Home
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Miss you, dad. - 12/07/23
Today would have been your 100th.

Turning 18 the day they bombed Pearl Harbor, what a birthday present.

Thanks for being a great role model. I may raise my kids a bit differently than you raised me, but I'm certainly not raising them any better.

Really wish you were here.
Posted By: efw Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/07/23
Sorry for your loss.

Today is the 20th anniversary of my mother’s passing. She was 56 and had suffered for about 25 years with a severe case of Lupus which they’d treated with massive doses of prednisone & ibuprofen. She had multiple strokes, a kidney transplant, diabetes, and ultimately died of a heart attack in her sleep due to the heavy toll the disease and treatments took on her body.

She was always suffering but would talk about how she felt fortunate not to suffer like other people did. Always found and served others who in her mind had it worse. Never complained.

Not trying to hijack sincerely sorry for your loss!
Posted By: Simplepeddler Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/07/23
Makes my heart smile when I see men honoring their dads.

I hope I can live a life that makes my sons honor me like I strive to honor my dad!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/07/23
There is never a good time to lose a parent. He was, and still a good man.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/07/23
Originally Posted by wabigoon
There is never a good time to lose a parent. He was, and still a good man.
This ^^

We lost our cousin Guiher Gene Greenwood on this date in 2017. ON December 8th 1941, he took the walk from the senior high school to the post office and signed up for the draft. He was one month from turning 18. He spent 32 years in the Airforce retiring in 1975. There is something different about December 7th beyond the obvious. I can't seem to put a finger on it but seems to be something "different".

kwg

GGG
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/07/23
December 4, my dad would have turned 113. Drafted in February 1942, at 31 years old, he joined thousands of much younger men to fight the Japs in the Philippines…
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/07/23
Dec 3 my Dad would have turned 88. Gone a year and a half. Can't rush to send pictures or tell him hunting stories anymore although I find myself still wanting to. This season just lacks that special something.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/07/23
My dad died when he was 50. I was 20. I still dream about him sometimes. Our fathers are special. My Mom and Dad's anniversary was December 5.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/07/23
I wish we could all have 100 years with a great Dad. Dad was a WWII vet as well. Born in1921 and a bombardier/navigator instructor surviving two crashes. He went on leave before going to England and was told Germany capitulated. So he was released from the Army Air Corps. Guess he would be 102 this year. He tried to raise me right. It is OK to miss your Dad. Honoring him means he raised you right and it took! RZ.
Posted By: kendibs Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/07/23
My dad has been gone over 22 years and I think about him every single day since (multiple times/day).
Honest, every day. Greatest man I ever knew. I was very very lucky.

-Ken
Posted By: jar Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/07/23
I am very sorry , it is hard to be without our parent !!! today is my mothers Birthday she was born on dec 7th 1940 . we lost her on jan 30th 2007 her name is Nancy lee Roberson (DeBoever) I would give my left arm just to hear her laugh one more time !!!!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
"I read something like, No man is a Dad, until his Dad dies." No man behind you.
Posted By: jar Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"I read something like, No man is a Dad, until his Dad dies." No man behind you.
Boy that says it all !
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
Dad would be 95, now.
He was a hard-core hardass, whom I love (still) dearly.
His 6 sons and 1 daughter (I'm told) are almost as hard.
He died 1/25/00, and I still feel the need to call him for my morning azz-chewing.
Miss you, Dad!
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
It'll be 10 years this December 13 when I lost my Dad. There are so many things I wished I had talked to him about.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
I miss my Dad during the year, but especially when I hear the Christmas song "I'll Be Home for Christmas." It was a special song for my parents, because they lived it. Dad was in the 82nd AB 325th Glider Inf., and was in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. There was a couple Christmases where they didn't know if they would ever see each other again. You could see it in their faces when that song was playing, that it was more than just a song.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
If I wasn't getting an ass chewing from my dad regularly something wasn't right!

Lost him in 2017
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
Scott, I'll bet you are a chip off of the old block and your dad is looking down and smiling right now.

God bless.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
My Dad was on the school board when I was in high school. After school, He told me Herb Bones, the superintendent, said, he didn't think a boy that did not get into trouble once in a while amounted to much.
Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler

I hope I can live a life that makes my sons honor me like I strive to honor my dad!
Amen to that!
I know a couple people who had bad relationships with their parents, whatever the reason, and it really makes me realize how truly blessed I was to have a Mom & Dad that we’re always there for me.
There ain’t a day that I don’t think of both of them, and thank God for them both.
If you had a Dad that was a true Dad, and a Mom who was the same (blood or friendship), you have my congratulations.
If not, you have my sympathy. You missed out on what I consider two of the greatest blessings in my entire life.
Reon
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
My dad would be 103 today.
Lost him in 1981 at age 60. Massive CHF.
Much too young to die of old age.
I'm 73.
Though my dad meant the world to me, the man I admired the most was his dad, my paternal grandfather.
1893-1974
Served in WW I.
He had 2 sons, when WWII rolled around, he volunteered at the age of 48. His hopes were, if he volunteered, his sons would not have to serve.
He never showed it or talked about it, but his service (May 1919 through Armistice) scarred him deeply.
Posted By: dpd Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
Lost my dad in November last year. Lost my mom
this November. They died a year and a week apart. Not a day goes by that I do not think about them and miss them . They were great parents. Not perfect but always did their best . I had the honor of taking care of both of them until they passed away . Dad was 87 . Mom was 88. I am a blessed man to have had them both for so
long .
Posted By: BoltactionMan Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
Mine passed 17 years ago November 30. It was a Thursday just like last week, thought about that all weekend. Sorry for all who posted, sorrier still for those who didn’t have what I had.

KC
Posted By: Jericho Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
My dad and I didnt talk about stuff like we should have when I was growing up. But he told me that if I join the military, that I would see "dogs eating dogs". He was so correct........
Posted By: mwarren Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Today would have been your 100th.

Turning 18 the day they bombed Pearl Harbor, what a birthday present.

Thanks for being a great role model. I may raise my kids a bit differently than you raised me, but I'm certainly not raising them any better.

Really wish you were here.

Thanks for making this post. It was nice to reflect. I too had a great Dad and Mom. I miss them both and hope that I'm doing a good job raising my kids.
Posted By: Border Doc Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler

Our lives have been touched by many people who knew and respected our parents and those of that generation.

We will be fortunate if we can eventually repay that aggregation of friends and family in some way by our advocacy for freedom, liberty and independence, honesty, love and pride in the accomplishments of our parents and their cohorts by fostering a new decade of our responsible offspring determined to do what is right.

They are facing significant opposition.

Courage and dedication are required.

I pray that my boys are up to the task. They have already made marks in medicine, security and IT that I'm unable to comprehend. Bless them all.

Yeah, miss you, Dad. You, too, Mom.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Miss you, dad. - 12/08/23
🙏🏻
© 24hourcampfire