Home
Posted By: wabigoon How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
I don't know for sure, I'll guess a hundred years.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: hanco Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: billtrev Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: EdM Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Texas 2006, Idaho 2003.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: fgold767 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: bpas105 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: Steve Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
July.
Posted By: leemar28 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: bpas105 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
At hunting camp, everyone brings something for meals. Generally, there are 8 or 10 there. One of my brothers, who's always been cheap, asked what he could bring and I told him bead and fruit. He brought a half loaf of bread and 3 bananas. I could add quite a few examples of his cheapness, and know he'll never change.
Posted By: gunzo Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Originally Posted by leemar28

Cool! Good friends of mine live in a 1793 model. 3ft. thick stone walls. Some original doors, hinges, latches still in use. Hand hewn, mortise & tenon floor joist visible from the cellar.

What is yours constructed of leemar?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Originally Posted by bpas105
At hunting camp, everyone brings something for meals. Generally, there are 8 or 10 there. One of my brothers, who's always been cheap, asked what he could bring and I told him bead and fruit. He brought a half loaf of bread and 3 bananas. I could add quite a few examples of his cheapness, and know he'll never change.
So how old is hunting camp?
Originally Posted by bpas105

Bahahahaha. Great troll or wrong thread, either way fantastic.
Current home built in the early 70s.

New one, under construction.
Posted By: deflave Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Eat schit and die.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
The oldest part of the house has to a hundred and ten or so.

It was a homestead shack that grandpa skidded off the hill. He then built on to it.
Posted By: 79S Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Originally Posted by deflave
Eat schit and die.

So uh 1986 Pard?
Original part in 1998, I was 26. Me and the old man did everything except insulation and finishing drywall, but I hung it. Built the cabin same way except insulation was only thing we subbed out and he wasn’t able to go as much. We spent times I’ll always remember and appreciate him for. Couple uncles jumped in with a lot of help too. Funny all the buddys I’d helped on projects sudddenly got real busy when it was time to repay the favor.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Fish Camp?
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
The top part of the house is from the 1920s. It was known as the Homestead house and was actually mailed and shipped up by steamer in the early 1920s. It was assembled and lived in in one part of town and then moved up to here in the early 1960s and put one top of the bottom floor. It has been renovated many times until present.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Fish Camp?
Hunting camp, possibly fish camp if we decide on a pond in the front yard at some point.

Creek dries up if no rain for about a month.
Posted By: Morewood Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Built in '62. Been living here since '88 with tons of renovations over the years.
Posted By: Craigster Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: renegade50 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
I bought it in 2006.
Notice how I said bought it myself and not inherited Mr. Potatohead.....
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
1884, I bought the ranch from my parents when they could not handle it anymore. It has been in the family since they moved here from Germany in 1884.
Posted By: dale06 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
The house?
Slab poured in Aug 2002!
Finished?
Uhhmmm.... never! I/We are constantly fixing, repairing, changing, painting SOMETHING!

The plot of land?
Settled by the wife's great grandfather in the last Oklahoma Land "Rush"(?) in 1904. Deed signed by Theodore Roosevelt (probably by a secretary).
Don't think it was a "Rush" like the first one. Go select your parcel and lay claim.
Had to show improvements and/or plant crops within five years.

I'm telling you right now! This entire piece of property is RED CLAY! Grows wheat like a champ! Digging postholes was T-O-U-G-H!!!!!! To pull a single bottom plow through the hard packed earth thevfirst time, had to take a good team of mules or horses! 🤠
Lumber for building had to be hauled in. The only trees are yellow locust and elm. A few cottonwoods around.
Nearest town is a 6.75 mile walk.
Posted By: specialK Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
The house?
Slab poured in Aug 2002!
Finished?
Uhhmmm.... never! I/We are constantly fixing, repairing, changing, painting SOMETHING!

The plot of land?
Settled by the wife's great grandfather in the last Oklahoma Land "Rush"(?) in 1904. Deed signed by Theodore Roosevelt (probably by a secretary).
Don't think it was a "Rush" like the first one. Go select your parcel and lay claim.
Had to show improvements and/or plant crops within five years.

I'm telling you right now! This entire piece of property is RED CLAY! Grows wheat like a champ! Digging postholes was T-O-U-G-H!!!!!! To pull a single bottom plow through the hard packed earth thevfirst time, had to take a good team of mules or horses! 🤠
Lumber for building had to be hauled in. The only trees are yellow locust and elm. A few cottonwoods around.
Nearest town is a 6.75 mile walk.
No road so you can't drive?
Posted By: luv2safari Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Main part is the same age I am, 76. A bedroom was added in 1972, and we added a big living room and my office/bedroom five years ago.

