Home
So I’m out checking cattle today and smell sulfur. I start heading upwind and the horse looses it mind and I hear loud bubbling. I go on foot aways further and find this?

Pretty good size little volcano kinda deal gurgling up hot mud. Texas coast area. No pipelines or active wells for at least 1.5miles any direction.

I have 2 videos I took of it bubbling and gurgling and the ground all around it was like walking on a waterbed. The water is HOT. I don’t know how to post the videos.

Strange stuff I thought only happened in Yellowstone park.

Attached picture IMG_3062.jpeg
What the Frack?
That hole is about 4x8ft and maybe 6 ft deep.
No fracking anywhere close.
If someone knows how to post 15-20 second videos I’ll send them to you to post.
Can you post the video to YouTube?
Corps of Engineers can probably point you in the right direction.
Not the same thing
But I have seen smaller ones in the west side of SLC Utah growing up.
When my parents found out where we were going they forbid us to go back to that area of town.

As per my parents there was an old dump in that area many years before I was born.
It caught on fire and they bulldozed it over trying to smother the fire.

And years latter it was still burning underground and was creating these smudge pot type smoking bubbling hot holes all over the area.

They would not let anyone build on that area and there was a trucking outfit that built right up to it.
The truckers would toss their used pop bottles over the fence and us kids would go there and collect up the bottle for spendin money.

We heard of a kid falling into one of those holes and he got burned up pretty good.
https://www.tiktok.com/@mlogan713/video/7085394738953719083

<blockquote class="tiktok-embed" cite="https://www.tiktok.com/@mlogan713/video/7085394738953719083" data-video-id="7085394738953719083" style="max-width: 605px;min-width: 325px;" > <section> <a target="_blank" title="@mlogan713" href="https://www.tiktok.com/@mlogan713?refer=embed">@mlogan713</a> <p>Is this the first mud pots discovered in Texas?</p> <a target="_blank" title="♬ original sound - Marisa Logan" href="https://www.tiktok.com/music/original-sound-7085394707605392170?refer=embed">♬ original sound - Marisa Logan</a> </section> </blockquote> <script async src="https://www.tiktok.com/embed.js"></script>
You’ll know it’s not good when it looks like this one:

[video:youtube]
[/video]
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Corps of Engineers can probably point you in the right direction.

The last thing you want involved is the US government. Sheesh
No .gov allowed out here. Been there done that.

I guess either the devil finally caught up to me or there’s gonna be a damn earthquake or something.
Kinda got me spooked
We have lots of hot springs across southern Idaho, literally hundreds of them. Some are out in the lava fields, some are in the high mountains. Some are large enough to have been developed for spas, home heating, and geothermal power generation.

suggestion: look into filing a water right on it if no one else has done it. That hot water can be valuable.
You got reason to be spooked

“cowboy, change your ways today
Or with us you will ride
Trying to catch the devil's herd
Across these endless skies”
I’m in for the answer on this one
You may want to get an actual geologist to check that out. It might be something as simple as an ancient hot spring coming back to life or the precursor to something bigger. A quick googlefoo and I didn't see any hot springs in that area of Texas so at first glance it looks like a anomaly, and that could be a problem. You might want to be careful carousing around that area as well and maybe temporarily fence it off to keep the cows out of there. That Sulphur smell can be associated with hydrogen sulfide which can be deadly in high enough concentrations.

Keep us updated and post more pics.
Originally Posted by HNIC
No .gov allowed out here. Been there done that.

I guess either the devil finally caught up to me or there’s gonna be a damn earthquake or something.
Kinda got me spooked

Now you know where to dispose of the bodies. 👍🏼
What part of the Texas coast
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
You’ll know it’s not good when it looks like this one:

[/video]
This was actually my first thought.
I would get someone on the ground there pronto, and stay away from it! Could be many things, H2S may be volcanic but may be rotting organic matter, oxidizing sulphur etc.

Hard to tell without being there and also looking at local maps etc.
Any metals deposits that area?
Oh it’s just Henry Kissinger just stoking the fire.😆

You might want to wear a H2s monitor 😆
Pretty cool to find.
A lot of Texas is hot underground, it's a vent.

Geothermal energy plants would be pretty common in Texas if they weren't so exspensive to build.

[Linked Image from electrek.co]

https://electrek.co/2023/01/25/texas-geothermal-energy/

TEXAS COULD LEAD A GEOTHERMAL ENERGY BOOM

Was there ever an oil well there, or exploratory oil drilling?
I’m a petroleum geologist.

