Home
Posted By: shootem Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
What do y’all have on the bar for open consumption? Our’s I’ll describe shortly but let me say it has been a sip and enjoy not a 10 shots in a row consumption.

Firstly there had to be a Scotch and the choice was Glenlivit 12 year old 80 proof. Yet I cannot understand the morality of sending such an ABV to the states. To go with the single malt we chose an American single grain Whistlepig 100% rye called Piggyback at 96.56 proof. Next a 100% heirloom white corn spirited in Asheville, NC, aged for 7 years and presented at 90 proof. And to add a blue blood Bourbon we took Baker’s 107 proof 7 year aged. Finally Wild Turkey 101 proof Rye. I do not know the mash bill of this whiskey but what I do know is it was the first to disappear. It is an extremely good< $30 drink.

An interesting aside, I noted we had a 100% Rye, Barley, and Heirloom Whit Corn on hand. Was drawn to the challenge of blending the various single grains. I’ll leave the results for you to figger out. All in all it has been an enjoyable time eating, sipping, deer hunting with family and friends. This, even though I have yet to hit the fields.

Hope your Thanksgiving is turning out as well as hours. Praise god for the USA !!!
Posted By: EdM Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
I have Weller but will likely be drinking a Bloody Mary early, Moscow Mules later and Negronis thereafter...
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Originally Posted by shootem
What do y’all have on the bar for open consumption? Our’s I’ll describe shortly but let me say it has been a sip and enjoy not a 10 shots in a row consumption.

Firstly there had to be a Scotch and the choice was Glenlivit 12 year old 80 proof. Yet I cannot understand the morality of sending such an ABV to the states. To go with the single malt we chose an American single grain Whistlepig 100% rye called Piggyback at 96.56 proof. Next a 100% heirloom white corn spirited in Asheville, NC, aged for 7 years and presented at 90 proof. And to add a blue blood Bourbon we took Baker’s 107 proof 7 year aged. Finally Wild Turkey 101 proof Rye. I do not know the mash bill of this whiskey but what I do know is it was the first to disappear. It is an extremely good< $30 drink.

An interesting aside, I noted we had a 100% Rye, Barley, and Heirloom Whit Corn on hand. Was drawn to the challenge of blending the various single grains. I’ll leave the results for you to figger out. All in all it has been an enjoyable time eating, sipping, deer hunting with family and friends. This, even though I have yet to hit the fields.

Hope your Thanksgiving is turning out as well as hours. Praise god for the USA !!!

I’m not much into sipping but I will tip the bottle and take one or two good swallows of knob creek 12 occasionally before bed. I never even liked bourbon until a couple months ago when I tried this.
Our local store just got a couple cases in yesterday but at $65 a pop (pint?) bottle I better find a cheaper alternative.
I have a bottle of Russels I’m wanting to try, I was pretty happy with Evan Williams BIB but couldn’t find it this time. It’ll take most of a year for me to finish this bottle, so I’m hoping its good. Bourbon is pretty well the only thing I drink, beer has never been something I enjoyed.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
probably will open a bottle of Henry McKenna 10 year
Just bought that one for elk camp. Never had it before. I really liked it.
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Firecontrol,

Russell's is good, but you may also want to try Jefferson.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Cant go wrong with Old Crow
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Old Granddad , bottled in bond . Ice won't hurt it.

Ain't for pussys.
Posted By: akrange Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Ran Across a Bottle of Hill Haven BIB probably have to Drink the Whole Bottle Tomorrow to put Up the Clusters F’ck’s at the Thanksgiving Ordeal..
Having some Connemara peaty Irish Whiskey today. (and tomorrow!)

Then some Old Granddad in a Kentucky Mule.

Happy Thanksgiving! Virgil B.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
My in laws will be here shortly pending their flight landing on time, for their first trip to the US since before COVID. I expect my FiL will bring some sort of 40+ year old scotch.

To counter with bourbon I will probably open an Elijah Craig 23.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Lagavullin 16 years. Just having a tiny sip nightly.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Same ol busch
Posted By: Raeford Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Originally Posted by NH Hunter
Firecontrol,

I'll be sippin Jefferson's starting tonight.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
I have some Cherry bounce brewing for the holidays.

