Home
Posted By: Higginez 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
Dad's latest project.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Very cool. From a time when cars and trucks didn't all look alike.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
From a time of craftsmanship. And a time where DOT mandates were minimal. IE: no backup TV and other clutter.
That is a beautiful car, and I love the color. Same maroon that is on my 1940 Ford Deluxe.
Posted By: Westman Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
Putting a lot of money into that restoration. It will look awesome!
Posted By: VaHunter Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
Dad had a 1949 Ford when I was very young. I can barely remember it but I do remember falling out of it in our driveway when I was maybe 4 or 5 years old. The door did not latch when i shut it I guess and we were barely moving if I remember. It was a 2-door also so I was in the front seat and as you know in those days we did not have seat belts no less child car seats.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
Looks a hell of a lot better than some black gal flapping her lips making noise.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
I've been working on a 52 ford couple for a few years. Was going to sell it awile back, but changed my mind. I like the old cars with round fenders, doesn't really matter what make! I don't have the talent of your dad, but it's turning out ok!
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Looks a hell of a lot better than some black gal flapping her lips making noise.

Huh?
Posted By: Malcolm Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
My dad had a 54 Meteor 4 Dr. Sedan green. He felt bad when he finally sold it. It was the first year of the non flat head V8. It was always overheating on family holidays but even when he changed the rad cap it still ran hot. It was probably loaded with a family of 4 a 16 foot car top boat and full camping gear like a heavy canvas umbrella tent camp stove etc. driving into the unknown dusty roads of 1960 British Columbia. For a long time while in school I ,my uncle had a black 50 ford in his mother's back yard but sold it to the junk yard for a lousey 5 dollars and later got a Triumph TR 3.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
Gorgeous..... My dad owned a red 1950 Ford 2 door up until 1957 when the stork brought the 4th and final kid. That was when he traded it in on a 2 year old 1955 Ford station wagon. That '50 had the "magic" headlight dimmer.... on the floor; remember those? I can remember wondering how the headlights went from high to low beam when there was an approaching car. Dad told me it had some kind of magic apparatus that did it automatically. But he could give it voice commands also to switch any time he wanted.... and proved it be making the headlights alternate from high to low and back again when there was no traffic. Of course, this was all at night and I couldn't see his left foot moving.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
Originally Posted by Higginez

Huh?

You flushed out a missy hater
Originally Posted by Certifiable

Huh?

You flushed out a missy hater

What a douche.

Sheesh…..
Posted By: walt501 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
I was watching a show on Prime about Ford. The 1949 model (same as this 1950) was the first new Ford since the war and according to the show saved Ford and filled their coffers.

Assuming this one has Ford's V8 under the hood?
That cars almost as cool as missy.
Posted By: greydog Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
Dad has some real skills. GD
Posted By: CCCC Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
That is a very good looking old Ford - am thinking that style might have been called a Tudor - but certainly will look a lot better when that fellow is finished with it. The post-war Fords through '48 were starting to look stodgy and Ford made a big splash with that body redesign. Chev and Ply also made big shifts. That flathead V8 gave the Ford a quickness edge over the other two, but the entry of the Chev 265 in '55 changed that situation.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
back in the late mid fifties, Dad was driving a '49 two door Ford coupe. It had a flathead V8, three on the tree, triple two barrel Strombergs and smitty mufflers. Lord, what a car.
Posted By: TheKid Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
According to my Great Gramps the 1950 Ford 2 door with a V8 was the pinnacle of automobile design. He could never afford one until the 70’s or 80’s but had a nice Butternut yellow one until he passed.
Posted By: reivertom Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
Those early 50s cars never got the credit until lately. I like that transition period from the late 40s and early 50s as far as body style. I'd love to have a nice bullet nose Studebaker with a Chevy swapped engine and running gear. Studebaker had some great engines in the 50s, but parts are getting unobtanium.
Posted By: MARCEL Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
Great looking "shoebox" Higginez . As always thanks for sharing.
49-50 fords and mercy are my favorite car designs of all time ...
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
Always enjoy your posts, and realize 2 things (at least):

1) Your dad is a true craftsman/artist. Can’t imagine there are many like him around.