First there aren’t any volcanoes on the Texas coast as it’s a passive margin. What you are looking at is probably a surface seep and I would bet it’s associated with a fault that has broached the surface. Is there any evidence of oil associated with what is bubbling up?
Looks like global warming.
There are an estimated 200 volcanoes in Texas
I would avoid it in case there is H2S. Maybe find someone to test for it. H2S will travel downhill and settle in low spots. It will kill your ability to smell after breathing a little and kill you or anything else. I have heard of herds of cattle being killed in Mississippi from leaks at well sites.
Texas Tea !!
Any fault lines in your area?
Originally Posted by earlybrd
There is a fault line that runs up and down the Texas coast.
Call your local (as much as anything is local in Texas!) University and ask the geology department to come take a look.

Don't fool with the sulfur smell! It's a warning. I worked in the Elk Basin field one summer and it's dangerous stuff if ignored.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by earlybrd
There is a fault line that runs up and down the Texas coast.

There are several "fault" lines running through Texas. The Balcones Fault is the best known. IH35 out of Oklahoma down into San Antonio pretty much follows the Balcones Fault.
There is another minor fault that comes out of the Wichita Mtns north of Wichita Falls (Ft Sill, OK) that follows US Hwy 81.
We get what I call "fanny tickler" tremors quite often. Probably 2 or 3 times a year.
Hell if I know but how bout some Sons of the Pioneers music??
That had to be a little unnerving walking around on that spongy ground.

The horse knew what's up.
Originally Posted by 35
Texas Tea !!
Ask Jed Clampett, he got rich finding that.
No oil that I can see this morning and no rainbow sheen on the surface.
It’s bigger today and I now have a H2S monitor and have been asked to get a sample.
No oil that I can see this morning and no rainbow sheen on the surface.
It’s bigger today and I now have a H2S monitor and have been asked to get a sample.

Use a long pole...that waterbed effect you mentioned in your OP is a clue!?
What county is this in?
Looks like you live by the azzhole of Texas.
That would scare the sheet outta me.
Keep us posted. Best interesting story today.
Was Hillary near?
Texas has a whorehouse in it, Lort have mercy on its soul

Where are the resident Oil Change-ologists ? 🤦🏻
Run, run far away before it engulfs you; or at least bring some marshmallows to toast.

[Linked Image from lateet.com]
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have lots of hot springs across southern Idaho, literally hundreds of them. Some are out in the lava fields, some are in the high mountains. Some are large enough to have been developed for spas, home heating, and geothermal power generation.

suggestion: look into filing a water right on it if no one else has done it. That hot water can be valuable.
There was an incident in the Boise foothills near a hiking trail a few years ago. There was a little hot mud pot/spring which had been covered with some boards at some time in the past. It seems the boards had rotted away and some old gal out of Boise was walking her dog up the trail, and allowing it to wander freely. The dog fell into the hot water/mud and was fatally burned.

All hell broke loose on the local news for a week or two. Somebody has to be responsible for this! etc, etc.

And nobody dared tell the bitch that maybe it was her fault for letting her dog run free.

But anyway, if the mudpot mentioned was found on my property, I would consider building a tight fence around it. Trespasser proof!
Have you considered shooting fireworks at it?

That's pretty stange, but maybe you can sell healing mud baths too tourists now.
What county?

Without any more info, my guess would be an abandoned oil well that was not P&Aed properly.

Either that, or it’s Beto’s Fault.
Originally Posted by Muffin
https://www.tiktok.com/@mlogan713/video/7085394738953719083

<blockquote class="tiktok-embed" cite="https://www.tiktok.com/@mlogan713/video/7085394738953719083" data-video-id="7085394738953719083" style="max-width: 605px;min-width: 325px;" > <section> <a target="_blank" title="@mlogan713" href="https://www.tiktok.com/@mlogan713?refer=embed">@mlogan713</a> <p>Is this the first mud pots discovered in Texas?</p> <a target="_blank" title="♬ original sound - Marisa Logan" href="https://www.tiktok.com/music/original-sound-7085394707605392170?refer=embed">♬ original sound - Marisa Logan</a> </section> </blockquote> <script async src="https://www.tiktok.com/embed.js"></script>

Easy for you to say.
Not a volcano developing. But like mentioned before could be a fissure from a fault line that breached the surface. If you’re sure it’s hot (boiling) water inside it could be associated with the fissure and a hot spring like activity could be forming. Something similar to what you may see at Yellowstone hot springs. If you are smelling sulfur, and especially if it’s strong, I would avoid the area. There could also be a release of carbon dioxide, which you know you can’t smell but can be deadly. Especially if you start to see any dead animals/critters in the area then you really want to avoid the area and get help. Good luck and it’ll be interesting to know what’s going on if you ever get it examined by someone.
Western Harris county. Yea where Houston is. I work on the last ranch (9600 acres) in Harris County near Katy.
There’s 4 of these total now. The other 3 just bubbling hot stinking water, reaks of sulphur. One has bubbled enough to fill a DU wetland project that has been dry for at least 2 years.
I got a sample of the boiling mud today. Wore a H2S monitor and it never showed any signs of it.
Used a long pole and a cut Gatorade bottle tied on the end.
It’s definitely getting bigger. And deeper

Found out the local gun range named Hot Wells once had a place long ago where people bathed in hot mineral water to cure their ails.
It’s just weird this stuff just popped up.
Someone message me their email or number if you know how to post a 18 second video.
And again. No old wells that are platted or pipelines anywhere close
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Looks like global warming.

