Home
Here in Utah.....Big major change in how lions are hunted

Utah DWR just this year.....changed the laws on Lions

Anyone with a current general tag can shoot/kill/harvest a Lion on sight

Normally.....tags are drawn....when quota was met....

Hunts were over in that unit

Now.....kill them bass turds

tree huggers are going to challenge the new law.....

Living in Utah the last 43 yrs....never seen a cat...only very fresh tracks in the snow

Outfitters that live for the winter months & guide for Lions ?

Thinkin' they got the shaft on this deal

My vote goes for keeping the regular old style of Lion hunting

Draw a tag.....hunt a lion.....over hounds or otherwise

I am not a tree hugger & don't drive a Subaru

https://www.ksl.com/article/5076102...nting-law-argue-animals-could-go-extinct
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Living in Utah the last 43 yrs....never seen a cat...only very fresh tracks in the snow

That's because they are cats. They see you, you don't see them.

I like cats. Could never kill one. Unless he was velcroed to my head.
I had one at full draw 20 yards away and let him live because I didn't have a tag. Still one of my biggest regrets in life.
I think that the state's professional game biologists probably know more about managing wildlife than the tree huggers.

Like tikka, I may have seen only one in 38 years here. But I did see one's tracks superimposed on my outgoing footprints returning from a hike not a half mile from my house once. Made me a wee bit vigilant, I assure you.
Originally Posted by mbhunt
I had one at full draw 20 yards away and let him live because I didn't have a tag. Still one of my biggest regrets in life.

What was the regret?

1. Not having a tag?
2. Not shooting the lion without a tag?
3. Letting magnificent animal live?
Originally Posted by SupFoo

Like.....

Lions are killers

We all know that......

Just when & where ?

What was the regret?

1. Not having a tag?
Not killing the sob
Utah winter......'22-23

Heaviest snow recorded in yrs...

Deer/Elk come down

So do the Lions

Even in rural Utah in January

They are out there ......close

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I’m not sure there’s going to be much effect on the cougar population. Sounds like it will allow more effective management of them; which is undoubtedly why the enviros are against it. If anything, we could stand a good few less of them! I have one killing deer in the ravine behind the house right now. That’s not cool when there’s kids and dogs around.

I’ve hunted them a couple of times with dogs. Never called one in when out coyote hunting, that I know of, although my cousin was stalked by one during archery season some years ago. The lion didn’t survive the encounter. I’m still thinking anyone wanting to actually get one will need dogs to do it if they want any kind of a chance. They’re pretty shy in my experience.
Lived in Utah for 6 years.

Saw 3 cats total on 2 occasions.

Saw a pair of just-off-mom type juveniles chasing a muley buck. Neat to see.

Once one was on the path I was walking, didn’t wanna give up any ground, I shot in his direction to persuade him away. Coulda legally harvested that one per these new rules.

Killing cats is one of my favorite past times.
Bobcat, house cat, feral tom, whatever.....
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
I’m not sure there’s going to be much effect on the cougar population. Sounds like it will allow mire effective management of them; which is undoubtedly why the enviros are against it. If anything, we could stand a good few less of them! I have one killing deer in the ravine behind the house right now. That’s not cool when there’s kids and dogs around.

I’ve hunted them a couple of times with dogs. Never called one in when out coyote hunting although my cousin was stalked by one during archery season some years ago. The lion didn’t survive the encounter. I’m still thinking anyone wanting to actually get one will need dogs to so it. They’re pretty shy in my experience.

Maybe.........

DWR should try to make an effort........

To 'remove' the coyotes from Draper

Keep the residents form bitchin'
We can hunt them year around! No dogs allowed. The population is still increasing.
Originally Posted by RUM7

too funny.....

but very true
I've lived in Utah for 56 years and never seen one here. Called in 2 over the years coyote hunting in Nevada though.
Originally Posted by Heym06
We can hunt them year around! No dogs allowed. The population is still increasing.

B U T

have you seen a Sashquach ?
I’m not sure there’s going to be much effect on the cougar population. Sounds like it will allow mire effective management of them; which is undoubtedly why the enviros are against it. If anything, we could stand a good few less of them! I have one killing deer in the ravine behind the house right now. That’s not cool when there’s kids and dogs around.

I’ve hunted them a couple of times with dogs. Never called one in when out coyote hunting although my cousin was stalked by one during archery season some years ago. The lion didn’t survive the encounter. I’m still thinking anyone wanting to actually get one will need dogs to so it. They’re pretty shy in my experience.

Maybe.........

Tikka that's where I live and there are a lot of them here. You ought to see all the signs posted around of missing dogs and cats, It's hilarious.

