 Creedmoor's "popularity" is slowing down a bit. Instead so many have been sold there's not as much demand left.

Also don't see many rifle companies dropping it as a chambering.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I actually don't think the 6.5 Creedmoor's "popularity" is slowing down a bit. Instead so many have been sold there's not as much demand left.

Makes sense to me.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23

Shades of the "7-Mag". I remember when we had trouble keeping them in stock.
Posted By: Bobcat85 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/12/23
Dont reply much to these threads but will say I have a 6.5 CM and love it. I seriously doubt if any of the negatives have one. If so, they did not do much work with it if they dont like it.
Originally Posted by Bobcat85
Dont reply much to these threads but will say I have a 6.5 CM and love it. I seriously doubt if any of the negatives have one. If so, they did not do much work with it if they dont like it.

In my experience most of the "negatives" have never fired one....
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Originally Posted by Stammster

True, and laughable at the same time.

Funny how those women and kids seem to kill just fine with the Creedmoor, yet big burly men need their larger cartridges to do so.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
It ain't like a six five at 2700fps is anything new.

And that's all that matters, you know?

Please don't bother telling me about shoulder degrees, case capacity, duration of inflammation.
I shoot or actually shot sierra 85gr HPs @3600 fps a good varmint load, when I wanted a bit better BC for target I use Sierra 107s it offers a good balance between BC and weight and still maintain a decent FPS I am not going to use my high velocity rifles for shooting paper.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Well the 30-06 has been around for 3-4 generations and is still good to kill anything in North America. The 308 came out in the mid-50's and it became a great cartridge. Now 60-100 years later the 6.5 is supposed to be better. ... What does the Creedmore do, give you maybe 50 more yards of effective range. 99% of hunting is under 250 yards. Over than you need braces to hold steady enough to shoot something or shoot prone.

I know the CM is a more-efficient cartridge, with less recoil, or whatever, but its effective range is nowhere near that of a good .308 or 30-06 cartridge/bullet combo, is it? It just recoils a lot less, right?
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
I have reloaded for every big game rifle I've ever owned. My wife and I are coming up on our 26th deer season together this year. She has watched me fussing to find "the best load" with all the earlier rifles. 5 years ago I bought a 6.5 CM. The very first load I tried shot bug hole groups. When my lovely bride saw that she declared it was "her rifle". She put 3 deer in the freezer before it became my turn...

I have a friend that also bought one.... same results. I know that is only a sample of 2 but I really enjoy the round. I guess the only downside is that I kind of missed the "working up the best load" part. cool
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I was gonna say the same thing. Much like the 7mm rem mag the 6.5cm's heyday has passed but it's not going away anytime soon.

I'll never own a 6.5 manbun specifically because of the blowhards that swear it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Originally Posted by justin10mm
I'll never own a 6.5 manbun specifically because of the blowhards that swear it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Very sound reasoning.
Posted By: SKane Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
The two gun shops that I frequent sell more 6.5 Creedmoor rifles than any other chambering. I don’t see how that falls into the “waning” category.

Same for factory rifle ammo.

Most of the folks here have no concept on the purchasing psychology of the casual shooter or first time buyer. It’s not uncommon for them buy based on availability of factory ammo at the time of purchase.

Cue the counter of “my local shop has plenty of .243, 260 and 7-08 ammo”. 😉

Very sound reasoning.

😀😀
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23

Very sound reasoning.

😀😀

Right?

But, they haven't changed.
Posted By: hardin284 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
I bought and sold a Barrett Fieldcraft here in 6.5 cm…..I’m guilty of not wanting to be on the man bun bus, hence the sale. Had it been a 7-08,308,243,6 cm or a few other calibers, I’d still have it, but I don’t………

7-08 til death do us apart
Originally Posted by Bobcat85

In my experience most of the "negatives" have never fired one....
Some of us simply see no need for one. Not with four 260s in the safe, a couple 7-08s, a couple 6mms, and a 243.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
I had a .260 Rem and a 6.5-.284 before the 6.5 Creed was a thing.

Both rifles shoot great and I see no reason to chase the latest and greatest thing at this point in time.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Geesus, all you damn loonies will buy rifles chambered for every old, esoteric, obsolete, semi obsolete, "cool" cartridge you can find but oh no, not a Creed..... "I've got three .222's, four swifts, .22 hornet, .218 bee, .243, 6mm Rem. 240 Bee, .25-20, 250 Savage, .257 Bob, 257 AI, .25-06, two .257 Bees, three 6.5x55's, .264 Win mag., 6.5 .284, 6.5-06, six .270's, four 7mm-08's blah, blah, blah, but Ill be damned if I'll ever own one of those stinkin creeds, even though I buy rifles like most people buy toilet paper and have ten times more than I really have legitimate uses for". Fuuckin weirdos.
lol

You aren’t wrong.

The contrarian campfire.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Makes sense to me.
I'd likely get one if I didn't already own a couple of rifles in the Swede.

I know, not very loonie of me, eh?
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Geesus, all you damn loonies will buy rifles chambered for every old, esoteric, obsolete, semi obsolete, "cool" cartridge you can find but oh no, not a Creed..... "I've got three .222's, four swifts, .22 hornet, .218 bee, .243, 6mm Rem. 240 Bee, .25-20, 250 Savage, .257 Bob, 257 AI, .25-06, two .257 Bees, three 6.5x55's, .264 Win mag., 6.5 .284, 6.5-06, six .270's, four 7mm-08's blah, blah, blah, but Ill be damned if I'll ever own one of those stinkin creeds, even though I buy rifles like most people buy toilet paper and have ten times more than I really have legitimate uses for". Fuuckin weirdos.
Strong opinions!

