Home
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
I was gonna let my dog out and noticed a kitten (what I thought) in the pasture. Dog is in heat. I thought this cat is gonna bolt when my dog runs out and she may chase it too far away from the house. I said fugk that kitten I’m getting a 22. Grabbed the Marlin 39 and first ammo in reach is subsonic . Oh well. Loaded a single round and slipped out the side garage door. Leveled the open sights and dropped the hammer. LOL. It hit the deck and twitched. I headed over to make sure it was quick. Stone cold dead . Note: there’s no houses for hundreds of yards. Shoulda kept it at home anyway . It was a solid 5 lb kitty .
Posted By: J4Me Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Proud of yourself? Probably some little girls kitty.
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Tons of feral cats out here, and DAMN do they roam far.

Shoot em all where legal IMO.
Posted By: DHN Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Invasive species, one of the worst threats, if not the worst, to songbirds. Kill them all.
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by DHN
Invasive species, one of the worst threats, if not the worst, to songbirds. Kill them all.

Yup
The feral cats are thick here. They will sh it in every flower bed and garden around, tear up garbage and scratch up your vehicles. I would bet they kill more wildlife than any other animal. If they don't have a collar they should be treated like coyotes.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Pheasant eating MF'ers.

Kill 'em. Kill 'em all.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by DHN
Right??!! It wasn’t mousing or I’d probably passed. It was looking up in the trees. Bye bye
Originally Posted by Hardwoodmaterials
The feral cats are thick here. They will sh it in every flower bed and garden around, tear up garbage and scratch up your vehicles. I would bet they kill more wildlife than any other animal. If they don't have a collar they should be treated like coyotes.
I noticed cat paw tracks on my windshield this week. Channeling Shrapnel
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Pheasant eating MF'ers.

Kill 'em. Kill 'em all.
Same way with young rabbits.

A cat, whether feral on up to a lion is a highly efficient predator. Only the damn raptors are more efficient.
Originally Posted by J4Me
Are your HOA dues paid up in full?
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Mountain Cur pups for sale in March...

FedEx trained...
Originally Posted by Fireballz
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Mountain Cur pups for sale in March...

FedEx trained...
Ima call your Sheriff’s office and email Homeland Security about you because I’m a gaping kghunt.
Posted By: 4winds Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
YES!!!

It is refreshing to see the Campfire getting some originality back!

All we need now is a good "pitbull" thread and "the right pistol for grizzlies," and we'll be back on track!
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Out where I live the coyotes do a great job of keeping feral cats in check. My closest neighbor is over a half mile away and the next one is over a mile. Feral cats generally haul ass when they get close to a human or even a vehicle. If they tarry I shoot them with the 10/22 I always have with me. They are extremely hard on song birds and any bird that nests on the ground.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
I used to work with someone that was always trying to give away kittens. She kept saying my wife needed one. One time I told her they are good for target practice. She never asked me again.`
Posted By: Papag Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
When we see a cat on our farm, we send it home , to satan. Our quail and pheasant population is approaching zero.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
I've told this story a bunch and will continue to tell it as long as people discuss shooting cats. I was in Scheels waiting for the ammo cabinet to get unlocked. There were two groups ahead of me, a dude solo and a young couple. The salesman is talking to the solo dude who needed some 22 ammo. What kind, doesn't matter really, well, what are you doing with it? Shooting cats. I found the situation hilarious. The salesman man and the young lady did not, judging by their facial expressions.
Killed one last week… Only two neighbors within rifle range and neither likes cats… it’s only the second one I’ve seen in the 9 years I’ve been here… probably because we have a fairly healthy population of predators.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Feral cats get the axe whenever possible. For those of you who care about things like ground nesting birds and other small land animals (Texas horned lizards/horny toads are an example here), you should also be shooting whatever raccoons, skunks, armadillos and coyotes that you can. Now that trapping and fur prices are down in the toilet, a lot of the varmints that eat things like duck and quail eggs have gotten to be much more prolific than when fur prices motivated trappers to earn their keep.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
They kill over a billion song birds annually in US
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I did my part. Fugker keeled over like Paul Bernard at Bonnaroo.
When I first moved here there were a lot of feral cats. The population has dwindled to near zero; I have helped, but much of the credit goes, I believe, to coyotes and horned owls. Racoons are another non-native to this area, but I seldom see them even though there are plenty of tracks. I leave skunks alone near my house, so far they haven't caused any unpleasantness and they are good grasshopper eaters, also raid mouse nests.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
I have one that has taken up residence on my roof. It's mostly with with some orange and yellow coloration. I really would like to shoot the damn thing as it pees on my truck. Problem is there is no safe direction to take a shot without endangering people or expensive stuff like a freezer in my shed which out be in the line of fire.
There used to be a very large coal black cat but this one has apparently run it off.
There is a narrow space between the shed and my back fence. Whenever I kick that cat out it runs for that space. It might be a good place to spot a snare ot two. I'll have to think on that for a while.
PJ
Posted By: smokepole Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I did my part. Fugker keeled over like Paul Bernard at Bonnaroo.