2) I don’t have the wallet for any of his restorations!
The 47 Mercury convertible I bought for $75.00 in 1962 and drove home was the same color. Ford called it "Ruby Red". I restored that one and hotrodded the flathead V8 with a bunch of my father's leftover dirt track racing parts. Kept it for 13 years and lost it in California in a really nasty divorce. If I could locate that car today, I'd buy it back!
Posted By: pal Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
In 1959 I bought my first car, a '49 Ford 4-door that had been very lightly side-swiped down the passenger side. Paid $65 for it. V-8, 3-speed. Great 1st car.
Grandpa had a 1950 Ford.
A dark green color, if I remember correctly.
Grandma from the other side of the family worked at the Post Office and would bring home various stickers from the recruiters at the PO.
I can remember adorning the glove box lid of that '50 Ford with a Strategic Air Command sticker just to help Grandpa out in my little way.
They are great cars.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
Great car. My dad had/has a 39 Chevy that was my grandparents. It was supposed to be my Dad’s but my uncle currently has it. Hoping I can get it from him some day and get it back on the road. It still runs.
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
Me and dad went together and bought a 49 flat head V8
I wasn’t much more than 15 of so at the time
The ole man would get drunk and have me choffering him all over the place
Drank a few myself
Ole car would run right at 105 on top end if I remember right
Was driving up rt 33 one day and went to pass this little ole lady in a nova Chevy II , early sixties model
SS
She had both hands white knuckled on the wheel and I floored it as she sped up , shhhiet , she sucked me up her exhaust pipe
Slowed down and let me catch her again and walked off and left me again
Never saw her again
Kenneth

Paid 85.00 for it
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
My Dad was a fan of 1949-50 Ford coupes and convertibles.

This was one of his favorite car movies. Stars Robert Mitchum and a 1950 Ford and co-stars a '57 Ford.

Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/06/23
My dad and one of my great-aunts had those cars, but both were black. That's what I learned to drive in.
Originally Posted by CCCC
That is a very good looking old Ford - am thinking that style might have been called a Tudor - but certainly will look a lot better when that fellow is finished with it. The post-war Fords through '48 were starting to look stodgy and Ford made a big splash with that body redesign. Chev and Ply also made big shifts. That flathead V8 gave the Ford a quickness edge over the other two, but the entry of the Chev 265 in '55 changed that situation.

LOL.

You're probably right. Dad said Tudor and I heard Two Door.
Dad one in the 70’s. If I remember correctly, there was no key. You would flip a switch and mash the accelerator to the floor to start it!
Same color too!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/07/23
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
Dad one in the 70’s. If I remember correctly, there was no key. You would flip a switch and mash the accelerator to the floor to start it!
Same color too!

It may have hade a floor starter. It's kinda like the old floor dimmer. He would floor the accelerator because that's how you start a carb engine if the car is cold.
Posted By: cv540 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/07/23
Nice. Keeping original engine or....
Posted By: SAM50 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/07/23
I love when you post these. Your Dad is a master at restorations. I rarely miss the Barrett Jackson auctions on tv and I’ve never seen better. I hope he has many more years of doing this
Posted By: RIO7 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/07/23
I had a 1949 Tudor with a Flat head Six 3 on the tree and over drive when I was in High School, drove the hell out of it, then bought a 1951 Tudor that had been wrecked, put whole new front end on it from another wreck,nosed and decked it removed door handles, did a tuck and roll interior painted it pale sky blue, had a 1951 Olds V-8 with a 4 Barrel--headers--cherry's, put a B&M Hydromatic Tranny in it, turned out to be bad ass, love the old shoe box Fords. Rio7
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/07/23
Originally Posted by RIO7
I had a 1949 Tudor with a Flat head Six 3 on the tree and over drive when I was in High School, drove the hell out of it, then bought a 1951 Tudor that had been wrecked, put whole new front end on it from another wreck,nosed and decked it removed door handles, did a tuck and roll interior painted it pale sky blue, had a 1951 Olds V-8 with a 4 Barrel--headers--cherry's, put a B&M Hydromatic Tranny in it, turned out to be bad ass, love the old shoe box Fords. Rio7