Then justify for me the investment in dies, brass, and a rifle that will not do a thing my eight inch twist 260s will not do.

I already have 700 rounds loaded for the 260, and FL die set as well as micrometer bushing neck die set.

Yes, sure, if the Creed had been available first, I would have invested in the Creed instead of the 260. But, for me the Creed is just a late comer with more of the same as I already have.

Oh, I can make brass out of 308 with a single pass through a sizer.........advantage 260

You are gonna need to turn in your loonie card wink

I'll just add that the friend I got started reloading for his 6.5 CM had only ever hunted small game and waterfowl. He is an engineer and so obsessed with precision. He got so carried away with his Tikka that he started going to a 1000 yard range.

A guy with a dedicated long range rifle set up on the next bench over sneered, "That's just a hunting rifle you will have a hard time even getting it on the target out there..". Dave out shot him.

A sporter weight barrel heats up so it was not good for the long strings of fire the 1000 yard guys do so Dave had a bull barrel installed... I'm pretty sure he is hoping to run into "the expert" again soon.
Posted By: Dre Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
If Remington wouldn’t butcher new calibers. The 260 would have been a winner if they would have twisted right. Just another reason Why the CM came out ahead.
Change my mind …. Truth
I have two factory 700s in 260 with 8 inch twist. One is 22 inch, one is 24 inch. I saw two or three more on Gunbroker last night.
In 1997 when the 260 was introduced, there was no market for bullets over 140 gr with high BC. Ten inch twist was perfectly acceptable at the time. Remington did, later, answer the need for faster twist and long magazines in the 260. I can run up to 2.950 COAL in my 700s with the Accurate mag box.

Granted, an eight inch twist barrel would have worked as well on low SD, low BC bullets as the ten inch. But Remington was never good a reading their crystal ball. And it seems they were paranoid over scribes referencing "over stabilization".

They originally pushed the 260 hard in the model 7. It made a very nice light hunting rifle. But mag length in the 7 precluded the use of long COAL cartridges.
I have a Browning Low wall in .260. I like it a lot but it doesn't like any of the 140 grain bullets I tried. It loves 129 Hornady bullets though. Put a lot of deer in the freezer with those bullets.
Posted By: Viper225 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Another thing that did not help the 260 was the fact that Remington Brass was the only Brass available for WAAAAAY to long.
I have a 6.5CM in a Nosler M48 Handgun. It is very accurate. I did however have to buy new Dies and Brass to load it. It would have saved me money if it were available in 260 Rem, and probably no difference in performance.
With the Nosler M48 the choices are hard. They must produce about 90% of them in 6CM and 6.5CM. I would much rather mine were chambered in 308 Winchester. However in Three years I have not seen one for sale in that chambering.
In my area the 6.5CM is going strong. The only thing slowing sales down is Inflation. Putting food on the table is getting in the way of gun purchases.

Bob R
Originally Posted by Blackheart

And purchased, scoped and put away - maybe 40 rounds down the tube in 25 years, but booooooooooyyyyyyyeeeee they really shoot. laugh
Originally Posted by Viper225
Another thing that did not help the 260 was the fact that Remington Brass was the only Brass available for WAAAAAY to long.
Yes, in the early years, my brass was all headstamped 7-08. Heck I recently loaded a couple hundred used 308 cases in 260 for the grandkids to play with in the Rugers. The neck diameter of loaded rounds is the same, whether using 308 brass or 260 brass.

Today, the shelf is well covered with Lapua and Alpha for use in the Remingtons.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Yes, in the early years, my brass was all headstamped 7-08. Heck I recently loaded a couple hundred used 308 cases in 260 for the grandkids to play with in the Rugers. The neck diameter of loaded rounds is the same, whether using 308 brass or 260 brass.

Today, the shelf is well covered with Lapua and Alpha for use in the Remingtons.

Yeah, well, 95% of hunters don't reload. In that case if you own a 260 you're officially hosed. The CM guys on the other hand will be flinging bullets and whacking game while you're working in the garden.
Here is a good option for your creedmoor or any 6.5 or .264 from varmint to target to bigger game, I load a full case of RL17 or 48gr + or- and get 3500 fps with no signs of pressure H4350 also works @3300 fps. The short bearing surface is the key and I am sure that they are all copper is also a factor.

https://www.barnesbullets.com/product/tipped-tsx/
Interesting video, definitely click-bait.

Here in western NC, SC, northeastern TN and south-west VA I do see lots of 6.5 Creedmoor rifles for sale and in use with more and more deer hunters and a few paper punchers. If the spent brass buckets at the gun clubs and public ranges are any indication of sales, the 6.5 Creedmoor is not going anywhere soon.

I was a 6.5x55 fan before the 6.5 Creedmoor came along; it didn't stop me from getting a T3X Stainless and a T3X CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor to experiment with.

The 6.5 Creedmoor checks a lot of boxes (accurate rifles, light recoil and high-quality factory ammunition readily available) it really is the "easy button" for a lot of hunters and shooters.

While I do appreciate what the 6.5 Creedmoor is, I still enjoy my 6.5x55's and 6.5 Grendel's.

StarchedCover

+1

There’s something about Ron that I like. Maybe he reminds me of a saner, clearer thinking generation. Yeah, maybe that’s it.
Posted By: JPro Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
I agree on the "pragmatic and reasoned" assessment. Good characteristics for somebody in his line of work.