How much bandwidth do you reckon the pumpkin stabbing video takes up when it's qouted again and again?

Awe [bleep], it's your fuggin sig line you [bleep]!
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
The Kangaroo Island Cat Man
[Linked Image from i.dailymail.co.uk]
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
what recipe will you be using?
Posted By: Calvin Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Neither of my cats have a collar but they keep coming home. Can’t get rid of them. One of them got a big rat and walked down the street with it, so none of the neighbors mind them roaming. Rats aren’t native here.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
We need to lobby our fish&game depts. to establish a bounty on ferals.

Yeah, I know. Too many bleeding heart do-gooders to ever allow that. So the utterly stupid catch-neuter-release programs will continue. Catch-euthanize-throw in a dumpster would be a real solution.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Cats is more important to a homestead than your bichonfriese.

Pussy.

Who gives a fugg?

Too noisy anyway.
Posted By: 79S Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Pussy.

Who gives a fugg?

Too noisy anyway.

Pard, pard listen this is a thread about shooting cats, not dogs.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
I go on the warpath every so often here on farm. Too much inbreeding gives rise to some nasty meat tomcats! I kill them with a vengeance. The one big one killed a newborn fawn across the street this spring. I got him in the open a few days later with the .22 MK II. I have one more to kill with extreme prejudice before winter sets in! I let the girls live as long as they are good hunters, if not, they will succumb when they least expect it!
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
I hate cats. You don't want em dead, keep em the fuuck home.
Posted By: immature Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
I have trapped two or three and taken them to the county animal shelter. Not safe for me to shoot around my house. Contrary to what I would have thought, ferals are large and muscular - not scrawny from living off the land. The giveaway of their identity is their scarred face and going nuts when caged and approached by a human.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I have one that has taken up residence on my roof. It's mostly with with some orange and yellow coloration. I really would like to shoot the damn thing as it pees on my truck. Problem is there is no safe direction to take a shot without endangering people or expensive stuff like a freezer in my shed which out be in the line of fire.
There used to be a very large coal black cat but this one has apparently run it off.
There is a narrow space between the shed and my back fence. Whenever I kick that cat out it runs for that space. It might be a good place to spot a snare ot two. I'll have to think on that for a while.
PJ
Maybe a Sheridan 5mm would work? Or a Conibear?
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
A Stinger behind the ear and pfft all nine lives gone instantaneously !
Posted By: greydog Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
I'm a little torn on feral cats. On one hand I know the population can get out of control, but on the other, it's kind of a choice between living with cats or living with mice and packrats. I have heard it said, there are two kinds of country dwellings; those which have mice and those which have cats.
As far as shooting them goes, I find it's not usually necessary. The dog keeps them in line and away from the house. Predators a little higher up in the chain skim the excess. GD
Posted By: Osky Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23

Pussy.

Yup. In some areas on ranches the mice are an incredible destructor of nearly everything including wiring, vehicles, atvs… etc. Park a vehicle out on range grass and overnight mice will be up in the engine compartment chewing away.
keeping cats around takes care of that. I still hear plenty of song birds.

Osky
Posted By: Ella Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
"Maybe a Sheridan 5mm would work?"

