Home
Posted By: LouisB Vehicle "Worth" 1989 Bronco II - 10/20/23
My duckduckgo FOO is not working and i have no luck with the normal companies sites . . .

SO

Of the groups I am part of this group seems the broadest in scope of knowledge . . . and I kinda need some help

It is a 1989 Bronco II, 6 cyl, manual, 4wd, NO rust ( from out west) 300K miles,engine rebuilt at 170K. trans rebuilt also.

I was talking to him and he said his daughter told him that it was only worth 2,000 bucks . . . she drives a Lexus and thinks being out on a golf course is out in the boon docks.
I told him I think she is wrong, but not too sure how wrong.
This is NOT for sale, I am just wanting a knowledgeable guess as to price. Maybe I eat crow, but hoping to tell her to stick to accounting . . . NO matter how high of a level!
$6,800
Less than $2000
Slightly less than a 1979 mustang II and slightly more than a 1976 pinto with a blown motor.
$35.00
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
$6,800
LOL…
Originally Posted by jackmountain
$6,800
LOL…

SOLD!!!
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Originally Posted by jackmountain
$6,800
LOL…

SOLD!!!

LoLoLoL!!!!!
4 to 6k here in Utah, no joke.
$6,800
I agree with this pricing. Anyone crazy enough to buy a worn out 35 year old vehicle is crazy enough to spend a ton of money on it.
You gonna have to pay me to take it
I owned an 88 model, it drove well and was reliable over 145k miles. They got a bad rep due to idiots rolling them over, but I'd gladly pay $4k for another one.
I had an 89 Bronco II, nice truck. Had the 2.9 V-6 (the good V-6) and a 5 speed & 4 wd. with lockout hubs. Got really good MPG and handled well with a little taller & wider tires & wheels. What I didn't like was no opening rear windows and rear hatch backglass. Wish I could find another one. I did like my 68 Bronco with the 289 V-8 & 3 speed better.
Pics?
I had a BroncoII for my then wife and a Ranger 4X4 for me. I bought them together. At 80K miles they both puked the 5 speed transmissions. A rebuilt will do the same. The AT was not a big problem.

Walk away!
I had a 1990 model that was one of the best vehicles I’ve ever had. A neighbor bought it a couple years ago and he is fully restoring it.
How much life is left in this vehicle? Without it turning into a money pit?
Originally Posted by Jericho
How much life is left in this vehicle? Without it turning into a money pit?

Miles are miles, and that has 300K. Value: $2,500.00
I wouldn’t give it a second look. Zero interest in any of the Broncos.
Bronco II? Run. Carburator issues.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I had a 1990 model that was one of the best vehicles I’ve ever had. A neighbor bought it a couple years ago and he is fully restoring it.

Wife bought a 1989 Bronco 11 new and drove it for several years, before trading it in on an Explorer. I loved driving it, and that was one vehicle I wish we'd kept. A little on the small side if you like a lot of room, but we didn't mind because it drove so good.
Probably somewhere between 1200 and 1600
Impossible to say without pics... or more details.

I had a 1989 Dodge with 350k... sold years ago. Probably worth $18k+ in 2023.

As for a Pint sized Ford... No idea without more info.
no idea what its worth. what I'd pay for it is however is about what she's thinking.

but that said, if its no rust and is capable of a good restoration, you put it on a site for enthusiasts or even bring a trailer.com and it would probably bring more.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

My first car was a ‘90 Bronco II. Awesome vehicle. Had 209k miles when dad handed it over to me. I drove it through high school and up to 242k miles. Had an awesome turning radius, great mileage, great ground clearance. I left for the Marines and it sat for a few years after that. We donated it to my high-school auto shop.

Originally Posted by Fireball2

‘89-90 were EFI
I think it would fetch closer to $5K if you advertised it correctly and everything works.

I believe the carbs went away after ‘86 on the Bronco II so don’t listen to retard Fireballz. She is just upset she can’t afford a Bronco II.

When every word you type is wrong... a deliberate lie... or brokedick to the core...

You will eventually lose credibility on this forum.

Just saying...

Tighten it up...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I remember back when they were fairly new and worth something that if you broke one of them back windows that wrapped over was pretty much totaled..
Originally Posted by ldholton
I remember back when they were fairly new and worth something that if you broke one of them back windows that wrapped over was pretty much totaled..

I believe The back window on the Bronco II didn’t “wrap over”
Saw one once with a lift and a 5.0 swap. Bet it was murder on u-joints but I can't imagine having a bad time trying to get it stuck (once stuck I reserve the right to change my opinion)
Was it the side windows that wrapped?
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
You gonna have to pay me to take it

X2
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

I believe The back window on the Bronco II didn’t “wrap over”

They curved inward toward the roof and they were insanely expensive.