Yeah, well, 95% of hunters don't reload. In that case if you own a 260 you're officially hosed. The CM guys on the other hand will be flinging bullets and whacking game while you're working in the garden.
Pretty much the case with the 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, the WSSMs, all the SAUM, all the RCM, most of the Weatherby cartridges except the 300, etc, etc.

Cartridge fads come and go. Some last a little longer than others. If I wanted to depend on factory ammo over the next fifty years, I would limit my cartridge choices to 308, 30-06, 270, and 243.
Posted By: Teal Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Cartridge fads come and go. Some last a little longer than others. If I wanted to depend on factory ammo over the next fifty years, I would limit my cartridge choices to 308, 30-06, 270, and 243.

In my area - over the "shortage" - its those cartridges that were the hardest to find. The "fad" cartridges were available in stores, as I mentioned above, servicing towns as small as 350 ish people.
Posted By: RAM Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Sure it is.
Pretty much the case with the 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, the WSSMs, all the SAUM, all the RCM, most of the Weatherby cartridges except the 300, etc, etc.

Except this is a 6.5 thread, and if you believe the 6.5CM is a fad then you're dumber than a box of hammer handles.
In they old "if I could only have one rifle" no one would have a 6.5 creedmoor. they would have a more traditional caliber, even if the balistic were inferiour.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Originally Posted by Dre
If Remington wouldn’t butcher new calibers. The 260 would have been a winner if they would have twisted right. Just another reason Why the CM came out ahead.
Change my mind …. Truth

Well, there was another problem with the .260 that eventually resulted in it slowly sinking--and the appearance of the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Remington did not anticipate how the advent of hand-held laser rangefinders would change things--and LRFs had already appeared when the .260 was introduced in 1997. The standard "short action" magazine is around 2.85" long, and higher-BC 6.5mm bullets wouldn't fit in that length without ending up a ways from the rifling. Thus .260s often didn't group as well with higher-BC bullets as "standard" soft-point spitzers--and even some more standard plastic-tipped bullets.

This is not just theory. I've owned several .260s, and the one that shot best is a Tikka T3--but it didn't group all that well until I took apart the detachable "short" magazine and modified it to accept rounds with an overall length of 3". Before that it would only group OK, even with some hunting bullet like the 140-grain Nosler AccuBond. But after seating bullets in the same load out near the lands, not only did accuracy improve considerably, but muzzle velocity was a little higher--which tends to happen with bullets seated closer to the rifling.

All of this is partly why the 6.5 Creedmoor was developed. It was enough shorter than the .260 so high-BC bullets could be seated close to the lands in a 2.85" magazine.
Originally Posted by Dre
Change my mind …. Truth

Well, there was another problem with the .260 that eventually resulted in it slowly sinking--and the appearance of the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Remington did not anticipate how the advent of hand-held laser rangefinders would change things--and LRFs had already appeared when the .260 was introduced in 1997. The standard "short action" magazine is around 2.85" long, and higher-BC 6.5mm bullets wouldn't fit in that length without ending up a ways from the rifling. Thus .260s often didn't group as well with higher-BC bullets as "standard" soft-point spitzers--and even some more standard plastic-tipped bullets.

This is not just theory. I've owned several .260s, and the one that shot best is a Tikka T3--but it didn't group all that well until I took apart the detachable "short" magazine and modified it to accept rounds with an overall length of 3". Before that it would only group OK, even with some hunting bullet like the 140-grain Nosler AccuBond. But after seating bullets in the same load out near the lands, not only did accuracy improve considerably, but muzzle velocity was a little higher--which tends to happen with bullets seated closer to the rifling.

All of this is partly why the 6.5 Creedmoor was developed. It was enough shorter than the .260 so high-BC bullets could be seated close to the lands in a 2.85" magazine.

And surely someone is now going to chime in about the 6.5x47 without regard to the obvious. laugh
(it's also a great chambering BTW)
Posted By: Sako Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
The reason the 6.5 is not going to die is simple... pure numbers. Previously, the 260, the 358, the 388 fed, etc... never had the numbers of rifles sold as the 6.5 did with the craze it had... simply put, unless people start rechambering their 6.5c's or start throwing them away, the cartridge is not going anywhere. Lots of more shooters today (or wanna be snipers) thus more guns sold... more in circulation than all of the three calibers listed above combined.
Posted By: mathman Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23

I believe another aspect was the position of the ogive break point relative to the case mouth for some low drag bullets.
Posted By: EdM Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
JB,

I often read of the "high quality" factory ammunition available for the 6.5 Creedmoor (I do not own one). What is keeping the manufacturers from making "high quality" ammunition in other more traditional chamberings? What are they doing different with the 6.5 C?
Posted By: shootem Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Just to throw in a Spoomer being Spoomer here’s one reason I like his writing. He once did an article on the 6.5-.280 AI. How’s that for a hybrid. And he did it admiringly. Made a good point about getting the most out of a wildcat if you’re determined to build one. Nothing to do with the CM version but certainly about Spoomer.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
I was a late 6.5 CM adopter, bought one, a Christensen Ridgeline and like it but was not crazy about the rifle and sold it. As I began looking into my next DIY pre-fit project (the first was in 308) the CM was the only viable candidate for me, the 6mm CM being close second but had one and eventually sold it.

If your a pre-fit DIY build/barrel swap shooter like many new hunters/shooters are today, your short action options are limited unless you go to the custom build route. Proof offers 6CM, 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC, 308W in Carbon and 6GT and 6 Dasher in steel.

If you are looking for a cartridge that you can hunt deer with and wear out a barrel at the range, the 6.5 CM is very hard to beat. It's accurate, ammo is available and affordable, easy to shoot and effective on game. It runs circles around the .243 W at distance with `140+ gr bullets.

