Home
Posted By: IZH27 Best looking big rig - 11/20/23
My son and I have spent the last two days traveling to Wyoming. We’ve seen a lot of semis on the road. We both have reached the conclusion that the Peterbuilt tractors are the best looking.

Is there a better looking rig out there today?
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Best looking big rig - 11/20/23
Kenworth Mack
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Best looking big rig - 11/20/23
Like this old school

Attached picture E1B75DDD-7BF2-4DD9-B474-897CC881E148.jpeg
Posted By: Woodsman1991 Re: Best looking big rig - 11/20/23
Hard to top a Kenworth W900 long hood or a Peterbilt 389.
Posted By: pal Re: Best looking big rig - 11/20/23
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
Hard to top a Kenworth W900 long hood or a Peterbilt 389.

The early Mack and Peterbilt with the narrow grill are better looking.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Best looking big rig - 11/20/23
Anything but a COE. Lamest looking rigs on the road.

Old ones have some serious cool factor though.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Best looking big rig - 11/20/23
You tube...Hangin' loose with Jake Bast at Super Rigs, old school Pete done in California hotrod style. It's a real every day working truck. shameless plug...he's my son in law.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Best looking big rig - 11/20/23
KW, or the Peterbilt. Beautiful.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Best looking big rig - 11/20/23
Star.

Or an old MARMON.

The square hood trucks are a classic look.
They suck donkey balls to drive.

A PACCAR or old Star ride nice, but visibility out of them is horrible.
That hood and filyers hide a pile of real estate.
The cramped jeep sized cab hooked to a big sleeper and the stacks set up a situation
where the whole trailer disappears for awhile when you are backing up.

Guys scoff if you bring all that up. Because they are superior!

I like a comfortable, easy to drive, safe truck.
Ain't lookin' at it when I'm driving.
Driving is when I'm making 💰!
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Best looking big rig - 11/20/23
A KW or Pete long hood that hasn't been "murdered out"
Posted By: Teal Re: Best looking big rig - 11/20/23
I tend to like a W900 or 359/379 quite a bit but honestly - a tasteful K100 or Peterbilt 362, I like them quite a bit, especially pulling a bull wagon.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
It all depends if I’m paying the fuel bill or someone else is!
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
Always thought the older Western Star looked good. Otherwise Pete or KW
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
Caterpillar had the best looking tractor
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
All the Peterbilt's are built in Denton, Texas. I've known a number of people that work there. Pretty cool company.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
Originally Posted by gsganzer
All the Peterbilt's are built in Denton, Texas. I've known a number of people that work there. Pretty cool company.
They are indeed, they throw a get together once a year for the Pete worshipping faithful, invitation only... they really roll out the welcome mat, kind of a hall of fame thing. You don't have to buy a fleet of Petes...the owner operators that run and beautifully maintain the classics are honored just as well.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
Originally Posted by flintlocke
You tube...Hangin' loose with Jake Bast at Super Rigs, old school Pete done in California hotrod style. It's a real every day working truck. shameless plug...he's my son in law.

I had to look that up. Here ya go

Posted By: jackmountain Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
Marmon
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
Thanks Too Dogs, I was just gettin' used to electric lights in the house...and then they comes out with computers.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
Back in the early 70's Diamond Rio, Western Star, and Autocar... but our trucks were all day-cabs, we didn't have room for those fancy sleepers. We needed the room for winches and, gear decks and toolboxes. Each truck basically had to carry everything needed to move anything. That was when I was moving machinery. Last rig I had was a 2010 Pete 357 Tri-axel with setback front and a 50-ton National crane mounted with a 28' bed, pulling a 28' tilt bed trailer. Was a good rig but didn't like all the computerization. Don't like the new trucks...

Phil
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
I’m not sure of model numbers on these. I’ve seen a few of the Peterbuilts that have the double fenders over the drive tires.

Dang. With that low stance and short cab and long hood. Maybe a bit of art deco in the details? Reminds me of a well equipped Indian motorcycle.
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Back in the early 70's Diamond Rio, Western Star, and Autocar... but our trucks were all day-cabs, we didn't have room for those fancy sleepers. We needed the room for winches and, gear decks and toolboxes. Each truck basically had to carry everything needed to move anything. That was when I was moving machinery. Last rig I had was a 2010 Pete 357 Tri-axel with setback front and a 50-ton National crane mounted with a 28' bed, pulling a 28' tilt bed trailer. Was a good rig but didn't like all the computerization. Don't like the new trucks...