They're actually a really cool design but most years were cursed due to being an 80s era introduction. Emissions, the attempts at auto-4WD, the fact that Ford still didn't know how to make vehicles.

The front axles were cool. Like an independent/straight axle hybrid.

Most still had smoker vents. That alone makes them worth more than 2K.
Rust is the killer. Everything else mechanical has a service life and a 1989 vehicle has metal parts, not today's plastic. Replacement parts like shocks, brakes, bearings, master cylinders, alternators, etc. are all cheap and can be done by anyone. And people are waking up to that fact now. A 1989 Bronco will still be on the road long past any modern Lego truck. If the interior is fairly clean and it has no issues, $4,000+ easily. Look on Craigslist and see what $2,000 buys you.
Originally Posted by grouseman
Rust is the killer. Everything else mechanical has a service life and a 1989 vehicle has metal parts, not today's plastic. Replacement parts like shocks, brakes, bearings, master cylinders, alternators, etc. are all cheap and can be done by anyone. And people are waking up to that fact now. A 1989 Bronco will still be on the road long past any modern Lego truck. If the interior is fairly clean and it has no issues, $4,000+ easily. Look on Craigslist and see what $2,000 buys you.

Well - kinda depends on parameters no?

I mean, it did have an engine rebuild at 170k - if we're comparing apples/apples and that's still considered "on the road" even after engine AND transmission rebuild as a sign of longevity - I bet I go farther than 170k on my new "lego truck" before rebuild and then when I rebuild it continues....

Cars have gotten so good I think we take them for granted these days. Used to be 100k was a ton of miles and wore out. Now that's 4 years old and only 1/2 way to "getting old".
in some areas anything with working 4WD s worth $3k, that is in 1997 dollars.

but it is a Bronco II and didn't those have a very early version of push button 4WD?

what is a Mustang II worth?
Originally Posted by IZH27

Y’all are bringing back memories here.

Yes, it was the rear side windows that wrapped over the top of the cab.

Accidentally threw a football through the windshield on mine once. Replacement was about $185 IIRC. Good memories.

Glad I never broke a side window though! I could see that being pricey.
Originally Posted by IZH27

Y’all are bringing back memories here.

Yes, it was the rear side windows that wrapped over the top of the cab.

Accidentally threw a football through the windshield on mine once. Replacement was about $185 IIRC. Good memories.

Glad I never broke a side window though! I could see that being pricey.

That's what it was.

Fugk I haven't seen one of these in a while.
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by grouseman

Well - kinda depends on parameters no?

I mean, it did have an engine rebuild at 170k - if we're comparing apples/apples and that's still considered "on the road" even after engine AND transmission rebuild as a sign of longevity - I bet I go farther than 170k on my new "lego truck" before rebuild and then when I rebuild it continues....

Cars have gotten so good I think we take them for granted these days. Used to be 100k was a ton of miles and wore out. Now that's 4 years old and only 1/2 way to "getting old".

My dad always said the same thing about 100,000 miles being pretty much what you could expect out of a car from his childhood.

My truck now is 16 years old and 200,000 miles and runs like a top, very much like my Bronco did. But it’s got that pushrod 4.2L v6. It’s the simple designs that last.

One thing about old cars wearing out though is that they are easy to work on. I have no idea how many actual miles my 67 Mustang has on it. But pretty much everything on that car can be fixed or replaced with readily available parts. That car’s longevity is truly indefinite, as long as whoever owns it keeps it alive and doesn’t run it off the road or into something.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

but it is a Bronco II and didn't those have a very early version of push button 4WD?

A bunch of them did, yes.

I think you had to drive in reverse to unlock the hubs.
yes side windows is actually what I meant was better wording than back window. thanks for those who caught and corrected this..
https://www.motortrend.com/features/ford-bronco-ii-history-epic-disaster/

The "rollover" issues of Samurai's and Bronco IIs were complete fugking bullschit and specific to the United States because of United States media.
Originally Posted by deflave

The "rollover" issues of Samurai's and Bronco IIs were complete fugking bullschit and specific to the United States because of United States media.

Okay. More on this. My sister ended up with a ‘87 B II and rolled it a year or two after she got it. Of course, the fact that she had just taken a Xanax and hit a curb while making a turn over an overpass may have had something to do with it.

I never felt like I was in danger of rolling mine…
I think it would fetch closer to $5K if you advertised it correctly and everything works.

I believe the carbs went away after ‘86 on the Bronco II so don’t listen to retard Fireballz. She is just upset she can’t afford a Bronco II.

Oh dear, flave's upset again. LOL

We had an earlier Bronco II with 60K on the odometer when we got it. I still remember that little motor ticking away, when it ran. The carburetors on the earlier ones were a constant aggravation. You really didn't think about the way it ran, you just tried to see where you were going around the headliner that Ford couldn't figure out how to glue up.