It does.
Posted By: 673 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
I think alwaysoutdoors may need a kitten tied around his neck until it falls off, then maybe he will learn his lesson not to kill baby kittys. laugh
Posted By: Simplepeddler Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by J4Me
Are your HOA dues paid up in full?

LOL............
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Ahh, brings up memories of the good 'ol days on AR. Crats!
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Will wipe out and entire convey of quail in short order! A damn house cat is the worst thing possible for those people suffering from allergies!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Every House type cat we see here on this ranch is feral, we hunt birds for a living feral cats cost us to much,as do Coyotes Bobcats Skunks, ect. we kill everyone we see. No cat lovers here. Rio7
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
My late father lived next door to a cat lady. She fed and housed a bunch of feral cats. They had a two car garage unattached that the cats lived/crapped in. You could smell cat urine when going from dad’s driveway to his front door. Forget walking barefoot in the backyard with all the fecal matter. I offered my assistance in cat removal when he was alive but he liked his neighbors and wouldn’t hear of it.

After he passed while my brother and I cleaned out the house for sale I had a few words with her husband. We would find water and food dishes under dad’s back deck. I explained that we didn’t need the cat’s deterring potential buyers. Of course he didn’t know anything about it. Mysteriously the bowls vanished. Luckily for us they seemed to be less active while the house was for sale.
Posted By: Feral_American Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Old woman out the ridge from me keeps feeding some ferals. Once in a while they'll make it down my way. I've contemplated shooting them but figure as long as they keep to a reasonable perimeter away from my house they're fine. Don't see em much anyway, and don't see any damn mice either, so they must be hunting them out.
Posted By: deflave Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Steve Timm AKA dogzapper has one of the greatest feral cat stories ever told.

He says the best way to tell if it is a feral cat or domestic is “the feral cats always have collars with little trinkets.”

LOL
Posted By: deflave Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by gunswizard

I’ve got over 50K of those in storage.

I much prefer standard velocity.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
CB Shorts, case closed.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by deflave

I’ve got over 50K of those in storage.

I much prefer standard velocity.
standard velocity , round nose , gut shot , it's extremely impressive how high a cat can jump straight up and double its size by its fur puffing up at the same time and man can they run when they hit the ground...
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
I was gonna let my dog out and noticed a kitten (what I thought) in the pasture. Dog is in heat. I thought this cat is gonna bolt when my dog runs out and she may chase it too far away from the house. I said fugk that kitten I’m getting a 22. Grabbed the Marlin 39 and first ammo in reach is subsonic . Oh well. Loaded a single round and slipped out the side garage door. Leveled the open sights and dropped the hammer. LOL. It hit the deck and twitched. I headed over to make sure it was quick. Stone cold dead . Note: there’s no houses for hundreds of yards. Shoulda kept it at home anyway . It was a solid 5 lb kitty .

You're misnaming the critter, which is almost as bad as misgendering. cry They're called "field lions". Bring enough gun. grin I do draw the line at cats that appear to be someone's pet. If they are in a field very close to a home, they get a pass---unless they're close to a farm, in which case they're likely a farm cat and farmers usually have plenty of 'em. .22 WMR is good medicine for the lions. I swear, some of them do have nine lives.
I used a .17 pellet rifle in my mother's yard, neigbors all around so any firearm was out...
A pellet behind the ear sure makes them acrobatic for a few seconds; any others will pause for a bit to admire them.
17 HMR gets em dancing with a V-Max.

TNT doesn't exit. Good for inside the barn cats.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Will wipe out and entire convey of quail in short order! A damn house cat is the worst thing possible for those people suffering from allergies!
I knew it was a good deed
Is ums arrergic to ums kitties?

Hahahaha!
Posted By: Caplock Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
They are gleaners of the realm. You won't have birds, snakes, lizards, rabbits, or anything else that moves, crawls or flies.
Posted By: killerv Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Originally Posted by Calvin
Neither of my cats have a collar but they keep coming home. Can’t get rid of them. One of them got a big rat and walked down the street with it, so none of the neighbors mind them roaming. Rats aren’t native here.