Phil

Only time you’ve spent in a big rig was on your knees on the floor board working as a lot lizard.
[bleep]-head, I could out work you any day of the week. That last job was planting new freeway signs on every freeway in Southern California. Assembled them, hauled them, and set them... ran the auger digging 6' diameter holes 37' deep. Ran the backhoe and loaded out the dirt, helped building the forms, set the rebar cages and assisted in pouring the concrete, then set the freeway signs, which I had to haul behind the crane. And when I wasn't hauling 48' signs behind the crane, I was hauling the backhoe on the trailer. This was all nighttime freeway work in the middle of traffic. So, [bleep] you... every trip was a permitted load, over length, over width, and overweight. And on a time limit.

Phil
[bleep]-head, I could out work you any day of the week. That last job was planting new freeway signs on every freeway in Southern California. Assembled them, hauled them, and set them... ran the auger digging 6' diameter holes 37' deep. Ran the backhoe and loaded out the dirt, helped building the forms, set the rebar cages and assisted in pouring the concrete, then set the freeway signs, which I had to haul behind the crane. And when I wasn't hauling 48' signs behind the crane, I was hauling the backhoe on the trailer. This was all nighttime freeway work in the middle of traffic. So, [bleep] you... every trip was a permitted load, over length, over width, and overweight. And on a time limit.

Phil

You couldn’t hang with me til lunch on a Monday, just like every other worthless union Fugk.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
Peterbuilt
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
Best lookin' rig is the one who backs up to the loading chute on time and gets 'em home safe!
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23

Phil

Phil
W
Who you? You California commie welfare supporting prick! I’ve worked more in my sleep than you ever have! And trucking??? Let’s see so 8 hrs on 4 off or what’s the dot regs? I’ll work ur ass in the dirt during spray of NH3 season come to the Midwest let’s see how long you last
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Peterbuilt
Peterbilt
Apparently, you stupid-[bleep] you don't even know the regs... when you can lay down a 1,500-ton forging press, drag it outside, and get it on the trailer using a winch and down boards, you let me know...

Phil
Apparently, you stupid-[bleep] you don't even know the regs...

Phil

Cali is regulating glory holes now?
Doesn't matter what anyone is doing now... I've been retired for years.

Phil
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
Originally Posted by wabigoon
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Wabi - that’s the ass end of a stock trailer.

What’s the front if the tractor look like?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
I don’t know anything about semis, but every other year there’s a truck show/fundraiser for special Olympics in Joplin, MO. Close to 1000 trucks doing convoy, truck pull, concerts, etc. it’s quite the event to see everything from modern day trucks back to 1950s show trucks and any and everything in between.

https://chromeshopmafia.com/gbats-2023-convoy-special-olympics-donations-tallied/
I currently have a 379 Pete
I like it but much prefer my previous w 900 kw
Better mirrors gauges are bigger and easier to see
Steered better at low speed and just a tad more cab room
Personally A model kenworth W900 is the best looking rig
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Best looking big rig - 11/21/23
When I was a kid I thought my uncles truck was pretty damn cool.

Cab over Brockway with a double breasted Yamaha.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Best looking big rig - 11/22/23
Surprised no one has mentioned the Pacifics... maybe not the best looking, but the biggest and heaviest built for highway use, and the longest lasting doing everyday hard work. Believe they were picked up by some Canadian company in the mid to late 70's, but still used worldwide today. Most all were used for logging, extra heavy moves, and house and building movers.

Phil
They ain't making them like they used to.

And just wait for electric crap to take over the highways.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Best looking big rig - 11/22/23
Originally Posted by Teal
I tend to like a W900 or 359/379 quite a bit but honestly - a tasteful K100 or Peterbilt 362, I like them quite a bit, especially pulling a bull wagon.

I miss seeing the cab-overs around.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Best looking big rig - 11/22/23
I get a kick out of the big log trucks in Ontario.
© 24hourcampfire