Took a (cheap) chance on Plantation Original Dark Rum for $20. It turned out well, much more flavor than any Bourbon I can think of under ~$50. Very good. Could cause me to kick the Bourbon habit.
Posted By: Technoman26 Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Originally Posted by Raeford
Firecontrol,

But which Jefferson's? I'm partial to Jefferson's Ocean Aged myself although we just polished off a "regular" bottle of Jefferson's at deer camp last week. smile
Can people do anything without booze?
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Most can do most everything.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Originally Posted by Raeford
Firecontrol,

But which Jefferson's? I'm partial to Jefferson's Ocean Aged myself although we just polished off a "regular" bottle of Jefferson's at deer camp last week. smile

I've done the Ocean a time or two.

This weekend will be the Reserve[nabbed on sale a while back].

I keep a bottle or two of Very Small Batch on hand at all times though.
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Just the base Jeffersons for me.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Glendronach 15 or Redbreast 12 Cask strength tomorrow for Thanksgiving.

Probably some Uncle Nearest 1884 or Four Roses Small Batch Select tonight.

I may finish off my bottle of JD Single Barrel Barrel Proof Friday.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23

I can but I choose not to.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23

If this is your choice, great !

But why enter this thread, at all, let alone comment on it, if this was your intent ?
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Originally Posted by EIB0879

I can but I choose not to.

As is, every bodies right !
Posted By: RHOD Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/22/23
Probably have a rum old fashioned or two while the turkey is finishing up and then wine with dinner.
Posted By: Full3r Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
Started with a red stag and sprite after work. Working winterizing so tried to keep it light. But have a bottle Bookers and a bottle of Rare breed to crack with friends Friday.

Never seem to go with out tho…
Posted By: shootem Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
I neglected to mention the name of that heirloom corn likker. It’s Troy & Sons Oak Reserve. 7 year version. Don’t be put off by the all corn mash bill. According to my uneducated palate there are no “notes of green apple on the sip followed by remnants of vanilla fudge” but it is good. Not like corn I’ve had before. Interesting to do a blend with 100% rye and Scotch based on your own desires. But neat or with a couple ice cubes it ain’t bad at all.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
I haven't had much since I had my valve job back in April but I just had a small pour of a Buffalo Trace barrel pic that is so dang good I'll miss it when it's gone
Gonna have a glass of EH Taylor Single Barrel. Been waiting to try it.
Originally Posted by akrange
Ran Across a Bottle of Hill Haven BIB probably have to Drink the Whole Bottle Tomorrow to put Up the Clusters F’ck’s at the Thanksgiving Ordeal..

Wife has became recently estranged with her family after a short stint of trying to make amends, Just in time for the holidays so fortunately we’ll only have to suffer through my family dinner(s). Me and the boy are heading to the cabin early AM to hide from any such festivities.
Elmer T. Lee, neat.
Posted By: Full3r Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
Originally Posted by Timbermaster

This is excellent sipping whisky. I have a small stash put away of it that gets a nip now and then
Vodka tonic tonight

Will be pounding Modelos tomorrow
Jim Beam devil's cut
Posted By: EdM Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
#3 Negroni down...
Posted By: akrange Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
I Got a Simple Plan

All Ya Gotta Do is Put a Drink in My Hand ..
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
Was in the likka store this afternoon..........went with the Benchmark 8........
Posted By: mathman Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Was in the likka store this afternoon..........went with the Benchmark 8........

Big spender. grin
Posted By: Sweets Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
Homemade wine
Originally Posted by Timbermaster

That's a good one.

Nothing that fancy here, some local hazy and American pale ales and probably some wine with dinner tomorrow.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
No secret that I do some sippin, about 85%, no 90% there tonight. But if ya read The menu post you'd know that my consumption won't be much tomorrow.

No room.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
Haven't been home in near a year to pick through my share of our allocation so am down to my stash:

About a dozen or so of each of these left....PLUS+++ I scored a case of OF 1920 and Heaven Hill 7 year BIB...it's all good...

[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_0060.jpeg
Posted By: gunzo Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
Oh! tonight? If i can type it.

Smirkenoff & Freska.