Toyota trucks went to EFI and turbo in the same time frame and are still sought out today, Bronco II's, not so much.

LOL
Always liked them.

Better built and Toyota on the grill,
There would be a big cult following.

Hell, Jeep on the grill and flat fenders.
Always liked them.

I worked at a Ford dealer in the late 80s, 1986 was a landmark year, as was 87.

A 16 year old kid could easily see the difference in quality between 85 and 86 vehicles. Most noticeable in interior materials and build.

87 was the big EFI switch, with performance increases and
less fuel delivery issues.
I’d drive that mofo..

Hella little huntin truck as long as you don’t try to put 44” Gumbo Mud Buster 2000 tires on it.

And you can work on the motor on that thing, unlike newer vehicles.

#dontneednostinkincomputers

Oh dear, flave's upset again. LOL

We had an earlier Bronco II with 60K on the odometer when we got it. I still remember that little motor ticking away, when it ran. The carburetors on the earlier ones were a constant aggravation. You really didn't think about the way it ran, you just tried to see where you were going around the headliner that Ford couldn't figure out how to glue up.

Toyota trucks went to EFI and turbo in the same time frame and are still sought out today, Bronco II's, not so much.

LOL

It's not my fault you're an idiot.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Always liked them.

Probably true.

Okay. More on this. My sister ended up with a ‘87 B II and rolled it a year or two after she got it. Of course, the fact that she had just taken a Xanax and hit a curb while making a turn over an overpass may have had something to do with it.

I never felt like I was in danger of rolling mine…

Yeah.

Total nonsense.

But the old wive's tale lives on.

Same for three wheelers.

Blah, blah, blah,,,

It's not my fault you're an idiot.

It's almost like you try and provoke Ballz sometimes...
You girls need to get a life.
Worth around 2000 to 2500 around here. Two for sale in LaPine recently. The nicest one went for 2500, the one with a blown engine, went for five hundred. You can fit two hunters and one cow elk in a Bronco 2. I've seen it done.

That's what mirrors are for.lol

They went 2.9L EFI in 1985.5. Prior to that had a 2.8L Carb'd. I went from 32K to 95K on an '85 Ranger pickup w/2.8L carb'd w/5-spd manual and never had carb trouble. The only time it failed to start was -42F ambient. I took the battery out, put it in my dorm room for a few hrs, re-installed and it fired up. In the 60k I drove it I replaced the water pump, the front hubs/wheel-bearings, and an ignition module on the back-side of the distributer. The distributor cap could be an annoyance in fluffy snow. Condensation would build up under the cap and kill the motor. Had to wait 10-15min until it dissipated and/or froze then you could go again. Beyond that it was a pretty darn reliable/dependable vehicle for a college kid and what did go wrong I could fix myself in the dorm parking lot.

I never really did like the bronco II but I did like that vintage Ranger pickup.
Originally Posted by horse1

They went 2.9L EFI in 1985.5. Prior to that had a 2.8L Carb'd. I went from 32K to 95K on an '85 Ranger pickup w/2.8L carb'd and never had carb trouble. The only time it failed to start was -42F ambient. I took the battery out, put it in my dorm room for a few hrs, re-installed and it fired up.

I never really did like the bronco II but I did like that vintage Ranger pickup.

The original Danger Rangers were one hell for stout little trucks. Way better than the S10 of the same era IMO.

Plus they make for great, cheap pre-runners.
Originally Posted by johnn

Had a 91 full size Eddie Bauer that worked like that. No issues. I did witness a 95 or so Explorer snap a front driveshaft going into 4 wheel drive on the fly.
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by horse1

They went 2.9L EFI in 1985.5. Prior to that had a 2.8L Carb'd. I went from 32K to 95K on an '85 Ranger pickup w/2.8L carb'd and never had carb trouble. The only time it failed to start was -42F ambient. I took the battery out, put it in my dorm room for a few hrs, re-installed and it fired up.

The original Danger Rangers were one hell for stout little trucks. Way better than the S10 of the same era IMO.

Plus they make for great, cheap pre-runners.

Agreed, until they put the 4.3L in the S-10.
Was loading lumber onto a trailer and I hear a Ford 7.3 coming up behind me. Turn around and someone had tricked out a full size OJ Simpson Bronco with 1 ton axles and the diesel engine. Couldn't stop looking at it. Way too cool.
Originally Posted by LouisB
My duckduckgo FOO is not working and i have no luck with the normal companies sites . . .