That was a nice hotrod. The Early Oldsmobile OHV Rocket V8s were ticket for many years.
Posted By: DMc Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/07/23
That's a beauty! I wonder if the people bringing these antiques in to your dad are in a specific car club?
Posted By: joken2 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/07/23
Not sure but it looks like that '50 Ford may be what was known as a 'Business Coupe' -- no backseat, deep rear window deck, allowing for a huge trunk storage space.
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/07/23
Originally Posted by DMc
That's a beauty! I wonder if the people bringing these antiques in to your dad are in a specific car club?

No nothing like that.
Originally Posted by joken2
Not sure but it looks like that '50 Ford may be what was known as a 'Business Coupe' -- no backseat, deep rear window deck, allowing for a huge trunk storage space.

This has two bench seats.
Originally Posted by cv540
Nice. Keeping original engine or....

No idea.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/07/23
Business coupe was a name Chevy used, if memory serves.
Posted By: pal Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/07/23
Originally Posted by Heym06
Business coupe was a name Chevy used, if memory serves.

My dad had a '49 Ford Business Coupe
Nope, that Ford is a coupe. The sedan had a longer roof and longer rear side windows. I've owned all the shoebox Fords 49's,50's,51's.
Nope, that Ford is a coupe. The sedan had a longer roof and longer rear side windows. I've owned all the shoebox Fords 49's,50's,51's.
Posted By: carrollco Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/07/23
One of the first cars I remember as a 49 yellow Mercury, oh a flathead, fender skirts and OD transmission. Daddy was know for being a good mechanic who could really tune flatheads. He also raced them on dirt tracks. We lived on Delta Street when it was still gravel and he would left the drive and have gravel “rooster tails” behind him. He bought tires from a neighbor who worked at Sears. They had to adjust em out bout every 3 months and Mr Lloyd complained about this and his driving habits. No tire will stand up to your driving. Don’t offer the warranty if you don’t want to honor it is what he was told.
Posted By: CCCC Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/07/23
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
I am certainly no expert on the Ford models, but with a closer look, I do think you are correct about the Coupe designation - seems like the Tudor had a slightly longer rear window with some sort of vertical trim/divider. Nice car, anyway.
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/08/23
I Googled a bit last night and this one is a 2 door coupe I do believe.
Posted By: Malcolm Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/08/23
The engine compartment on a restore can be pretty impressive.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/08/23
That's a beautiful old car. My dad had a '49, but I never saw it.

Are you sure that's not a '49? I always thought the '50 was the same body except the grill didn't have the round nose in the middle like the '49 did.
The 49 and 50 both had the single bullet grill. The difference is the parking lights. 49 has triangular shaped lights at the end of the grill bar, and the 50 has the squared-off light below it. 51 has a 2-bullet grill, bigger tail lights, and a long chrome spear ahead of the tail lights along the rocker panel. Body panels, doors and windows are identical 49-51. 51 hood and front fenders are different.
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/09/23
Originally Posted by RiverRider
That's a beautiful old car. My dad had a '49, but I never saw it.

Are you sure that's not a '49? I always thought the '50 was the same body except the grill didn't have the round nose in the middle like the '49 did.

Just going off what my old man said and he’s the one ordering parts and materials so I suppose he knows wtf he’s talking about. LOL
Posted By: RiverRider Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/09/23
Well, how about that...I suppose he does. I always thought the '51s I've seen were 1950 models, ever since I was about five years old. Maybe that '49 the old man across the street had when I was four years old was actually a 1950.

My life has been a lie!