I don't keep one on mine either, he was always losing the breakaways and not gonna put one on him he can hang himself or get stuck with. He's fixed so he rarely goes out of the yard. Gotten attached to him but I've already told the fam that if something happens to him it is what it is. He's a mole, chipmunk, and snake killin joker...and yes, he will bring a bird up to the porch on occasion. But everyday I get home, he comes to the truck door and lays on his back and I have to scratch his belly as soon as I get out.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Bowhunting Saturday, heard a hell of a battle.
Cat vs coon.
Dunno who won, but later a big black cat crossed the creek.
There are coyotes around.

Guy out in the sticks told me people dumped cats at his farm.
Bunches.
That attracted the coyotes.
Yotes worked over the cats pretty good.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Ten or fifteen years ago the animal rights people in Virginia lobbied the legislature (Democrats) to pass laws protecting domestic animals from abuse. Well before they were thru writing and passing the bills they had included basically that you could not kill a domestic animal, yours or someone else's, without animal control and/or veterinarian approval/assistance. An exception is to protect yourself or property from an attack.

Shooting a dog or cat in Virginia may subject you to jail time and fines, or at the very least an expensive court battle.
Golly gee whiz
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
Field krats don't survive long around me.

Pussy.

I have to put out traps for mice and rabbits these days, never had to do that when we had our old black cat. He lived to be about 20, fox finally got him. Ornery old cat but a killing machine, used to leave rabbit's feet and hearts on the back step for us, the wife loved that LOL. I was the only one he ever warmed up to because I didn't treat him like a pet and gave him his space. He'd climb up on my lap, but only because I didn't try to pet him, just a little scratch behind the ears.

He was a good cat.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
When I lived in the 'burbs, many fell to a 10/22 or a Mark II. Most were shot under my bird feeders. My libtard neighbor ran an ad, in the weekly free paper, about what is happening to all the cats in the neighborhood? My wife got upset and said no more noise from a 22. I tried sub sonics and they only wounded the cat. It left a bloody trail to underneath the libtard's car and died there. Fortunately, I got the pressure washer on the sidewalk before they came asking if I knew what happened to their cat. After that I went back to CCI Stingers.

I enjoy watching and listening to birds too much to have cats around.

Now that I am on 22 acres, the raccoons, foxes, coyotes, hawks, owls and eagles keep the feral cat issue as a non-issue.
Posted By: Firecontrolman Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
I know they’re very destructive to native animals but I’ve never been able to shoot feral cats. No problem with those that can though
Originally Posted by smokepole

Pussy.

I have to put out traps for mice and rabbits these days, never had to do that when we had our old black cat. He lived to be about 20, fox finally got him. Ornery old cat but a killing machine, used to leave rabbit's feet and hearts on the back step for us, the wife loved that LOL. I was the only one he ever warmed up to because I didn't treat him like a pet and gave him his space. He'd climb up on my lap, but only because I didn't try to pet him, just a little scratch behind the ears.

He was a good cat.
I will take dealing with traps over stepping in cat schitt. All that stuff does is smear around like peanut butter on the bottom of your shoes.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Ten or fifteen years ago the animal rights people in Virginia lobbied the legislature (Democrats) to pass laws protecting domestic animals from abuse. Well before they were thru writing and passing the bills they had included basically that you could not kill a domestic animal, yours or someone else's, without animal control and/or veterinarian approval/assistance. An exception is to protect yourself or property from an attack.

Shooting a dog or cat in Virginia may subject you to jail time and fines, or at the very least an expensive court battle.
Only illegal if you get caught.😎😎😎
When I was in my late teens there was a cat in the neighborhood that would piss in any vehicle that had a window even slightly open. I have never figured out how it could even get in a position to do that to many of them. Also, my mother had an old cat that started spraying furniture, which she wanted me to get rid of, but not where she could hear. I found an old sack to carry her cat, (a good use for old burlap rice sacks?) intending to take it to the dump to shoot it, and my pistol. Just then the stray popped it's head up, as mother's cat was noisily objecting; I shot the stray, then realized neighbors were watching. They grinned and gave me a thumbs up, no doubt they had their car pissed in, too.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
160's

5 gallon bucket
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by smokepole

Pussy.