Maybe.........

There’s a bunch of wild turkeys here. Last year, DWR gave us a bunch of permits for depredation tags. Then three days later, they changed their minds and rescinded them. They brought out a bunch of live traps and caught a few and then called it good. Kinda pissed a bunch of us off! SL county communists won’t allow you to shoot there anymore. I doubt DWR is doing anything about it. The coyotes can have their way with them.

What was the regret?

1. Not having a tag?
Aaaand, we have a hall monitor here. 😒
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

Maybe.........

Tikka that's where I live and there are a lot of them here. You ought to see all the signs posted around of missing dogs and cats, It's hilarious.

exactly

why aren't the skilled archers removing these 'yotes

Too many tree huggers from CA feeding the 'yotes ?

Maybe.........

exactly

why aren't the skilled archers removing these 'yotes

Too many tree huggers from CA feeding the 'yotes ?

Feeding them their pets LOL
It's about reviving the Mule Deer herds back from these bleak times.
I'm all for it.
Sal, our Mule deer took a tremendous hit with the winter we had last year so you are right.
Appears to me the state fish wildlife knows the deer numbers are down and want to find a solution. I like it , give every license holder a chance to harvest a lion of opportunity.
I too passed a big lion during season because I didn't buy a tag... I didn't buy a tag because I never see them!
Sal, our Mule deer took a tremendous hit with the winter we had last year so you are right.

more in store for winter 23-24 ?

Starting again soon

https://www.ksl.com/article/5076430...ch-issued-for-utah-ahead-of-wintry-storm

more in store for winter 23-24 ?

Starting again soon

https://www.ksl.com/article/5076430...ch-issued-for-utah-ahead-of-wintry-storm

Tikklenuts.... embrace winter... don't be a pussy
~6k of the damn things here in Oregon, I've only seen three. Year round season, over-the-counter tag. Still their population grows.
Are you allowed to hunt them with dogs in Utah?
Successful hunters here drive or hike in light snow until they cut a trail. We used to be able to use dogs, which were effective.
Originally Posted by longarm
~6k of the damn things here in Oregon, I've only seen three. Year round season, over-the-counter tag. Still their population grows.
Successful hunters here drive or hike in light snow until they cut a trail. We used to be able to use dogs, which were effective.

Yes we are aloud to still use dogs here. I think it's the most effective way to hunt them.
Originally Posted by longarm

Yes we are aloud to still use dogs here. I think it's the most effective way to hunt them.

Absolutely

You must not get a sportsman’s package
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I'm all for it.

Probably so but for some reason the public doesn’t give a dam about the ungulates, but stop the entire world from spinning and get goofy over apex predators.

Osky
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I'm all for it.

Probably so but for some reason the public doesn’t give a dam about the ungulates, but stop the entire world from spinning and get goofy over apex predators.

Osky
You can blame Disney....
No problem hunting them, I've had them in my yard on multiple occasions. We find kill sights on and near the property from their late night soirees on a regular basis. There are plenty around NW MT.
You shouldn’t need a tag to kill a predator…
Lots of cats here in Alberta. There are 2 seasons, one starts Sept 1st and this year, runs till 31 Mar 24. Residents only, no dogs. it is mostly in open prairie country that is private or leased to ranchers. Covers most of southern and IIRC, parts of central Alberta. I carry a tag all the time. I haven't seen one yet but have cut a fresh track a few times. Fun hunting, I'll fill the tag one day! (I have handled a few cats while assisting on a study prior to F&W instituting the hunt, now that was cool)
Second hunt is the traditional winter foothills/mountain hunt where dogs are allowed. Outfitters will be happy to take non-residents on this one. I'm not sure if you can DYI as a non-res.
Jeff
Black bear management and mountain lion management should go hand in hand. As the bear populations increase so does the number of dear lions have to kill due to the bears stealing their kill.

Talked to a guy not long ago that said the lion kills that he had been finding were buried ridiculously well. He figured the lion’s were adapting to the loss of kills to bears.
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106

You must not get a sportsman’s package

I do. I was elk hunting in Montana.

