Home
Posted By: Fubarski Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23

The human vacuum cleaner.

Couldn't hit, but the other team couldn't get a ball by him on defense.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
He was a respectable hitter. Batted over 300 a couple of times and banged out more than 100 RBIs a couple times. RIP Brooks
Posted By: smokepole Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
More than respectable.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
Brooks was a hell of a ball player. Rip
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
He was a respectable hitter. Batted over 300 a couple of times and banged out more than 100 RBIs a couple times. RIP Brooks

Mark Belanger was the one who couldn't hit.

The classic picture of Brooks had him flying parallel to the ground with a ball in his glove.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
Brooks was a good player RIp
Posted By: Coyote10 Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Couldn't hit? You ever played baseball? I think he was just shy of 3000 hits. Like 2900 or something. I'd say he could hit.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
[Linked Image from 64.media.tumblr.com]
Posted By: rflshtr Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
Based on WAR ratings he is the seventh best third baseman. Great defense, adequate hitter.
Posted By: okie Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
Posted By: okie Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
Posted By: Ramblin_Razorback Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
He was the league MVP in his 27-year-old season (batting average .317, led league with 118 RBIs,and had OPS+ of 145).

Speaking of OPS+, starting with his 22-year-old season and continuing through his Age 37 season, his OPS+ was always 90 or above (100 is MLB average for the season), and 10 of those seasons his OPS+ was 108 or higher, including his Age 37 season.

He did have some down seasons batting, and before 22 and after 37 his bat wasn't as good, but from 22 to 37, he was a decent to great hitter, every season. .
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
Many third basemen nowadays are like linebackers. Brooks Robinson played w grace and reflexes like a cat. He was awesome. RIP sir.
Posted By: AdventureBound Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
Originally Posted by rflshtr
Based on WAR ratings he is the seventh best third baseman. Great defense, adequate hitter.
Who are the top ten 3rd basemen? I am particularly curious to know how Adrian Beltre rates against Brooks.
Posted By: pinotguy Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
Mike Schmidt and Nolan Arenado have to be on that list somewhere. Chipper Jones and Scott Rolen too.
Posted By: hanco Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
I remember watching him on TV. Rip
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
My mom dated him in high school at Little Rock Central. She said he was a gentleman in all aspects. RIP
Posted By: killerv Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
Dad took me to a card show in the 80s and got to meet him and get his autograph. I always thought it was cool to play 3rd because of him. My son got put on 3rd for the first time ever the other night on the day Robinson died. I thought to myself, if there was ever a day for him to play 3rd its today...
Posted By: softailrider Re: Brooks Robinson - 09/28/23
Originally Posted by Fubarski

I saw him play many times. I thought he was a solid hitter. Tigers had a 3rd basement for many years named Aurelio Rodigurez, I actually thought he was a better 3rd baseman, but he really could not hit.
© 24hourcampfire