I would say the 308W is in the same class of the CM but a little more recoil and less popular at the range but maybe more popular in the field.

There are lots of good short-action cartridges like the 7mm-08 for example but if you go that route you will have to have someone else build it, you're not likely to replace the barrel yourself when it's shot out and it's becoming a handloaders only proposition, just try to find ammo.

For many of us, the old tried and true cartridges are all we need and we really don't go through that much ammo to worry about availability. For the new generation of shooters (and hunters), component availability in receivers, barrels, stocks, etc drive the market and that's what's going to be available and the cartridges that are pre-chambered for those components are going to be available.

I've owned rifles chambered in 260, 6.5x55, 6.5-06 and 264 WM but the only 6.5 I have now is the CM. As others have said, it's the easy button!

I have since changed the rings and it now wears a Hunter DBM.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: centershot Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
The reason it will not die is that it is a great round. I'd venture a guess that SW sell 6.5CM 4 to 1 over any other caliber. There is at least that ratio on the racks and if are not rotating inventory, they don't replace it. Its a good seller with good reason - low recoil, great ballistics, lots of good options for loaded ammo. Constant chambers, modern geometry, efficient, enough power to kill critters up to the size of elk and moose. It would be very hard for me to recommend any other caliber for a new or experienced hunter. No doubt that there are other calibers that are close and overlap what the 6.5CM can do, but to recommend them over the 6.5CM - I could not do it in good conscience.
Obviously there are specific hunts or shoots where a specific caliber would be a better choice but as an overall do anything chambering the 6.5CM checks a lot of boxes.

This is coming from a 30-06 guy for the last 40 years. I hunt elk yearly (although mostly bowhunting because drawing a rifle tag is about a every 5-7 year deal) I did draw an antlered elk hunt this season and the 30-06 will be in the safe, I'll be packing my 6.5CM.
Originally Posted by EdM
JB,

I often read of the "high quality" factory ammunition available for the 6.5 Creedmoor (I do not own one). What is keeping the manufacturers from making "high quality" ammunition in other more traditional chamberings? What are they doing different with the 6.5 C?

Ed,

I've been fooling with various 6.5 Creedmoors since 2010--though at the moment don't own one anymore. Have also shot quite a bit of factory ammo, and I've seen are two things that tend to differ from a lot of factory ammo: The brass is highly uniform, including neck thickness, and the bullets are seated straighter than typical hunting ammo.

Though both of those factors have been improving with factory rifle ammo for a while, overall I haven't seen to the same extent as with 6.5 CM ammo--or 6.5 PRC ammo, for that matter.
Posted By: JPro Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Don't all the PRC offerings, along with the 6.5CM, also have typical chamber/reamer dimensions that are relatively tight through the throats, relative to many of our "standard" big game rounds (with regards to typical examples of chamber dimensions)?
Posted By: OGB Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
The only thing I don't like about the 6.5CM is that it didn't come out a little sooner. It was very new when I bought a 243 (wanted a smaller round than my 30-06 for the little NC deer). After a couple deer with the 243, would prefer the 6.5CM and expect better blood trails.
Originally Posted by EdM
JB,

I'll hazard a guess that the phones at Berger and Lapua aren't ringing off the hook with calls from 35 Remington shooters. grin
OGB, our Western counterparts may not appreciate our desire for prominent blood trails in the South and East Coast where visibility in the piney woods can be very limited. I hunt on timbered land in GA and a deer could be yards away and you wouldn't even know it. Sometimes they drop on the spot, often they don't. I always take a long hard look at where the deer was standing when I shot and start there, even if I saw the deer run in a particular directions. After many years, I still can't get over how hard they can be to find some times, this said with my go-to rifle for the past decade or two being a 7mm RM.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by EdM
JB,

I'll hazard a guess that the phones at Berger and Lapua aren't ringing off the hook with calls from 35 Remington shooters. grin

Boy you got that right. Even though there are hundreds of thousands of 35 Remington rifles out there.
Originally Posted by JPro
Don't all the PRC offerings, along with the 6.5CM, also have typical chamber/reamer dimensions that are relatively tight through the throats, relative to many of our "standard" big game rounds (with regards to typical examples of chamber dimensions)?

Yes--but there's also one other "commercial" round that has a similar SAAMI throat, the .308 Winchester.
Posted By: OGB Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Originally Posted by 257Bob
OGB, our Western counterparts may not appreciate our desire for prominent blood trails in the South and East Coast where visibility in the piney woods can be very limited. I hunt on timbered land in GA and a deer could be yards away and you wouldn't even know it. Sometimes they drop on the spot, often they don't. I always take a long hard look at where the deer was standing when I shot and start there, even if I saw the deer run in a particular directions. After many years, I still can't get over how hard they can be to find some times, this said with my go-to rifle for the past decade or two being a 7mm RM.

Yep, I don't own land so hunt public. This introduces multiple challenges. One being hound hunters. I've found some places deep in swamps that are escape routes. Shooting is usually at moving deer and the bush is epically thick. A deer that travels even 30yds can be a real pain to find. As in, you almost have to trip over it. Been using a 308 and have been toying with the idea of putting a red dot on my little Marlin Marauder.

Yes--but there's also one other "commercial" round that has a similar SAAMI throat, the .308 Winchester.

SAAMI min throat diameter for the 308 Winchester is .310", for the 6.5 Creedmoor it's .2645". Advantage Creedmoor.
Originally Posted by OGB

Yep, I don't own land so hunt public. This introduces multiple challenges. One being hound hunters. I've found some places deep in swamps that are escape routes. Shooting is usually at moving deer and the bush is epically thick. A deer that travels even 30yds can be a real pain to find. As in, you almost have to trip over it. Been using a 308 and have been toying with the idea of putting a red dot on my little Marlin Marauder.