He was a good cat.
I will take dealing with traps over stepping in cat schitt. All that stuff does is smear around like peanut butter on the bottom of your shoes.

I'm not a cat lover but like I said he was a good cat. I never saw any of his shìt much less stepped in it.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
when I was about 8 years old my parents bought another farm three or four miles from where we lived. there's an old three story house (that included the basement) been an old couple lived in on this place. it was dilapidated and needed to be dozed in but it was agreed the couple could live there as long as they wanted.. as time goes on everyone begins to realize just how many cats there are running around this place. actually want seen the old lady (which I guess was probably starting to suffer from Alzheimer's)
pour her some cereal and milk in a bowl with her breakfast table and about six or eight cats jumped on the table and ate out the same bowl she was..
the old man kind of screams out but damn cats are taking over the place, she jumped on him for cussing I thought it was quite funny at that age.. a couple years later they ended up going to the rest home. and it was my job at that point to start shooting cats.. I shot cats daily for a couple years. actually a pretty sad deal
Posted By: carrollco Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/01/23
My home health wound care nurse came to see me last week. I noticed bandages in his arm and he then displayed some on his bandaged legs. He had made a home visit and the ladies cat had attacked him! Bit his arm and scratched upper his legs. He had had problems with dogs before but a cat attack was a first. He had to fill out a workman’s comp form and check to see about the cat’s vaccinations. It wasn’t vaccinated and he’s worried bout cat scratch fever or worse. He was an EMT for 10 years before going into nursing and has a doctorate in nursing now. Has a wealth of experience and stories.
Originally Posted by carrollco
My home health wound care nurse came to see me last week. I noticed bandages in his arm and he then displayed some on his bandaged legs. He had made a home visit and the ladies cat had attacked him! Bit his arm and scratched upper his legs. He had had problems with dogs before but a cat attack was a first. He had to fill out a workman’s comp form and check to see about the cat’s vaccinations. It wasn’t vaccinated and he’s worried bout cat scratch fever or worse. He was an EMT for 10 years before going into nursing and has a doctorate in nursing now. Has a wealth of experience and stories.

When my buds first born was maybe 2 they had a house with a single car garage and the kids bigger outdoor type toys were all in there so they could get the little truck and whatever else out on the drive to play.

He used to leave the garage door up when weather was decent and never thought much of it until the toys and garage started smelling like piss.

One day he happened to look through the 9 window door that split the back room and garage and saw a tomcat in the garage passing on some stuff. He had a pump up Daisy .22 pellet rifle at the time so he got it loaded and pumped and eased that door open and gave the cat a pellet to the airbags, cat took off towards the old neighbor ladies house and he thought good enough.

A few days later he was talking to the old gal and she brought up a dead cat between her house and bushes and wanted him to get it out and gone. He was thinking oh he'll, I done killed the old ladies cat but come to find out she was tired of it pissing all over the bushes as they ran up to her front porch.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
He had another get in the garage one day and was able to reach out and hit the button to lower the door. Cat just stood there watching the door go down. Once it was doen it got the .22 pellet treatment.

Made a few laps around the garage, up and over everything before it bled out and took the dirt nap. Looked like a murder scene for sure.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
40+ years ago I worked at a Steel Shop
The owners daughter was feeding the Feral Cats
They would piss and crap all over the Steel and our Tools.
Right before Deer Season the Foreman and (2) Son In-laws to the owner (1) married to the the girl feeding the cats.
Decided on doing some hunting practice.
The Foreman brought in a Bow and Arrow set up , the (2) Son in-laws brought in 22 cal rifles on a Saturday when the shop was closed.

The Foreman told me that they hunted cats for 2 hours and he was shooting 3 cats at a time with 1 arrow they were so thick.

They filled up a large trash bin with the body's.

The next Monday the girl was wondering where all her cats where only about 10 to maybe 15 showed up to be fed.

I got kinda pissed because they did not invite me to the cleansing.

Feral cats can be real nasty when you get to many in a small area.

