Home
Posted By: ILCurley CorrosionX uses - 10/23/23
I recently purchased some CorrosionX after learning about it on this site. In addition to my guns I wiped the threads of the bulbs on some outdoor lighting to try to prevent seizing. I wiped the ball/hitch on my truck and cleaned the tongue of the boat trailer where the ball goes. I have a tube of the grease that I'll use on the the boat trailer bearings and an aerosol can of the stuff that I plan on spraying on vehicle doors where rust is starting. I'm wondering what other uses folks on here have found for CorrosionX?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/23/23
If you lightly spray the bolt and inside receiver of a semi-auto .22 rifle, burned powder and stuff will no longer accumulate. Let the Corrosion X dry before firing and don't overtreat with it. Once every few months or annually is plenty.

C-X is also great on battery terminals of all kinds, from car batts to flashlights.
Posted By: jimone Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/23/23
5% CX in mineral spirits for cleaning bearings.
Posted By: ILCurley Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/24/23
Thank you guys. I am excited to see how it does on the inner workings of my guns.
Posted By: JLimbo Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/24/23
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
If you lightly spray the bolt and inside receiver of a semi-auto .22 rifle, burned powder and stuff will no longer accumulate. Let the Corrosion X dry before firing and don't overtreat with it. Once every few months or annually is plenty.

C-X is also great on battery terminals of all kinds, from car batts to flashlights.

It was from you Rocky that I learned of CorrosionX. After I tear down my rimfire suppressors and clean them up I'll spray down the baffles and see if it helps with cleaning next time.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/24/23
I'm not sure if it will work as well there with all the heat involved. But it's magic in the receiver. It seems to bond to the metal like a no-stick frying pan. Powder residue and such just fall out.

I learned about it working in a gun shop, where I did a lot of the remedial cleaning of customer guns. The worst were the .22s belonging to WD-40 addicts. Some of those guns looked like they had been used to dispense asphalt they were so full of powder "tar". Then somebody told me about Corrosion X. I cleaned and treated a few guns and then told the customers to never use WD-40 again. They came back asking what miracle I had performed on their guns, and that convinced me about CX.

It was developed to limit electrical corrosion in saltwater boats - a really tough task. I use it to revive electronics that have been subjected to battery leakage. (Remove corrosion with vinegar on cotton swabs, dry, and then apply CX.)
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/24/23
Corrosion X is damn good. I like this better. https://www.crcindustries.com/heavy-duty-corrosion-inhibitor-10-wt-oz/ It's makes a thicker and more persistent layer of film. I coated all of the steel parts of my boat trailer and wheels with it once a year. My boat was 10 years old when I sold it. It was used primarily in saltwater and there was hardly any rust on any of the bolts, nuts, hubs etc.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/24/23
Is Corrosion-X conductive? In other words, could I slop it on automotive connector plugs and not end up seized or with an open circuit or carriage loss of current?
Posted By: rainshot Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/25/23
I'd buy it if I could get it locally but I can't find it anywhere. I hate to pay the shipping and hazmet on ordering it.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/25/23
if something , say a hinge, is already rusted will corrosion x 'fix' it - for lack of better word
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/25/23
Dave, I use it in battery devices and on the trailer plugs of my boat. No corrosion and good connections. I can't say if it's conductive but it doesn't block them.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/25/23
Pfft….

I’d rather buy $50 worth of chemicals and make my own homemade secret sauce..
Posted By: jaguartx Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/25/23
Its great stuff. I use it as lube and Rust prevent on and in my guns.

I saw a test years ago done w different products on test metal exposed to salt spray.

IIRC it was No. one or two of the best along with CLP.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/25/23
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Dave, I use it in battery devices and on the trailer plugs of my boat. No corrosion and good connections. I can't say if it's conductive but it doesn't block them.

Compared to Dielectric Grease?

Have used it on connections, terminals, light bulbs, for years.
Never get a sized light bulb if I use it.
Keeps spark plug boots from sticking too.
Posted By: Jericho Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/25/23
I havent bought Corrosion X in a few years, and was price checking last year. It went up a lot, but I just checked it now and the price has dropped. That stuff is very handy to have around.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/25/23
Rocky and DB, I have trucker buddies and here in Montana we have evil mag chloride. Evil. I am repeatedly stunned with the ability of that mag crud to destroy anything electrical, deep. So I've used dielectric, with mixed results (betterinnuffin) and am always hoping to find something with some staying power in what is a needlessly harsh environment. EPA doesn't want us to use sand and gravel like we always did. Particulates, ya know. But thanks for the knowledge.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/25/23
I used dielectric grease on the Scully connector on the gas tanker.

The Scully is a low voltage monitoring system to prevent mixing product and overfilling the compartments. Covered by a simple plastic cup, in the winter the connectors would corrode from water and the brine they put on our roads.

I started polishing them and covering them with the grease, and rarely had problems after that. Even if I forgot to put the cover on.

In my use, I could easily reapply, not sure about inaccessible stuff.

I wonder about the silicone brake grease? That Schmidt is just below Neversieze on my "I F'n hate this stuff but I put it on everything" list.
Posted By: longarm Re: CorrosionX uses - 10/26/23
There may be something better out there, but CorrosionX is the best I have used (and still do) on my old shotguns to keep them from rusting during duck season. It rains a LOT here..
© 24hourcampfire