Home
Posted By: mjbgalt Recipe for pheasant? - 10/16/23
Got a few pheasant breasts from a hunt today. Any good recipes for me? Maybe even crock pot stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Posted By: lostleader Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/16/23
If breasts and you can tolerate some heat- cube, blacken and serve over rice.
Otherwise there is always cream of mushroom soup and a crock pot.
Posted By: paguy Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/16/23
Roll them in flour and brown them in a fry pan, put them in the slow cooker. Mix two cans of cream of mushroom soup with two cans of milk, add a package of lipton onion soup mix and cook on low for about four or five hours and have over rice.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/16/23
Originally Posted by paguy
Roll them in flour and brown them in a fry pan, put them in the slow cooker. Mix two cans of cream of mushroom soup with two cans of milk, add a package of lipton onion soup mix and cook on low for about four or five hours and have over rice.
Made my mouth water. This man knows pheasant.
Posted By: RAM Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/16/23
X2, wild rice
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/16/23
My favorite is to make the breasts into cordon Bleu and make pheasant salad sandwiches out of the legs and thighs. Another thing with breasts is chop up, dip in melted butter, roll in crushed rice crispies that have been seasoned with Lawry's and bake at 350, be careful how long you cook them because they dry quickly. Works with turkey breast or chicken, too.
Posted By: Full3r Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/16/23
Cube, put cube and cream cheese in jalapeño, wrap in bacon, grill. Lite salt and pepper.

Yum
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/16/23
Saw a schnitzel recipe that looked good too
I have younger kids so we usually just cut the pheasant breast into nuggets or strips, roll them in an Italian breadcrumbs/parm/salt & pepper mix and then pan fry as “chicken fingers” either with wild rice or spaghetti. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: lostleader Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/16/23
Iffn you want to get fancy, pound the breasts thin, roll around a piece of asparagus, wrap in bacon and grill until pheasant reaches done temperature. You can marinate in worchestire or whatever if want to be sporty.

Seriously blackened pheasant is pretty darn good and my DNA test says I'm only 1% French and never lived in LA.

Ruffed grouse, on the other hand, needs a mire dedicate touch than heavy spice or mushroom soup.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/16/23
Stir fry with vegetables is quick and easy too.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
I make pheasant enchiladas and a jalapena cream cheese wrap.
Posted By: Osky Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Best I’ve ever had by far was from a guy who made ravioli with pheasants and a white sauce. Fantastic.

Osky
We always filleted meat off the breast and chicken fried them. Probably ate more pheasant than chicken for the first 15 years of my life. Not too much different than chicken breast if done correctly in my opinion.
Posted By: Speedgoat3006 Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Another vote for pheasant fingers. Probably my favorite way, however, is as a pheasant piccata. Cut the breast thin, flour, lightly, sautéed in butter, when the meat is browned remove all the meat, deglaze a pan with more butter, wine and lemon juice.
Posted By: 444afic Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
My favorite is bacon-wrapped pheasant kabobs, with or without a slice of jalapeño in the middle. Charcoal grill.
Posted By: Farming Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Pheasant breast can be a little dry. I really like making pheasant stroganoff out of them. Hint, if you like Horseradish. A little in added in the sauce adds to it.
Posted By: las Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Shoot, breast, fry in butter to pink inside (if it's "dry" you are over-cooking) , eat.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Cut the breasts into 1" cubes and Fondu the breast cubes in Peanut Oil.

Make different Dipping Sauces from different countries, that way you will have the pure taste of excellent Pheasant, without overcooking it or masking the delicious flavor.

When you Fondue the cubes take it out of the oil as soon as it stops bubbling.

I do my Ruffed Grouse that way as well.

Enjoy! cool
Posted By: hardway Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Originally Posted by Morewood
Made my mouth water. This man knows pheasant.

Pretty close to how we have always done it as well..... I'd even throw in some grated parm at the end and I also like it over mashed potatoes sometimes too.
Posted By: elkcountry Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23

This is how we do ours! We trade off between biscuits, egg noodles or rice!

Another way is pound out the breasts thin, egg wash and coat in Panko bread crumbs and fry in about 1/4” of olive oil. Makes a great schnitzel!! Works great with wild turkeys too.

Headed to ND for upland birds in a couple weeks.

EC
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
You can do fajitas with them just don’t overcook.

Done with lots of red, yellow and green bell peppers and onions it is very good.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
You can do fajitas with them just don’t overcook.

Done with lots of red, yellow and green bell peppers and onions it is very good.

Yep, done that as well. I let it marinate for a day or two....comes out really good.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23

Use real mishrooms, celery, onion and garlic, a little stock, some fresh herbs and add wild rice for last 1.5 hrs.
I make Pheasant pies with them. Do them the same as chicken pies.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
A sous vide cooker will turn even the legs into tender morsels. Everyone should get-one of these things. I just finished a big chunk of pork loin I’d precooked a couple of days ago. A few minutes on the countertop electric griddle, and it was perfect.

After they’ve poached in fat for the required hours, you can use the meat in any number of ways, or just eat it.

This guys got some good recipes:

https://honest-food.net/wild-game/pheasant-quail-partridge-chukar-recipes/
Posted By: nahma_mich Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Posted By: Pugs Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Eileen Clarke's book Upland Game Cookery is well worth the $20 she asks for it @ https://www.riflesandrecipes.com/product/upland-game-bird-recipes/

Her pheasant tortilla soup is one of my favorites as is the pheasant pot pie.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
I bought one of her cookbooks, intended to give it as a gift, but after looking through it I decided to keep it.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Ended up doing schnitzel...flour and egg and panko and fried in olive oil and butter. then added new potatoes and salad for a damn fine meal
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Betting this would work, too !

https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/buffalo-chicken-tacos/

Did a modified version last night, with out the tortillas, with bone in chicken thighs;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

grin
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Betting this would work, too !

https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/buffalo-chicken-tacos/

Did a modified version last night, with out the tortillas, with bone in chicken thighs;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

grin

Looks great.

Probably works well with chicken thighs which can stand long cooking and braising without ending up dry.

I’d be careful with the pheasant breasts. It’s wild game and I would cook just barely done if not a bit short
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Yes that's the one thing I would change...I would cook them a minute shorter.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/17/23
Truth Rick !

The recipe says you can use Chicken breasts or thighs, but you're right, wild bird is different & should always be "under", unless you want sawdust !
This is my favorite and I’ve been eating these birds for sixty years: pheasant Marsala—

https://foodforhunters.blogspot.com/2019/08/pheasant-marsala.html

Exquisite.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/18/23
Always ‘under glass’ !!!

lol
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/18/23
Grama would bake 2 stuffed pheasants with a stuffed chicken in a covered roasting pan. Pretty awesome.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/18/23
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
This is my favorite and I’ve been eating these birds for sixty years: pheasant Marsala—

https://foodforhunters.blogspot.com/2019/08/pheasant-marsala.html

Exquisite.
That does look good.
Posted By: MonkeyWrench Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/18/23
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-cacciatore-sicilian-style

How my grandma always cooked ours when I was young. Great with cottontail, too.
Posted By: Tesoro Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/18/23
Having been raised by a french mother: make a coq-au-vin with pheasant.
Posted By: add Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/18/23
You had me at Cream of Mushroom Soup

sick
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Recipe for pheasant? - 10/18/23
Hell yeah, anything "marsala" is good !!
© 24hourcampfire