The girl never found out what her husband and other 2 did.
Posted By: brinky72 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
Golden Malrin. Just saying.
Posted By: steveredd1 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
Originally Posted by Mike_S
My late father lived next door to a cat lady. She fed and housed a bunch of feral cats. They had a two car garage unattached that the cats lived/crapped in. You could smell cat urine when going from dad’s driveway to his front door. Forget walking barefoot in the backyard with all the fecal matter. I offered my assistance in cat removal when he was alive but he liked his neighbors and wouldn’t hear of it.

After he passed while my brother and I cleaned out the house for sale I had a few words with her husband. We would find water and food dishes under dad’s back deck. I explained that we didn’t need the cat’s deterring potential buyers. Of course he didn’t know anything about it. Mysteriously the bowls vanished. Luckily for us they seemed to be less active while the house was for sale.

Should of put antifreeze in the water dish, it works
Posted By: Squidge Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
If you hate cats, plant some lily's.

Lily Toxicity in Cats

Lilies are lethally toxic to cats. In fact, they are so poisonous that a cat can suffer fatal kidney failure just from biting into a lily leaf or petal, licking lily pollen from its paws, or drinking water from a vase containing cut lilies. The lily toxin, which only affects cats, has not been identified. If dogs ingest lilies, they do not develop kidney failure, although they may have an upset stomach.

All members of the plant genus Lilium produce a chemical that is present in all parts of the plant that can damage cat kidneys. However, Easter lilies (Lilium longiflorum), Stargazer lilies (Lilium ‘ Stargazer’ hybrid), and Asiatic lilies (Lilium asiaticum) seem to be the most hazardous. Daylilies, which are in the genus Hemerocallis, are also toxic to cats and can cause kidney failure. Other types of lilies that are not in the genus Lilium, such as calla lilies and peace lilies, do not cause kidney failure in cats, but can still be harmful. Lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis) can cause heart problems when ingested, including irregular heartbeat and low blood pressure, which can lead to seizures or coma.

Some cats appear to be more susceptible than others are to lily toxicity. The severity of the resulting kidney failure also varies from cat to cat. Some poisoned cats recover with minimal therapy, while others require costly dialysis to live long enough for the kidneys to possibly repair themselves. Many affected cats never recover kidney function following lily toxicity, and die or are euthanized within days of becoming ill. If you think your cat may have chewed on or ingested lily, seek veterinary care immediately.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
People who prop up cats as beneficial in some way, ought to keep them contained to the area that's benefitting from their presence, instead of trying to convince intelligent people that roaming cats are anything less than the detriment to nature that they really are.

BTW DD is 100% right about 22 CBs. Headshots are quite effective.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
They are good target practice for sure
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
Rancher in the valley used to occasionally call a buddy and me to help thin out the coyotes. They left the attached garage door open about 6” so the cats could get in and out. One night he awoke to a hell of a ruckus in the garage. He went in there and threw on the light to four coyotes chasing the cats back and forth from under the cars, on the shelves and tool boxes. Stuff flying everywhere. Apparently the wife left the door up a bit too high that evening. We went out a few nights later and used a cat in distress call. Had six coyotes come into that call almost immediately.

We weren’t allowed to shoot the cats but there wasn’t a need as the coyotes kept them in check.
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Rancher in the valley used to occasionally call a buddy and me to help thin out the coyotes. They left the attached garage door open about 6” so the cats could get in and out. One night he awoke to a hell of a ruckus in the garage. He went in there and threw on the light to four coyotes in there chasing the cats back and forth from under the cars, on the shelves and tool boxes. Stuff flying everywhere. Apparently the wife left the door up a bit too high that evening. We went out a few nights later and used a cat in distress call. Had six coyotes come into that call almost immediately.

We weren’t allowed to shoot the cats but there wasn’t a need as the coyotes kept them in check.
I would pay just to see that show.🤣🤣
Rancher in the valley used to occasionally call a buddy and me to help thin out the coyotes. They left the attached garage door open about 6” so the cats could get in and out. One night he awoke to a hell of a ruckus in the garage. He went in there and threw on the light to four coyotes in there chasing the cats back and forth from under the cars, on the shelves and tool boxes. Stuff flying everywhere. Apparently the wife left the door up a bit too high that evening. We went out a few nights later and used a cat in distress call. Had six coyotes come into that call almost immediately.

