Home
Maybe Huntz can lend his expertise, being the prolific ‘outdoorsman’ she is.

Anyway, not looking to hump this around on a pack but for use in a fixed blind application.

Holds good, adjustments friendly, stable?

Complaints or praises?

Thanks
The bog deathgrip is great when you can find them on sale, see them between 125-150 a few times a year. Yes, its nothing you want to tote around. Perfect for a blind, I even use mine for a little target shooting when I don't wanna break out the bench, chairs, etc.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Anyway, not looking to hump this around on a pack but for use in a fixed blind application.

Complaints or praises?

Thanks

I have both the carbon fiber and aluminum Death Grip.

Wouldn't want to cart them around much, but for a stationary location they work pretty good.

This one sits in my fancy hog blind made of pallets. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Sweet, I was looking at the cheaper one they make.

Figure some scabby onion head is going to steal it out of my blind by second week. Meth Central, Doe Poaching yea-hoos

Academy had an off-brand too

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The academy one (vanguard) I had a hold of yesterday in the store seemed really good and heavy, metal legs.

I have yet to hunt any reviews on that vanguard
The bogpods are a big thing with a lot Cross-bowers. The death grip clamping type head with a ball swivel seem to be more of a priority than the tripod itself.

Better than my Bog.
For leaving out, the Primos has been fine. It doesn't "clamp" but it's a nice, steady rest

Edit: just looked, they're not that inexpensive anymore.
I can only speak to the Vanguard and Primos Triggerstick versions, both in bipod for hiking around with.

The Vanguard is built well and priced right, has a 1/4" mounting stud so other yokes could be attached, if stationary the latch leg adjustments wouldn't be an issue. If having to move fast or change heights, the Triggerstick is far superior with a pull of the finger instantly change height...and many choices in yokes sizes and types.

Many Crossbows stocks will not fit in the Vanguard yoke, it tends to be a narrow "U" instead of an open "V".....all yokes fine for rifle.
Good stuff,

I never thought about using a pod for a crossbow. I’ll be durn.

Been using a primos mono shooting stick a long time in a tree stand.
I use the very plain original BogPod with no add-ons, "upgrades", or anything else. It's worked very well on many elk hunts. You should practice with it occasionally. Before I became accustomed to it, I was getting a slightly different point of impact vs. shooting from a benchrest. After I got used to the BogPod with some minimal practice, groups were exactly at the same point they were from a benchrest.

"New and improved" often doesn't mean better.
Good stuff,

The clamp style tripods are amazing for crossbow use. Super steady. I swapped scopes and was dialed in on one shot at 10 yards, one shot at 40, and two at 20 to confirm speed dial. Then nuts on at 30 and 50.
Good stuff,

I have mono's and bipods....the bipod is a significant improvement over the mono. Primos Gen 3 Tall version is short enough to use sitting down, unless you're a midget or shooting down a steep hill. They also sell a wider version "V" yoke for a crossbow, than the standard rife "V".... depending on the brand Xbow that could be an issue if the fore grip is wide.
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Good stuff,

I have mono's and bipods....the bipod is a significant improvement over the mono. Primos Gen 3 Tall version is short enough to use sitting down, unless you're a midget or shooting down a steep hill. They also sell a wider version "V" yoke for a crossbow, than the standard rife "V".... depending on the brand Xbow that could be an issue if the fore grip is wide.

Primos trigger stick tripod saddle "V" works for rifles or my Excalibur crossbow. It's more of a U than a V
Originally Posted by goalie
Good stuff,

Primos trigger stick tripod saddle "V" works for rifles or my Excalibur crossbow. It's more of a U than a V

My Gen. 3's are "V's" not "U", the Crossbow version a more open/obtuse "V" than the standard stick.....and the leg being a larger diameter and gauge metal, only comes in a Mono short or tall.
I started using the Primos about 10 years ago because they adjust so fast
I use a Caldwell Dead shot in my ground blinds. I also have the Bog and it is very handy for a few things othe than hunting. I use it when I clean/work on my rifles.
The dead shot is light, comes with a shoulder strap but can be a bit tricky to get it to fold somewhat flat. Both are amazing tools for a hunter. I suggest you buy them both.
My Gen. 3's are "V's" not "U", the Crossbow version a more open/obtuse "V" than the standard stick.....and the leg being a larger diameter and gauge metal, only comes in a Mono short or tall.

This is good to know. Mine is at least 8-10 years old, it may be first generation. I'd really make sure the saddle works for both now and rifle.
Bog deathgrip aluminum, works great in a blind. Kind of heavy to carry though.

Complaints or praises?

Thanks
From what we've seen in the field we won't carry those types anymore. We now just use our spotting scope tripods. Actually have used one for years like that in TX instead also. Fabricated a top for the one in TX for kids to use it. The spotting scope tripods are more stable. We have used like the bog in a pinch for spotting scopes and they suck.

Since almost any of them have threaded tops you are pretty much good to go. Plus can find camera or spotting scope types used pretty cheap if weight isnt' an issue.

FWIW it worked really well a few weeks back on a clients brown bear. We had less than a minute to set it up, and pop it up to full height for a standing shot in tall grass and it was an easy shot. and very stable plus on a side slope I could easily and quickly adjust the uphill leg angle and length. I keep a Leica top on it for strapping on binoculars or spotting scope and it makes a handy quick rifle rest too..
If you can clamp it on…

Bu’cees has these for $20.