If you ever watch those European boar hunter videos you wouldn't hesitate with the red dot!
Originally Posted by mathman

SAAMI min throat diameter for the 308 Winchester is .310", for the 6.5 Creedmoor it's .2645". Advantage Creedmoor.

Yep, and I suspect the reason for the slightly larger diameter in the .308 is the dirty-burning "traditional" spherical powders usually loaded in it early on. In fact, the original Winchester info emphasized such "high energy" powders were what allowed the .308 to approach .30-06 velocities.
I wonder who actually bothered to listen to the whole video? In the last minute or two Ron says "it ain't gong away anytime soon".

The Trolls gonna troll.

The Snowflakes gonna be triggered.
Posted By: Puddle Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Originally Posted by EdM
JB,

Ed,

I've been fooling with various 6.5 Creedmoors since 2010--though at the moment don't own one anymore. Have also shot quite a bit of factory ammo, and I've seen are two things that tend to differ from a lot of factory ammo: The brass is highly uniform, including neck thickness, and the bullets are seated straighter than typical hunting ammo.

Though both of those factors have been improving with factory rifle ammo for a while, overall I haven't seen to the same extent as with 6.5 CM ammo--or 6.5 PRC ammo, for that matter.

I just so happened to mic a box of BHG factory 143 gr. ELD-X ammo yesterday. OAL varied by 0.007", and BTO varied by 0.004".

The reason I did this was because the week before I let a grand-niece shoot the 6.5 CM RPR I had set up for 100 yards. This was the first time she'd shot center-fire anything (tho she's a heck of an air-rifle competitor). The cold-bore shot was off a bit, so I had her move her finger just a bit on the trigger. The following 9 shots were on top of each other measuring just over .6"

That made me take notice! I'm going to work up an equivalent load with those factory measurements and see what I can do. Hopefully, better....
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Anyone knocking the QueerMoor is afraid of their sexuality.

Lol
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

I'll just add that the friend I got started reloading for his 6.5 CM had only ever hunted small game and waterfowl. He is an engineer and so obsessed with precision. He got so carried away with his Tikka that he started going to a 1000 yard range.

A guy with a dedicated long range rifle set up on the next bench over sneered, "That's just a hunting rifle you will have a hard time even getting it on the target out there..". Dave out shot him.

A sporter weight barrel heats up so it was not good for the long strings of fire the 1000 yard guys do so Dave had a bull barrel installed... I'm pretty sure he is hoping to run into "the expert" again soon.

My loonie tastes run toward more uncommon cartridges, so I think I'm safe from the Rifle Loonie Rangers if I don't purchase a 6.5CM soon.

I do appreciate the story of your friend, always cool to outdo an "expert".
Posted By: czech1022 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
I visited a Sportsman's Warehouse the other day, and took a look at the ammo section.

I had the bright idea that the most popular / most used / most purchased round would have the most shelf space because of customer demand.

So I made a mental note of the relative amounts of a few different cartridges on the store shelves.

.243 Win had about 2/3 of a shelf in 5 or 6 different varieties.

7mm mag about a full shelf plus or minus - same for the .270 Win (maybe a shelf and a half).

7mm-08 had about 1/3 of a shelf.

.308, 30-06 and 6.5 Creedmoor each had 3 shelves of offerings.

.223 was scattered all over, but had to be more than 2 shelves full.

So there's your highly unscientific measurement of current rifle cartridge popularity!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23

They might not call you a "boomer" in your later years, but you'll turn into your father (and grandfather) sooner or later.

Mark my words! smile smile
Posted By: las Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Don't need no stinkin Creed.

I do have a Rem 725 , re-tubed from .244 with 700TI .260 . Me, it, and 140 gr get along just fine. I CAN reload for it- have everything - but also have a fair bit of factory ammo. It has been hard to find, time to time.

I think I'm going to sell my RU77 in .338WM. Packed it caribou hunting this year for the first carry in over 12 years. Shoots just fine, but too damned heavy anymore!

And the M98 30-06 is even heavier, but even more accurate. Probably also going down the road, eventually.
Originally Posted by czech1022
I visited a Sportsman's Warehouse the other day, and took a look at the ammo section.

I had the bright idea that the most popular / most used / most purchased round would have the most shelf space because of customer demand.

So I made a mental note of the relative amounts of a few different cartridges on the store shelves.

7mm mag about a full shelf plus or minus - same for the .270 Win (maybe a shelf and a half).

So there's your highly unscientific measurement of current rifle cartridge popularity!