When he opened the door and hit the lights he said the cats made a dash for the house with the coyotes hot on their trail until they we just a few feet away from him with the cats running between his legs. Both he and the yotes turned tail and ran. Him for the house and the dogs for the garage door. They were hauling ass across the field by the time he returned with the gun.

When he opened the door and hit the lights he said the cats made a dash for the house with the coyotes hot on their trail until they we just a few feet away from him with the cats running between his legs. Both he and the yotes turned tail and ran. Him for the house and the dogs for the garage door. They were hauling ass across the field by the time he returned with the gun.
Too bad there were no security cameras inside to see all of the commotion before someone disturbed them.

Too bad there were no security cameras inside to see all of the commotion before someone disturbed them.

That was around 2005 before those were a thing. It would have been funny as hell to have seen it though. We laughed our butts off just listening to him tell the story and seeing some of the mess.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
'harvested' this one recently. Mini Mag and the old Golden Mountie did their part.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: erickg Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Interrupted my latest feral victim right at its dinner time.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
Sister-in-law keeps 2 (useless) cats out at the ranch.
Feeds the bastids so much, they won't hunt.
One reason to own a suppressor, I think. smile
Neighbors in town feed feral cats - 10 pounds of feed, or so, free choice.
I have a couple of live traps, catch them, and take them to the ranch - a one-way trip thanks to Mr. Mossberg.
If anyone sees me, and asks - I'm "taking them to the ranch, they need a new home".
Posted By: JOG Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23

It's a little-known fact that all the lives are arranged like Necco wafers between the ears. The right shot angle can break them all at once.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
If you live in the sticks you have to have barn cats, mice and pak rats will over run your vehicle’s , all 4 wheeler’s, tractor’s, RV , anything they can get into, I feed my cats every night when I lock them up in barns. I know mice move at night but can’t have cats out with coyotes roaming, I have a lot of money in these cats but it is nothing compared to taking a feed truck apart to fix all your heating and Ac systems because of rats, I shoot all strange wild cats because of baby turkeys and quail and disease to my cats, you can’t live without them out here and I treat all storage with mothballs too for mice.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
if mothballs worked, why have cats?.....
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12448930/458-catastrophe

.458 CAT...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Rather fun... 350 grain to 730 grain subs
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
We used to have some around because my old neighbor fed them. He’s dead, and now I’m the old neighbor, but I just feed birds, squirrels, and rabbits… plus the two pigs next door. The cats have left.

All those critters come when I whistle, even the woodpeckers. Funny as schitt….
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
The old guy that owned the farm I hunted on in the 80s once took a poke at a “fox” with his .22/.250. At the shot, the critter flew into the air and he knew he’d just shot his barn cat. The cat disappeared for a few weeks, but finally came back, with an eye missing.
Posted By: SDLEFTY Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
A true feral cat is something spectacular in a live trap. They turn satanic.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
Originally Posted by huntsman22

They don't.

My father used to have an old Jeep Cherokee at their vacation house. In the Winter, he'd cover the Jeep and in the Spring the mice would eat the inside of the Jeep and schit everywhere. So when he'd put away the Jeep for the Winter, he used to put Decon in there to kill the mice. In the Spring there would be dead mice in it and stunk really bad. One Fall he was talking to a lady at the hardware store and she said to put moth balls in there and it would keep the mice out. So he did along with Decon. The following Spring, it was filled with dead mice and the Jeep smelled like dead mice and moth balls. We never got the smell out of it. The Jeep's nickname was "The Mouse Mobile".
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
They were satanic before you had them in the trap.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
Had a stray that came around 7 years ago. Very wild. Put a bit of food out to keep it interested as we had problems with mice on the porch. She stuck around and took care of the mice. Moved her to a new house we moved to that had a detached garage infested with mice. She sleeps in that garage and keeps the mice out of a 68 Pontiac and tractor I store there.