#booooyah
That would be sweet for a box blind window
Suggest one learn to shoot sans any pod, bog pod etc. MTG
Originally Posted by MTGunner

That's great, but every hunter on the planet is more accurate with a rest of some sort.
You guys be careful.

Slum lures you in and then he makes fun of you.

#nohaybalerNovember
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You guys be careful.

#nohaybalerNovember

I’ve been known to provide plenty of fodder for anyone with a propensity to be easily entertained!
<G>

They're not mutually exclusive. The better you shoot without a rest, the better you'll shoot with a rest.

😉
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
You guys be careful.

#nohaybalerNovember

I’ve been known to provide plenty of fodder for anyone with a propensity to be easily entertained!
<G>

I'm right there with ya!!!
I've had a short version of the 3 leg "Gen 2" Trigger sticks for several years. They're great for sitting shots if the brush isn't too high. I also like that the top "V" screws off so you can mount a camera on them, EXCEPT the screw threads are larger than the threads on the bottom of cameras, so I had to make an adapter.

Then, last year I bought a tall version of the Jim Shockey Gen 3 Trigger sticks. They're great for both sitting and standing shots. The gun rest "V" on this version is attached with a quick detatchable cam, but if you forget to lock it with the separate locking lever, the V rest can fall off if you slightly bump the detach button. They also come with a detatchable camera rest.

I used these taller Trigger sticks on my Alberta moose hunt this year and they also worked very well as a walking stick.
I like my Kophjager. But it's spendy.
Have the carbon version of the Bog death grip works great for my wife's crossbow. Draw back is the weight of the carbon one if packing it in . Pro --rock steady
2 x 4s & some Renegade labor, you could have 1 of these sweet babies !!

When you're done huntin, take the top rail off & you got yosef a sweet outboard stand, too !

wink
I picked up a BOG Deathgrip for my kids this year. They have a hard time shooting free hand. The Deathgrip lets me set the rifle on it and all they have to do is aim and squeeze the trigger. It works great in a blind but I wouldn't want to carry it around a lot.

Thanks Garandimal / HappyCramper
Another ShadowTech fan, mine's the carbon fiber version.

I've also got the Hog saddle for it, but rarely use it, it's heavy and slow. I've mounted Arca rails on several of my open country rifles. For the non-Arca equipped, I just use an ultra-.light bag on the ball head:

with small bag with Git-Light fill:

I love good homemade nanner puddin.

How bout y'all?
Originally Posted by Chuck_R

I've also got the Hog saddle for it, but rarely use it, it's heavy and slow. I've mounted Arca rails on several of my open country rifles. For the non-Arca equipped, I just use an ultra-.light bag on the ball head:

I need Arca in my life.
Originally Posted by gunzo

How bout y'all?

Never had it.
Been shooting without for 38 years. And I actually hunt wild animals not a feed farm in Africa.

The need now is shooting with a hemodialysis catheter in my right pect and my shoulder anchor placement is offset.

Thanks for the snipe though
Originally Posted by gunzo

How bout y'all?

Never had it.

You either love it hot or cold. No one dislikes it.
Learn to shoot via the three basic techniques. Makes for a better hunter/shooter. Besides, less weight to lug around. My two cents. MTG
Learn to shoot via the three basic techniques. Makes for a better hunter/shooter. Besides, less weight to lug around. My two cents. MTG

He has health issues that are making that a challenge, what part aren't you getting ? It's better that he gets out and enjoys himself, than sit home and not go hunting.
Originally Posted by JHM
I use a Caldwell Dead shot in my ground blinds

+1 It's a bit clunky but I like it for certain situations.
All in all (and thanks for all of the advice and keying me in different brands.

I extended the window ledge benching on our deer blind build we completed recently.

Doubling the 2x12 to (11.25x2). This east view is only 150-160 max yard. The west windows offer a 250 yard shot zone and much further out after the boxelders drop the leaves across the stream riparian.

I’m still going to get a pod, I see many reasons for it.

Slight work-around, have also dropped down to using a .223 with 70 gr Barnes in a new bolt rifle rig.

Vascular surgeon cautioned me about direct recoil contact over this securement and access.

Don't be showing skin and getting the 6.5 shooters all horned up!!!!
The new blind looks good, heal up fast and enjoy.
That will be far grander, than my proposal !
Good on you for still getting out there
I haul the primos trigger sticks all over the place when I take the kids. They can make good hits standing with them. Total pia taking the sticks up and down steep timber but when they need them, i will be glad I hauled it.
If I lived close by I'd be your gun bearer. Maybe even gut and drag dead animals as well.

Good on you for getting after it still.
Good luck kill a big one.
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Chuck_R

I need Arca in my life.

It really is the way to go, probably adds another 100 yds in effective range and much faster than the Hog saddle or other clamping system. Clamped in, with my backpack in my lap filling the void is almost as stable as going prone with a rear bag. The rails aren't very expensive and can be quickly removed.

The bag on the tripod also works very well, is very quick and actually more stable that then standard "U" shaped" rest. I strap the bag to the "handle" on my Mystery Ranch Pop-Up38 which also makes a heck of a rest while sitting.
© 24hourcampfire