LOL.
I think the hood emblem below the hood ornament makes it a 50.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
The 49 and 50 both had the single bullet grill. The difference is the parking lights. 49 has triangular shaped lights at the end of the grill bar, and the 50 has the squared-off light below it. 51 has a 2-bullet grill, bigger tail lights, and a long chrome spear ahead of the tail lights along the rocker panel. Body panels, doors and windows are identical 49-51. 51 hood and front fenders are different.
The 49 had a gas tank filler & cap on the left rear quarter, the 50's & 51's had a flush filler door.
Posted By: pal Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/09/23
The '51 had pushbutton door releases.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/09/23
I look at that and I think one word…STEEL 😁
Posted By: drover Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/09/23
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln

The biggest tell on the '49 is the trunk lid hinges - they are external on the '49, on the 50 and later they were internal

drover
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/10/23

You could haul a lot of moonshine in that trunk.
Those trunk hinges say 49, the rest of the car says 50. Weird, maybe a 49 with a 50 front clip, FrankenFord.
Posted By: drover Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/10/23
Those trunk hinges say 49, the rest of the car says 50. Weird, maybe a 49 with a 50 front clip, FrankenFord.

I am missing what you are saying. To the best of my recollection the '49 and '50 were the same except for the external trunk hinges. The '51 had a grille change where they went to the dual bullets in the grille, is that what you are thinking of?

drover
Posted By: Robb10238 Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/10/23
I am not as familiar with the Forc nomenclature but I know my ‘56 Chevy is called the businessman’s coupe. Two door hardtop as bare bones as you could get. No carpet, no clock, no radio and straight six with 2 speed power glide. Nothing extra or fancy at all.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/10/23
Originally Posted by drover

I am missing what you are saying. To the best of my recollection the '49 and '50 were the same except for the external trunk hinges. The '51 had a grille change where they went to the dual bullets in the grille, is that what you are thinking of?

drover

Someone pointed out earlier the shape of the parking lights in the front bumper being different between the '49 and the '50. It's subtle, but there is a visible difference.
Posted By: DMc Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/10/23
Fascinating how many Fire members are knowledgeable about the fine details of a 73 year old car.
Posted By: pal Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/10/23
Originally Posted by DMc
Fascinating how many Fire members are knowledgeable about the fine details of a 73 year old car.

True trivia. smile
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/10/23
Cool car.

Glad we have come a long ways though.
Us old geezers who grew up driving these cars could spot subtle year and design differences from half a mile away. 1946-48 Ford coupes came in two versions. The regular coupe had rear windows that swung out for ventilation, a medium-length trunk lid, and a back seat. The "business coupe" had a longer trunk lid, shorter quarter windows that didn't swing out, and no back seat. The big trunk was preferred by salesmen who carried lots of merchandise and sold it from the car. Whiskey runners also liked the extra trunk room. I drove a 47 business coupe when I was in high school.
Posted By: Dumdum Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/10/23
That brings back a memory for me. My cousin and I were about 4 years old, standing up on the back seat of his dad's 1950 Ford while he was driving. I kept begging my uncle to launch the torpedo that was peeking out from the front of the car. He was laughing.
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/13/23
Headliner, carpet and door panels are in. Working on the seats now.

Posted By: Craigster Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/13/23
Originally Posted by RiverRider

drover

Someone pointed out earlier the shape of the parking lights in the front bumper being different between the '49 and the '50. It's subtle, but there is a visible difference.

The judges at the Concourse won't miss any and all details.
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/14/23
While this is a pretty nice car, it's not on the level of the show cars Dad does.
Posted By: pal Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/17/23
Gorgeous work.

drover
The parking lights on the 49 & 50 are completely different. The 49 had a gas cap sticking out the left quarter, the 50 had a flush mounted gas door.

drover
The parking lights on the 49 & 50 are completely different. The 49 had a gas cap sticking out the left quarter, the 50 had a flush mounted gas door.
Posted By: Higginez Re: 1950 Ford 2 Door Coupe - 11/17/23
I stopped in to see Dad earlier this week and there were a few 80 year olds arguing over what year it was. LOL

Both learned to drive in a car just like it!

Pretty entertaining.

Pics of the gas door later today.
© 24hourcampfire