SO

Of the groups I am part of this group seems the broadest in scope of knowledge . . . and I kinda need some help

It is a 1989 Bronco II, 6 cyl, manual, 4wd, NO rust ( from out west) 300K miles,engine rebuilt at 170K. trans rebuilt also.

I was talking to him and he said his daughter told him that it was only worth 2,000 bucks . . . she drives a Lexus and thinks being out on a golf course is out in the boon docks.
I told him I think she is wrong, but not too sure how wrong.
This is NOT for sale, I am just wanting a knowledgeable guess as to price. Maybe I eat crow, but hoping to tell her to stick to accounting . . . NO matter how high of a level!

I had an 87 with about half that many miles on it. Bought around 2006 for $1500 and I overpaid for the thing. Sure wouldnt spend $1500 on another one

You need to find a job.

LOL
Originally Posted by johnn

Boy that was a knee slapper.

You need to find a job.

LOL

Dude...

He has a job...

He is a certified shower pan installer.

Best in the state of Oregon.
Posted By: 79S Re: Vehicle "Worth" 1989 Bronco II - 10/20/23
Pards, remember the Pard creed. Don’t pick on Pard retards.
I can't imagine that it would have a bushing or an interior part in one piece.
I’ve had a Bronco of some description literally my entire life, still do. Never understood the hype about them rolling. They’re a short coupled 4WD with a high center of gravity, of course they’re easier to roll than a Delta 88. Don’t be an idiot and you won’t have any issue.

One thing that got a buddy as pertaining to the Bronco II. When buying make double sure it’s 4wd. Bronco IIs were the only iteration of Bronco offered in 2wd. He felt like a dumbass just like the buddy who bought a 2wd Samurai thinking they were all 4x4s.
Posted By: 79S Re: Vehicle "Worth" 1989 Bronco II - 10/20/23
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve had a Bronco of some description literally my entire life, still do. Never understood the hype about them rolling. They’re a short coupled 4WD with a high center of gravity, of course they’re easier to roll than a Delta 88. Don’t be an idiot and you won’t have any issue.

One thing that got a buddy as pertaining to the Bronco II. When buying make double sure it’s 4wd. Bronco IIs were the only iteration of Bronco offered in 2wd. He felt like a dumbass just like the buddy who bought a 2wd Samurai thinking they were all 4x4s.

Pard, a lot of campfire pards say all you need is a posi trac rear end you don’t need no 4 wheel drive.
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by TheKid

Pard, a lot of campfire pards say all you need is a posi trac rear end you don’t need no 4 wheel drive.

HA! I got a full e-locker in mine and I have yet to use it, the 4wd gets me out fine.
My very first job, place had a handful of Bronco II’s that were used as delivery trucks. 4 or 5 of them. At least half were always broke down. They seemed to be pretty epic POS.

Kinda a cool looking little 4x4 though. Has some throwback feel to the original Broncos. Cool plaid looking interior with the fake wood. 😂
Originally Posted by Heym06
Worth around 2000 to 2500 around here. Two for sale in LaPine recently. The nicest one went for 2500, the one with a blown engine, went for five hundred. You can fit two hunters and one cow elk in a Bronco 2. I've seen it done.

That would be something to see. God bless those fold down seats!
Fuel injection
I had an 86, paid 6700 for it in 90, standard 4x4 was a decent little truck till the 4 wheel drive went on it and I tried driving it in a snow storm in the snowbelt of northeast Ohio, didn't do to well in 2 wheel drive.
My brother had an almost identical Bronco back in the day. It SUCKED. No power at all. He had to put it in low range to get started on any decent hill. He got rid of it quick.

How much would an insurance company pay for one that is totaled right now is hard to say. Maybe a lot.

My son bought a 2009 Honda Fit with 200,000 miles on it just to commute to work. Paid $2500 for it 2 years ago. It was totaled this summer when a distracted driver rear ended him at a light. Insurance paid him $7200+ cut a second $300 check to cover the new tires he had just put on it.
My experience is that the chittier a vehicle is, the better an insurance company compensates you for it.

A $50k vehicle, with 500 miles has seriously deprecated.
5 years old, bought 3 years ago, you still will be upside down.

15-20years old, 150k+on the odometer, a pos work car with rust?

You paid $2500 three years ago, total it and collect $3500.

20 years ago a buddy had a crapped out Subaru given to him to drive in the fields.
Danny decided it could be run on the road, and hounded the folks until they gave him a title. Soup can patches on the exhaust, other fly by night patches and he drove it for several years.
A drunk hit him, and he got $2500 insurance.
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Fuel injection

Yeah Firenoballz,

You dumb fugk.

LOL
One of my roommates in college had a bronco jr. He loved it when I called it that lol. Was a tiny little POS. Broke down on him a couple times running to WV to hunt or whatever he was doing over there.
© 24hourcampfire