A few years ago I contacted a PH friend in South Africa who also owned a big sporting goods store in Kimberley. At that time he said about 80% of the rifles he was selling were 6.5 Creedmoors, because they local meat hunters, whether for sport/eating or professional cullers, had discovered how well it worked, especially with factory ammo. The pro cullers often prefer to use factory ammo if its "affordable," because they then don't have to take time to handload--when they could be out shooting animals and making money. Which is why my friend was selling a LOT of ammo too....
Posted By: rainshot Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
The Creedmoor fills a gap that our older offerings cannot because of their SAAMI standards and firearms they were originally designed for. The 6.5x55 is a good cartridge but it is a very old one and has a different size case head so it isn't used much. Brass is difficult to get and it does it's best when handloaded. The 7mm-08 is a good cartridge but not very popular. I load for it and both my grandkids use it. Mrs. Eleanor O'Connor killed quite a lot of game with the little 7x57 and Jack loaded it for her. It's not greatly popular here and not much accurate ammo is loaded for it. It's a child of an earlier time originally birthed for military use, like the Sweed. I understand that everyone has their baby and likes it to the exclusion of everything else but it is beyond me why there is so much downright hate and derision about the little Creedmoor. I was in the barber shop one day a whlle back and a young man said something about how proud he was of his 6.5 Creedmoor. My barber and an old fart (retired RR engineer) both lit into him like he had leprosy. They both decided the 22WMR was a better deer cartridge and they'd both killed more game with it than a Creedmoor. I inquired how many times they'd been arrested for poaching and they both got quiet. They both are magnum guys. Donny the barber uses a 26 Nosler for deer and Ed the engineer uses Weatherby's. That's ok by me but don't try to feed me a bunch of crap about how the Creedmoor doesn't have enough ambition to penetrate deer hide. It just ain't so. The 6.5 or the 6mm either one are decent game cartridges and you can get accurate ammo for them just about everywhere. The reason why they are getting good press is because they are good and accurate cartridges that can cross the line between target competition and game hunting. I thank writers like Spomer and John Barsness for having an open mind and willing to take heat and speak truth.
[quote=Valsdad]

In addition to the haughty guy several members (I think the club is Hawks Nest? located in the piedmont section of NC) have taken him under their wing and helped him to spend money well on the sport(his wife may hate me now..).

A partial list includes: Had the bull barrel chamber for a specific target bullet, bought the 3 die Redding bench rest dies (175.00 IIRC) got a laminated adjustable stock A high end Vortex scope, a bipod I'd never heard of that was 200.00 + built his own case annealing device , a Kestrel wind device, a chronograph, found a ballistics calculating program that includes the rotation of the Earth during the bullets time of flight and what should be enough Lapua brass to last a life time.

That kind of customer approval has got to make the firearms industry smile...
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/13/23
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I was gonna say the same thing. Much like the 7mm rem mag the 6.5cm's heyday has passed but it's not going away anytime soon.

What about the blow hards that say it's a man bun cartridge?
For the record, I'm not a hunter. I enjoy punching paper and occasionally like to stretch the range a bit further just to test my abilities. I also always liked cartridges like the 30-06 and 270. The 30-06 isn't exactly punishing but it's not fun to sit at a bench with and lob rounds all day. I'd enjoy doing so with a 270 but it would be a helluva lot better with faster twist rates and heavier for caliber bullets. I also don't understand the belittling of those that enjoy the 6.5CM. Probably the same people thatll judge a person by their appearance without having ever talked to them and raise sociopaths because they think telling their kids that they love them will make weak men.
[quote=Valsdad]

In addition to the haughty guy several members (I think the club is Hawks Nest? located in the piedmont section of NC) have taken him under their wing and helped him to spend money well on the sport(his wife may hate me now..).

A partial list includes: Had the bull barrel chamber for a specific target bullet, bought the 3 die Redding bench rest dies (175.00 IIRC) got a laminated adjustable stock A high end Vortex scope, a bipod I'd never heard of that was 200.00 + built his own case annealing device , a Kestrel wind device, a chronograph, found a ballistics calculating program that includes the rotation of the Earth during the bullets time of flight and what should be enough Lapua brass to last a life time.

That kind of customer approval has got to make the firearms industry smile...

Like turning a kid with his allowance free in the candy store.
Posted By: shootem Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23

As to terrain your absolutely right. For several years I hunted a timber company lease in LA with Loblolly pines in various stages of growth. One particularly good stand was 30 feet up a big poplar, that had somehow survived, looking slightly upward along a grown over road dividing 10 ft tall pines from 20 ft tall pines. I shot 3 bucks from 150 to 250 yards and none were easily recovered. Visibility into the 10 ft pines from the road was less than 30 feet. Into the 20 ft pines maybe 50 ft max. If you have never crawled under pine limbs and through blackberry and honeysuckle following a blood trail you have no idea how good cheap whiskey is at the end of the day. Using a .270 Weatherby with pre-interlock factory 130 gr none of the bucks had an exit wound. One never bled a drop until going down on the entry side. Then there was a very small maybe silver dollar sized patch directly under the bullet entry. Found only grid walking/crawling. Exit wounds are extremely valuable in such conditions.

Forgive the longwinded story but memories keep occurring. From the tall stand I located a small clearing in the 10 ft plot 200 yds away, macheted my way there and hung a chain on stand in the only possible place; a small live oak. Stand was only about 10 ft elevation but in a great spot. Shot a nice buck (30-06 150 Bronze Point) chasing a doe early January then a good friend hunted it. Made a bad hit on a small buck and the work began. Terrain made the road stand look clear. To this day my friend calls that tracking session the Viet Nam Buck. We would mark a drop and one of us would stay there while the other moved slowly forward in the direction of travel. Most likely “crawled slowly forward”. A long time later we came to a creek bank the buck went down and found him soaking. Finishing shot and all that was left was the drag back. And again, if you have not had this pleasure you have no idea how good cheap whiskey is at the end of such a day!!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
We'll know in a hundred years if it's special.
Posted By: Dre Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
Originally Posted by Dre
Change my mind …. Truth

Alway appreciate your insight.
Thank you.
Q. Regarding this sentence “but muzzle velocity was a little higher--which tends to happen with bullets seated closer to the rifling.”
Can you please elaborate on this , or is it because the jump slows down the bullet when hitting the lands?
The closer the bullet sits to the lands, the more resistance the bullet has to initial movement. This resistance comparatively slows the growth of the combustion chamber which causes chamber pressure to rise more rapidly. Smokeless powder burns progressively. The higher the pressure, the faster it burns.

