Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
My wife has me using a trail camera to see some stray cats she's feeding. Take a look at the white thing. These 2 shots are as close together in time as the camera allows. It's moving fast whatever it is. The cats seem to ignore it and barely move between shots.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
No bug , moth maybe.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
Orb wandering the earth, from another dimension.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
Looks like a moth to me.
Posted By: lostsixgunner Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
Ghost
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
A moth would explain the white color. A bat's hair would be darker while bugs reflect white.
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
Flying Squirrel? I have only ever seen them a night.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
Originally Posted by slumlord

Originally Posted by granitestate1
Flying Squirrel? I have only ever seen them a night.
There aren't any here.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
I think Idaho does have flying squirrels...
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
I'll say moth.
Posted By: Rolly Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
You’re feeding stray cats? They are the worst predictors of our wild birds there is! They hunt and kill birds 24x7x365. At least capture them and have them sterilized so they don’t continue to grow in population. Better yet, eliminate em .
Originally Posted by Muffin
I think Idaho does have flying squirrels...
Yes, but not here in Twin Falls county. A map of the range of the northern flying squirrel shows them in the north and far southeastern counties.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
Bugs, I get alerts like that from my cameras.
Posted By: KC Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
I'm thinking that it's a piece of paper blowing on the wind.
It's going the wrong direction for the wind. After they finished the feed, the trays ended up by the tree in the background.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
I had cicadas flying in front of my IR security cameras and they glow so much that they looked like flying rats.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
Looks like a flying squirrel.
Posted By: Cntrmass Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
There’s a rat by the fence in leafy camo!
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
I heard they can't play baseball in China because they keep eating all the bats anyone know if that is true?
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
UFO
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
That is not a bat. This is a bat.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
Moth.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
Originally Posted by Rolly
You’re feeding stray cats? They are the worst predictors of our wild birds there is! They hunt and kill birds 24x7x365. At least capture them and have them sterilized so they don’t continue to grow in population. Better yet, eliminate em .
About like raptors and small game yet most have no problems watching and enjoying them.
Believe me, it's not MY idea.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
Bat? Perhaps

This one from a couple weeks back certainly appears to be, given the size and wing shape. First pic it's about 30' from the camera

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Next pic can certainly see the wings at the top of the post for the chicken yard fence above that firewood round sitting there

Any can figure me out this one, I'll be appreciative grin A flyiing herd of rats? Elon's skylink?

Posted By: las Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
I have only ever seen two. One I caught in live trap when at UAF. A few years later my first Lab caught a half grown one in mid-day, at my Cosna River cabin in Interior. Th squirrel mis-judged distance and trajectory to the next tree, and Tuvaaq caught it about 3 feet off the ground, just as it landed.

He was heart-broken when I threw it in the river 3 days later when it started to stink. He had carried it everywhere in the meantime, he was so proud of it.

He did the same thing with the first pink (humpy) salmon that he caught by himself.
Posted By: COLORADO_LUCKYDOG Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
Originally Posted by Stickfight
I heard they can't play baseball in China because they keep eating all the bats anyone know if that is true?

That's phugging funny!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
+1
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
Originally Posted by las
I have only ever seen two. One I caught in live trap when at UAF. A few years later my first Lab caught a half grown one in mid-day, at my Cosna River cabin in Interior. Th squirrel mis-judged distance and trajectory to the next tree, and Tuvaaq caught it about 3 feet off the ground, just as it landed.

He was heart-broken when I threw it in the river 3 days later when it started to stink. He had carried it everywhere in the meantime, he was so proud of it.

He did the same thing with the first pink (humpy) salmon that he caught by himself.
I seem to recall Field Grade posting pics of the ones that nested in a tree next to his porch.

I've only seen a dead on on the ground in the woods of NW Cali as I recall.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Is this a bat? - 10/09/23
Caught them in marten traps once in a while around here
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Is this a bat? - 10/10/23
Definitely flying squirrel migration season.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Is this a bat? - 10/10/23
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Definitely flying squirrel migration season.
WTH?

They heading to AZ and Padre Island or something??
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Is this a bat? - 10/10/23
Coupla Conibears would make those cats into good cats……
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Is this a bat? - 10/10/23
Originally Posted by slumlord

Most likely.
© 24hourcampfire