Home
Posted By: stxhunter What are these - 10/12/23
Flowers called, they were growing in a lot next to a new house I working in.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: tzone Re: What are these - 10/12/23
Weeds
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: What are these - 10/12/23
Stxhunter those are what is called Passion Flowers.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: What are these - 10/12/23
Thanks, I had never seen them around here before.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: What are these - 10/12/23
Very pretty and I am looking for something similar to cover a small arbor. Might take a look at em.

Some folks also call them 'Maypops"....which is what we used to call off brand tires.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: What are these - 10/12/23
They are vine-like. I call it kudzu, pisses the wife off. They do attract a lot of butterflies.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: What are these - 10/12/23
Passion flower, also known as Maypop. Stomp on the fruit and they give a “pop”.
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: What are these - 10/12/23
Damn things can take over a corn field to the point it will clog up the header and choke off the picker. Spent many a unhappy hour cutting the damn things out of the works with a pocket knife ,laying under the thing in the fire ants,sandspurs skeeters, etc
Posted By: KFWA Re: What are these - 10/12/23
Wife planted them along the fence where we lived years ago. In two seasons they had taken over it. She wanted that though and had a few varieties of them
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: What are these - 10/13/23
Good to know - looks like I need an alternative.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: What are these - 10/13/23
They are very seasonal. Even in Southern climates. Easy to clean up.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: What are these - 10/13/23
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Very pretty and I am looking for something similar to cover a small arbor. Might take a look at em.

Some folks also call them 'Maypops"....which is what we used to call off brand tires.
Ever considered a climbing rose on each side?

Honeysuckle?

Jasmine?

Or veggies like cucumber or melons?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: What are these - 10/13/23
Had em at my place in Bastrop. They attract a particular butterfly called the Gulf Futillary. Their catipillar looks wicked but basically harmless
Posted By: stxhunter Re: What are these - 10/13/23
So these are what passion fruit comes from.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: What are these - 10/13/23
Originally Posted by stxhunter
So these are what passion fruit comes from.

I believe that's correct.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: What are these - 10/13/23
Yes that is a passion fruit vine
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: What are these - 10/17/23
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Honeysuckle?

Jasmine?

Valsdad I planted Jasmine at my old house and it seemed to flourish. After some years I finally peaked at my neighbors back wall and it was covered in it. I need something that won't burn up. The arbor is pretty small too. I need to see if I can find what I planted his year that lasted till about late July. this year was brutal.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: What are these - 10/17/23
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Honeysuckle?

Jasmine?

Valsdad I planted Jasmine at my old house and it seemed to flourish. After some years I finally peaked at my neighbors back wall and it was covered in it. I need something that won't burn up. The arbor is pretty small too. I need to see if I can find what I planted his year that lasted till about late July. this year was brutal. I am liking the idea of maybe trying grapes ? ? ? Anyone got any tips?
Posted By: Tminc Re: What are these - 10/17/23
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Had em at my place in Bastrop. They attract a particular butterfly called the Gulf Futillary. Their catipillar looks wicked but basically harmless

They eat mine to the ground spring and fall.Pretty butterflies come out of those ravenous little Caterpillars.
© 24hourcampfire