This is similar to using a faster burn rate powder if the bullet had not been moved closer to the lands.

Higher pressure gives higher velocity.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
The closer the bullet sits to the lands, the more resistance the bullet has to initial movement. This resistance comparatively slows the growth of the combustion chamber which causes chamber pressure to rise more rapidly. Smokeless powder burns progressively. The higher the pressure, the faster it burns.

This is similar to using a faster burn rate powder if the bullet had not been moved closer to the lands.

Yeah,

unless one is using

Cermalube! grin

Do you remember that thread?
Oh yeah!
Posted By: Seafire Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
Gee and my favorite cartridge is the 6.5 x 57.... that came out in like 1892.... built on a long action, its the same as a 6.5 NeedMore is on a short action...

Then the Swede has been around just as long...and then I bought a 260 Remington in 98 when they came out... followed by a couple more that were sold cheap....due to slow sales..

Also picked up a 6.5 Grendal in the Ruger American Predator model.. I like hunting with that one also...

I finally bought a NeedMore a few seasons ago, when they were on sale for $200. in the TC bolt action.. Haven't even loaded for it yet, much less shot it. Got it because the price was right... also have plenty of brass due to range pick up brass.

but then its nice to have options.... ain't it...

in the end tho, they ALL work just fine.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
If you have never crawled under pine limbs and through blackberry and honeysuckle following a blood trail you have no idea how good cheap whiskey is at the end of the day.

Worth a repost. LMAO

This is exactlly how I achive the velocity I get as I was saying in the 338 Edge Thread lots of free bore and jump the lands. Some times when I load a batch to hot "even for me" all I do is put them back into the press and push the bullet deeper into the case and they excess pressure disappears. I can tell how deep to sink them in by how hot they are , that can only come with experience.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
The Creed can do it all!!!
From killing things to making a grilled cheese sandwich.
No other cartridge can make a grilled cheese sandwich let alone a PBJ...

Gawd....
Some people take any critique of this cartridge as a personal attack to the nth degree of minituea of justification.

Whatever works for you is what it boils down too...

Except for the .270...
Which is the gay souless reheaded bastard step child of the greatest cartridge ever...

The 30- 06...👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
.270 came from the .30-03 you uncultured swine.

Minutuea of evovlement of the case and parent idea.

30- 06 rules..

Everything else drools!!!

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

( just trying to see what I can start) 😁😁🤣😁😁
Posted By: SKane Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
Originally Posted by renegade50
Some people take any critique of this cartridge as a personal attack to the nth degree of minituea of justification.

I take no offense to folks not caring for or needing the 6.5 Creedmoor chambering – none whatsoever. There's so many things that just work – different strokes.

It's the omnipresent, fervored obstinance in understanding WHY it's immensely popular that's so gat-damned laughable.

I take no offense to folks not caring for or needing the 6.5 Creedmoor chambering – none whatsoever. There's so many things that just work – different strokes.

It's the omnipresent, fervored obstinance in understanding WHY it's immensely popular that's so gat-damned laughable.
👍🏻👍🏻😁👍🏻👍🏻
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
Originally Posted by shootem

As to terrain your absolutely right. For several years I hunted a timber company lease in LA with Loblolly pines in various stages of growth. One particularly good stand was 30 feet up a big poplar, that had somehow survived, looking slightly upward along a grown over road dividing 10 ft tall pines from 20 ft tall pines. I shot 3 bucks from 150 to 250 yards and none were easily recovered. Visibility into the 10 ft pines from the road was less than 30 feet. Into the 20 ft pines maybe 50 ft max. If you have never crawled under pine limbs and through blackberry and honeysuckle following a blood trail you have no idea how good cheap whiskey is at the end of the day. Using a .270 Weatherby with pre-interlock factory 130 gr none of the bucks had an exit wound. One never bled a drop until going down on the entry side. Then there was a very small maybe silver dollar sized patch directly under the bullet entry. Found only grid walking/crawling. Exit wounds are extremely valuable in such conditions.

Forgive the longwinded story but memories keep occurring. From the tall stand I located a small clearing in the 10 ft plot 200 yds away, macheted my way there and hung a chain on stand in the only possible place; a small live oak. Stand was only about 10 ft elevation but in a great spot. Shot a nice buck (30-06 150 Bronze Point) chasing a doe early January then a good friend hunted it. Made a bad hit on a small buck and the work began. Terrain made the road stand look clear. To this day my friend calls that tracking session the Viet Nam Buck. We would mark a drop and one of us would stay there while the other moved slowly forward in the direction of travel. Most likely “crawled slowly forward”. A long time later we came to a creek bank the buck went down and found him soaking. Finishing shot and all that was left was the drag back. And again, if you have not had this pleasure you have no idea how good cheap whiskey is at the end of such a day!!

Thanks for the nice Campfire story and I had a few of the same problems with the 270 wby 130 Sierra, iirc, bullet before switching to something more substantial.
Posted By: centershot Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
There is one problem with my 6.5 CM's.........every time I take them out to shoot, I shoot every round I have with me. They are so dang fun to shoot that all my cases come home empty.
Posted By: mathman Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23

👍🏻👍🏻😁👍🏻👍🏻

I've called it CDS or CBHS depending on context.

Minutuea of evovlement of the case and parent idea.

30- 06 rules..

Everything else drools!!!

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

( just trying to see what I can start) 😁😁🤣😁😁

I also thought the 30-06 was the cats meow until I Ackley Improved it that was a step up, but by far one of my most accurite rifles that I own and would not hesitate to go up against any "match rifle" is my 30-06 with a Serengeti chamber that is in a class of it's own.
The 30-06 is never a mistake. I used it many years and watched it crumple deer at 350 yards, with a Nosler BT departing at 2900 fps.