You do the math; I can't.
1973 my grandmother's house 1910
Posted By: Whelenman Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
About 1880 .
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
First part of the house was built around 1948. Not much more that a shotgun shack. One side extension added sometime before building codes came about and another wing built in 1980 while the mountain was blowing up. still has ash in parts of it.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
The house I live in now was I think built in the 1890’s and was located about 12 miles or so from it’s present location. In around 1937 it was moved here to the ranch to avoid being located at the bottom of Lake Travis. It was then rocked with stone from here on the ranch. New kitchen, masterbath and bedroom, and laundry room added in 1998. The old stone arched back porch was converted into the dining room
Posted By: wabigoon Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Thanks all.
Posted By: gunzo Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Been in this one since Labor Day weekend 1991. 3rd water heater, second roof & just bought the 3rd heat pump. Sometimes I wonder, but it's ours as long as we pay taxes. A huge gamble but ins. don't have to be paid if it get's that tight. I'd still have property & likely good basement walls if the bad happens. I'll blue tarp & tent pole this somebitch before I'd rent again.
Posted By: StuckInOhio Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Not really sure, but it was the original general store for Vienna Township back when this part of Ohio was the Connecticut Western Reserve. I asked at the court house for it's age and was told back in 1860 a survey of houses was done in Trumbull County. My house was considered old then.
The house has a partial basement and the rest of it is up on rocks. Just like some hunting cabins.
Must have been built around 1800 +/- a few years.
Posted By: richj Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
about 1924
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
The house I live in now was I think built in the 1890’s and was located about 12 miles or so from it’s present location. In around 1937 it was moved here to the ranch to avoid being located at the bottom of Lake Travis. It was then rocked with stone from here on the ranch. New kitchen, masterbath and bedroom, and laundry room added in 1998. The old stone arched back porch was converted into the dining room

Our house is somewhat similar. Was originally built in 1910 in a little town about 5 miles north of here, which was flooded when Canyon Ferry Reservoir got filled in 1959. The house was moved here and put on a more "modern" foundation.

It was a fairly big house for its time, two stories with five bedrooms. But it lost one of the second-story bedrooms during the move. It has since been fixed-up/remodeled quite a bit, some by us after buying it 25 years ago. While it has a modern "efficient" woodstove for backup heat, we replaced the oil furnace with a super-efficient gas one around a dozen years ago, and added central air. The original wood siding had aluminum put over it sometime, which we just repainted. Oh, and the previous owners built a garage in the back yard.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Just so it is a Home!
Posted By: Hastings Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Our original farm house was the second house built in Madison county in 1868. There was an addition built sometime after WW I . My parents bought the farm in 1950 and put an addition on it that year. We built them a new house in the fall of 1978. Some juvenile delinquents broke in and burned that new house down before my parents could move in. My father had died of a heart attack just hours before the house was torched. We built my mother a small 2 bedroom house in 1979 and built a 2 bedroom addition with a large garage in 2013.

Our current house was built in 2012-13…but no stories to share about it…
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Our house is somewhat similar. Was originally built in 1910 in a little town about 5 miles north of here, which was flooded when Canyon Ferry Reservoir was filled in 1959. The house was moved here and put on a more "modern" foundation.

It was a fairly big house for its time, two stories with five bedrooms. But it lost one of the second-story bedrooms during the move. It has since been fixed-up/remodeled quite a bit, some by us after buying it 25 years ago. While it has a modern "efficient" woodstove for backup heat, we replaced the oil furnace with a super-efficient gas one around a dozen years ago, and added central air. The original wood siding had aluminum put over it sometime, which we just repainted. Oh, and the previous owners built a 2-car garage in the back yard.

That’s cool! When I was a kid the house was our deep camp. Had some plumbing issues back then. And there was a dearborn butane heater in the back bedroom. But otherwise we had an old fireplace. No insulation and it cooled off pretty quick in winter! 🤣. It is a sturdy place with the rock walls.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Neat to know yours was originally the deer camp!

The other interesting thing about our house is we "traded" for it. When we first moved here bought a much smaller (and even older) house on seven acres a few miles from town. Eventually our home businesses outgrew it, and it also made more sense in several ways to move to town. Found this house for sale by the owners, who'd always wanted our property but never had the money when it came up for sale.