Looks more like global warning.
Any new source of ground water? Recently filled reservoir or extra rain? Anything that would make an artesian spring surface.

Have you cross posted on any geology sites?
Western Harris county. Yea where Houston is. I work on the last ranch (9600 acres) in Harris County near Katy.
There’s 4 of these total now. The other 3 just bubbling hot stinking water, reaks of sulphur. One has bubbled enough to fill a DU wetland project that has been dry for at least 2 years.
I got a sample of the boiling mud today. Wore a H2S monitor and it never showed any signs of it.
Used a long pole and a cut Gatorade bottle tied on the end.
It’s definitely getting bigger. And deeper

Found out the local gun range named Hot Wells once had a place long ago where people bathed in hot mineral water to cure their ails.
It’s just weird this stuff just popped up.

The groundwater has likely dropped due to overpumping, drying up hot springs in the area.
OP WILL BE POSTING VIDEOS SOON

[Linked Image]
HNIC: (Your monicker makes me laugh!) I say walk carefully around that spot/situation! Do you know how long its been there?
I have spent a LOT of time in Yellowstone Park and in the "hotsprings" all around it but haven't seen that sort of thing.
Thanks for sharing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
HNIC: (Your monicker makes me laugh!) I say walk carefully around that spot/situation! Do you know how long its been there?
I have spent a LOT of time in Yellowstone Park and in the "hotsprings" all around it but haven't seen that sort of thing.
Thanks for sharing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

From what I remember it looks like the "paint pots" but darker color.
Your settings are on private
obviously im illiterate on the computer and cant post the videos hopefully the member i sent them too can help a non-computer savvy person out
HNIC's TEXAS MUDPOT VIDEOS
Harris County near Katy Texas December 2023

It's a pretty cool find.

I have been able to find zero information, images or videos of of anything like it coming out of Texas online.

Could be due to terminology used for Key words in my searches.

Maybe instead of 'mudpot' I should have used 'fracking mishaps'?

What Causes A Mudpot?

A Mudpot “or Mud Pool” is a sort of acidic hot spring, or fumarole, with limited water. It usually takes the form of a pool of bubbling mud. The acid and microorganisms decompose surrounding rock into clay and mud.

A mudpot is a natural double boiler!

Surface water collects in a shallow, impermeable (usually due to a lining of clay) depression that has no direct connection to an underground water flow. Thermal water beneath the depression causes steam to rise through the ground, heating the collected surface water. Hydrogen sulfide gas is usually present, giving mudpots their characteristic odor of rotten eggs. Some microorganisms use the hydrogen sulfide for energy. The microbes help convert the gas to sulfuric acid, which breaks down rock into clay. The result is a gooey mix through which gases gurgle and bubble.

The mud of a mudpot takes the form of a viscous, often bubbling, slurry. As the boiling mud is often squirted over the brims of the mudpot, a sort of mini-volcano of mud starts to build up, sometimes reaching heights of 3–5 feet. Although mudpots are often called “mud volcanoes”, true mud volcanoes are very different in nature. The mud of a mudpot is generally of white to greyish color, but is sometimes stained with reddish or pink spots from iron compounds. When the slurry is particularly colorful, the feature may be referred to as a paint pot.

Mudpots form in high-temperature geothermal areas where water is in short supply. The little water that is available rises to the surface at a spot where the soil is rich in volcanic ash, clay and other fine particulates. The thickness of the mud usually changes along with seasonal changes in the water table.

https://www.geologypage.com/2016/05/mudpot.html
Neat! Blessing is it's not in one's yard or under his home.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Your settings are on private

No, it's public.

YT makes it a tad bit more complicated if a upload is less than 1 minute in length it automatically becomes a 'short' and isn't as easy to post here without some complications.
HNIC,
Any changes or updates?
I'm hoping someone can load those videos.
Tagged for interest.
Originally Posted by rainshot
Was Hillary near?

It appears as though her twat was...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Someone message me their email or number if you know how to post a 18 second video.
I've asked that a number of times over the years. I've never got a reply other than learning how to use youtube.
[Linked Image from usagif.com]
Any updates on this?
Originally Posted by JeffA
HNIC's TEXAS MUDPOT VIDEOS
Harris County near Katy Texas December 2023

Looks like something you'd see in Yellowstone
I think he done got too close to it and sucked in.

LOL !

[/video][/quote]

He's too busy buildin a boardwalk, buyin a few Buffalo and a sign that says "$50 a carload".
© 24hourcampfire