Home
From RealClearHistory.

The US stopping Communists from doing what Communists do. I had never paid attention to the numbers before.

The Berlin Airlift

Interesting article on the bizarre Northrop XP-79 on that link too.
I had the pleasure of meeting Col. Gail Halvorsen, the “Berlin Candy Bomber” some years ago. Heck of a guy and a great story to boot.
One of the greatest humanitarian relief efforts ever!

Uncle Joe had used starvation to good effect on his people once before and had every reason to believe that Berlin could be subdued in the same fashion. He didn’t understand that a country like the USA could view another country with compassion and equanimity - especially a country which had committed the atrocities such as the Germans had - and make such a huge commitment to aiding that country.

I wonder if kids are even taught anything about the Berlin Airlift in history class today?
My dad's first cousin flew in the Berlin airlift. Just a few short years before that he was dropping bombs on Berlin and various parts of Germany. I'd love to see his log books.

kwg
Supplying starved and freezing Berliners should be one of America's proudest moments.

Apposed to $100 billion plus sent to prolong suffering in Ukraine.
If you haven’t read this book,
The Candy Bombers you owe it to yourself.
The Russians tried every dirty trick they could think of to get ahold of West Berlin. Reading their playbook from the late ‘40s and comparing to the leftist actions of the past few years is eye opening too. In my opinion this is the best book on the subject.
But the Americans and Brits never gave up, and the German people have remembered this a long time.
Reon
© 24hourcampfire