Home
When I was a kid sometimes we'd watch Roller Derby, I think it was on TBS. What a strange "sport", but it was sure entertaining. Anyone else watch it? Anyone have any first hand stories/involvement???

What other weird televised sport do you guys remember watching from way back when?
I was never sophisticated enough to appreciate the intricacies of Roller Derby.
I had a thing for Joanie Weston and hated Margie Laszlo

Who couldn't love an Amazon?

You mean that was a real thing.

I thought they invented it for that movie: Rollerball with James Caan and a couple hot looking babes.
watched that schit when i was a kid, early 70's... All Star Wrestling on wheels... at least they had wimmins... so it wasn't a total loss...
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I thought they invented it for that movie: Rollerball with James Caan and a couple hot looking babes.

Yeah, it was a real thing.

How about a movie starring Raquel Welch? grin

The full movie on YouTube (free with ads):

YouTube Movies & TV
Code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3kGIiRRE-s&ab_channel=YouTubeMovies
Copy and paste the link into your web browser.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Cheers! Bob F. smile
They still have leagues, Wifey did that cshit for years. She liked it a lot. She would get bruised up a lot, but did it until she was in her 40’s
I was always partial to late night dwarf tossing tournaments personally. That was some funny chit!
You missed the thread StxHunter had posted a month ago regarding his daughter the Roller Derby girl!
We've been to a few of the modern matches. Pretty fun way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon. The women are a lot more fun to watch than the men - in the matches we've watched, the men seem scared of hurting each other, so they take it easy and just bump each other a little. The women are more aggressive.

The modern version we've watched is just a flat circle taped out on a cement floor, not the banked oval track thing like Ted Turner had on tv in the 80's. That would have been more entertaining.
They still have women’s teams in northern MN, I don’t think they are broadcast anywhere. Then again they have Curling clubs as well. Which is nice.

Osky
My daughter is on a roller derby team.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

with her husband Howdy Doody and kids.
I used to watch Roller derby all the time as a kid.
Jim Croce even immortalized the sport in song..."She was 5' 6" and 215, a bleached blond bomber with a streak of mean..."

Originally Posted by BFaucett
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Yeah, it was a real thing.

How about a movie starring Raquel Welch? grin

The full movie on YouTube (free with ads):

YouTube Movies & TV
Code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3kGIiRRE-s&ab_channel=YouTubeMovies
Copy and paste the link into your web browser.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Cheers! Bob F. smile
Thanks for that. Raquel is always worth a watch.
Oh hell yeah!

1960's era LA Thunderbirds. That was better than wrasslin'.
Anytime I meet a chick wearing knee pads I figure I will get lucky .
It was great fun in person for a kid in the 60s, banked tracks the skaters were fast and kicked ass
Originally Posted by stxhunter
My daughter is on a roller derby team.

with her husband Howdy Doody and kids.

Ph uck hate to get hit by the one in the background in the first picture. that’s a big women full head of steam on skates and they hit you ph uck.
Seems like I remember watching it earlier…like in the mid to late ‘60s.
Can't help you on the 60's version, my memories were of the early 80s, MAYBE very late 70s.
Thanks for putting Jim Croce up in this thread.
He was one of my favorite singer's, back in the day.
© 24hourcampfire