Now have a second stray that sleeps in a outdoor kennel near the house I use to store firewood, no more mice there either.

Chipmunk population around the house is also way down. Have also found 2 large moles the cats caught and killed but apparently dont want to eat.

When we moved here we used to hear owls calling around the house most nights as apparently there was ample food for them. Now hear them calling from the woods but rarely by the house.

Will take the cats over the rodents.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Have you smelled mothballs?

Yes.

How did you get his little legs apart?
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
A guy I used to work for had trouble with a tom cat coming over and pissing around his house. I took a box trap over and we sat in his screened in porch and waited for the cat.
When the trap door fell, that cat practically turned himself inside out and went berserk. We took him across the river and let him go, never had a problem after that.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
We had a big, yellow tomcat makin' trouble on our property. I caught him in a box trap (not a Havahart, but a cheap knockoff sold by Tractor Supply).

I was carrying the trap to my truck, to take him for a looong ride, when he slammed around and actually bent the trap enough to squeeze out! It only took him a few seconds.

Unfortunately, shooting was not an option, not where I live.
Was at a buddies one afternoon shooting the breeze around the rear of my truck when his wife noticed a catch cage in the back of my truck. Asked what I did with it and I told her I was catching critters and cats from a farmers barn because they were schitting on his stack of lumber he used for wood working.

She asked how I got the cats out once I had em in there because when they accidentally had a cat in their live traps it would go crazy.

I glanced at her husband and he was just grinning. I told he no problem, just grabbed the trap by the back end, opened the door and kind of shook the trap open end down and they just kind of slid out. It took her a second but she put 2 and 2 together and said , "Oh, you're killing them them". Yep, you're right I said not turning them loose to keep schitting on everything again. Everybody had a little laugh.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
I used to trap problem cats with a box type rabbit trap. Drive across a river and pull the door open. One time I did it with a big tom cat while rolling reached through the back glass. He came out. Jumped over the cab of the.truck. Slid off the corner of the hood and landed right in front of the tire.
Ran right over his head. Perfect ending.
Animal nuts here have convinced the.legislature that harming a dog or cat is a felony so you can't handle nuisance animal problems like shooting one anymore.
Yeah you can. One just has to keep their yapper shut.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
Couldn't you just shoot them in the trap with a powerful air rifle?
Posted By: sourdough44 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
I had a somewhat feral cat in the backyard a few days ago. Yes, I can easily shoot there. I let it be, if it hung around too much, or grabbed one of my bluebirds(in season) I’d take action.

My Cooper 17 HMR is the preferred iron for the task.

I subscribe to the last ‘S’ vehemently.
Posted By: sidewinder72 Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23
My uncle is a farmer and he told us boys to shoot all cats we see. He says feral cats are killing off all the quail in his area. They had an abundance of feral cats around his place. We started killing all we could get a shot at. He says they will kill out whole coveys of quail.
What kind of farmer is he?
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/02/23

Look at you, Mr logical !

wink
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

wink
People have eyes.
What kind of farmer is he?

Quail farmer?

wink
People have eyes.

I am not saying to do it a your local Pride Rally.......

Pop the sum bitch in your garage and put it in a black garbage sack.

Then you go yard it in Slumlord's ditch with the mattresses and refrigerators.

wink
People have eyes.

I am not saying to do it a your local Pride Rally.......

Pop the sum bitch in your garage and put it in a black garbage sack.

Then you go yard it in Slumlord's ditch with the mattresses and refrigerators.
I don't have an issue shooting it in the trap wherever but some may.
Oh yeah...some Karen would say something for sure.

Do it at night or in a shed or garage or something.

Releasing some problem animal into someone else's yard is kind of a dick move.
The fact that shooting cats and dogs is illegal in some areas only speaks to the level of retardation that Whitey has risen to.
Posted By: charleeontop Re: Shooting feral cats - 11/03/23
An area I walked my dog, I started seeing bowls of water and cat food.
After a few weeks I see an older lady refilling the bowls.
I ask what she was doing, she said she felt sorry for the cats.
I says, you are just bringing the cats to a place where the coyotes can get them easier.
No more bowls.
© 24hourcampfire