So we had both places appraised and they came out within $500 of each other. We hired a lawyer who wrote up the contract for the swap, and rented a U-Haul with the other folks, which we ran between the houses to move all the stuff.
Posted By: Scout308 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: Clarkm Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Fish Camp?
Hunting camp, possibly fish camp if we decide on a pond in the front yard at some point.

Creek dries up if no rain for about a month.
I vote fish camp. Rent a backhoe.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: JimR Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
1922 officially but probs 1921.
Arial photo circa 1919
Amazingly a large portion of those Valley Oaks are still there.
Benjamin Holt had a house built couple streets over.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Built it in 1998.
Posted By: AKduck Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Posted By: greydog Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
I dug the basement in 1993 and we were able to live in it for a couple of years. I started on the top of the house in 1995 , but didn't finish it until 1997. Got electricity in 1997. In my defense, it was a one man show and I had to break often for hunting, fishing, and other necessary recreation. For a few years, I even had a job. I built it from the basement to the roof. I did the plumbing, the wiring, and the septic system. I mixed and poured the concrete. It's nothing special, but it's mine. GD
Posted By: local_dirt Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots

Same!!

From the other thread about the siding, also - It's so interesting to me the very different construction methods around the country. For instance, I don't have any idea what the two methods are the op is considering on the siding thread.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
August 9, 1997

P
Posted By: srwshooter Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
I built it in 1997.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
1900, then expanded in 1952. The original part is very small.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
1884. 3 story Victorian.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23

So that is 213 years if my ciphering is correct.

Bout the same number of years that Wabi has been a dumbass.
Posted By: leemar28 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
The original part is a 2 story log cabin. A frame addition was added in the late 1890s. Nothing is square or level. Was a cold drafty house. Then in 1994 I got divorced , and the chimney caught fire and the house sustained pretty severe damage. Had good insurance. It's now insulated, new wiring and plumbing , vinyl siding now covers the logs.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
Built in 1975.
Finished mine in 1998. Total in was 162K.
During the floods of 2016, took better than 250K to put the thing back togther.
Originally Posted by greydog
I dug the basement in 1993 and we were able to live in it for a couple of years. I started on the top of the house in 1995 , but didn't finish it until 1997. Got electricity in 1997. In my defense, it was a one man show and I had to break often for hunting, fishing, and other necessary recreation. For a few years, I even had a job. I built it from the basement to the roof. I did the plumbing, the wiring, and the septic system. I mixed and poured the concrete. It's nothing special, but it's mine. GD

^^^^This^^^^

Sub'd the concrete, the roof and the rough in, pre-concrete plumbing. We don't have a cellar! About the only difference!
Except I didn't have a "real" job. Drove a tractor for my
b-i-l for hunting rights and a little mad money. 😉

10gamag

First off, I wasn't here in 1904, so how would i know? LOL!

All of SW Oklahoma is laid out in the "township" method. All roads run north and south and east and west. All roads are a mile apart. Each "section" is 640 acres, or a "section"!
From the air, it looks like a patchwork quilt. Getting lost is insane! You can't get over 1/2 mile from a road. ....and I have NO idea when they came in and bladed out roads. Presumably, it was done with horse drawn equipment. (?)

Where I grew up in East Texas, directions were given using landmarks, road names and know locations.
"... Turn at Pat Cook's store. Take a left at Watson Springs cemetery. Their driveway is the second one on the right past the holly tree that sits in the middle (literally!) of the road! ..."
I've made many a mile following directions scribbled on the back of an envelope!
Directions to my home were; "From the city limit sign, 9/10ths of a mile south, turn left, it's the second house on the left."
To get to my grandparents house, it was the same directions, except: "....turn left, follow that road until it T's. Take a right, it'll be the first house on the left."

Up here in Oklahoma, you get: "... From Empire Rd and Hwy 63, go 3 south, 2 east, quarter south and it's on the east side of the road! ..."
Posted By: jbmi Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
We had it built in the Summer of 1985, two story with walk-out basement for just under 75K
2,500 sq. ft. finished. Today the value is close to 600K,
Good part of the country, good part of the state, great neighborhood, great location,.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
One of them turned 100 this year.
Posted By: bluedcanoed Re: How Old is Your House? - 09/18/23
114 years old.
© 24hourcampfire