Spomer s a wordy sort but has a substantial following. I'd never heard of the guy until about a year ago. I watched a couple of his videos and didn't see any startling revelations. I've been shooting centerfire rifles for 50 years and my opinions on them are already formed. I'm obviously not his target audience.

Stolen from the Memes thread...

Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
There will be demand for 6.5 CM ammo for a period of time due simply to the number of rifles sold chambered for the round. However, my LGS stopped ordering 6.5 CM rifles about 6 months ago because they can no longer sell them. Everyone who wants one, has one. No one else cares.

The 6.5 CM is no worse nor better than it ever was. But, the bloom is off. And, all of the advertising dollars and media print, etc, are now being utilized to hype up the NEW "new" things like the other 6.5 offerings that Spomer covered in the video. Firearms companies make money selling new firearms. The 6.5 Man Bun firearm market is saturated. Time to move onto the next "new" thing... Typical capitalists... Create need and then fill it...
Posted By: mauserfan Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
Well.....all I can say is that most of my suppliers have quite a few 6.5 CM rifles on sale and plenty of ammo.
Darrel Wick
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
If I lost all my guns in a fire, I'd replace them with a 223, 6.5CM and a 30-06, all sporters and nothing else.

I could sleep again at night at last. smile
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/14/23
Originally Posted by SuperCub
If I lost all my guns in a fire, I'd replace them with a 223, 6.5CM and a 30-06, all sporters and nothing else.

I could sleep again at night at last. smile

I could do almost the same except my "big gun" would be a 35 Whelen. So much fun with both cast and pistol bullets.... Plus that would help to maintain my claim on rifle loonie status cool
My main rifles these days are an AR (still in 5.56/223) and an old 1955 Marlin Texan in 35 Remington 'Extra' aka loaded to 30-30 pressure. I don't hunt big crop fields much anymore so 250 yards is a long shot. The AR gets fed PMC 223 softpoint,

I've toyed with the idea of a 6.5 Grendel upper for the AR.
Originally Posted by SargeMO
My main rifles these days are an AR (still in 5.56/223) and an old 1955 Marlin Texan in 35 Remington 'Extra' aka loaded to 30-30 pressure. I don't hunt big crop fields much anymore so 250 yards is a long shot. The AR gets fed PMC 223 softpoint,

I really like the 6.5 Grendel. My only rifle chambered for it is a CZ 527. It probably makes even more sense in an AR but I bought it on closeout as something to fill the gap between traditional deer and varmint cartridges and something for the kids to shoot.

It’s a fun little rifle and cartridge. It’s sitting in my truck right now to take to range after work tomorrow.
I've got a Dave Manson custom chamber reamer for a 6.5 Rem Mag with a COAL 1/4" longer than SAAMI spec. That lets me seat the bullet base even with the case taper and use all the powder capacity of the "short action" case. The round fits a medium length Mauser action and magazine box perfectly.
Originally Posted by czech1022

A few years ago I contacted a PH friend in South Africa who also owned a big sporting goods store in Kimberley. At that time he said about 80% of the rifles he was selling were 6.5 Creedmoors, because they local meat hunters, whether for sport/eating or professional cullers, had discovered how well it worked, especially with factory ammo. The pro cullers often prefer to use factory ammo if its "affordable," because they then don't have to take time to handload--when they could be out shooting animals and making money. Which is why my friend was selling a LOT of ammo too....

I agree with the South African hunters regarding factory 6.5 Creedmoors. It has proven true for me.

I was late to the 6.5 Creedmoor, but today, I think it's the only cartridge for which I have more than one rifle (though, I do have both a .30-06 and .30-06 AI). I just bought another Creedmoor yesterday, which I believe takes me to four. The newest is a Springfield Waypoint. I have high expectations for that rifle.

Out of all of the dozen or so 6.5 Creedmoors I've played with, I think any of them on a standalone basis would be the most accurate rifle I have ever owned, though I've had truly accurate .22 Hornets, 223s, 7-08s, .270s, .300 Winchesters and .300 Weatherbys and decent (MOA or less) .375s and .416s. With one exception outlined below, any of the Creedmoors would outshoot them all.

I've never owned a Creedmoor that wouldn't put five shots into less than 3/4" and mostly less than 1/2" and with a variety of different loads. Interestingly enough, all my 6.5 Creedmoors have been factory rifles and all would easily outshoot all the high-end customs I have bought from places like GA Precision, NULA and others. The exception is one older .270 ULA I bought used that would shoot similarly to the Creedmoors I've owned.

Not sure if it's ammo, case design, bullets, chamber dimensions or what, but for me, they shoot well. I've yet to kill an elk with one, but the round seems about as good as it gets for most all-around US hunting and excellent on the range, too.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Whoa! Spomer on the 6.5 - 09/15/23
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by SargeMO

I really like the 6.5 Grendel. My only rifle chambered for it is a CZ 527. It probably makes even more sense in an AR but I bought it on closeout as something to fill the gap between traditional deer and varmint cartridges and something for the kids to shoot.

It’s a fun little rifle and cartridge. It’s sitting in my truck right now to take to range after work tomorrow.

About seven years ago, I traded into a CZ-527 in 7.62x39. I learned right quick it would herd five Tula FMJ into 3 inches at 200 yards. My wife killed a doe with it at 225 yards that year, and I gave it to her. Ass backwards safety but a hell of a fine little rifle otherwise. The set trigger is an excellent feature.
© 24hourcampfire