I agree 100 percent. If common sense were to prevail, there would be a bounty on feral cats.
I love killing cats other than my pet housecats!! We can shoot cougars in Oregon but hippies stopped the dogs. I want to try predator calls long distance. Just need to figure out a remote system at will go 1000 yds line of sight. I have done this with target cams with drone parts but that is easy. Need to find an electonics nerd to make the circuit board.
I walked right under one in the Rio Grande Canyon, in NM, but never saw it. Two others saw it and told me how close it was.
I'm a bird hunter at heart.
If we could clear out the feral cat populations, I'm convinced the bird population would shoot up in most areas.
Dumbsheits who let cats run free are killing a huge part of the ecosystem without a clue. Those same people will vote against hunting everytime because it's all so mean to the animals.
Big cats are badass animals though. Just need some balance.
Sounds like a great law to me. I like deer more than cats. I've killed 8 or 9. AZ has a female quota but fairly generous.Alaska doesnt have them, yet.
I doubt this will change the harvest #s enough to really matter for the average hunter. Where I could see it having an affect, is more guided hunts and or guys with hounds being able to take more people. I've known more than a few guys that had hounds, but couldn't find folks with tags where they liked to hunt. My guess is that there'll be an uptick in houndsmen's number of friends. wink I wouldn't mind if it drove the price of a guided hunt down to where I could afford it...

All that said, for the mule deer in Utah, it's mostly a feel good gesture. Winter range amount/quality is likely a bigger nut to be cracked.
I'd very much like to hunt one, but not with dogs. Same for bears or leopards. Once you tree him, it stops being a hunt (in my opinion).
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
You don't.

Just have to learn how to keep your yapper shut.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I think that the state's professional game biologists probably know more about managing wildlife than the tree huggers.

Like tikka, I may have seen only one in 38 years here. But I did see one's tracks superimposed on my outgoing footprints returning from a hike not a half mile from my house once. Made me a wee bit vigilant, I assure you.

No idea how Utah's Deer and Fish people operate.

In PA anymore, and other states, the biologists study and make recommendations based of the health of the herd.

A bureauocrats/politicians consider those reports, along with
special interest concerns, revenue, political considerations.....

I occasionally visit with a Game Biologist, and hear the frustrating stories. How they travel the state researching the animal then write reports with recommendations, only to have the rules not reflect one bit of their work.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
You don't.

This
Lions, bears, wolves, coyotes ....on sight from oct1- mar-1, spring and summer off to breed new ones.
Unless spotted from mar-2 to sept 30 harassing livestock or pets.

..and sharks year 'round of course.
Originally Posted by UltraMAGA
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
You don't.

This
Lions, bears, wolves, coyotes ....on sight from oct1- mar-1, spring and summer off to breed new ones.
Unless spotted from mar-2 to sept 30 harassing livestock or pets.

..and sharks year 'round of course.
I'll add raptors to your list.

Why control 4 legged predators on the ground but not control the very most efficient ones that float above?

Man made laws generally make no good sense.
If we could clear out the feral cat populations, I'm convinced the bird population would shoot up in most areas..

😂
for the little birdies.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Just to be clear, this new law on cougars was not initiated by biologists at the DWR, it was pushed through at the last minute by politicians and their behind the door lobbyists in the Utah legislature. The biologists in the DWR that I've talked to are frustrated with these new regulations because effectively take away their say in managing wildlife within their units and the way wildlife decisions are made.
Some nice pussies Hunts!!
Originally Posted by Dawgin'it
Just to be clear, this new law on cougars was not initiated by biologists at the DWR, it was pushed through at the last minute by politicians and their behind the door lobbyists in the Utah legislature. The biologists in the DWR that I've talked to are frustrated with these new regulations because effectively take away their say in managing wildlife within their units and the way wildlife decisions are made.
That reads very much like a SFW and Don Peay play...
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
If we could clear out the feral cat populations, I'm convinced the bird population would shoot up in most areas..

😂
Stick to second rate pasta hotrod.
If we could clear out the feral cat populations, I'm convinced the bird population would shoot up in most areas

It'd be completely chaotic, there would be bird schit everywhere.
We couldn't grow crops, the feathered fu_ckers would eat everything.

Damn young whipper-snappers, didn't you see the movie?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'd very much like to hunt one, but not with dogs. Same for bears or leopards. Once you tree him, it stops being a hunt (in my opinion).

I hope this is the dumbest thing I read today.

LOL
^^^^No s h i t

So a guy is sitting in a blind over looking a water hole. Does it stop being a hunt as soon as an antelope bends his head down to take a drink? I mean after all, he ain't got a chance at that point. RIGHT??
My son and I own property that borders BLM land in SE Utah. (Tikkanut has visited our place). Canyon country with dryland farming on the mesas between the canyons. We're only out there maybe 20 days a year, but we've seen 3 lions to date, hear them often, and see many more on game cameras. That area is overrun with mountain lions. I'm all for this new law. Hopefully it will help the deer population recover from hard winters and too much predation.
I'd rather have the new law that Utah is going to then what the nannies are trying to do here in Colo., and that is to end all big cat hunting...period....
© 24hourcampfire