If I drink tomorrow it will likely be this, but mucho hours after the meal. Or maybe a Bloody Mary if time in the AM
Posted By: BillAF84 Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
Just got a new bottle of Jim Beam Black. Disinfect an ice cube with it, tastes fine. Sits on the shelf next to my son's 12 yr old single malt scotch. We keep good company at my house.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by SCgman1

Big spender. grin

Not only that, there was this hot chic standing there staring at the bourbons as if she had no clue what to buy.......

So, i just confidently stroll over and grabbed my Benchmark off the bottom shelf, "excuse me maam, while i grab this"

Women like confidence in a man.
Posted By: kragman1 Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
Tomatin Decades, which was pretty disappointing when I broke the seal 3 months ago but has come to life with a little time to breathe.

Looking forward to it.
Posted By: gunner8305 Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
7&7. Will probably spike the late morning coffee with some Baileys Irish Cream!
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/23/23
Here's how to make Cherry Bounce.

Start with a bottle of high-proof spirits. It can be Bourbon, Rum, Vodka or Brandy. I prefer Everclear, because I like the final product to be 80+ proof.

[Linked Image from kingdomliquor.com]

Throw in a bag of cherries, either tart or sweet. You can use cherry juice too. If you are macerating cherries, you'll need at least a couple weeks. A couple months is better. Some people like a few cinnamon sticks in it too.

[Linked Image from earthboundfarm.com]

A week or two before serving, add your water and sugar to bring it down to approximately the final proof you desire. Don't ever drink/eat anything over about 130 proof, it can burn your throat. You can serve it with the cherries in it as a bonus.
Originally Posted by Jahrs
I’m not much into sipping but I will tip the bottle and take one or two good swallows of knob creek 12 occasionally before bed. I never even liked bourbon until a couple months ago when I tried this.
Our local store just got a couple cases in yesterday but at $65 a pop (pint?) bottle I better find a cheaper alternative.

I'm into this one currently, and am well-pleased. It's hard to find around here, and certainly @ $65 a bottle.

Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
I have a bottle of Russels I’m wanting to try, I was pretty happy with Evan Williams BIB but couldn’t find it this time. It’ll take most of a year for me to finish this bottle, so I’m hoping its good.

Russell's is my everyday pour, and probably my Deserted Island bourbon, too. I'm glad I've settled at this reasonable price point, rather than the super-high-end stuff.

That being said, I used to buy it for $26/bottle, & now it's $42+ here. I find myself migrating up to Rare Breed, feeling that $49 for 25 more proof points & more complex flavor is a damned fine bargain.

Happy Thanksgiving,

FC
Posted By: mathman Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/24/23
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Don't ever drink/eat anything over about 130 proof, it can burn your throat.

My bottle of 143 proof George T. Stagg hasn't hurt me yet. Of course, I'm not slamming shots of it.
Posted By: EdM Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/24/23
A few 7X Mules earlier and now sipping a Gordon's Negroni watching the 9'ers. Off to chase quail in the AM with two sons. A tradition disrupted by the freeze and COVID. Always a fun morning and Mexican lunch.
Posted By: B_n_C_Buck Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/24/23
Had a Sam Adams Octoberfest followed by some Coopers' Craft 100. Not a bad way to finish off Thanksgiving.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/24/23
Hit a bit of Rare Breed.

Gobble gobble!
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/24/23
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Don't ever drink/eat anything over about 130 proof, it can burn your throat.

My bottle of 143 proof George T. Stagg hasn't hurt me yet. Of course, I'm not slamming shots of it.
It's not like it goes from harmless to vicious in 10 proof points or something. But alcohol is a debriding agent from 18% on up.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9051497/

Of course, you won't notice it in your mouth at that concentration, but hold some Everclear in your mouth for 30 seconds and tell us what it does.

I'm not here to cramp your joy, but I'd enjoy that Stagg over ice.
Posted By: mathman Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/24/23
Philistine 😁
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Thanksgiving Sippin’ - 11/24/23
Philistine 😁
LOL! I'm just glad you ignored the cherry bounce thing. It's *really* not for me. It's for the ladies, I swear! laugh
© 24hourcampfire